RemedySpot.com

Re: Cortisol/DHEA advice

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Katy

This does sound to be an adrenal problem, but, because you cannot raise your Armour, have you also considered this might be because you have a low ferritin level (stored iron) or a Candida problem. Any of these three problems can be a cause of your not being able to tolerate a higher dose. Ask your GP to give you a test to see your ferritin level. There is a reference range of 20 to 200 for women (higher for men) and if yours is very low, you would need to take some elemental iron, something like Ferrous Sulphate. You would start on a lowish dose and gradually work up to 200 mgs a day. If this is the problem, and you need extra iron, never take the iron anywhere near taking your Armour - the two don't like each other - neither does Calcium like thyroid hormone supplements either.

Go to our Files and look at the Candida Questionnaire and see how you score. You should also take a glass of water up to bed with you and when you wake, without eating, drinking or cleaning your teeth, work up as much sputum as possible and spit it into the top of the glass. If you have Candida, you will eventually see thin threads from your saliva dropping down to the bottom of the glass - the water might go cloudy too. This is a sign you suffer this. Candida also stops you being able to increase your dose, so sorry, but that also needs treating.

You might want to start taking Nutri Adrenal Extra to start with - you might not actually need cortisol, but this is a trial. You can get these from http://www.yournutritionshop.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=657 & gclid=COmeyZbv7pACFQHmlAod-hv2sQ. Start by taking one tablet for a couple of days with your breakfast, and if you have no adverse reaction, add another tablet with your lunch, but you don't take them after 1.00p.m. as the extra adrenalin could keep you awake. After a couple of weeks, if no adverse effects, add another tablet with either your breakfast dose or lunch dose, it is up to you. You can increase in this way up to 4 tablets, and some people go higher. You can take up to 6 a day, especially in very stressful situations.

Are you taking any Magnesium or natural Progesterone as both these help. Also, do you take Selenium. Selenium is vital in helping convert T4 to T3 and you should be taking 200 mcgs daily.

As far as DHEA is concerned, it is recommended by the 'Thyroid docs' that you take 25 mgs daily. Some people don't feel any effect for a long time, and this can be up to 3 months, so you have to be very patient, but you will get there.

Only 2 of your cortisol results appear OK - your 8.00a.m. one and the midnight one. The other two are very low. The DHEA results are all over the place, so you do need supplementation. We usually advise people (if possible) to get tested when you have a fairly stressful day (not on a day of rest such as Sunday). You are measuring what stress does to your adrenals.

Hope this helps.

Luv - Sheila

----- Original Message -----

Hello allI've been on and off this list for over two years now, and been lurking for some time, but need a bit of advice today.I'm taking 2 grains Armour and have been for the past 16 months, and started taking Armour 2 years ago. I tried taking more (2 ½ grains) and less last year, but neither time did I feel well – I felt much worse. 2 grains seemed to be my best equilibrium. But what with the perimenopause complicating things I haven't been feeling well at all over the past few months – and had a horrendous three week holiday in August where I was exhausted almost the whole time. I interpret this as an Adrenal problem, and I have finally had a salivary adrenal test. As it happens I had my TFTs done the same day. Here are all the results:Cortisol:8 am – 16.5 (12-33)12.00 – 3.7 (10-28)4.00 – 5.4 (6-11.8)Midnight – 1 (1-5)Salivary DHEA:8 am – 6.2 (7-18.3)12.00 – 4.6 (4.8-8.2)4.00 – 3.8 (3.5-6)Midnight – 4 (2-4)TFTs:Free T4: 13.3 (7.5-21.1)Free T3: 4.7 (3.5-6.5)TSH: 0.84 (0.34-5.6)The tests were done on what I would consider was a "reasonable day", so I imagine that if they were done on a bad day, they would be much worse. It seems to me my adrenals are indeed suffering and this may account for why I still don't feel well (tired days, bad days, reasonable days, mood swings, depression). I'm seeing my thyroid doctor on Tuesday, but as he is a homeopath he may not be able to advise on these results. I would be interested to have some comments from members and also pointers as to where to get hold of Cortisol/cortisone supplements and how much to take (DHEA I can get in H & B – but how much to take?)ThanksKaty

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1218 - Release Date: 10/01/2008 13:32

Hi Sheila

Well my ferritin has been tested and is OK and I have done the

Candida questionnaire before and not come out showing a problem.

Also, I took Nutri adrenal extra for about a year and it didnt help.

I then moved on to Nutri-west's version which has more active

ingredients - Adreno Lyph Plus, which I know Dr Peatfield recommends -

but I have been taking that for a couple of months and it hasn't

helped very much .. which is why I decided to test the adrenals. In

fact, I spoke briefly to Dr Peatfield at a seminar in December and he

recommended I do this in the New Year if there was no improvement.

I also use progesterone cream and have been using it for about 15

months now. I find it extremely helpful for my hot flushes and

migraine headaches I was getting because of the perimenopause. I

take plenty of supplements, including magnesium, and I eat a handful

of Brazil nuts every day for the selenium. :D

I knew about the importance of testing on a bad day .. but the thing

is I don't know how I'm going to feel from one day to the next, and

you have to take the first sample at 8 am before I am aware of

whether the day will be good or bad! I just had to plump for a day

and it turned out to be reasonable. It was not a day of rest,

however.

So with the DHEA - is it advisable to supplement that first - for a

few months - before trying cortisol supplements as well?

Thanks ..

Katy

Hi katy,

If you think that it may be perimenopause, have you considered

progesterone. See http://www.progesterone.co.uk

I take 25mg DHEA

But what with the

perimenopause complicating things I haven't been feeling well at all

over the past few months - and had a horrendous three week holiday in

August where I was exhausted almost the whole time.

Thanks

Katy

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

Katy/ - Ive been using Serenity Progesterone Cream and have to say Im quite amazed - my main reason for taking it was dizziness, hypoglycaemia and this has completely stopped now! I would urge anyone with PMS symptoms to give it a try.

Gill

Hi katy,If you think that it may be perimenopause, have you consideredprogesterone. See http://www.progesterone.co.uk I take 25mg DHEABut what with the perimenopause complicating things I haven't been feeling well at all over the past few months - and had a horrendous three week holiday in August where I was exhausted almost the whole time.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.6/1192 - Release Date: 21/12/07 13:17

/Gill

Yes - I said in my previous post that I have been using natural

progesterone cream for aobut 15 months now. I do find it helpful for

the flushes and migrainous headaches I was getting. But it doesnt

seem to help my general thyroid/adrenal type symptoms.

Any advice as to where I can get natural hydrocortisone or cortisone

acetate from? In Dr Lee's book on the use of NPC, he talks about

these but doesnt say if they are topical creams like progesterone or

oral tablets, or ... ? Help please!

Katy

>

> Katy/ - Ive been using Serenity Progesterone Cream and have to

say Im quite amazed - my main reason for taking it was dizziness,

hypoglycaemia and this has completely stopped now! I would urge

anyone with PMS symptoms to give it a try.

> Gill

>

>

Hi Katy,

You can get prednisone tablets from

http://www.internationalpharmcy.com , no doubt others will let you know

where you can get the adrenal glandulars from. I have little experience of

these.

/Gill

Yes - I said in my previous post that I have been using natural

progesterone cream for aobut 15 months now. I do find it helpful for

the flushes and migrainous headaches I was getting. But it doesnt

seem to help my general thyroid/adrenal type symptoms.

Any advice as to where I can get natural hydrocortisone or cortisone

acetate from? In Dr Lee's book on the use of NPC, he talks about

these but doesnt say if they are topical creams like progesterone or

oral tablets, or ... ? Help please!

Katy

>

> Katy/ - Ive been using Serenity Progesterone Cream and have to

say Im quite amazed - my main reason for taking it was dizziness,

hypoglycaemia and this has completely stopped now! I would urge

anyone with PMS symptoms to give it a try.

> Gill

>

>

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

Hi Gill,

No, Thank Dr. P who originally

suggested it!

Katy/ - Ive been using Serenity

Progesterone Cream and have to say Im quite amazed - my main reason for taking

it was dizziness, hypoglycaemia and this has completely stopped now! I

would urge anyone with PMS symptoms to give it a try.

Gill

progesterone. See http://www.progesterone.co.uk

Internal Virus Database

is out-of-date.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.6/1192 - Release Date: 21/12/07 13:17