RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Iodine and depression ~

Rate this topic

Guest guest

There would probably be more correlation to not having enough thyroid hormone, and maybe having Fibromyalgia. Just and interesting sidenote, I also gave up smoking in 1997. I was never a big drinker, so I still just have it once in a while. claudia <claudia_homer@...> wrote: Hi Roni,Thank you for your concern (o:. I don't have the energy or concentration to go into all the gory details. But here's some of it. I'm self treating for long standing health

problems. No insurance and low finances. But I ordered one small Iodoral yesterday (thursday) from breast cancer resources (I think it was). So will see if it helps get the thyroid hormone to work. Been a lifelong meat disliker (meat eaters are less likely to be iodine deficiant)and have lived mostly in iodine low areas. Did feel better, sorta, on the coast in conneticut. But have been in denver since 79. Have never felt right my whole life, kinda shy, reclusive, foggy headed, prone to depression.I gave up drugs and started to go menopausal around end of 95 and started to feel sick around then. Quit cigs in 97 and quit drinking around 2001. Instead of feeling better (you'd think) I kept feeling worse. Chronic pain all over for years and "dead" from the neck up. I can't do the things I love like running, weight training, or improving myself to make more money. Thyroid hormone (thyroid-s)helps some, progesterone

doesn't do anything even though it's was very low (don't have labs). Anyhoo, it's been a detective story on my own learning from others. I hope this will be a piece of the puzzle. I was just wondering if there was any correlation between iodine and your brain working better. And if anyone has seen an improvement after using it. I will raise very slowly and watch. If I get better any at all, I'll pass on the info. Thanks for listening. ~ > Has anyone come

across any articles on iodine deficiency and depression > and or dullness of thinking, detachment from reality. Thank you in > advance. I have to drag myself into work. ~ > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

There would probably be more correlation to not having enough thyroid hormone, and maybe having Fibromyalgia. Just and interesting sidenote, I also gave up smoking in 1997. I was never a big drinker, so I still just have it once in a while. You might check with your town, county and state, to see if they have a health insurance program that you could be on if you can't afford any. It's worth looking online, or a few phone calls. Roni claudia <claudia_homer@...> wrote: Hi Roni,Thank you for your concern (o:. I don't have the energy or concentration to go into all the gory details. But here's some of it. I'm self treating for long standing health problems. No insurance and low finances. But I ordered one small Iodoral yesterday (thursday) from breast cancer resources (I think it was). So will see if it helps get the thyroid hormone to work. Been a lifelong meat disliker (meat eaters are less likely to be iodine deficiant)and have lived mostly in iodine low areas. Did feel better, sorta, on the coast in conneticut. But have been in denver since 79. Have never felt right my whole life, kinda shy, reclusive, foggy headed, prone to depression.I gave up drugs and started to go menopausal around end of 95 and started to feel sick around then. Quit cigs in 97 and quit drinking around 2001.

Instead of feeling better (you'd think) I kept feeling worse. Chronic pain all over for years and "dead" from the neck up. I can't do the things I love like running, weight training, or improving myself to make more money. Thyroid hormone (thyroid-s)helps some, progesterone doesn't do anything even though it's was very low (don't have labs). Anyhoo, it's been a detective story on my own learning from others. I hope this will be a piece of the puzzle. I was just wondering if there was any correlation between iodine and your brain working better. And if anyone has seen an improvement after using it. I will raise very slowly and watch. If I get better any at all, I'll pass on the info. Thanks for listening. ~ > Has anyone come across any articles on iodine deficiency and depression > and or dullness of thinking, detachment from reality. Thank you in > advance. I have to drag myself into work. ~ > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

I was going to say " It's all about money " but then you said it. LOL! It is

idiotic and it makes me mad because I believe I would not have gotten cancer

had there been enough iodine in my diet. I was told I was allergic to it

because I am allergic to shell fish. It is the protein I am allergic to ( I

find out now) not the iodine. So I was killing myself because the stupid

doctor was clueless. :(

Re: Iodine and depression ~

> Hi ,

>

> Excellent!!! Thank you so much for the info here and in the other

> post above. I do take selenium for the last year and 2-3000mgs of C,

> plus magnesium chloride and abunch of other things. 2-3 grams of

> real salt daily too. Will be ready when the Iodoral gets here.

> If something so simple as this will lead to improvement in health,

> I'll be extatic. But at the same time I'll be completly disgusted

> (to put it mildly) at the idiocy (sp?) of the powers that be for

> removing what little iodine we had in our food supply. And not

> figuring this out along time ago. What is their problem, grrrr! I

> know, follow the money.

> Thank you to you, Steph, and all the other pioneers out there for

> what you all are doing. ~

>

>

>

>> >> Has anyone come across any articles on iodine

> deficiency

>> > and depression

>> >> and or dullness of thinking, detachment from reality. Thank you

> in

>> >> advance. I have to drag myself into work. ~

>> >>

>> >>

>> >>

>> >>

>> >>

>> >>

>> >> ---------------------------------

>> >> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with

> Mobile.

>> > Try it now.

>> >>

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

Iodine is not an effective detoxer of mercury. It does push it out but that

is not it's main task. You need to remove the source of the toxin and then

use chelators designed for mercury.

> --Hi,

> I had a thyroid test and they said was just fine. That was the only

> test I have had. I am using the Lugol's Iodine, swabbing a circle

> and sleeping less like you are even though I still sleep more than

> normal. Was wondering if the iodine was helping me detox from the

> mercury? Wonder if over time I could be all right without the

> expensive treatment? Thanks,

>

>

> - In iodine , " janiebeau " <JanieBea@...> wrote:

>>

>> I wanted to add that I feel great ... as in, not needing as much

> sleep

>> as I used to but I still have some issues that I am working on.

> For

>> one, very low temp and freezing cold all the time. I go back to

> see Dr.

>> B in a few weeks. Hope to fix all soon...lol.

>> I know not having insurance and not much money makes it very hard

> to

>> go see a good Dr but if there is ANY way you can save up enough

> money

>> and find a good one that will check EVERYTHING for you, it will be

>> SOOOO worth it for you.

>> Janie

>>

>> Anyway, now that I am on the iodine, I

>> > feel GREAT!! I still sleep alot at night but NO naps during the

> day

>> > anymore. I don't need them for the first time in YEARS. I

> wouldn't

>> give

>> > up my iodine now for nothing!

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I take Optimox C-500. www.optimox.com

Steph

>>

>>

>> > Hi ,

>> >

>> > Excellent!!! Thank you so much for the info here and in the

> other

>> > post above. I do take selenium for the last year and 2-3000mgs

> of C,

>> > plus magnesium chloride and abunch of other things. 2-3 grams of

>> > real salt daily too. Will be ready when the Iodoral gets here.

>> > If something so simple as this will lead to improvement in

> health,

>> > I'll be extatic. But at the same time I'll be completly

> disgusted

>> > (to put it mildly) at the idiocy (sp?) of the powers that be for

>> > removing what little iodine we had in our food supply. And not

>> > figuring this out along time ago. What is their problem, grrrr! I

>> > know, follow the money.

>> > Thank you to you, Steph, and all the other pioneers out there for

>> > what you all are doing. ~

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >> >> Has anyone come across any articles on iodine

>> > deficiency

>> >> > and depression

>> >> >> and or dullness of thinking, detachment from reality. Thank

> you

>> > in

>> >> >> advance. I have to drag myself into work. ~

>> >> >>

>> >> >>

>> >> >>

>> >> >>

>> >> >>

>> >> >>

>> >> >> ---------------------------------

>> >> >> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with

>> > Mobile.

>> >> > Try it now.

>> >> >>

>> >> >

>> >> >

>> >> >

>> >> >

>> >> >

>> >> >

>> >> >

>> >> >

>> >> >

How much Iodine is there in 1 drop of Lugol's (2% and 5%) solution?

A vertical drop of 5% Lugols = 6.5mg Iodine

Note: this is one drop, not a dropperful.

2%

You would have to take 2 1/2 vertical drops of the 2% solution to make 6.5mg.5 vertical drops of the 2% should equal one tablet of Iodoral

I wanna know how much Lugol's I might take if doing the drops? I was

afraid to ingest so just swabbed on. When I think I've had enough I

back off 4 or 5 days.

It is expensive but IMHO - cheap insurance for me if it keeps cancer at bay.

Steph

Dr B suggested Iodoral but dang, yes its a lot of $$$ so I decided to use Lugol's and Dr B said thats fine. MUCH cheaper! So in the morning, along with all my vitamins and all, I put 8 drops of lugol's and 1 tsp. Celtic salt in water and down it. I have never liked salt, not even a little so to me it is medicine to be downed quickly :-)

I wish you a speedy recovery to GREAT health!

Janie> Did you start right off at 50mg? Sounds expensive. I'll have to start > off slowly at 1/2 tab, cuz of lack of moola (money,lol). But > something is better than nothing. Take care. ~

that is a great description of how I have been most of my life. I never realized how different life could be on thyroid meds and iodine.

Gracia

I guess, detachment from reality might not accuratly discribe this state. That might make it sound too "psycho" (o;. It's hard to discribe to others who aren't living it all the time. I guess it is more like not being self aware, clear. Like all the senses aremuddied, and there is no boundry between your body and everything else. A couple of times in my life, along time ago, I remember an intense self-awareness come flooding over me, where everything aroundme became crystal clear for maybe not even one minute. Colors sharper, everything sharper and clearer. Like I was separate. The way it should be. Very uncomfortable feeling. Then it would all fade away to fuzz. So anyway, it will be interesting to see how iodine added to the mix works. Got my fingers crossed! ~ > >Yes, this one by Dr.Schachter talks about iodine-deficiency and > depression:> http://www.mbschachter.com/Iodine.htm> detachment from reality sounds a bit more like belonging to > psychology/psychiatry and an article linking this to nutrient-> deficiencies, although not specifically iodine I found here:> http://www.synthesiscenter.org/articles/0132.pdf> . > > Has anyone come across any articles on iodine deficiency and > depression > > and or dullness of thinking, detachment from reality. Thank you in > > advance. I have to drag myself into work. ~ > >>

Here is an amazing article that ran this weekend on treatment of bipolar

disorder with aggressive nutritional supplementation. I have heard of this

before, but the article goes into some details about the history. Pigs can

develop mood disorders and farmers know immediately to give them better

nutrition. But we are not half as smart with people!

So a Canadian farmer who’s wife and two children developed severe bipolar

disorder, copied his pig’s supplements and experimented with them and turned

their health around. Now a Harvard psychiatrist is interested in studying

the nutritional support method for correcting depression etc.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=26b385cf-a2a3-4f5f-a5b

8-320206496759 & k=20077

And , if you body doesn’t like meat, it is telling you something. You

may need a more plant based diet and lighter forms of protein. There is a

huge range of metabolisms and food that is great for me may not do you any

good at all.

Karima

On 1/7/08 4:07 AM, " claudia " <claudia_homer@...> wrote:

Yay Gracia! You are on the " other side " . I hope to meet you there. ~

-- In iodine <mailto:iodine%40> , " Gracia "

<circe@...> wrote:

>

> that is a great description of how I have been most of my life. I

> never realized how different life could be on thyroid meds and iodine. Gracia

>

>

>

> I guess, detachment from reality might not accuratly discribe this state. That

> might make it sound too " psycho " (o;. It's hard to discribe to others who

> aren't living it all the time. I guess it is more like not being self aware,

> clear. Like all the senses are muddied, and there is no boundry between your

> body and everything else. A couple of times in my life, along time ago, I

> remember an intense self-awareness come flooding over me, where everything

> around me became crystal clear for maybe not even one minute. Colors sharper,

> everything sharper and clearer. Like I was separate. The way it should be.

> Very uncomfortable feeling. Then it would all fade away to fuzz. So anyway, it

> will be interesting to see how iodine added to the mix works. Got my fingers

> crossed! ~

>

>

The tinyurl link does work. I found this article very interesting. My husband has struggled with depression for a long time. He has tried all kinds of different medications .. always looking for the magic bullet. I have been (just recently) pushing myself with going to husband's three month "prescription check" appointment to his psychiatrist. When I bring up all of the side effects and ask about "alternatives", I get basically ridicule (what I feel anyway) from both my husband and his psychiatrist. I'm thinking that maybe I will send this article "anonymously" to husband's doctor. It's great to read articles such as this!! It gives people hope. Best, Glo Neysa Dormish

<neysa37@...> wrote: claudia wrote: Thank you Karima, That sounds very interesting! I couldn't get the link to work though. Searched there for pigs and nutrition and 0 came up )o:. Help, please. ~ ... try this link;http://tinyurl.com/2usdwq

I haven’t yet read the article, but I have experienced bipolar (second hand) as it affects my former husband’s family. Think of sitting in the front row of a roller coaster next to your spouse with your children right behind—a roller coaster that doesn’t stop.

Fortunately, my son & I are both very EVEN keeled people, or I was (despite fairly continuous major life stressors) until recently when nothing alleviated an increasingly fragile mental state. I was given a Vit.D test for pain issues, and discovered that link (also Magnesium is implicated in pain). Of course, my GP at the time (supposedly monitoring the tests) did not know what to look for—only looking at ranges anyway—and left me severely deficient until looking into Vit.D myself. BioTech D3 is so nice and small (esp the 5000 & 50,000 IU).

