RemedySpot.com

RE: Advice on Doctors that prescribe combination therapies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi - and welcome to our Forum. I hope you will get all the help and support you need here.

I am sorry to hear about your kidney functioln deterioation and understand why the thyroxine alone couldn't work for you. Thyroxine (T4) is an inactive hormone and it has to convert through the kidneys and liver to the active hormone triiodothyronine (T3). T3 is the hormone that has to get into every cell in your body to make everything function.

You CANNOT just stop taking T3 - you will possibly go back to what you were like before. I understood that there was only one brand of Tertroxin that was no longer available - and I still can't really find out what is happening. Go onto our Website www.tpa-uk.org.uk and get everything you can on Armour, and also go to our Files on this forum and you will find lots of info. there too. Have a look on my original little website for letters you can send your doctor asking for a trial of Armour and other papers http://www.armourinfo.freeuk.com

Get this information to your endocrinologist as soon as possible and ask him to read it. There are some endocrinologists who will recommend Armour for their patients, but as it is unlicensed, they majority are reluctant to prescribe it because they have been given wrong information as to its potency - Armour is an excellent thyroid replacement as it contains all the thyroid hormones needed to keep the body functioning.

Luv - Sheila

Hi. I am a new member. I have had Hashimoto's Disease for 15+ years. I also have an immuno-related kidney disease which has resulted in kidney failure. As my kidney function deteriorated, the synthetic thyroxine became ineffective although the blood levels are seriously distorted by the kidney failure and show "normal" levels of T4 and TSH without tertroxine. About 5 years ago after 3 years of suffering from unbearable fatigue, muscle and leg pain, severe shortness of breath, extreme weight gain while starving myself, loss of eyelashes, brain fog, etc. (and thinking I was surely dying) my nephrologist agreed to prescribe tertroxin 20mcg to me in addition to 150mcg of eltroxin. After only a few days of treatment, most of the symptoms began to disappear and my nephrologist agreed that it was a miracle drug. It also helped to stabilise a sharp deterioration in my kidney function which is now 24% and only losing about 1% function per year. Unfortunately, with the discontinuance of tertroxine by the manufacturer my GP has decided I should just stop taking T3. Now I face the battle of trying to find a good endocrinologist who is not terrified of the kidney failure and will prescribe me an alternative like armour. In the end, I have been taking tertroxine and eltroxine for 5-6 years so it should not make a difference to substitute something like Armour, but it still seems like an uphill battle with the medical system. I did see the list of "Doctors that will" but would appreciate any advice on which of the Doctors in London is most likely to be sympathetic and willing to deal with my situation.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.7/1234 - Release Date: 20/01/2008 14:15

Hi,

Tertroxin is available by it's generic name Liothyronine Sodium. This has caused all sorts of problems. Maybe knowing this he will reconsider?

Unfortunately, with the discontinuance of tertroxine by > the manufacturer my GP has decided I should just stop taking T3.>/> Think you know your TV, music and film? Try Search Charades!

As doctors have been told they should be prescribing the generic this should please him.

Lilian

Tertroxin is available by it's generic name Liothyronine Sodium. This has caused all sorts of problems. Maybe knowing this he will reconsider? Unfortunately, with the discontinuance of tertroxine by > the manufacturer my GP has decided I should just stop taking T3.>/>

Hi Sheila,

Gold shield decided to repackage Tertroxin ( liothyronine sodium) which was in

100 pill containers into 28 pill containers labeled Liothyronine Sodium-

Just dropping the trade name.

I didn’t get any for 3 months

over this and am still waiting for my prescription from Dr. Skinner to be

rewritten to comply with the change.

I understood that there was only one

brand of Tertroxin that was no longer available - and I still can't really find

out what is happening.

Luv - Sheila

I wonder whether all the pill manufacturers will have to make their packages into 28 day supply, to be in accordance with what seems to be universally changing to only being allowed to prescribe a months supply of any drugs at one time.

Lilian

Gold shield decided to repackage Tertroxin ( liothyronine sodium) which was in 100 pill containers into 28 pill containers

Many thanks - so if I understand this correctly, if anybody has been prescribed Tertroxin and their doctors now tell their patients this is no longer available, all the doc has to do is to write a prescription for Liothyronine instead.

Luv - Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Gold shield decided to repackage Tertroxin ( liothyronine sodium) which was in 100 pill containers into 28 pill containers labeled Liothyronine Sodium- Just dropping the trade name.

I didn’t get any for 3 months over this and am still waiting for my prescription from Dr. Skinner to be rewritten to comply with the change.

I understood that there was only one brand of Tertroxin that was no longer available - and I still can't really find out what is happening.

Luv - Sheila

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.7/1234 - Release Date: 20/01/2008 14:15

Hi Sheila,

That’s it! Liothyronine

Sodium instead of Tertroxin.

Many thanks - so if I

understand this correctly, if anybody has been prescribed Tertroxin and their

doctors now tell their patients this is no longer available, all the doc has to

do is to write a prescription for Liothyronine instead.

Luv - Sheila

Hi

Sheila,

Gold shield decided to repackage Tertroxin ( liothyronine sodium) which was in

100 pill containers into 28 pill containers labeled Liothyronine

Sodium- Just dropping the trade name.

No virus found in this

incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.7/1234 - Release Date: 20/01/2008

14:15