Guest guest

My mum says she has been told by her doctor that Thyroxine has

CAUSED her high cholesterol levels and may cause her bones to thin

and give her heart problems. I don't understand this as I thought

that her hypothyroidism, NOT the treatment, had caused her

cholesterol to rise and was responsible for the problems she's had

with her heart over these years. Also, I thought bone thinning was

associated with hyperthyroidism and her thyroid was overactive only

briefly when they were trying to sort out her medication levels.

Also, I get the impression that doctors are overprescribing statins

willy nilly as a new miracle drug - do they get paid incentives for

this? If mum is persuaded to take statins to " counter the

cholesterol-raising effects of thyroxine " (!!!), I think it may harm

her.

Obviously I don't know what the doctor's exact words were or if my

mum has interpreted them in the way he intended. It just sounds

suspect to me and I'd be grateful if someone could spell out the

facts for me.

Thanks,

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

undermedication causes high cholesterol.

She would have to be very overmedicated to get bone thinning ( she would feel very hyper)

it is just as dangerous to the heart to be undermedicated, as to be overmedicated.

statins can cause all sorts of problems see previous posts.?> > My mum says she has been told by her doctor that Thyroxine has > CAUSED her high cholesterol levels and may cause her bones to thin > and give her heart problems. I don't understand this as I thought > that her hypothyroidism, NOT the treatment, had caused her > cholesterol to rise and was responsible for the problems she's had > with her heart over these years. Also, I thought bone thinning was > associated with hyperthyroidism and her thyroid was overactive only > briefly when they were trying to sort out her medication levels.> > Thanks,> Tracey> > > > Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication. >

My mum says she has been told by her doctor that Thyroxine has CAUSED her high cholesterol levels and may cause her bones to thin and give her heart problems. I don't understand this as I thought that her hypothyroidism, NOT the treatment, had caused her cholesterol to rise and was responsible for the problems she's had with her heart over these years. Also, I thought bone thinning was associated with hyperthyroidism and her thyroid was overactive only briefly when they were trying to sort out her medication levels.

Stupid, stupid idiotic doctor. How DARE he call himself a doctor? Cholesterol is raised in people who have hypothyroidiosm and who are not being given the treatment. Replacement thyroid hormone causes high cholesterol to to down. Untreated (or undertreated hypothyroidism causes heart problems , and there are still no satisfactory studies to show that too much thyroxine can cause osteoporosis. Also, I get the impression that doctors are overprescribing statins willy nilly as a new miracle drug - do they get paid incentives for this? If mum is persuaded to take statins to "counter the cholesterol-raising effects of thyroxine" (!!!), I think it may harm her.

Well, after the paper published on the 18th which Bob posted on the forum last night, I very much doubt there will be overprescribing of statins in the future. I can see there might be some very red faces and possible law suits being threatened. Do persuade your Mum not to take any statins, but to take something like CoEnzyme Q10 and high dose Niacin (Vit.B3). Obviously I don't know what the doctor's exact words were or if my mum has interpreted them in the way he intended. It just sounds suspect to me and I'd be grateful if someone could spell out the facts for me.

Could you accompany your Mum enxt time she sees her GP Tracey?

Luv - SheilaThanks,Tracey

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.7/1232 - Release Date: 18/01/2008 19:32

It could be that her adrenals are the problem. How old is your Mum Tracey? You could get her some Nutri Adrenal glandulars and see if they help, as I do think that this could be the cause of here thyroid being "knocked" out. For many people who do not do well on thyroxine, it is because they are suffering low adrenal reserve.

Luv - Sheila

I'm worried that the cold or whatever it was has knocked her thyroid out of balance again. Is that possible? Dad is reluctant to call the GP out as mum is recovering albeit slowly. Any suggestions?Tracey

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.7/1234 - Release Date: 20/01/2008 14:15