My psychiatrist MD has suggested 1000 mg EPA/Omega 3 (altho, actually I asked about the bottle that had appeared on his bookshelf). Last time, he mentioned that studies have recently shown that have shown .25-.35 (I think) on 1000 mg total Omega3, .70 correlation to AD on 2000 mg, .92 on 4000 mg.

Personally, am hypothyroid w/Hashis and a ferritin level that went from 37 to 16 in five months etc and think that is a MAJOR part of the equation (former GP missed that too).

IOn 1/8/08 9:45 AM, " janiebeau " <JanieBea@...> wrote:

Thank you Karima for sharing that awesome article! That really gives people hope in finding healthy cures for depression and many other mental health issues.

When I was going through my 7 yr. long depression, I was just too messed up to even tell my Dr. how bad I felt. It was too much mental energy to explain. I am VERY thankful that, that part of my life is over, but it still makes me feel angry to think that if I had just found the right Dr. One that would have known how to treat me with the right vitamins and minerals and IODINE!!! I wouldn't have had to go through that hell for 7 LONG years. Mine came on SO suddenly and hit me so hard, my brain wasn't even functioning enough to think of the right thing to do... to look up information about it, to seek a holistic approach to it all. And my husband, bless his understanding heart, just was doing his best at getting through each day dealing with this wife that he didn't marry...lol.

I really hope that in the near future, MANY more Dr.'s will start re-thinking the way they treat patients and look deeper into holistic medicine for cures.

Janie

This article has a standard nutrient protocol that impacts bipolar, so there

may be some common metabolic issue behind this terrible disease. That is one

of the reasons that I found metabolic typing and diversity so compelling. It

adds another layer to the puzzle of health and nutrition. Why some people

feel great on a vegetarian diet and others like me feel terrible unless we

eat meat two to three times a day.

There was a psychiatrist who explored autonomous nervous system balance

(Gellhorn, E. (1967). The tuning of the nervous system: Physiological

foundations and implications for behavior. Perspectives in Biological

Medicine). Too strong sympathetic nervous system makes people anxious,

hyper, angry. Too strong parasympathetic nervous system makes people

depressed, lethargic and spacey.

According to theory, foods and supplements can support or inhibit either

side. This makes something like the calcium/ magnesium balance much more

profound for me.

If we are each born with a different metabolic balance, one that may favor

one side or the other, of the ANS we can unbalance ourselves further through

our dietary and supplement choices. I know that I did, and only just

recently have started to figure out how to eat and supplement for balance.

I sure wish I knew how iodine feeds into this model.

Karima

On 1/8/08 6:45 AM, " janiebeau " <JanieBea@...> wrote:

Thank you Karima for sharing that awesome article! That really gives people

hope in finding healthy cures for depression and many other mental health

issues.

When I was going through my 7 yr. long depression, I was just too messed up

to even tell my Dr. how bad I felt. It was too much mental energy to

explain. I am VERY thankful that, that part of my life is over, but it still

makes me feel angry to think that if I had just found the right Dr. One that

would have known how to treat me with the right vitamins and minerals and

IODINE!!! I wouldn't have had to go through that hell for 7 LONG years. Mine

came on SO suddenly and hit me so hard, my brain wasn't even functioning

enough to think of the right thing to do... to look up information about it,

to seek a holistic approach to it all. And my husband, bless his

understanding heart, just was doing his best at getting through each day

dealing with this wife that he didn't marry...lol.

I really hope that in the near future, MANY more Dr.'s will start

re-thinking the way they treat patients and look deeper into holistic

medicine for cures.

Janie

-

A long article for a newspaper—thank you very much, Karima.

I have enormous respect for Popper—he knows and can articulate the subtle differences between ADHDm & BiPolor in children. A superb speaker if anyone has the opportunity (as is Stanley Tureski—The Difficult Child—who thinks on his feet like no one I have ever seen). Both are child psychiatrists.

On 1/8/08 9:45 AM, " janiebeau " <JanieBea@...> wrote:

Thank you Karima for sharing that awesome article! That really gives people hope in finding healthy cures for depression and many other mental health issues.

When I was going through my 7 yr. long depression, I was just too messed up to even tell my Dr. how bad I felt. It was too much mental energy to explain. I am VERY thankful that, that part of my life is over, but it still makes me feel angry to think that if I had just found the right Dr. One that would have known how to treat me with the right vitamins and minerals and IODINE!!! I wouldn't have had to go through that hell for 7 LONG years. Mine came on SO suddenly and hit me so hard, my brain wasn't even functioning enough to think of the right thing to do... to look up information about it, to seek a holistic approach to it all. And my husband, bless his understanding heart, just was doing his best at getting through each day dealing with this wife that he didn't marry...lol.

I really hope that in the near future, MANY more Dr.'s will start re-thinking the way they treat patients and look deeper into holistic medicine for cures.

Janie

>

> Here is an amazing article that ran this weekend on treatment of bipolar

> disorder with aggressive nutritional supplementation.

Did anyone see the PBS Frontline program on psych drugs for children?? How horrible--the goiters on the children, the mothers with thyroid problems---how horrible. What a disgrace our "healthcare" system has become.

Gracia

Janie>> Here is an amazing article that ran this weekend on treatment of bipolar> disorder with aggressive nutritional supplementation.

Thanks for the heads up on that show. I am watching it online right now http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/medicatedchild/ The sad thing is that the things they are discussing are what my son went through. Rages and many more were common for him before thyroid medication and iodine. He is like a new kid and no psychiatric drugs. :(

I watched DJ's story and it is no wonder that child has issues. His meal was a corn dog (loaded with transfats and nitrates), goldfish crackers and blue gatorade. Where the heck is the nutrition in that? Dyes preservatives and transfatty acids. It makes me sick to see this.

Steph

Re: Re: Iodine and depression ~

Did anyone see the PBS Frontline program on psych drugs for children?? How horrible--the goiters on the children, the mothers with thyroid problems---how horrible. What a disgrace our "healthcare" system has become.

Gracia

Janie>> Here is an amazing article that ran this weekend on treatment of bipolar> disorder with aggressive nutritional supplementation.

I posted the link to this article yesterday on a depression support board whereby I (previously) had been getting some feedback/support on all the prescription meds that my husband has been on for the past 4 years. The people there were (basically) very supportive in that they confirmed my suspicions ..as far as it was (IS) those new(er) meds that has been causing extreme changes in my husbands personality/outlook, etc. I posted this link under the "alternatives" area on this particular BB. It saddened me to see how many people shot this (and other alternatives) down. They are so "in-tuned" to a just meds only approach (IMO) that anything else that may be introduced is considered total quackery. I think that this is very, very sad. ~Glo Karima Pijanka <karirom@...> wrote: This article has a standard nutrient protocol that impacts bipolar, so there may be some common metabolic issue behind this terrible disease. That is one of the reasons that I found metabolic typing and diversity so compelling. It adds another layer to the puzzle of health and nutrition. Why some people feel great on a vegetarian diet and others like me feel terrible unless we eat meat two to three times a day.There was a psychiatrist who explored autonomous nervous system balance

(Gellhorn, E. (1967). The tuning of the nervous system: Physiological foundations and implications for behavior. Perspectives in Biological Medicine). Too strong sympathetic nervous system makes people anxious, hyper, angry. Too strong parasympathetic nervous system makes people depressed, lethargic and spacey.According to theory, foods and supplements can support or inhibit either side. This makes something like the calcium/ magnesium balance much more profound for me.If we are each born with a different metabolic balance, one that may favor one side or the other, of the ANS we can unbalance ourselves further through our dietary and supplement choices. I know that I did, and only just recently have started to figure out how to eat and supplement for balance.I sure wish I knew how iodine feeds into this model.KarimaOn 1/8/08 6:45 AM, "janiebeau" <JanieBeaaol>

wrote: Thank you Karima for sharing that awesome article! That really gives people hope in finding healthy cures for depression and many other mental health issues.When I was going through my 7 yr. long depression, I was just too messed up to even tell my Dr. how bad I felt. It was too much mental energy to explain. I am VERY thankful that, that part of my life is over, but it still makes me feel angry to think that if I had just found the right Dr. One that would have known how to treat me with the right vitamins and minerals and IODINE!!! I wouldn't have had to go through that hell for 7 LONG years. Mine came on SO suddenly and hit me so hard, my brain wasn't even functioning enough to think of the right thing to do... to look up information about it, to seek a holistic

approach to it all. And my husband, bless his understanding heart, just was doing his best at getting through each day dealing with this wife that he didn't marry...lol.I really hope that in the near future, MANY more Dr.'s will start re-thinking the way they treat patients and look deeper into holistic medicine for cures.Janie-

