RemedySpot.com

Re: Latest Brainpower News - Watch Out For Medications

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi All...this is an excerpt from a newsletter I've been subscribing to for several months. Thought I'd include it because it may be useful information for many of us, here. Carlene

Brainpower Newsletter

"Steve Gillman" <stevegillman@...>

Latest Brainpower News

Watch Out For Medications

The latest medications found to cause a mental decline are those that reduce stomach acid. A study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society followed those who took either prescription or over-the-counter acid blockers, such as Pepsid, Axid, Zantac or Tagamet, for more than two years. Users were more than twice as likely to suffer from cognitive difficulties, ranging from mild confusion to dementia. If you are a long-time user of these products, you may want to ask your doctor about alternatives.

http://www.increasebrainpower.com/have-new-ideas.html

Isn't this just wonderful. I take Nexium and have been on it for over 2 yrs now. It's in the same family as the ones listed. Guess I'll need to talk to my doc about this, but it really helps and if I don't take it I feel like I'm having a heart attack.

Thanks for the info. Hugs H

..com>Subject: Re: Latest Brainpower News - "Watch Out For Medications"dominie Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 11:04 PM

Hi All...this is an excerpt from a newsletter I've been subscribing to for several months. Thought I'd include it because it may be useful information for many of us, here. Carlene

Brainpower Newsletter

"Steve Gillman" <stevegillman@ webhikerllc. com>

Latest Brainpower News

Watch Out For Medications

The latest medications found to cause a mental decline are those that reduce stomach acid. A study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society followed those who took either prescription or over-the-counter acid blockers, such as Pepsid, Axid, Zantac or Tagamet, for more than two years. Users were more than twice as likely to suffer from cognitive difficulties, ranging from mild confusion to dementia. If you are a long-time user of these products, you may want to ask your doctor about alternatives.

http://www.increase brainpower. com/have- new-ideas. html

, ME TOO! I don't know how I can get along at all without the Nexium. I'm seeing the doc on Wednesday and will ask him about this.

Pam

Re: Latest Brainpower News - "Watch Out For Medications"dominie Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 11:04 PM

Brainpower Newsletter

Latest Brainpower News Watch Out For Medications The latest medications found to cause a mental decline are those that reduce stomach acid. A study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society followed those who took either prescription or over-the-counter acid blockers, such as Pepsid, Axid, Zantac or Tagamet, for more than two years. Users were more than twice as likely to suffer from cognitive difficulties, ranging from mild confusion to dementia. If you are a long-time user of these products, you may want to ask your doctor about alternatives. ************ ********* ********* ********* ******* http://www.increase brainpower. com/have- new-ideas. html ************ ********* ********* ********* *******

I had forgotten what it's like to feel anxious about medication use. Pam's words "I was not happy..." brought the memories back. I used to use Normoyson tabs/capsules to get to sleep. It's a long and involved story (leave that for another time) of sleep deprivation for most of my life. But made dramatically worse by CFS/Fibro. Also, very similar to Dominie's story! For about a decade I took Normoyson (benzodiaziapams) daily - up until 2004. I eventually found a way to break free of what had become Normoyson addiction. I used to be terrified in case my subscription would run out. Because then I wouldn't get to sleep at all. I had to overcome a lot of anxiety re: sleep issues.

What I'm saying is...I completely understand your anxiety about the potential side effects from these medications. And it must have worried some of you that you might have to switch medications etc. I'm sorry it's had this effect on some of you. I placed the article here...in the spirit of raising awareness.

I've included one Internet article on this issue (down below) to maybe clarify things a little. You need to know that I'm not on any medications so I'm out of the loop in that regard. But, I'm still one of you. Struggling daily with the horrible reality of the symptoms that these diseases cause. Kind thoughts Carlene

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/28663e.htm

Cognitive Impairment Link Found in Popular MedicationsINDIANAPOLIS, IN -- August 2, 2007 -- Long-term use of histamine2 receptor antagonists (H2A), one class of drugs that blocks stomach acid, may be associated with cognitive impairment in older African-American adults. According to an Indiana University School of Medicine and Regenstrief Institute study published in August issue of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, the risk for showing signs of cognitive impairment is 2.5 times greater for patients using these medications long-term.

These acid blockers, including ranitidine and famotidine, are among the most popular medications prescribed in the United States. More than 16 million prescriptions were dispensed in 2005 and several of these medications are also available over-the-counter. The drugs are sold under brand names such as Axid, Pepcid, Tagamet and Zantac, and are used to treat ulcers, acid reflux and other gastrointestinal disorders.

The 5-year observational study included 1,558 cognitively normal African-Americans aged 65 and older. After controlling for other possible factors, nearly 18% of H2A users studied exhibited signs of cognitive impairment.

"Taking these medications continuously appears to put older African-Americans at greater risk for the development of cognitive impairment," said Malaz Boustani, MD, MPH, lead author of the study. "We need to study this further to determine how acid blockers might be causing or creating this effect and if it occurs only in African-Americans."

This study is published in the August issue of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

Malaz Boustani, MD, MPH, is affiliated with the Regenstrief Institute, Inc. in Indianapolis, Indiana.

