RemedySpot.com

Re: Itchy Scalp, Numb Fingers, Tired

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Chan,

Have you tried some thing like head and shoulders for you scalp- you may not have dandruff, but this can be very soothing.

Have you thought of adding selenium too.

Interesting that most dandruff shampoos have selenium or zinc as active ingredients- both are vital for conversion of T4 to T3.

Are the palps new since the increase in dose? If so then you may have overdone it and need to step back 1/2 a grain.

A diuretic may help with the carpal tunnel.

I am currently on 2.5 grains of Armour along with the following supplements, Zinc, Magnesium and B Vitamins.

I last upped my Armour at Xmas. The last few days I have been extremely tired, ends of fingers numb/tingly. Every so often I get palpations for a couple of hours not all time. So was wondering whether I should add another 1/2 grain.

Also my scalp is extremely itchy at the mo. It is just around my crown area. Any suggestions on this.

Thanks

Chan

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional Change settings via the Web ( ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured Visit Your Group | Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!

HI Chan

First, have you ever had your adrenals checked to see what amount of cortisol and DHEA they are putting out at 4 specific times during the day. There is a BIG thyroid/adrenal connection and if you have low adrenal reserve, your thyroid hormone replacement is unable to be properly absorbed and this could be one of the causes of your symptoms. It is no good asking your GP (or NHS endocrinologist) to test you for this - as, if they agreed to do this, they would only give you a short synacthen test (at any time during the day and only once) and this, in almost all cases, usually results in them telling you your cortisol level is fine. You need your adrenal function testing at 8.00a.m. 12 noon, 4.00p.m. and again at midnight and you can do this using a 24 hour salivary test which you can purchase from NPTech Services. Have a look in our FILES and scroll right down to "NPTech Services" where you can see the tests they do and the prices they charge. If your cortisol and DHEA levels are out of range, you might need to stop your Armour for a week or so and start taking Nutri Adrenal glandulars to boost your adrenal glands, and then start introducing the Armour again.

Have you had a recent blood test, if so, post your results and reference range for each test here. If not, make an appointment to get your TSH, Free T4, Free T3 tested. You also should get your ferritin level (storage iron) tested to see if this is low, because low ferritin can also stop your Armour working ...as does Candida Albicans. Whilst you are in the FILES, look for the "adrenal Questionnaire" and the "Candida Questionnaire" and see how you score. As far as Candida is concerned, to do a home test, take a glass of water to bed with you tonight. First thing in the morning and before you get out of bed, have a drink, or clean your teeth, spit into the top of the glass and if you have Candida, after a while, you will see long thin threads going towards the bottom of the glass and sometimes, the glass goes cloudy.

You could meanwhile, try increasing your dose of Armour by half a grain until you get the above sorted, but if you experience any adverse reactions such as palpitations, sweating, dizziness or generally feeling 'strange' and a bit spaced out, just cut back to the dose you are on now. It might do the trick, as this is the only way I know of that will tell you when you eventually reach your sweet spot.

We really do need blood test results though because some people using Armour need to take a little bit more T3, some need a little more T4 and others do absolutely fine on Armour alone.You should really be taking 200 mcgs Selenium to help with converting T4 to T3.

Hi

I am currently on 2.5 grains of Armour along with the following supplements, Zinc, Magnesium and B Vitamins.

I last upped my Armour at Xmas. The last few days I have been extremely tired, ends of fingers numb/tingly. Every so often I get palpations for a couple of hours not all time. So was wondering whether I should add another 1/2 grain.

Also my scalp is extremely itchy at the mo. It is just around my crown area. Any suggestions on this.

Thanks

Chan

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with for Good

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.7/1234 - Release Date: 20/01/2008 14:15

HI Chan

I have this problem and I get over it by rinsing my hair (the bit I have left) with cider vinegar. Pour half a cup of cider vinegar into a cup and warm it up. After you have washed your hair and rinsed it, pour over the vinegar and wrap a large towel around your head, and leave it for as long as you can. It does stink, but rinse that off with clear water. It works really well, stops itching, stops any flaky skin and leaves your hair looking very shiny.

The old'uns are the best.

Luv - Sheila

Subject: RE: Itchy Scalp, Numb Fingers, Tired

Hi Chan, Have you tried some thing like head and shoulders for you scalp- you may not have dandruff, but this can be very soothing. Have you thought of adding selenium too. Interesting that most dandruff shampoos have selenium or zinc as active ingredients- both are vital for conversion of T4 to T3. Are the palps new since the increase in dose? If so then you may have overdone it and need to step back 1/2 a grain. A diuretic may help with the carpal tunnel.