We can send our comments to the “Discussion” section. Let them know it’s ridiculous that they didn’t mention one thing about nutrition or natural methods. All the kids on there obviously had bad diets, deficiencies, including magnesium deficiencies (creates tics and anxiety), and they probably had bad subluxations of the atlas and axis vertebrae, which any upper cervical chiropractor can fix. ladybugsandbees <ladybugsandbees@...> wrote: Thanks for the heads up on that show. I am watching it online right now http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/medicatedchild/ The sad thing is that the things they are discussing are what my son went through. Rages and many more were common for him before thyroid medication and iodine. He is like a new kid and no psychiatric drugs. :( I watched DJ's story and it is no wonder that child has issues. His meal was a corn dog (loaded with transfats and nitrates), goldfish crackers and blue gatorade. Where the heck is the nutrition in that? Dyes preservatives and transfatty acids. It makes me sick to see this.

Steph Re: Re: Iodine and depression ~ Did anyone see the PBS Frontline program on psych

drugs for children?? How horrible--the goiters on the children, the mothers with thyroid problems---how horrible. What a disgrace our "healthcare" system has become. Gracia Thank you Karima for sharing that awesome article! That really gives people hope in finding healthy cures for depression and many other mental health issues. When I was going through my 7 yr. long depression, I was just too messed up to even tell my Dr. how bad I felt. It was too much mental energy to explain. I am VERY thankful that, that part of my life is over, but it still makes me feel angry to think that if I had just found the right Dr. One that would have known how to treat me with the right vitamins and minerals and IODINE!!! I wouldn't have had to go through that hell for 7 LONG years. Mine came on SO suddenly and hit me so hard, my brain wasn't even functioning enough to think of the right thing to do... to look up information about it, to seek a holistic approach to it all. And my husband, bless his understanding heart, just was doing his best at getting through each day dealing with this wife that he didn't marry...lol. I really hope that in the near future, MANY more Dr.'s will start re-thinking the way they treat patients and look deeper into holistic medicine for cures. Janie>> Here is an amazing article that ran this weekend on treatment of bipolar> disorder with aggressive nutritional supplementation.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Oh! This is heartbreaking! The poor guy.

B

God Bless America!

One nation under God

----- Original Message -----

>I have a good friend whose son was diagnosed as bipolar when he was about 7

>years old.

> This poor kid was on so many drugs when he was about 11, it was

> ridiculous.

.. Lo and behold, finally somebody

> figured out the poor kid had thyroid problems when he was about 18. It

> was amazing the

> difference in this kid once he got on thyroid meds, the physical

> appearance alone was

> dramatic. Needless to say, this kid, (I shouldn't call him a kid any

> longer, he's 20 now)

> doesn't have very good things to say about mainstream medicine.

>

> Linn

Google placebo+antidepressants. Maybe this group would be interested in the

meta-analysis that demonstrated that the effectiveness of antidepressants is

mainly in their placebo effect. The more positive press they received, the

more effective they became. This caused some suspicion about why that would

be.

Personally I prefer to receive my placebo effects from more innocuous

substances, such as homeopathics (that is if in fact their positive effects

are placebo).

Sorry for going off topic, Karima

I am not sure it is common knowledge yet, but my search brought over 1.5

million hits.

http://www.srmhp.org/0201/media-watch.html

In a controversial meta-analysis published in 1998, Irving Kirsch and Guy

Sapirstein compared the mean effect size changes in symptoms of depression

across 19 double-blind studies assessing the efficacy of antidepressant

medications. Results demonstrated that placebos reproduced approximately 75%

of the improvement found in the active drug. Furthermore, the authors assert

that the remaining 25% of improvement accounted for by the active drug is

debatable, and could be the result of an enhanced placebo response due to

the side effects that patients experience when taking the active drugs, or

other nonspecific factors.

On 1/9/08 6:06 AM, " Glory " <glonear@...> wrote:

I posted the link to this article yesterday on a depression support board

whereby I (previously) had been getting some feedback/support on all the

prescription meds that my husband has been on for the past 4 years. The

people there were (basically) very supportive in that they confirmed my

suspicions ..as far as it was (IS) those new(er) meds that has been causing

extreme changes in my husbands personality/outlook, etc.

I posted this link under the " alternatives " area on this particular BB. It

saddened me to see how many people shot this (and other alternatives) down.

They are so " in-tuned " to a just meds only approach (IMO) that anything else

that may be introduced is considered total quackery.

I think that this is very, very sad.

~Glo