RemedySpot.com

Re: Concept of 'p' medicine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello,

Thanx Mohammad Bashar sir, for showing an interest in this topic and your active contribution.There is certain overlaping between concept of 'p' medicine and drug of choice. I am trying to clarify both concept.

P-drugs are the drugs you have chosen to prescribe regularly, and with which you have become familiar. They are your priority choice for given indications. Selection of `p' drug depends on efficacy, safety, suitability and cost. P drugs will differ from country to country, and between doctors, because of varying availability and cost of drugs, different national formularies and essential drugs lists, medical culture, and individual interpretation of information.

Institutional, national and international (including WHO) standard treatment

guidelines have been developed to deal with the most common conditions, such

as acute respiratory tract infections, diarrhoeal diseases and sexually transmitted

diseases. They are based on good scientific evidence and consensus between

experts. For these reasons they are a valuable tool for rational prescribing and

you should consider them very carefully when choosing your P-drugs. In most

cases you will want to incorporate them in your practice.

Drug of choice that is regarded as being the best agent or first agent to use when treating a particular condition; DOCs usually have the lowest toxicity and the widest therapeutic range of the available agents. Drug of choice does not take into consideration suitability and cost. DOC for any disease condition may be your `p' drug if it fulfills all criteria for p drug.( efficacy, safety, suitability and cost ) .DOC is not personalized but p drug is personalized for doctor.

In case of tuberculosis, Isoniazid is one of the drug of choice. At the same time, it is suitable as well as cost effective also. Hence, Isoniazid can be your `p' drug for Tuberculosis.

Regards,

Chaitali

> > >> > > From: chaitali_bajait chaitali_bajait@ ...> > > Subject: Concept of 'p' medicine> > > netrumgroups (DOT) com> > > Date: Wednesday, 17 December, 2008, 8:19 PM> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > Dear Netrumians,> > > Â> > > First of all, I am very much thankful to Dr. Vijay Sir, for giving me> > an opportunity to moderate a discussion on NetRum.> > > I am Chaitali, lecturer in Pharmacology, GMC, Nagpur.> > > I welcome you all for the discussion "Concept of P medicine".> > > Â> > > Before starting discussion, let's have some initial background> > > Irrational use of medicines is a major problem all over the world. The> > World Health Organization (WHO) and many other bodies are concentrating> > on improving the use of medicines.> > > Â> > > The rational use of drug based on the rule of right: that means the> > right drug, given to the right patients, in right doses, at the right> > cost. But most of the time, medical practitioners copy the prescribing> > behavior of their clinical teachers or existing standard treatment> > guidelines, without explanation as to why certain treatments are chosen.> > > Â> > > The question now arises as "How to choose the right drug for patient> > to achieve the set therapeutic goal as per the diagnosis of the> > disease?" Answer is just by following `p' drug/medicine concept. > > The drugs you are going to prescribe regularly and with which you will> > become familiar are called P (personal)-drug.> > > Dear friends, I would like to discuss this topic under following> > headings:> > > Â> > >> > > Explain P medicine concept in detail.> > > Do we really follow `p' drug concept while prescribing?> > > What is the difference between `p' drug and `p' treatment> > > Who do you think should play the main role in promoting and ensuring p> > medicine concept?> > > What do you see as the pharmacologist' s role in promoting `p'> > medicine concept?> > > What do you mean by problem based learning?> > > What is your experience regarding problem based learning?> > > What specific actions have been taken in India towards promoting `p'> > drug medicine?> > > What difficulties are there in promoting `p' medicine concept at a> > national level?> > > Do you know of other countries that have developed these strategies> > successfully?> > > What is scenario in developed and developing economies regarding the> > practice of p drug?> > > Â> > > Once again I welcome you all to share your knowledge and experience on> > the common platform of NetRUM> > > Â> > > Regards,> > > Â> > > Dr. Chaitali> > > Lecturer> > > Department of Pharmacology> > > Govt. Medical College> > > Nagpur.> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to> > http://messenger. / invite/> > >>