RemedySpot.com

improving access to medicines

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello,

One more factor has emerged from the posting of Dr. Srisailam , that of storage of medicines.

To maintain the potency we all agree that proper storage is necessary. How many public hospitals ( primary , secondary level) have ideal conditions of storage? In a big hospital such as ours, we have a cold storage room but in case of electrical fault, we do not have any stand by facility.

The news that 24 hr. pharmacy with generic medicines in each district as informed by Amit Panchal is no doubt a welcome step. What in addition I would suggest is- insurance cover for economically backward classes.

The pharma industry, as rightly said by Amit does no research in neglected diseases.

Santosh has a point when he says that commonly used medicines are availble .It is the less frequently used medicines whose accessibility is a problem.

I have a strong opinion about this factor. Procurement of medicines should be done taking into consideration the economic principles and good inventory management . This is a very developed field and where ever possible, before deciding upon the inventory to be maintained by any public hospital the experts in the management field should be consulted to minimise the stock out periods and over stocking which again wastes valuable resources due to unnessesary stock holding.

And by experience I can say that an expert's opinion does make a difference in availbility and accessibility.

kunda

Accessibility is directly related to finance.When we talk of finance as a prime factor we should consider the NPPA stand and its scope .

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.