RemedySpot.com

Re: ferritin and iodine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am having this issue and Dr.Abraham told Dr. Brownstein that I should take 200 mgs of B6 to help with absorption. I am taking 50 mgs of Elemental Iron right now. My iron was high but ferritin low (24). That means I am getting it in but not keeping it. I am using all I get. I also have low zinc which happened with iodine too. So I am not sure what is going on but the B6 is supposed to help with that too. I take 50 mgs of Zinc but now my copper is low too. UGH! So I think I will need to increase copper because with increased iron consumption your will lose copper.

And round and round and round it goes.

ferritin and iodine

Hi ,

I saw you mention that iodine supplementation can cause increased metabolism, there by decreasing feritin This came at just the right time. I had levels checked yesterday and instead of ferritin and iron going up on 30mg iron a day, they went down. Are there any other supplements that you take that I could get to help with the absorption of the iron pills? I drink a good amount of kefir daily.

Thanks,

Iron / ferritin is so hard to understand. I really don't know what is the issue with you. Yes I did have low iron first and then supplemented with iron and it came up as did my ferritin. But then when I came off iron my ferritin started to drop but iron held pretty well.

I found this:

Ferritin levels are also useful for iron deficiency. Low iron level may not indicate iron deficiency in acute infection with leukocytosis. Low iron levels may be misleading in chronic infection, inflammation and malignancy; high ferritin levels occur in many such states. However, the most sensitive test for iron deficiency is bone marrow examination.4 TIBC and transferrin are increased in patients on oral contraceptives, with normal saturation. Gross hemolysis may interfere with serum iron.

http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labcorp/html/chapter/mono/pr005600.htm

Do you know what would explain the reverse suitation from you, i.e. a good ferritin level but a low iron? My serum iron is 25 (35-155), and iron saturation is 7 (10-291), which have dropped considerably since 11 months ago and are far below my historical norms. My ferritin is 81 now, was 120 in 1/07. I had dropped my thyroid from 4.5 gr to 2 gr. in that time period, which left me in the lowest third of T3 range. Now at 2.5 gr.

I'm trying to figure out the relationship between iron, ferritin, iodine, and thyroid. I thought a low ferritin was the end result of chronic low iron, that there wasn't enough iron on hand to build storage reserves. Did you have low iron before your ferritin went low? I know hypothyroidism can result in low ferritin, I don't know how it affects iron levels. Right now I'm confused about what causes what. Yes, round and round and round it goes.

Lynn

I am having this issue and Dr.Abraham told Dr. Brownstein that I should take 200 mgs of B6 to help with absorption. I am taking 50 mgs of Elemental Iron right now. My iron was high but ferritin low (24). That means I am getting it in but not keeping it. I am using all I get. I also have low zinc which happened with iodine too. So I am not sure what is going on but the B6 is supposed to help with that too. I take 50 mgs of Zinc but now my copper is low too. UGH! So I think I will need to increase copper because with increased iron consumption your will lose copper.

Hi ,

I saw you mention that iodine supplementation can cause increased metabolism, there by decreasing feritin This came at just the right time. I had levels checked yesterday and instead of ferritin and iron going up on 30mg iron a day, they went down. Are there any other supplements that you take that I could get to help with the absorption of the iron pills? I drink a good amount of kefir daily.

Thanks,

Do you know what would explain the reverse suitation from you, i.e. a good ferritin level but a low iron? My serum iron is 25 (35-155), and iron saturation is 7 (10-291), which have dropped considerably since 11 months ago and are far below my historical norms. My ferritin is 81 now, was 120 in 1/07. I had dropped my thyroid from 4.5 gr to 2 gr. in that time period, which left me in the lowest third of T3 range. Now at 2.5 gr.

I'm trying to figure out the relationship between iron, ferritin, iodine, and thyroid. I thought a low ferritin was the end result of chronic low iron, that there wasn't enough iron on hand to build storage reserves. Did you have low iron before your ferritin went low? I know hypothyroidism can result in low ferritin, I don't know how it affects iron levels. Right now I'm confused about what causes what. Yes, round and round and round it goes.

Lynn

Hi ,

Thanks,

I have read the iron / cancer feeding connection as well. I would be very careful there. I don't know what to say about you. It's hard to know what to do sometimes. How do you feel?

Steph,

Thanks so much for your excerpt from LabCorp. Not sure about me, but it explains my husband's iron/ferritin results. His serum iron is 50 and his serum ferritin is 180. His doctor wanted him to take supplemental iron. Since his ferritin was high, his low iron didn't make sense to me. However, he was diagnosed last year with a chronic form of lymphoma (CLL). "Low iron levels may be misleading in chronic infection, inflammation and malignancy; high ferritin levels occur in many such states." Sounds like is CLL could be causing his low iron. If so, and since supplemental iron can encourage cancer, I don't think giving him iron is a wise course of action. You may have saved us from that path.

As for my situation, the best explanation I can piece together from my reading is occult blood loss, but I am not anemic. I don't have chronic infection or inflammation; I sure hope malignancy isn't the answer. I was hoping to find another explanation. My doctor called me a mystery case.

Lynn

Iron / ferritin is so hard to understand. I really don't know what is the issue with you. Yes I did have low iron first and then supplemented with iron and it came up as did my ferritin. But then when I came off iron my ferritin started to drop but iron held pretty well.

I found this:

Ferritin levels are also useful for iron deficiency. Low iron level may not indicate iron deficiency in acute infection with leukocytosis. Low iron levels may be misleading in chronic infection, inflammation and malignancy; high ferritin levels occur in many such states. However, the most sensitive test for iron deficiency is bone marrow examination.4 TIBC and transferrin are increased in patients on oral contraceptives, with normal saturation. Gross hemolysis may interfere with serum iron.

Lynn

That is just odd. I hope you figure it out.

Steph

Steph,

Thanks so much for your excerpt from LabCorp. Not sure about me, but it explains my husband's iron/ferritin results. His serum iron is 50 and his serum ferritin is 180. His doctor wanted him to take supplemental iron. Since his ferritin was high, his low iron didn't make sense to me. However, he was diagnosed last year with a chronic form of lymphoma (CLL). "Low iron levels may be misleading in chronic infection, inflammation and malignancy; high ferritin levels occur in many such states." Sounds like is CLL could be causing his low iron. If so, and since supplemental iron can encourage cancer, I don't think giving him iron is a wise course of action. You may have saved us from that path.

As for my situation, the best explanation I can piece together from my reading is occult blood loss, but I am not anemic. I don't have chronic infection or inflammation; I sure hope malignancy isn't the answer. I was hoping to find another explanation. My doctor called me a mystery case.

Lynn

I found this:

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Poor hormone status often makes people anemic. In my case I have a history

of hypothyroid, hypoadrenal, and low male hormone (basically I'm a hormonal

basket case). They could not figure out why I was so anemic (males do not

usually have that problem), so they did an upper and lower colonoscopy. They

found absolutely nothing, but it was a good thing to do since colon cancer

runs in my family.

" Dr. Lowe: Anemia is reported to occur in 30%-to-40% of hypothyroid

patients, but it is not a prominent feature of hypothyroidism. The anemia

appears to be a normal physiological response to the reduced tissue

requirement for oxygen in people with thyroid hormone deficiency. Decreased

thyroid hormone levels decrease tissue oxygen demand and consumption. "

Your kidneys produce a hormone called erythropoietin that causes your body

to make red blood cells. Erythropoietin production is linked to thyroid

status as this web site shows...

" Thyroid hormones are required for normal function of nearly all tissues,

with major effects on oxygen consumption and metabolic rate. Thyroid

hormones have been found to augment the oxygen capacity of the blood by

increasing the production of erythropoietin... "

So if you are hypothyroid it can lead to anemia. The thyroid is an amazing

gland, it just has an effect on every cell in your body.

If your husband as/had lymphoma I would be especially diligent to keep his

vitamin D blood serum level right at 50ng/ml. Vitamin D is so important for

cancer prevention.

Neil

ladybugsandbees

Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 8:18 PM

iodine

Subject: Re: ferritin and iodine

That is just odd. I hope you figure it out.

Steph

Steph,

Thanks so much for your excerpt from LabCorp. Not

sure about me, but it explains my husband's iron/ferritin results. His

serum iron is 50 and his serum ferritin is 180. His doctor wanted him to

take supplemental iron. Since his ferritin was high, his low iron didn't

make sense to me. However, he was diagnosed last year with a chronic form

of lymphoma (CLL). " Low iron levels may be misleading in chronic infection,

inflammation and malignancy; high ferritin levels occur in many such

states. " Sounds like is CLL could be causing his low iron. If so, and

since supplemental iron can encourage cancer, I don't think giving him iron

is a wise course of action. You may have saved us from that path.

As for my situation, the best explanation I can

piece together from my reading is occult blood loss, but I am not anemic. I

don't have chronic infection or inflammation; I sure hope malignancy isn't

the answer. I was hoping to find another explanation. My doctor called me

a mystery case.

Lynn

Iron / ferritin is so hard to understand. I

really don't know what is the issue with you. Yes I did have low iron

first and then supplemented with iron and it came up as did my ferritin.

