ALCAT test

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

To us, it was a waste of money. However, for people who have definite problems,

e.g. Celiac disease, lactose intolerance, whatever, it might be worth it to

them. I think we spent around $180-200 each (it's been a long time). At that

time, we had a choice of how many foods we wanted to have our blood tested

against. One " stick " for blood and they put it in different vials of food.

Choices were 100 foods, 150 foods, etc. If a person doesn't want to spend the

money, they can do an elimination diet by themselves, for free.

Amber

I have brought up the ALCAT thing here before. Would you say the test

was worth the $400 or whatever? Does avoidance of certain foods

really make a big difference?

greg

• 3 years later...

Hi Deb - my nutritionist recommended it and handled the whole thing. I went to the lab with the little box she gave me, ice packs, and instructions, they drew the blood and shipped it Fedex to the ALCAT people. I think the cost is about $500-600, don't have my paperwork with me and it was bundled with the nutritionist fee for the 3-month treatment plan, so not sure. It's not cheap, but when I think of all the money I have shelled out to ENTs and labs over the years, I am hoping this will make a big difference.

When the results came back the nutritionist sat down and went over everything with me - about 3 hours. I am on an elimination diet for the next 6 weeks, cut out everything that I react to, and then after that I re-introduce each item slowly. She also had menu and supplement suggestions which were very helpful. I have cut out all gluten, all sugars and a lot of the nuts also. Who knew?!! I had been eating cashews and almonds by the handful and they are a 10 on my reactive scale ( on a scale of 1-10).

Too early to say how I feel, because I am also recovering from a bad sinus infection, but time will tell. Not finding it hard to stick to the diet so far tho.

samters From: dfsqueakie@...Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 06:57:40 -0700Subject: Re: ALCAT Test

Hi I was interested in the ALCAT testing for my daughter. Can you give me more details. I understand the blood has to be shipped at a certain temperature for the test to be accurate......where did you have the blood work done? Can I ask the cost? Areyou working with a doctor that uses these tests to treat patients? I have found that staying away from certain foods.....like gluten,sugar and dairy......do seem to make my daughter feel better. For her there is a diet connection. Mother of Snotty 2 shoes

DEB

From: <skydancer1@...>samters Sent: Mon, September 19, 2011 12:39:58 AMSubject: ALCAT Test

Has anyone had this test? I just had it done. Antigen Leukocyte Cellular Antibody Test. It's very comprehensive. They test your blood for any food or environmental poison that you react to at the cellular level. You may or may not have an actual allergy that you notice when you eat these foods, but they create chronic inflammation in your body. It was a real eye opener for me! I am reactive to a whole bunch of things, but not all high salicylates. In fact, I am OK with most fruits and most veggies. Gluten and sugars though, are my nemesis, plus wine, beer etc., a lot of spices, certain oils, and dyes. Now I am armed with a list of stuff I need to avoid completely for the next 6 weeks, then hopefully slowly re-introduce them one by one. Hoping it will give my immune system the boost it needs and together with the desens I just did, will keep the polyps and sinus infections at bay.

Hi , My daughter has had a chronic sinus infection also......which has not responded to antibiotics....ears have also been a problem.When she watches her diet she is much clearer....... When she does low carbs it works wonders. We live in Michigan......I knowthat the University of Michigan was doing a study a number of years ago on this condition. I believe they are looking for the genetic link in this disease process. My daughter was too young at the time to be a part of the study. She is now 23 years old....we have been battling this problem for about 10 years. She is so tired all the time and it really gets her down. We have done most everything........2 sinus surgeries .......daily aspirin......which my daughter chose discontinue after she

had her wisdom teeth pulled.......tons of medicines........on and on....... I hope your on to something with the ALCAT....... if it works for you... that willbe the next thing on our list of things to try...........again I wish you the best. Mother of Snotty 2 shoes DEBFrom: <skydancer1@...>samters Sent: Wed, September 21, 2011 8:48:27 PMSubject: RE: ALCAT Test

I'll know more over the next few weeks. I have a weekly check-in session with the nutritionist.

