RemedySpot.com

Re:Hands and arms falling asleep at night

Rate this topic

Guest guest

yes! I sure do! I have to be careful how I position myself to keep arms and hands from being completely numb and/or tingling. I also have bad butt and hip pain if Iay on my side for very long. For me this butt/hip pain is at least partly caused by a spasming piriformis muscle (hip flexor) which is right around my back pocket. I try to lay down on a semi-hard surface, like the floor, and get a tennis ball under there to get to the sore spot. Or you could do the same up against a wall. I realize many of us cannot handle trigger point type therapy so this may not be good for just anyone. Also, the hip joint will hurt. Fun, eh? For a few reasons, I find I really need to sleep on my back with a pillow under my legs to prevent added pain.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

A couple years ago a rheumatologist diagnosed me with piriformis syndrome. Until now, I have never heard anyone else ever mention the piriformis muscle and the trouble it can cause. Apparently there is a surgery to fix what we have, but for the time being anyhow, I have declined to be operated on. To date I have had 22 major surgeries, most of them because of bad joints or muscles or ligaments or whatever.

Anyhow, I am plagued with the piriformis syndrome on my left side; recently when I sit or lay down for long periods of time, I'm getting pain down my right side, starting in my butt and traveling down my leg. I get so tired of having new things to complain about, I often don't even mention new stuff to my doctor until it becomes unbearable. Right now I, too, am sleeping on my back with a pillow under my knees and resting both arms on pillows. It's the pits.

Pam

yes! I sure do! I have to be careful how I position myself to keep arms and hands from being completely numb and/or tingling. I also have bad butt and hip pain if Iay on my side for very long. For me this butt/hip pain is at least partly caused by a spasming piriformis muscle (hip flexor) which is right around my back pocket. I try to lay down on a semi-hard surface, like the floor, and get a tennis ball under there to get to the sore spot. Or you could do the same up against a wall. I realize many of us cannot handle trigger point type therapy so this may not be good for just anyone. Also, the hip joint will hurt. Fun, eh? For a few reasons, I find I really need to sleep on my back with a pillow under my legs to prevent added pain.

The piriformis can be stretched by a massage therapist. The piriformis is one of the six deep lateral rotator muscles of the hip. You can do some self stretching by laying on your back, bending the knee on the bad side and putting that leg over your other leg. Also rolling a tennis ball in the area helps.

yes! I sure do! I have to be careful how I position myself to keep arms and hands from being completely numb and/or tingling. I also have bad butt and hip pain if Iay on my side for very long. For me this butt/hip pain is at least partly caused by a spasming piriformis muscle (hip flexor) which is right around my back pocket. I try to lay down on a semi-hard surface, like the floor, and get a tennis ball under there to get to the sore spot. Or you could do the same up against a wall. I realize many of us cannot handle trigger point type therapy so this may not be good for just anyone. Also, the hip joint will hurt. Fun, eh? For a few reasons, I find I really need to sleep on my back with a pillow under my legs to prevent added pain