SOURCE: Blackwell Publishing

> > From: memommy1947 MEMOMMY1947@...> Subject: Re: Re: Latest Brainpower News - "Watch Out For Medications"> dominie > Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 2:46 AM> > > > > I have been on Aciphex for 6 years now. There is absolutely no way I will go off of it. The pain from the reflux is not worth it. > .> Sandie>

I hope Sandie's right as well. That's one medication that I trully depend on. To be honest, as much pain as I'm in I'd rather give up my pain meds than to give up the Nexium, otherwise I'd probably be in the hospital all the time. I've had no one to compare the meds to so thanks for confirming that the heart attack feelings are real. Hugs H

From: memommy1947 <MEMOMMY1947@ aol.com>Subject: Re: Re: Latest Brainpower News - "Watch Out For Medications"dominie@groups .comDate: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 2:46 AM

I have been on Aciphex for 6 years now. There is absolutely no way I will go off of it. The pain from the reflux is not worth it.

Sandie

Thanks Carlene for clarifying this. Hugs H

From: carlene.grimshaw <carlene.grimshaw@...>Subject: Re: Latest Brainpower News - "Watch Out For Medications"dominie Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 10:13 PM

I had forgotten what it's like to feel anxious about medication use. Pam's words "I was not happy..." brought the memories back. I used to use Normoyson tabs/capsules to get to sleep. It's a long and involved story (leave that for another time) of sleep deprivation for most of my life. But made dramatically worse by CFS/Fibro. Also, very similar to Dominie's story! For about a decade I took Normoyson (benzodiaziapams) daily - up until 2004. I eventually found a way to break free of what had become Normoyson addiction. I used to be terrified in case my subscription would run out. Because then I wouldn't get to sleep at all. I had to overcome a lot of anxiety re: sleep issues.

What I'm saying is...I completely understand your anxiety about the potential side effects from these medications. And it must have worried some of you that you might have to switch medications etc. I'm sorry it's had this effect on some of you. I placed the article here...in the spirit of raising awareness.

I've included one Internet article on this issue (down below) to maybe clarify things a little. You need to know that I'm not on any medications so I'm out of the loop in that regard. But, I'm still one of you. Struggling daily with the horrible reality of the symptoms that these diseases cause. Kind thoughts Carlene

http://www.pslgroup .com/dg/28663e. htm

Cognitive Impairment Link Found in Popular MedicationsINDIANAPOLIS, IN -- August 2, 2007 -- Long-term use of histamine2 receptor antagonists (H2A), one class of drugs that blocks stomach acid, may be associated with cognitive impairment in older African-American adults. According to an Indiana University School of Medicine and Regenstrief Institute study published in August issue of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, the risk for showing signs of cognitive impairment is 2.5 times greater for patients using these medications long-term.

These acid blockers, including ranitidine and famotidine, are among the most popular medications prescribed in the United States. More than 16 million prescriptions were dispensed in 2005 and several of these medications are also available over-the-counter. The drugs are sold under brand names such as Axid, Pepcid, Tagamet and Zantac, and are used to treat ulcers, acid reflux and other gastrointestinal disorders.

The 5-year observational study included 1,558 cognitively normal African-Americans aged 65 and older. After controlling for other possible factors, nearly 18% of H2A users studied exhibited signs of cognitive impairment.

"Taking these medications continuously appears to put older African-Americans at greater risk for the development of cognitive impairment," said Malaz Boustani, MD, MPH, lead author of the study. "We need to study this further to determine how acid blockers might be causing or creating this effect and if it occurs only in African-Americans. "

This study is published in the August issue of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

Malaz Boustani, MD, MPH, is affiliated with the Regenstrief Institute, Inc. in Indianapolis, Indiana.

SOURCE: Blackwell Publishing

> > From: memommy1947 MEMOMMY1947@ ...> Subject: Re: Re: Latest Brainpower News - "Watch Out For Medications"> dominie@groups .com> Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 2:46 AM> > > > > I have been on Aciphex for 6 years now. There is absolutely no way I will go off of it. The pain from the reflux is not worth it. > .> Sandie>

I am back from my doctor visit where I discussed the article someone (Carlene?) sent about acid inhibitors connection to dementia. My doc was flabbergasted to hear this news. He said that he reads everything very carefully and had heard nothing about this. He told me I should not worry ( ! ), and assured me that he would look into this. I just Googled this article and maybe I missed this the first time around, but this was a limited study and only elderly black people participated. Yet, we need to be careful and I'm glad my doc is looking into it; the last sentence in the article reads: “This is a very limited study in a specific population, but it picked up a signal that really needs to be confirmed...The picture is really not clear yet.”

So there you have it.

Pam

Re: Latest Brainpower News - "Watch Out For Medications"dominie@groups .comDate: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 11:04 PM

Brainpower Newsletter

Latest Brainpower News Watch Out For Medications The latest medications found to cause a mental decline are those that reduce stomach acid. A study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society followed those who took either prescription or over-the-counter acid blockers, such as Pepsid, Axid, Zantac or Tagamet, for more than two years. Users were more than twice as likely to suffer from cognitive difficulties, ranging from mild confusion to dementia. If you are a long-time user of these products, you may want to ask your doctor about alternatives. ************ ********* ********* ********* ******* http://www.increase brainpower. com/have- new-ideas. html ************ ********* ********* ********* *******

Oh My Ladies! I think I would Die if I didn't have something to take for my acid reflux! I can't even imagine how I would get through the day?! It would be terrible, that's for sure! Take care all! Pam.S

MANY Unique & Fun Fibromyalgia Awareness Items!

Check Out My Store At= http://www.zazzle.com/pammys*

New Items Created Daily & Always Great Sales! Lets Fight

Together! Thanks so much!! Pam