RemedySpot.com

Daily mail article

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi

Not often I post on here..... don't have much experience to offer -

but, with our hypothyroid dogs, high cholesterol is something we

always look for (and usually find) on blood test results.

I assume humans are prob the same.

Personally, I stopped taking my *statins* as I didn't like the sound

of their side effects... so would be interested in a new drug.

Sandy

>

> Hi all,

Has anyone seen the Daily Mail article on a new colesterol drug - it

says...............

Developed by scientists at Swedish pharmaceutical firm Karo Bio,

KB2115 speeds up the removal of cholesterol from the body.

Crucially, the drug - which mimics the cholesterol-lowering effect of

hormones produced by the thyroid gland - did not cause the heart

problems seen with other similar prototype medicines

Using thyroid mimics is an entirely different approach and I think

one with great promise for treating high cholesterol - and probably

other conditions such as obesity and diabetes.

Has someone found a link between high colesterol and thyroid

problems????

In the "good old days" anybody who had a high cholesterol was usually checked first to see if they had a thyroid problem - now the wonderful blood tests are all that is needed, they no longer know such things. Here is a little lesson from Dr Teitelbaums book "From Fatigued to Fantastic - The Body’s Master Control System."

"Many years ago, while I was in medical school, physicians were taught to diagnose hypothyroidism, or low thyroid function, by using the newly discovered method of measuring the metabolic rate while the patient ran on a treadmill. Doctors thought this was a new test and that they finally had a way to identify patients with underactive thyroids. Doctors congratulated themselves on being so clever. But then a new test came out. The new test measured protein-bound iodide (PBI). When doctors began using the PBI test, they realized, `Oh, w missed diagnosing so many people with a low thyroid, but this new test will now pick up everybody who has a problem.’ The doctors patted themselves on the back and told all their newly discovered thyroid patients that it turned out that they were not crazy – they just had a low thyroid. The doctors were comfortable that they could now determine with certainty when someone had a thyroid problem.

Then the T4-level thyroid test was developed and the doctors said, `Oh, that silly old PBI test. It missed so many people with a low thyroid, but this new test will find everyone.’ Then the T7-level test came out, and then the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test. Modern medicine is now into the fourth generation of TSH tests, and with each new test, doctors realized they missed many people with under active thyroids. You would think that we doctors would finally catch on. My impression, and the impression of many other physicians is that the current method of testing still misses many people with underactive thyroids. Therefore, doctors must treat ".

Re: Daily Mail article

Hi Not often I post on here..... don't have much experience to offer - but, with our hypothyroid dogs, high cholesterol is something we always look for (and usually find) on blood test results.I assume humans are prob the same. Personally, I stopped taking my *statins* as I didn't like the sound of their side effects... so would be interested in a new drug.Sandy>> Hi all,Has anyone seen the Daily Mail article on a new colesterol drug - it says...............Developed by scientists at Swedish pharmaceutical firm Karo Bio, KB2115 speeds up the removal of cholesterol from the body. Crucially, the drug - which mimics the cholesterol-lowering effect of hormones produced by the thyroid gland - did not cause the heart problems seen with other similar prototype medicinesUsing thyroid mimics is an entirely different approach and I think one with great promise for treating high cholesterol - and probably other conditions such as obesity and diabetes.Has someone found a link between high colesterol and thyroid problems????

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.17.4/1187 - Release Date: 16/12/2007 11:36

Hi denise,

Before the advent of the beloved TSH test high cholesterol was

one of the indicators used in the diagnosis of thyroid disease.

Considering the high prevalence of thyroid disease ( even if the

tests look 'normal' the use of thyroid mimics worries me as is may well

result in even more cases of thyroid disease getting missed . surely the use

of thyroid meds , not mimics should be investigated.

Daily Mail article

Hi all,

Has anyone seen the Daily Mail article on a new colesterol drug - it

says...............

Developed by scientists at Swedish pharmaceutical firm Karo Bio, KB2115

speeds up the removal of cholesterol from the body.

Crucially, the drug - which mimics the cholesterol-lowering effect of

hormones produced by the thyroid gland - did not cause the heart

problems seen with other similar prototype medicines

Using thyroid mimics is an entirely different approach and I think one

with great promise for treating high cholesterol - and probably other

conditions such as obesity and diabetes.

