RemedySpot.com

high tsh

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is a MRI necessary for TSH being too high? When I was pregnant w/ my last child, she just turned 1 yr on the 31 of Jan. my TSH at one point was 92.4. My endo just increased my dosage and told me he never saw someone that high before while pregnant.Thanks,Jamilailt404 <ilt404@...> wrote: Hi My daughter-in-law rang last night and she got the results of her thyroid test back. The numbers sound impossibly high. The Dr sent her for an MRI straight away. Her TSH is 69 Range 1.3 - 4.2

FT4 71 Range 12-22 She is 40 and has been having heart palpitations. She took 1 iodoral most days for about a month (12.5mg iodine) but stopped that 3 weeks ago and still has heart palpitations. Any ideas? Thanks Toni

Don't pick lemons.

See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.

Here is a recent post on another health forum....sounds very similiar.

Hey all -

I have a question - what can cause a persistently high TSH? I have hashimoto's

hypothyroidism and had a baby in august. by november, my TSH went down to 0

(should be 0.3-4 - depends on who you ask for specific numbers). ergo, my doc

stopped me from taking my meds (.025 levothyroxine). I stopped trying to

breastfeeding in December b/c my milk never really came in.

My menses returned in late December but then my thyroid went wacky. I was

lethargic, had difficulty speaking, difficulty typing, and even thinking. My

TSH in Jan was 65. I started taking a double dose of my meds .050 mg since then

and just had a blood test Monday. Now my numbers are 120. I am desperately

trying to get in to see an endocrinologist but can't get an appt until mid

month. Can anyone explain what is going on? Has anyone heard of Sheehan's

Syndrome? Is this that? I lost a lot of blood during my cesarean...

i'm just getting a little freaked out when my primary says that she's never

seen numbers this high in her life and she has no idea what's going on. not

very comforting - and doesn't leave me with much trust in her abilities to open

a damn book!!!

--- Jamila <ummof4@...> wrote:

> Is a MRI necessary for TSH being too high? When I was pregnant w/ my last

> child, she just turned 1 yr on the 31 of Jan. my TSH at one point was 92.4.

> My endo just increased my dosage and told me he never saw someone that high

> before while pregnant.

>

> Thanks,

> Jamila

>

> ilt404 <ilt404@...> wrote: Hi

> My daughter-in-law rang last night and she got the results of her

> thyroid test back. The numbers sound impossibly high. The Dr sent her

> for an MRI straight away.

>

> Her TSH is 69 Range 1.3 - 4.2

> FT4 71 Range 12-22

>

> She is 40 and has been having heart palpitations.

>

> She took 1 iodoral most days for about a month (12.5mg iodine) but

> stopped that 3 weeks ago and still has heart palpitations.

>

> Any ideas?

> Thanks

> Toni

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Don't pick lemons.

> See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.

Try the Beta.

http://advision.webevents./mailbeta/newmail_tools.html

the higher the TSH does not mean much...the medical literature says

that anything over 20 is the same. in other words...TSH just keeps

getting higher because it's desperately signaling for more thyroid

hormone.

i actually think the 20 is wrong. the medical folks don't

acknowledge that the pitutiary can get hypo itself. a person may

only have a TSH of 1.5 and have below range Frees. So it is the

Frees that are important...not the TSH. The TSH is just an

indicator once it starts rising and has no relation to the severity

of the hypo.

I imagine the pregancy in this Hashi's person caused a flare-up.

cindi

Hi

> > My daughter-in-law rang last night and she got the results of

her

> > thyroid test back. The numbers sound impossibly high. The Dr

sent her

> > for an MRI straight away.

> >

> > Her TSH is 69 Range 1.3 - 4.2

> > FT4 71 Range 12-22

> >

> > She is 40 and has been having heart palpitations.

> >

> > She took 1 iodoral most days for about a month (12.5mg iodine)

but

> > stopped that 3 weeks ago and still has heart palpitations.

> >

> > Any ideas?

> > Thanks

> > Toni

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > Don't pick lemons.

> > See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.

>

>

>

>

>

> Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.

> Try the Beta.

> http://advision.webevents./mailbeta/newmail_tools.html

>

• 7 months later...

TSH can increase because the body uses it to stimulate the NIS to take in Iodine. Dr. Brownstein said that he has seen TSH of up to 30 when high dosing with Iodine. This can last for several months. As long as the patient feels well he does not worry. He uses the Free T3 & Free T4 to determine thyroid function. TSH is not a good indicator. He will have info on this in his updated edition of the Iodine book - probably out next month.