Thanks

Chan

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional Change settings via the Web ( ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured Visit Your Group | Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.7/1234 - Release Date: 20/01/2008 14:15

Hi Sheila

I last had my blood test done when I went to see Dr Murray who is a Endo at LGI. I have just emailed him asking for my results and this was his response

Dear Ms Baggaley,

Your thyroid tests from 2nd Nov 2007 showed a TSH 2.2, and free T4 13.4. Total T3 levels are of little, if any, value in monitoring thyroid hormone replacement due to the short half life of this hormone. TSH is the best marker, and it on this that most of the morbidity and mortality data regarding hypothyroidism are based.

Your results are acceptable, but could also allow for a slight increase in your dose. It would require a further blood test six weeks after starting the new dose to determine whether this had resulted in over-replacement.

BW

Dr Rob Murray

Consultant Endocrinologist

Not quite sure what these means. I am due to go see him again in a couple of weeks but don't really want to as he wasn't too happy that I was on Armour and also that I go onto the internet to research underactive thyroid!!!

I have asked my Dr last week if he can refer me to Dr Burrows but it all depends on budget so am waiting for him to let me know.

Do these results look ok?

Thanks Chan

HI Chan

Have you had a recent blood test, if so, post your results and reference range for each test here. If not, make an appointment to get your TSH, Free T4, Free T3 tested. You also should get your ferritin level (storage iron) tested to see if this is low, because low ferritin can also stop your Armour working ...as does Candida Albicans. Whilst you are in the FILES, look for the "adrenal Questionnaire" and the "Candida Questionnaire" and see how you score. As far as Candida is concerned, to do a home test, take a glass of water to bed with you tonight. First thing in the morning and before you get out of bed, have a drink, or clean your teeth, spit into the top of the glass and if you have Candida, after a while, you will see long thin threads going towards the bottom of the glass and sometimes, the glass goes cloudy.

Recent Activity

New Members

New FilesVisit Your Group

Health

Fit for Life

Getting fit is now

easier than ever.

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Dog Zone

on

Join a Group

all about dogs.

Sent from - a smarter inbox.

Hi Chan,

With a T4 of only 13 it’s a wonder you are still on your feet!

Should be nearer 20! ( assuming range 11 to24) Tests aren’t much use unless

the range is included, why do they do this? Don’t want to bother ’our pretty

little heads’ Grrr!

Your thyroid tests from 2nd Nov 2007 showed a TSH 2.2, and

free T4 13.4. Total T3 levels are of little, if any, value in monitoring

thyroid hormone replacement due to the short half life of this hormone. TSH

is the best marker, and it on this that most of the morbidity and mortality

data regarding hypothyroidism are based.

Your results are acceptable, but could also allow for a

slight increase in your dose. It would require a further blood test six

weeks after starting the new dose to determine whether this had resulted in

over-replacement.

BW

Dr Rob Murray

Thanks Chan

-----

I think his comments are thoughtful and fair. I guess he is saying you need to increase your dose of Armour (usually we recommend increases of half a grain daily) and after that to get your thyroid function tested 6 weeks after you start the new dose.If you are using Armour, your TSH should be at the bottom of the range, and your Free T4 should be much higher, so yes, you do need an increase. Perhaps if your endocrinologist did a little research using the Internet, he would learn something.

Hope you get a referral to Dr B - but whether or not you decide to take up your endocrinologists consultation, that is up to you. *Grin*.

luv - Sheila

Hi Sheila

I last had my blood test done when I went to see Dr Murray who is a Endo at LGI. I have just emailed him asking for my results and this was his response

Dear Ms Baggaley,

Your thyroid tests from 2nd Nov 2007 showed a TSH 2.2, and free T4 13.4. Total T3 levels are of little, if any, value in monitoring thyroid hormone replacement due to the short half life of this hormone. TSH is the best marker, and it on this that most of the morbidity and mortality data regarding hypothyroidism are based.

Your results are acceptable, but could also allow for a slight increase in your dose. It would require a further blood test six weeks after starting the new dose to determine whether this had resulted in over-replacement.

BW

Dr Rob Murray

Not quite sure what these means. I am due to go see him again in a couple of weeks but don't really want to as he wasn't too happy that I was on Armour and also that I go onto the internet to research underactive thyroid!!!

I have asked my Dr last week if he can refer me to Dr Burrows but it all depends on budget so am waiting for him to let me know.

Thanks Chan

Thanks & Sheila appreciate your comments

Chan

I think his comments are thoughtful and fair. I guess he is saying you need to increase your dose of Armour (usually we recommend increases of half a grain daily) and after that to get your thyroid function tested 6 weeks after you start the new dose.If you are using Armour, your TSH should be at the bottom of the range, and your Free T4 should be much higher, so yes, you do need an increase. Perhaps if your endocrinologist did a little research using the Internet, he would learn something.

Hope you get a referral to Dr B - but whether or not you decide to take up your endocrinologists consultation, that is up to you. *Grin*.

luv - Sheila

Hi Sheila

Dear Ms Baggaley,

BW

Dr Rob Murray

Thanks Chan

Sent from - a smarter inbox.