But then when I came off iron my ferritin started to drop but iron held

pretty well.

I found this:

Ferritin levels are also useful for iron

deficiency. Low iron level may not indicate iron deficiency in acute

infection with leukocytosis. Low iron levels may be misleading in chronic

infection, inflammation and malignancy; high ferritin levels occur in many

such states. However, the most sensitive test for iron deficiency is bone

marrow examination.4 TIBC and transferrin are increased in patients on oral

contraceptives, with normal saturation. Gross hemolysis may interfere with

serum iron.

<http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labcorp/html/chapter/mono/pr005600.htm>

Do you know what would explain the

reverse suitation from you, i.e. a good ferritin level but a low iron? My

serum iron is 25 (35-155), and iron saturation is 7 (10-291), which have

dropped considerably since 11 months ago and are far below my historical

norms. My ferritin is 81 now, was 120 in 1/07. I had dropped my thyroid

from 4.5 gr to 2 gr. in that time period, which left me in the lowest third

of T3 range. Now at 2.5 gr.

I'm trying to figure out the

relationship between iron, ferritin, iodine, and thyroid. I thought a low

ferritin was the end result of chronic low iron, that there wasn't enough

iron on hand to build storage reserves. Did you have low iron before your

ferritin went low? I know hypothyroidism can result in low ferritin, I

don't know how it affects iron levels. Right now I'm confused about what

causes what. Yes, round and round and round it goes.

Lynn

Steph,

Lynn

I found this:

Lynn

I feel good, which adds to the mystery. I will be having a colonoscopy and EGD on Monday to see if a source of blood loss can be identified. If I do have blood loss, I would think it's in the very early stages, since only my iron levels are affected and my HGB and HCT levels are great.

Lynn

I have read the iron / cancer feeding connection as well. I would be very careful there. I don't know what to say about you. It's hard to know what to do sometimes. How do you feel?

Steph,

Lynn

I found this:

Lynn

Lynn,

Best of luck tomorrow, let us know how it works out.

For piece of mind the colonoscopy is the best thing certainly, although the

prep. is a bear! lol

Good to know you are up on vitamin D blood levels, I find the vitamin D

story about the most interesting I have ever read.

www.vitaminDcouncil.com

Neil

Lynn McGaha

Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 8:01 PM

iodine

Subject: Re: ferritin and iodine

Hi Neil,

Thanks for sharing your experience with anemia and poor hormone status. If

nothing shows up on my colonoscopy and EGD tomorrow, I'll figure my low iron

may be hormone related. I'd much prefer to think my low iron is due to

hormone problems rather than more malicious causes.

Both my husband and I take 2 tsp. of Blue Ice high-vitamin cod liver oil

every day. I'm with you on the need for sufficient Vitamin D levels.

Lynn

> Hi Lynn,

>

> Poor hormone status often makes people anemic. In my case I have a history

> of hypothyroid, hypoadrenal, and low male hormone (basically I'm a

hormonal

> basket case). They could not figure out why I was so anemic (males do not

> usually have that problem), so they did an upper and lower colonoscopy.

They

> found absolutely nothing, but it was a good thing to do since colon cancer

> runs in my family.

> So if you are hypothyroid it can lead to anemia. The thyroid is an amazing

> gland, it just has an effect on every cell in your body.

>

> If your husband as/had lymphoma I would be especially diligent to keep his

> vitamin D blood serum level right at 50ng/ml. Vitamin D is so important

for

> cancer prevention.

>

> Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for sharing your experience with anemia and poor hormone status. If

nothing shows up on my colonoscopy and EGD tomorrow, I'll figure my low iron

may be hormone related. I'd much prefer to think my low iron is due to

hormone problems rather than more malicious causes.

Both my husband and I take 2 tsp. of Blue Ice high-vitamin cod liver oil

every day. I'm with you on the need for sufficient Vitamin D levels.

Lynn

> Hi Lynn,

>

> Poor hormone status often makes people anemic. In my case I have a history

> of hypothyroid, hypoadrenal, and low male hormone (basically I'm a

hormonal

> basket case). They could not figure out why I was so anemic (males do not

> usually have that problem), so they did an upper and lower colonoscopy.

They

> found absolutely nothing, but it was a good thing to do since colon cancer

> runs in my family.

> So if you are hypothyroid it can lead to anemia. The thyroid is an amazing

> gland, it just has an effect on every cell in your body.

>

> If your husband as/had lymphoma I would be especially diligent to keep his

> vitamin D blood serum level right at 50ng/ml. Vitamin D is so important

for

> cancer prevention.

>

> Neil