Hope that helps!

High TSH

I am writing on behalf of my sister. She's been taking 50 mg of iodine for maybe 2 1/2 months now. She recently went to her doctor for bloodwork. She got her results back yesterday and her TSH was 17. The nurse questioned her extensively about how she was feeling, and she's feeling great. She has an appointment to see her doctor on Monday, and she's planning on telling him that she's taking iodine, but she'd love to go in well-informed as he will no doubt want to increase her thyroid medication due to the high TSH reading.

I would appreciate any information that I can pass on to her.

Thank you,

Lee Ann

Hi.I'm quite ignorant on this topic, but I 'd like to learn. Can someone please tell me what "TSH" and "NIS" are?Thanks,-Vickyladybugsandbees <ladybugsandbees@...> wrote: TSH can increase because the body uses it to stimulate the NIS to take in Iodine. Dr. Brownstein said that he has seen TSH of up to 30 when high dosing with Iodine. This can last for several months. As long as the patient feels well he does not worry. He uses the Free T3 & Free T4 to determine thyroid function. TSH is not a good indicator. He will have info on this in his updated edition of the Iodine book - probably out next month. Hope that helps! High TSH I am writing on behalf of my sister. She's been taking 50 mg of iodine for maybe 2 1/2 months now. She recently went to her doctor for bloodwork. She got her results back yesterday and her TSH was 17. The nurse questioned her extensively about how

she was feeling, and she's feeling great. She has an appointment to see her doctor on Monday, and she's planning on telling him that she's taking iodine, but she'd love to go in well-informed as he will no doubt want to increase her thyroid medication due to the high TSH reading. I would appreciate any information that I can pass on to her. Thank you, Lee Ann

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Thanks, !ladybugsandbees <ladybugsandbees@...> wrote: TSH - Thyroid Stimulating Hormone - produced by the pituitary gland to signal the thyroid to produce more thyroid hormone (T4 or thyroxine). NIS - Sodium Iodine Symporter - they are the "pumps" that pull iodine into the cells. High TSH I am writing on behalf of my sister. She's been taking 50 mg of iodine for maybe 2 1/2 months now. She recently went to her doctor for bloodwork. She got her results back yesterday and her TSH was 17. The nurse questioned her extensively about how she was feeling, and she's feeling great. She has an appointment to see her doctor on Monday, and she's planning on telling him that she's taking iodine, but she'd love to go in well-informed as he will no doubt want to increase her thyroid medication due to the high TSH reading. I would appreciate any information that I can pass on to her. Thank you, Lee Ann Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Catch up on fall's hot new shows on TV. Watch previews, get listings, and more!

Anytime!

High TSH

I am writing on behalf of my sister. She's been taking 50 mg of iodine for maybe 2 1/2 months now. She recently went to her doctor for bloodwork. She got her results back yesterday and her TSH was 17. The nurse questioned her extensively about how she was feeling, and she's feeling great. She has an appointment to see her doctor on Monday, and she's planning on telling him that she's taking iodine, but she'd love to go in well-informed as he will no doubt want to increase her thyroid medication due to the high TSH reading.

I would appreciate any information that I can pass on to her.

Thank you,

Lee Ann

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Catch up on fall's hot new shows on TV. Watch previews, get listings, and more!

TSH question:

I have a TSH between 4-5, and have been taking 50mg of Iodoral since June. Would I expect to have a higher TSH if this is what helps deliver the iodine? My naturopath treats for TSH over 2, even though this is in the normal range. My body may be resistant to iodine because my loading test showed more elimination than would be expected with breast cycsts.

I would appreciate comments from anyone with knowledge of this.

Karima

If I understand you correctly you are taking 50 mgs of Iodine and your TSH is between 4 & 5. Well anything over 3.3 is now considered hypothyroid according to AACE. They changed the range to .3 -3.3 a few years ago. So according to lab tests you are hypo. That being said. TSH is a pituitary hormone and not a thyroid hormone. You really need to look at Free T3 & Free T4 to determine the true functionality of your thyroid. Most people feel best in the upper 1/3 of the ranges or even a bit above (as I am). Dr. Brownstein just completed 3 new chapters in his Iodine book (which I helped him write so I know what is there before it is out) that discuss the possibility of TSH rising when Iodine supplementation is begun. This occurs because the rising TSH signals the body to produce more NIS to pull the circulating iodine into the cells. He has seen people's TSH rise to 20 or 30 initially and stay there for up to 6 mos while showing no signs of hypothyroidism. It then comes back down to the "normal" range. When this occurs he used the "frees" and symptoms to manage the thyroid.

