you said ;-). This is exactly what people need to hear - that we're not

poor ignorant idiots who are making this decision for our children. Just

the opposite. I hope it opens some eyes and brings about some positive

responses in reply.

• 7 years later...

Good job ette.

I posted comments in response to one guy who commented

Here are his comments:

So, am I to assume that the Beurriers are willing to adopt every Down Syndrome baby born on the Treasure Coast? Of course they aren't.

Here's my reply to him.

,No, they might just be suggesting that a baby with Down syndrome has a right to life just as any other child. Yes, they require a little more help, but they deserve to live as much as any other child.Apparently too many people are too self absorbed to want to put some extra effort into taking care of a child with special needs in this "Me" generation.Parents don't have a choice to take care of their child who develops special needs after they are born - i.e. autism, cancer, muscular dystrophy, etc., why should knowing about something before the child is born make a difference in whether the parents decide to abort it?Once that child is born, parents don't have the luxury of saying, I don't want this baby/child because it has problems. And by the way, there is a waiting list of loving parents who want to adopt a child with Down syndrome - which is also information that parents should receive when their baby is diagnosed, but most don't receive this information, which goes back to ette's comments that new parents don't receive the proper information.Cheryl

Letter to the editor

My letter to the editor of the Stuart News concerning the American College of Obstetrics and Gynocology's recent recommendation to screen all pregnant women for Down Syndrome.

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/letters_to_the_editor/article/0,,TCP_24461_5302784,00.html

ette

Thanks Cheryl, I haven't been back to the comments section since this morning. I came here first to get some positive feedback before going there again!

For anyone, it would be great if you'd post some positive comments!

Thanks

ette

mom to Faith (9)DS

--------- Letter to the editor

My letter to the editor of the Stuart News concerning the American College of Obstetrics and Gynocology's recent recommendation to screen all pregnant women for Down Syndrome.

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/letters_to_the_editor/article/0,,TCP_24461_5302784,00.html

ette

Great job, ladies!!

m:

Down Syndrome Treatment

[mailto:Down Syndrome Treatment ] On Behalf Of C

ANDERSON

Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:56 AM

Down Syndrome Treatment

Subject: Re: Letter to the editor

Good job ette.

I posted comments in response to one guy who commented

Here are his comments:

So, am I to assume that the Beurriers are willing to adopt

every Down Syndrome baby born on the Treasure Coast? Of course they aren't.

Here's my reply to him.

No, they might just be suggesting that a baby with Down syndrome has a right to

life just as any other child. Yes, they require a little more help, but they

deserve to live as much as any other child.

Apparently too many people are too self absorbed to want to put some extra

effort into taking care of a child with special needs in this " Me "

generation.

Parents don't have a choice to take care of their child who develops special

needs after they are born - i.e. autism, cancer, muscular dystrophy, etc., why

should knowing about something before the child is born make a difference in

whether the parents decide to abort it?

Once that child is born, parents don't have the luxury of saying, I don't want

this baby/child because it has problems.

And by the way, there is a waiting list of loving parents who want to adopt a

child with Down syndrome - which is also information that parents should

receive when their baby is diagnosed, but most don't receive this information,

which goes back to ette's comments that new parents don't receive the

proper information.

Cheryl

-----

Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, January

25, 2007 7:13 AM

Subject:

Letter to the editor

My letter to the editor of the Stuart News concerning the

American College of Obstetrics and Gynocology's recent recommendation to screen

all pregnant women for Down Syndrome.

ette

so, it was you, smile. I was relieved when I read your message, telling myself there surely is someone like us, lol... you made an excellent point, and i love your view on a child's right of living. thanks for the explanation to this guy. kkC ANDERSON <andersonck@...> wrote: Good job ette. I posted comments in response to one guy who commented

Here are his comments: So, am I to assume that the Beurriers are willing to adopt every Down Syndrome baby born on the Treasure Coast? Of course they aren't. Here's my reply to him. ,No, they might just be suggesting that a baby with Down syndrome has a right to life just as any other child. Yes, they require a little more help, but they deserve to live as much as any other child.Apparently too many people are too self absorbed to want to put some extra effort into taking care of a child with special needs in this "Me" generation.Parents don't have a choice to take care of their child who develops special needs after they are born - i.e. autism, cancer, muscular dystrophy, etc., why should knowing about something before the child is born make a difference in whether the parents decide to abort it?Once that child is born, parents don't have the luxury of saying, I don't want

this baby/child because it has problems. And by the way, there is a waiting list of loving parents who want to adopt a child with Down syndrome - which is also information that parents should receive when their baby is diagnosed, but most don't receive this information, which goes back to ette's comments that new parents don't receive the proper information.Cheryl Letter to the editor My letter to the editor of the Stuart News concerning the American College of Obstetrics and Gynocology's recent recommendation to screen all pregnant women for Down Syndrome. http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/letters_to_the_editor/article/0,,TCP_24461_5302784,00.html ette

• 11 months later...

If you do send comments by way of Letter to the Editor, please remember you must put your name, address and telephone number - otherwise, it won't get published.

Luv - Sheila

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Great letter, Ellen,

I wish I could be as elequont with words. Tonight was Special Olympics night at

the ballpark (a minor league team). There were quite a few people there with

multiple disabilities. I just can't imagine what would happen to some of them.

Hoping to get a letter written this weekend.

Liz