RemedySpot.com

Re: Fw: Somatoform Disorder

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Go gettum girl, you can totally do that and he will regret saying it LOL.

Luv nne

Just received the following response from Tony Weetman.

If you have clear grounds for disagreement, the journal in question may publish your disagreement, provided it is backed up with scientific evidence.

Yours sincerely

Tony Weetman

Here are the references that have suddenly appeared (as if by magic) on Weetman's Article. I can't be 100% positive, but I was not aware they were all on the original document. He has probably looked for references for somatoform disorder after gave him a roasting and added them since. I am too busy right now, but hopefully, some lovely member will do a cut and paste of the references referring to somatoform disorders and see what they actually do state.

Luv - Sheila

Muir Gray, J.A. (1999) Postmodern medicine. Lancet, 354, 1550–1553.

Ogden, J. (2003) What do symptoms mean? British Medical Journal, 327, 409–410.

Mayou, R., Kirmayer, L.J., Simon, G., Kroenke, K. & Sharpe, M. (2005) Somatoform disorders: time for a new approach in DSM-V. American Journal of Psychiatry, 162, 847–855.

Sharpe, M. & Carson, A. (2001) 'Unexplained' somatic symptoms, functional syndromes, and somatization: do we need a paradigm shift? ls of International Medicine, 134, 926–930.

Greenhalgh, T. & Wessely, S. (2004) 'Health for me': a sociocultural analysis of healthism in the middle classes. British Medical Bulletin, 69, 197–213.

Angell, M. (1996) Shattuck Lecture – evaluating the health risks of breast implants: the interplay of medical sciences, the law and public opinion. New England Journal of Medicine, 23, 1513–1518.

Chu, J.W. & Crapo, L.M. (2001) The treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism is seldom necessary. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 86, 4591–4599.

McDermot, M.T. & Ridgeway, E.C. (2001) Clinical Perspective: subclinical hypothyroidism is mild thyroid failure and should be treated. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 86, 4585–4590.

Surks, M.I., Ortiz, E., s, G.H., Sawin, C.T., Col, N.F., lyn, J.A., Hershman, J.M., Burman, K.D., Denke, M.A., Gorman, C., , R.S. & Weissman, N.J. (2004) Subclinical thyroid disease: scientific review and guidelines for diagnosis and management. JAMA, 291, 228–238.

Gharib, H., Tuttle, R.M., Baskin, H.J., Fish, L.H., Singer, P.A. & McDermott, M.T. (2005) Subclinical thyroid dysfunction: a joint statement on management from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Thyroid Association and the Endocrine Society. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 90, 581–585.

Ringel, M.D. & Mazzaferri, E.L. (2005) Editorial: Subclinical thyroid dysfunction – can there be a consensus about the consensus? Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 90, 588–590.

Surks, M.I. (2005) Subclinical thyroid dysfunction: a joint statement on management from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Thyroid Association and the Endocrine Society. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 90, 586–587.

Surks, M.I., Goswami, G. & s, G.H. (2005) The thyrotropin reference range should remain unchanged. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 90, 5489–5496.

Wartofsky, L. & Dickey, R.A. (2005) The evidence of a narrower thyrotropin reference range is compelling. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 90, 5483–5488.

Rodondi, N., Newman, A.B., Vittinghoff, E., de Rekeneire, N., Satterfield, S., , T.B. & Bauer, D.C. (2005) Subclinical hypothyroidism and the risk of heart failure, other cardiovascular events, and death. Archives of International Medicine, 165, 2460–2466.

Walsh, J.P., Bremner, A.P., Bulsara, M.K., O'Leary, P., Leedman, P.J., Feddema, P. & Michelangeli, V. (2005) Subclinical thyroid dysfunction as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Archives of International Medicine, 165, 2467–2472.

Salmon, P., s, S. & Stanley, I. (1999) Patients perceptions of medical explanations for somatisation disorders: qualitative analysis. British Medical Journal, 318, 372–376.

Fischhoff, B. & Wessely, S. (2003) Managing patients with inexplicable health problems. British Medical Journal, 326, 595–597.

Go gettum girl, you can totally do that and he will regret saying it LOL.

Luv nne

If you have clear grounds for disagreement, the journal in question may publish your disagreement, provided it is backed up with scientific evidence.

Yours sincerely

Tony Weetman

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1221 - Release Date: 12/01/2008 14:04

Patronising git

erika

Fw: Somatoform Disorder

Luv - sheila

Somatoform Disorder

Dear Professor Weetman,

I have not previously asked the following question, but I would be grateful for a response from you.

You stated in your article published in ‘Medscape’ and ‘Journal of Clinical Endocrinology’ “Whose Thyroid Hormone is it Anyway?†– and I quote:

"The majority of patients who demand thyroid hormone treatment for multiple symptoms, despite normal thyroid function tests, have functional somatoform disorders..."

The hypothyroid patient community finds your statement irresponsible, inaccurate and insulting.

As a mark of real concern for hypothyroid sufferers, would you please publish a follow-up article in the same journals giving your reasons for coming to this conclusion, and, at the same time, providing evidence and appropriate references? I feel you have a responsibility to sufferers of thyroid disease, as well as workers in related medical fields, to provide a reliable and irrefutable explanation for your opinion.

I noted on Shomon’s About.com/Thyroid Forum http://thyroid.about.com/od/newscontroversies/a/weetman_4.htm that you responded to her articles as follows:

Sorry but you have missed at least one crucial point - somatoform disorders are neither hypochondriacal nor psychiatric - I make the point that future research will show that there is basis for these that currently eludes us.

Will you give evidence and appropriate references regarding your “one crucial point†suggesting “somatoform disorders are neither hypochondriacal nor psychiatricâ€. Would you also please explain how you conclude that “future research†will be done to show such a basis, as well as giving me your interpretation of somatoform disorder?

Kind regards

Sheila

www.tpa-uk.org.uk

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1221 - Release Date: 12/01/2008 14:04

AOL's new homepage has launched. Take a tour now.

Well - he didn't bother to answer my specific questions, did he - so we will never know. I have asked Lee to put his response under the message to Weetman on our website for all to see.

Luv - Sheila

And what references can he provide when he foretells that research WILL find.

Lilian

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1221 - Release Date: 12/01/2008 14:04