Your loading test may be low because when you are severely deficient your cells shut down the NIS because there isn't iodine to bring in. This will cause a lot to be flushed out initially and not taken in. Things you can do to improve the NIS are to increase Vit C, Magnesium and B2 & B3. Also make sure that you are not zinc deficient as this enzyme is very important in the iodine arena (to be covered in Dr B's 4th edition after we do more research). If you supplement with zinc make sure you add copper because they compete with each other - take opposite times of the day as well.

I hope that helps!

Re: High TSH

TSH question:I have a TSH between 4-5, and have been taking 50mg of Iodoral since June. Would I expect to have a higher TSH if this is what helps deliver the iodine? My naturopath treats for TSH over 2, even though this is in the normal range. My body may be resistant to iodine because my loading test showed more elimination than would be expected with breast cycsts. I would appreciate comments from anyone with knowledge of this.Karima

I think iodine is great as a supplement. But I did

want to share that I took my TSH from 3.7 to 1.7 just

with an anti-candida diet

(http://www.naturallythriving.com/basics/cfd.php)

before I ever tried iodine. You might give it a shot

if iodine alone isn't doing the trick.

Luv,

Debby

San , CA

147 pounds lost! 95% of health issues reversed!

Find out about the diet that helped me:

Group:

curingcandida/

Studying nutrition for 12 years. Currently working

towards certification.

--- Karima Pijanka <karirom@...> wrote:

> TSH question:

>

> I have a TSH between 4-5, and have been taking 50mg

> of Iodoral since June.

> Would I expect to have a higher TSH if this is what

> helps deliver the

> iodine? My naturopath treats for TSH over 2, even

> though this is in the

> normal range. My body may be resistant to iodine

> because my loading test

> showed more elimination than would be expected with

> breast cycsts.

>

> I would appreciate comments from anyone with

> knowledge of this.

-------------

Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned. Let your baby steps take

you there...

New group! Curing Candida:

curingcandida/

My son Hunter Hudson (10/11/04) http://debbypadilla.0catch.com/hunter/

“Your loading test may be low because when you are severely deficient your cells shut down the NIS because there isn't iodine to bring in. This will cause a lot to be flushed out initially and not taken in. Things you can do to improve the NIS are to increase Vit C, Magnesium and B2 & B3. Also make sure that you are not zinc deficient as this enzyme is very important in the iodine arena (to be covered in Dr B's 4th edition after we do more research). If you supplement with zinc make sure you add copper because they compete with each other - take opposite times of the day as well. “

Thanks for the information.

I am taking vit C, Magnesium, and the B’s in high dosages, plus lots of other supplements as worked out with my naturopath. I wouldn’t dare take copper though, I am off the scale in my hair test, likely due to an copper IUD in the mid 80’s, copper pipes and vegetarian diet. Now I use a metabolically appropriate diet and that has helped a lot, but am still detoxing from the copper problems, unbalanced hormones et al.

Zinc is not in my list of copper antagonists, iron, B6, manganese, molybdenum are. I will try more zinc, I do get cravings for oysters.

Karima

If you want to test your zinc you can buy liquid zinc. If you taste nothing then you need more. If it is moderately "bad" then you are mildly deficient. If it is really bad then you probably don't need any. Supplementing with Zinc will bring your copper levels down so that would be a good thing for you.

Steph

Re: High TSH

“Your loading test may be low because when you are severely deficient your cells shut down the NIS because there isn't iodine to bring in. This will cause a lot to be flushed out initially and not taken in. Things you can do to improve the NIS are to increase Vit C, Magnesium and B2 & B3. Also make sure that you are not zinc deficient as this enzyme is very important in the iodine arena (to be covered in Dr B's 4th edition after we do more research). If you supplement with zinc make sure you add copper because they compete with each other - take opposite times of the day as well. “Thanks for the information. I am taking vit C, Magnesium, and the B’s in high dosages, plus lots of other supplements as worked out with my naturopath. I wouldn’t dare take copper though, I am off the scale in my hair test, likely due to an copper IUD in the mid 80’s, copper pipes and vegetarian diet. Now I use a metabolically appropriate diet and that has helped a lot, but am still detoxing from the copper problems, unbalanced hormones et al.Zinc is not in my list of copper antagonists, iron, B6, manganese, molybdenum are. I will try more zinc, I do get cravings for oysters.Karima

It is a little risky taking copper unless you know you need it. There are a

lot of people who are high in copper for various reasons (copper water

pipes, medications etc.)

Irene

At 09:55 AM 9/19/2007, you wrote:

>Your loading test may be low because when you are severely deficient your

>cells shut down the NIS because there isn't iodine to bring in. This will

>cause a lot to be flushed out initially and not taken in. Things you can

>do to improve the NIS are to increase Vit C, Magnesium and B2 & B3. Also

>make sure that you are not zinc deficient as this enzyme is very important

>in the iodine arena (to be covered in Dr B's 4th edition after we do more

>research). If you supplement with zinc make sure you add copper because

>they compete with each other - take opposite times of the day as well.

>

If you supplement with Zinc you are supposed to supplement with Copper.

Zinc is an antagonist to Copper. I had a hair test done and my zinc was low

and copper normal. Yes copper can be dangerous but not enough is not good

either.

Steph

Subject: Re: Re: High TSH

> It is a little risky taking copper unless you know you need it. There are

> a

> lot of people who are high in copper for various reasons (copper water

> pipes, medications etc.)

> Irene

>

>

• 9 months later...
Guest guest

Hello Sheila

My daughter, who is 21, had a blood test recently. The lab report

had highlighted the TSH, 8.62, as high, free T4 20.4. When I

questioned my GP he seemed unpurturbed and it was only by my

contacting and pushing him that he agreed to another blood test but

not for 6 months. He said that he wanted to see if there was

a " trend " . I then asked him for a referral letter to a local

Endocrinologist. This he did and I took my Daughter along to see

him. We also took along a list of her symptoms. Most of her

symptoms, if not all, appear on your symptom check list. When the

endocrinologist looked at it he said that it was easy to get list of

symptoms from the internet.!! I got the impression that we took all

of her symptoms from the internet and listed them for him. I

questioned him about the ranges and that they had changed since early

2000s. He said that it was a matter for discussion.

My question is, are there any Endocrinologists who you know are more

enlightened about the ranges in the London, Surrey, Sussex area? I

live in Kent. All of these places are easily accessible for us. My

Daughter is always tired, has menstrual problems, has had for many

years, joint pain, muscle pain and lots more.

look forward to your advice. Many thanks.

Vickyanne58

Guest guest

Hi

many thanks for your reply. The Consultant didn't even touch on the TSH level, he was too busy being dissmissive of the new ranges. yes I would be more than happy to go outside of my area to get my Daughter tested again. I think we have waited long enough.

Again

many thanks

Vicky

Re: high tsh

Hi Tracey

My daughter, who is 21, had a blood test recently. The lab report had highlighted the TSH, 8.62, as high, free T4 20.4. When I questioned my GP he seemed unpurturbed and it was only by my contacting and pushing him that he agreed to another blood test but not for 6 months. He said that he wanted to see if there was a "trend".

Obviously yet another GP who doesn't appreciate the reason for doing thyroid function tests - let alone realising the impact such a denial of anything being wrong will have on your daughters health. When you think America , about 4 years ago, who used to use the same reference ranges we use, slashed the TSH range in half to 0.3 to 3.0 - and in Germany, they slashed it even more to 0.3 to 2.5 - and now they are recommending that this should be further slashed to 0.3 to 1.5 - and your daughter at 8.62 is WAY over the range.

I then asked him for a referral letter to a local Endocrinologist. This he did and I took my Daughter along to see him. We also took along a list of her symptoms. Most of her symptoms, if not all, appear on your symptom check list. When the endocrinologist looked at it he said that it was easy to get list of symptoms from the internet.!! I got the impression that we took all of her symptoms from the internet and listed them for him. I questioned him about the ranges and that they had changed since early 2000s. He said that it was a matter for discussion.

I would be tempted to ask this endocrinologist just what IS being discussed and to give you the reasons the reference ranges had been changed in your area. It may be that they have got a new 'kit' for testing blood, and that might make a difference. Before blood tests were manufactured, doctors diagnosed through symptoms, signs, temperature, cholesterol etc. What did he say about her TSH of 8.62My question is, are there any Endocrinologists who you know are more enlightened about the ranges in the London, Surrey, Sussex area? I live in Kent. All of these places are easily accessible for us. My Daughter is always tired, has menstrual problems, has had for many years, joint pain, muscle pain and lots more.

