RemedySpot.com

Random Acts of Patience

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Random Acts of Patience

For some months now, I've been purposely choosing the longest lines to stand in -- supermarket, movies, cash register at stores during holidays so as to "develop" patience. Then, if someone looks stressed, like a mom with kids or something, I give my place away and move back to the line or longest line.What goes on is my mind races. I start blaming -- clerk for not being faster or organization for not having more checkers, or the lady with the coupons, the man who's visa card isn't accepted. I judge the people in front of me. I notice what a rush I'm in and question why I'm doing this. My monkey mind starts to consume me, racing with endless stream of such thoughts.I often fail to do this process, just getting carried away by my to do list and my internal stress or "forgetting" to do it. But sometimes I learn -- my mind pauses a bit, I feel the presence of those in the line near me, I breathe a little longer. I observe my inner workings and how that affects my outward behavior. And perhaps in some subtle ways, this process may serve others too.It's a random act of patience, you could call it.

Aseem Kaistha

It's your attitude and not your aptitude that determines your altitude.