RemedySpot.com

ATC/DDD what we learnt--

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello All ,

It was a good attempt by few ,at replying to my post, which showed that the posts are being read.

Let us now focus our attention on Defined Daily Dose. DDD is the assumed average maintenance dose per day for a drug used for its main indication in adults It provides a unit of measurement enabling the researchers to assess trends in drug consumption and to perform comparisons between population groups. It is a unit of measurement and does not necessarily reflect the recommended or prescribed daily dose.

For topical products, sera, vaccines, anesthetics, anti- neoplastics, and contrast media DDDs are not established, because these doses are very diverse. There are specific guidelines for assigning DD to plain products combination medicines, fixed dose groups depot formulations and pediatric preparations.

It is emphasized here that DDD is nearly always a compromise based on a review of the available information on doses used in various countries.

There are different methods of presenting the data on drug utilization studies.

DDD per 1000 –mostly used for chronically used drugs.

DDD per 100 bed days.- used for hospital based drug utilization study where the bed occupancy is considered.

DDD per inhabitant per year- used for market statistics, indicates the utilization by every inhabitant during a certain year.

somehow use of ATC /DDD was not put forth with conviction at the TBS . So even I have doubts of its use in practical applications in research other than drug utilisation studies.

Sarang, I will try to reply to your question in my next post.

kunda

Save all your chat conversations. Find them online.