I have sent you a list of doctors who are more enlightened about the diagnosis and what the thyroid function tests mean. Would you be willing to go outside of your area, as you can now 'Choose and Book' the doctor you would like to see, wherever he lives in the UK.look forward to your advice. Many thanks.Vickyanne58No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.5.0/1555 - Release Date: 16/07/2008 06:43

Guest guest

Hi Sheila

Will you be sending the list of Doctors to my email address, if so could you please send to the primary email address, that is the one I originally contacted you on.

Once again, many thanks and regards

Vicky

Hi Tracey

My daughter, who is 21, had a blood test recently. The lab report had highlighted the TSH, 8.62, as high, free T4 20.4. When I questioned my GP he seemed unpurturbed and it was only by my contacting and pushing him that he agreed to another blood test but not for 6 months. He said that he wanted to see if there was a "trend".

Obviously yet another GP who doesn't appreciate the reason for doing thyroid function tests - let alone realising the impact such a denial of anything being wrong will have on your daughters health. When you think America , about 4 years ago, who used to use the same reference ranges we use, slashed the TSH range in half to 0.3 to 3.0 - and in Germany, they slashed it even more to 0.3 to 2.5 - and now they are recommending that this should be further slashed to 0.3 to 1.5 - and your daughter at 8.62 is WAY over the range.

I then asked him for a referral letter to a local Endocrinologist. This he did and I took my Daughter along to see him. We also took along a list of her symptoms. Most of her symptoms, if not all, appear on your symptom check list. When the endocrinologist looked at it he said that it was easy to get list of symptoms from the internet.!! I got the impression that we took all of her symptoms from the internet and listed them for him. I questioned him about the ranges and that they had changed since early 2000s. He said that it was a matter for discussion.

I would be tempted to ask this endocrinologist just what IS being discussed and to give you the reasons the reference ranges had been changed in your area. It may be that they have got a new 'kit' for testing blood, and that might make a difference. Before blood tests were manufactured, doctors diagnosed through symptoms, signs, temperature, cholesterol etc. What did he say about her TSH of 8.62My question is, are there any Endocrinologists who you know are more enlightened about the ranges in the London, Surrey, Sussex area? I live in Kent. All of these places are easily accessible for us. My Daughter is always tired, has menstrual problems, has had for many years, joint pain, muscle pain and lots more.

I have sent you a list of doctors who are more enlightened about the diagnosis and what the thyroid function tests mean. Would you be willing to go outside of your area, as you can now 'Choose and Book' the doctor you would like to see, wherever he lives in the UK.look forward to your advice. Many thanks.Vickyanne58No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.5.0/1555 - Release Date: 16/07/2008 06:43

Guest guest

Hi Vicky,

I live in Australia and the reference range for TSH at my pathology

lab is between 0.5 and 4.0.

P

.........When you think America , about 4 years ago, who used to use

the same reference ranges we use, slashed the TSH range in half to 0.3

to 3.0 - and in Germany, they slashed it even more to 0.3 to 2.5 - and

now they are recommending that this should be further slashed to 0.3

to 1.5 - and your daughter at 8.62 is WAY over the range.

Guest guest

HI Vicky

Can you write to this endocrinologist asking him WHY he ignored a TSH of 8.62 and ask him to give you evidence that this does not need treating. Untreated hypothyroidism can have dangerous consequences and this needs looking at now. I would let him know that you are aware of what problems could lie ahead if left untreated.

FACTS: Some common and often undiagnosed symptoms and dangerous consequences of untreated low thyroid include: serious mental problems, seizures, heart disease, diabetes including misdiagnosis and complications, constipation resulting in colon cancer, all female problems (due to high amounts of dangerous forms of oestrogen), including: tumours, fibroids, ovarian cysts, PMS, endometriosis, breast cancer, miscarriage, heavy periods and cramps, bladder problems leading to infections, and others....

Luv - Sheila

Hi Tracey

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.5.0/1557 - Release Date: 17/07/2008 05:36

Guest guest

HI Vicky

Did you receive the list?

Luv - Sheila

Hi Sheila

Will you be sending the list of Doctors to my email address, if so could you please send to the primary email address, that is the one I originally contacted you on.

Once again, many thanks and regards

Vicky

.. No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.5.0/1557 - Release Date: 17/07/2008 05:36