Has someone found a link between high colesterol and thyroid

problems????

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

• 3 weeks later...

It is now some 3 hours since I posted my message and there are still no comments listed, is this going to be a white wash again, JB started it and the editor is going to finish it. What a waste of our time.

Hi Sheila, No, I can't either now, sorry, what a pain....I went to www.dailymail.co.uk

Hi Gillian

It doesn't work for me. I copied and pasted the URL into Google, and still didn't get it.

Sheila

Hi nne,It's here:-http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=506717 & in_page_id=1774BW, Gill S>> > Good morning Sheila, I cannot find the article in the Daily Mail - is it > definitely in todays?> > Luv nne>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1211 - Release Date: 06/01/2008 11:57

Hi Sheila, No, I can't either now, sorry, what a pain....I went to

www.dailymail.co.uk clicked on Health and it's the 5th story

down.....but you've probably done this already!

BW, Gill S

>

> Hi Gillian

>

> It doesn't work for me. I copied and pasted the URL into Google,

and still didn't get it.

>

> Sheila

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1211 - Release Date:

06/01/2008 11:57

>

Hi,

I have managed to follow the link and have posted my comments. I only

hope they will be printed. Does anyone know how to contact the

journalist - e-mail etc, as I would like to write to him.

Luv,

Anne x

<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=506717 & in_page_id=1774>

I just got this link emailed me by Google (I have a google search which picks up anything about Dr Skinner but it’s usually useless!). But this link worked when I used it just now – it’s a really good article and there’s space for comments below!

Lynne

The following is the comment I have made - it can be quite difficult to say all you want to say having 1000 characters, and that includes the spaces inbetween words and paragraphs. No idea whether or not they will print it though.

I have the contact details for Jerome Burne and will send these to you privately.

Luv - Sheila

"There is need for an urgent review of training relating to the diagnosis of this disease. If strict adherence to lab. numbers continues, doctors such as Dr Skinner, who treat outside the guidelines practise in peril of being arraigned before the GMC. Inept diagnosis has resulted in several patient support groups being set up, through whose agency a growing number of patients have regained optimal health, returned to work, quit State Benefits, able to add to the Nation's wealth again. Inadequate teaching is placing considerable financial burdens on the Government and the NHS.

Consequences of untreated hypothyroidism include mental problems, seizures, heart disease, diabetes, constipation leading to colon cancer, all female problems, tumours, fibroids, ovarian cysts, PMS, endometriosis, breast cancer, miscarriage, heavy periods and cramps, bladder problems etc. Published research/studies are available to all, yet BTA appears to disregard them in shaping its diagnosing protocol".

Hi,I have managed to follow the link and have posted my comments. I onlyhope they will be printed. Does anyone know how to contact thejournalist - e-mail etc, as I would like to write to him.Luv,Anne x

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1211 - Release Date: 06/01/2008 11:57

It takes quite a few hours (and could be overnight) for comments to start appearing. I know I gave up once on another article and it suddenly came through 2 days later. I am not sure whether anybody is editing what should be put on and what shouldn't, but I honestly doubt it. Just wait this out nne, the comments are important to the editor to find out the depth of frustration.

I have just received two messages from people suffering who have read the article - there will be more. Thank goodness this time my home telephone number wasn't put in - I never want an experience like that again. We were inundated.

Luv - Sheila

It is now some 3 hours since I posted my message and there are still no comments listed, is this going to be a white wash again, JB started it and the editor is going to finish it. What a waste of our time.

Hi Sheila, No, I can't either now, sorry, what a pain....I went to www.dailymail.co.uk

I have been on again today and note that not one of our messages has been accepted, there were 4 yesterday and remain so today, we either have to accept that they editor is not happy for the truth to be told by us and leave it at that or we will have to write another message and see if that gets through.

Luv nne

• 3 years later...
Guest guest

Will look forward to hearing this and knowing when we can buy a copy.

Has anyone thought of contacting Panorama or the Tonight programme?  If this has already been suggested, then please accept my apologies.  I have loads of TPA emails still to read :)

Jackie x

Hi

Debbie, yes, I did find the reason as to why the article had  not been

published on last Sunday, and a it was a good reason - but I will be telling all

our members about this at a later date.

Luv - Sheila