RemedySpot.com

Re: Pharm D Course in India-Attn. Pankaj Jain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Pankaj Jain:

Thanks a lot for participating in this discussion. Nice to have dynamic people like you over netrum. You have raised many important issue. I would like to comment on them pointwise as under: Your points are highlighted in yellow, followed by my comments.

a lot of discussion is going on course PharmD. If it will be equivalent to MPharm or PhD, will be called Doctors or not, will they prescribe or not and so on.. Most of these questions have been answered during the ongoing discussion, please refer previous posts, particularly first one.

everyone is sure on one point that PharmD will work of USA or other developed nations. no one is sure what will be the fate of PharmD's in India This aspect has also been discussed, please see the attached articles by Prof. Balasubramaniam and Dr. B. Suresh's comments published in June issue of Pharma Times.

now I would like to ask everyone CAN INDIA IS IN A POSITION TO SPEND ITS RESOURSES AND MONEY TO TRAIN PERSONS WHO WILL SERVE OTHER NATION? Again answer to this question lies in the comments of Dr. B. Suresh, president PCI, who has made it amply clear that it was a tragedy of sorts for Indian pharmacy graduates who couldn't find any suitable placement abroad after completion of their B.Pharm. in India and the new PharmD course is aimed at opening new vistas for our pass-outs in not only foreign countries but within India too. When all other professionals like doctors, engineers, architects, programmers could seek greener's pastures abroad, why pharmacy graduates should be barred from doing so. Of course PharmD candidates will be available for the home turf also besides western nations.

I feel a lot of home work had to be done before starting the course. we belongs to a country where even a DPharm is missing from Chemists shops. Out of numerous drug retail counters not even a single percent are Pharmacy all are chemists. PCI has been working for the last five years for starting PharmD course and the success has not come to it on a silver platter, it has rather been achieved after lot of home work and deliberations. Of course we need to develop a lot in respect of clinical pharmacy services but somewhere a beginning has to be made and PharmD is just a right step in that direction.

Till date PCI approval is not mandatory for BPharm. Under Section 12 of Pharmacy Act, approval is mandatory for B.Pharm degree course. PharmD course can be started in only such institutions as are approved by PCI for running B.Pharm degree course under section 12 of the Pharmacy Act, 1948, no other college or university can start this course.

How we can assume that by 2011 something can be achieved? By means of collective and concerted efforts from all stake-holders, if this goal cannot be achieved in toto by 2011, at least a modest beginning can be made and things can be changed for good. PharmD candidates will be of great help in that direction, I believe.

if we need that PharmD prescribes by July 2011, we will need amendments in acts, which will be the jurisdiction on not even a single ministry. It will require the consent of cabinet ministers. PharmD regulations already stand prescribed and notified by the Pharmacy Council of India on May 10th, 2008. Notification has also been published in the official Gazette of the Govt. of India. No need to approach single ministry or union cabinet for that. Course has already been started in more than 25 colleges and first batch will be ready by 2014/2011 (attention Dr. Anupama Sukhlecha in response to her post)

it will be opposed from medical fraternity there has been no such opposition whatsoever till date

if we will keep on working in the same way as we are doing since last few decades.. We need at least 20 years to improve. PharmD course has been commenced with a view to foster and develop practice of clinical pharmacy in India and to seek greater role and responsibility for our pharmacy graduates in patient healthcare. It is mandatory to have a 350 bedded hospital attached to any college that wishes to start the new course. Therefore an all round support to the new course shall mean less time required to develop pharmacy profession in India.

First we need to strengthen the PCI and help B. Suresh and PP Sharma in every way so that they can take PCI at its real position only than we can assure right place for DPharm, BPharm, MPharm and PharmD. We all have to work together. I completely agree with this positive viewpoint.

to start will we can start a new discussion how to strengthen the PCI. We will have a number of opinions, we can compile them with concrete planning and assurance to help, and then can forward to authorities of PCI. Instead of starting a new discussion, we still have two more days to go for the present discussion which is quite relevant for deliberating on this issue. All interested can put forth their views and suggestions here. I assure you to make it visible to the maximum people possible.

Looking forward to greater interaction from your end during the ongoing discussion.

With regards

Dr. Geer M. Ishaq

Assistant Professor

Dept. of Pharmaceutical Sciences

University of Kashmir

Srinagar-190006 (J & K)

Ph: 9419970971, 9906673100

From: Pankaj Jain <jainp7@...>netrum Sent: Sunday, 7 December, 2008 4:36:29 PMSubject: Pharm D

Dear Friends,a lot of discussion is going on course PharmD. If it will be equivalent to MPharm or PhD, will be called Doctors or not, will they prescribe or not and so on.. It’s natural that whenever something new starts it goes through a appraisal through various minds. the same kind of discussions are also going on some other websites but everyone is sure on one point that PharmD will work of USA or other developed nations. no one is sure what will be the fate of PharmD's in India now I would like to ask everyone CAN INDIA IS IN A POSITION TO SPEND ITS RESOURSES AND MONEY TO TRAIN PERSONS WHO WILL SERVE OTHER NATION? I feel a lot of home work had to be done before starting the course. we belongs to a country where even a DPharm is missing from Chemists shops. Out of numerous drug retail counters not even a single percent are Pharmacy all are chemists. Some may say that I am diverting from the topic but all things need to be

evaluating from a wider angle.Till date PCI approval is not mandatory for BPharm. Till date there is no model syllabus from PCI for BPharm. How we can assume that by 2011 something can be achieved? Lets plan backwards... if we need that PharmD prescribes by July 2011, we will need amendments in acts, which will be the jurisdiction on not even a single ministry. It will require the consent of cabinet ministers. We will be opposed from medical fraternity as till date we pharmacists failed to tell the importance of pharmaceutical services.. 2008 is almost over only 2 and half years are remaining. if we will keep on working in the same way as we are doing since last few decades.. We need at least 20 years to improve. First we need to strengthen the PCI and help B. Suresh and PP Sharma in every way so that they can take PCI at its real position only than we can assure right place for DPharm, BPharm, MPharm and PharmD. We all have to work together. To

start will we can start a new discussion how to strengthen the PCI. We will have a number of opinions, we can compile them with concrete planning and assurance to help, and then can forward to authorities of PCI. Friends i would like to publish your views on PharmD in Medicare News. pls email your views with your complete details at jainp7gmail (DOT) com. During IPC I will be in Media Centre all are welcome to interact.Pankaj JainMPharm, MBA, PGDPhM, PGDHM, DCRAssociate EditorMedicare News, Rohtak, HaryanaCo-Chairman, Press & Publicity Committee60th IPC, Dwarka, New DelhiPh: +91-98124 51171EMail: jainp7gmail (DOT) com

Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger.