RemedySpot.com

Re: Hands and arms falling asleep at night/piriformis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oh Pam, I hear ya'. I have it on both sides as well. Right now it's my left side that's worse. A couple weeks ago it was the right side. I had my physical therapist do extra work on the right side, so naturally now the left side is acting up, lol. I cannot sit for more than 15 or twenty minutes without serious pain going down my leg. Sometimes it's both legs and I can hardly walk. But I push myself and hobble around work like an 84 year old not a 34 year old :( 22 surgeries! You have been through so much Pam! I hope the majority of them have been a great help to you :) I also have a lot of joint/muscle/tendon issues. I'm not keen on the idea of having part of my muscle cut out though. I'm so afraid I might be in more pain after because of fibro/cfs. I prefer to stick with physical therapy and stretching, etc., at least at this point. There is a new health group I think called priformissyndrome you might be interested in. It seems like

most of the people there had or are having surgery but there are a handful with some other alternative methods of dealing with this. The moderator is doing quite well and will not be having surgery. Do you have any stretches or exercises you do for it? Be well :)

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

My rheumatologist gave me some stretching exercises to do for it. I admit I don't do them regularly. I keep wondering if accupuncture might help. Thanks for letting me know about the group. I'll check it out.

Pam

Re: Hands and arms falling asleep at night/piriformis

Oh Pam, I hear ya'. I have it on both sides as well. Right now it's my left side that's worse. A couple weeks ago it was the right side. I had my physical therapist do extra work on the right side, so naturally now the left side is acting up, lol. I cannot sit for more than 15 or twenty minutes without serious pain going down my leg. Sometimes it's both legs and I can hardly walk. But I push myself and hobble around work like an 84 year old not a 34 year old :(

22 surgeries! You have been through so much Pam! I hope the majority of them have been a great help to you :) I also have a lot of joint/muscle/tendon issues. I'm not keen on the idea of having part of my muscle cut out though. I'm so afraid I might be in more pain after because of fibro/cfs. I prefer to stick with physical therapy and stretching, etc., at least at this point. There is a new health group I think called priformissyndrome you might be interested in. It seems like most of the people there had or are having surgery but there are a handful with some other alternative methods of dealing with this. The moderator is doing quite well and will not be having surgery. Do you have any stretches or exercises you do for it?

Be well :)

Pam, is there a way you can share what stretching exercises he gave you to do? Sometimes I think I would feel so much better if I could just stretch these muscles out. But I can't get on the floor (or let me rephrase that, I can get on it - but not up again which is why I don't take baths anymore *sad*) - I'm working on it though! in PhxPam Horne <pmarshall@...> wrote: My rheumatologist gave me some stretching exercises to do for it. I admit I don't do them regularly. I keep wondering if accupuncture might help. Thanks for letting me know about the group. I'll check it out. Pam

Hi , sorry to take so long to respond. I was out of town yesterday with my husband, buying a lawnmower. My husband is a lawnmower junkie. But enough of that.

Here are the stretches my rheumie told me to do for the piriformis syndrome: 1. Stand in front of a table or high bed that is about even in height to your lower abdomen. On the side that you experience the pain, bend your knee and place your leg, knee bent on the table or bed. Twist your torso in the direction of your bent leg until you feel the stretch in your piri muscle. Lean as far as you can in the direction of your leg. Hold for 5 seconds, then repeat slowly 5 times. Do the other leg. 2. This one is usually done on the floor, but I don't see why you can't lie down on your bed instead. Use your hands to bring your bent knee as far towards your chest as is comfortable. Lean your knee towards the other side of your body and gently pull the knee towards your chest until you feel the stretch. Hold for 5 seconds, then repeat slowly 5 times. Do the other leg.

I have a third one that is done on the floor. You need to put one leg up against the wall, so it might not be so easy to do this one on the bed. Let me know if you want me to send this one too. Good luck.

Pam

Re: Re: Hands and arms falling asleep at night/piriformis

Pam, is there a way you can share what stretching exercises he gave you to do? Sometimes I think I would feel so much better if I could just stretch these muscles out. But I can't get on the floor (or let me rephrase that, I can get on it - but not up again which is why I don't take baths anymore *sad*) - I'm working on it though!

in PhxPam Horne <pmarshallnc (DOT) rr.com> wrote:

My rheumatologist gave me some stretching exercises to do for it. I admit I don't do them regularly. I keep wondering if accupuncture might help. Thanks for letting me know about the group. I'll check it out.

Pam