About re-introducing foods, I agree, I think the ones that are very reactive may have to stay out of your diet for ever. But no-one would stick to a diet that was total deprivation like you say, and the whole point is to heal the gut where your immune system operates. If the gut has been overloaded with foods that are toxic, then the immune system has been compromised. As the gut heals, you can re-introduce slowly, starting with the less reactive foods. I could never stick to something that was very restrictive because I love food too much. But I am a very active person, and have been sidelined for so long with sinus issues, I have to try this because the quality of my life has been totally affected by sinus infections/ear infections. Right now I have a catheter in my arm to give myself daily meds for 30 days for a sinus infection that does not respond to oral antibiotics. See what I mean? sucks.

I agree that it has to be a way of life, something you can stick to long term. The doctors I know are really good at prescribing drugs and doing surgery, but when it comes to stuff like this, I would search for an alternative MD who can turn you on to a good nutritionist.

samters From: dfsqueakie@...Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:05:55 -0700Subject: Re: ALCAT Test

Hi , Thank you for your reply. I will be interested in your progress. My daughter finds it hard to stick to a diet.......even when it appears to be working. I do think diet is a very big piece to this puzzle. At least that has been our observation. I mentioned the diet connection to a Dr. once and he said " yeah.....we know about the diet .....and how it can help with allergies, sinus issues, most heath issues can be helped with diet but people won't follow a restrictive diet". He also said...."we don't talk about diet to patients because they won't follow it". Also, I was wondering why would you reintroduce the food that comes up on the list, like the nuts? Wouldn't you just eliminate that from your diet altogether and not reintroduce it?

Mother of Snotty 2 shoes

DEB

From: <skydancer1@...>samters Sent: Mon, September 19, 2011 9:42:13 PMSubject: RE: ALCAT Test

Hi Deb - my nutritionist recommended it and handled the whole thing. I went to the lab with the little box she gave me, ice packs, and instructions, they drew the blood and shipped it Fedex to the ALCAT people. I think the cost is about $500-600, don't have my paperwork with me and it was bundled with the nutritionist fee for the 3-month treatment plan, so not sure. It's not cheap, but when I think of all the money I have shelled out to ENTs and labs over the years, I am hoping this will make a big difference. When the results came back the nutritionist sat down and went over everything with me - about 3 hours. I am on an elimination diet for the next 6 weeks, cut out everything that I react to, and then after that I re-introduce each item slowly. She also had menu and supplement suggestions which were very helpful. I have cut out all gluten, all sugars and a lot of the nuts

also. Who knew?!! I had been eating cashews and almonds by the handful and they are a 10 on my reactive scale ( on a scale of 1-10). Too early to say how I feel, because I am also recovering from a bad sinus infection, but time will tell. Not finding it hard to stick to the diet so far tho.

samters From: dfsqueakie@...Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 06:57:40 -0700Subject: Re: ALCAT Test

Hi I was interested in the ALCAT testing for my daughter. Can you give me more details. I understand the blood has to be shipped at a certain temperature for the test to be accurate......where did you have the blood work done? Can I ask the cost? Areyou working with a doctor that uses these tests to treat patients? I have found that staying away from certain foods.....like gluten,sugar and dairy......do seem to make my daughter feel better. For her there is a diet connection. Mother of Snotty 2 shoes

DEB

From: <skydancer1@...>samters Sent: Mon, September 19, 2011 12:39:58 AMSubject: ALCAT Test Has anyone had this test? I just had it done. Antigen Leukocyte Cellular Antibody Test. It's very comprehensive. They test your blood for any food or environmental poison that you react to at the cellular level. You may or may not have an actual allergy that you notice when you eat these foods, but they create chronic inflammation in your body. It was a real eye opener for me! I am reactive to a whole bunch of things, but not all high salicylates. In fact, I am OK with most fruits and most veggies. Gluten and sugars though, are my nemesis, plus wine, beer etc., a lot of spices, certain oils, and dyes. Now I am armed with a list of stuff I need to avoid completely for the next 6 weeks, then hopefully slowly re-introduce them one by one. Hoping it will give my immune system the boost it needs and together with the desens I just did, will keep the polyps and sinus infections at bay.