RemedySpot.com

Re: Why WHO wants to change counterfeit definition ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Rakesh, Geer and Anupama,

Even I am of the opinion that WHO is above board and impartial.

Hence I was not willing to accept the overt blaim on WHO for

favouring change in definition of counterfeits which is detrimental

to developing world which survives on generics.

Now I have reason to change the held opinion, if the effort to

change definition of counterfeit is adopted, unless WHO convicingly

justifies that it will not kill generic industry.

If the interest of developed economies and giant pharmaceutical

corporates is paramount for them then obviously the interest of the

marginalised is being sacrificed to please the powerful.

Time alone will tell if our suspicion is true.

Vijay

> >

> > Problem is that generic drugs that are similar either in look or

> colour

> > to some other generic or branded drug may be declared

counterfeit as

> > per the new definition which is fraught with serious

ramifications

> for

> > the generic trade.

> > Ishaq

> >

>

>

>

>

> Be the first one to try the new Messenger 9 Beta! Go to

http://in.messenger./win/

>

hello,

I went through the definition of counterfeit medicines in Wikipedia which is reproduced below.

Counterfeit drug

A counterfeit drug or medicine is one which is produced and sold with the intent to deceptively represent its origin, authenticity or effectiveness. It may be one which does not contain active ingredients, contains an insufficient or inaccurate quantity of active ingredients, or contains entirely incorrect active ingredients (which may or may not be harmful), and may be sold with inaccurate, incorrect, or fake packaging.

There is also a significant trade in high quality counterfeit pharmaceutical drugs.

Illegal recreational drugs may also be counterfeited, either for profit or for the deception of rival drug distributors or narcotics officers.

Generic drugs that are legally manufactured and sold without deceptive representations regarding origin, authenticity or effectiveness are not counterfeits.

I have underlined the definition in relation to generics. It specifically states that generics are not counterfeits. And may be precisely for this reason the definition is proposed for change. so that our generic market is slowly extinguished.

we must oppose this WHO action .

kunda

From: Vijay <drvijaythawani@...>Subject: Re: Why WHO wants to change counterfeit definition ?netrum Date: Sunday, 23 November, 2008, 9:09 PM

Hi Rakesh, Geer and Anupama,Even I am of the opinion that WHO is above board and impartial. Hence I was not willing to accept the overt blaim on WHO for favouring change in definition of counterfeits which is detrimental to developing world which survives on generics.Now I have reason to change the held opinion, if the effort to change definition of counterfeit is adopted, unless WHO convicingly justifies that it will not kill generic industry.If the interest of developed economies and giant pharmaceutical corporates is paramount for them then obviously the interest of the marginalised is being sacrificed to please the powerful.Time alone will tell if our suspicion is true..Vijay> >> > Problem is that generic drugs that are similar either in look or > colour > > to some other generic or branded drug may be declared counterfeit as > > per the new definition which is fraught with serious ramifications > for > > the generic trade.> > Ishaq> >> > > > > Be the

first one to try the new Messenger 9 Beta! Go to http://in.messenger ./ win/>

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Thanks Kunda madam for having the courage of conviction to express that "Generic drugs that are legally manufactured and sold without deceptive representations regarding origin, authenticity or effectiveness are not counterfeits" and "generics are not counterfeits. And may be precisely for this reason the definition is proposed for change. so that our generic market is slowly extinguished".

May I hear the opinion from other enlightened NetRUMians please?> > >> > > Problem is that generic drugs that are similar either in look or > > colour > > > to some other generic or branded drug may be declared > counterfeit as > > > per the new definition which is fraught with serious > ramifications > > for > > > the generic trade.> > > Ishaq> > >> > > > > > > > > > Be the first one to try the new Messenger 9 Beta! Go to > http://in.messenger ./ win/> >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://messenger./invite/>

Hi,

It was today morning that I put the specific poser on E-drug (which

is also read by WHO staff) to know whether change in definition of

counterfeit will affect the generics, as it is being feared.

I am yet to see my post appear on E-drug.

Hope it will be answered and we will not have to derive the meaning

from the silence.

Dr Vijay Thawani

Hi,

Not only developing countries, even some developed nations use the generics imported from India and developing countries because they find them much cheaper compared to branded ones.

If generics are termed counterfeits, even developed nations will be losing, atleast to some extent.

"Promote generics, do not ban them"- even our medical ethics recommend use of generics.

-Anupama

From: Vijay <drvijaythawani@ .co. in>Subject: Re: Why WHO wants to change counterfeit definition ?netrumgroups (DOT) comDate: Sunday, 23 November, 2008, 9:09 PM

Hi Rakesh, Geer and Anupama,Even I am of the opinion that WHO is above board and impartial. Hence I was not willing to accept the overt blaim on WHO for favouring change in definition of counterfeits which is detrimental to developing world which survives on generics.Now I have reason to change the held opinion, if the effort to change definition of counterfeit is adopted, unless WHO convicingly justifies that it will not kill generic industry.If the interest of developed economies and giant pharmaceutical corporates is paramount for them then obviously the interest of the marginalised is being sacrificed to please the powerful.Time alone will tell if our suspicion is true..Vijay> >> > Problem is that generic drugs that are similar either in look or > colour > > to some other generic or branded drug may be declared counterfeit as > > per the new definition which is fraught with serious ramifications > for > > the generic trade.> > Ishaq> >> > > > > Be the

first one to try the new Messenger 9 Beta! Go to http://in.messenger ./ win/>

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger.