RemedySpot.com

DOM'S FMS/CFIDS NEWSLETTER (Nov. 27) Re: 9. COCONUT OIL From a reader--

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've tried to find anything on the Net relating to Coconut Oil being toxic in some way. Nothing as yet. There's a very good article on Dr Mercola's site, authored by Peat, Ph.D. You'll see the site further down, below. Other good sites, and excerpts from articles here on health benefits of Coconut Oil. Apparently, besides having Microbial benefits etc.,it's also weight-reducing. Mmmm....I'd like that! Carlene

http://www.coconutoil.com/tsunami_cocont_oil.htm

Anti Bacterial Properties of Coconut

The antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties of the medium chain fatty acids/triglycerides (MCTs) found in coconut oil have been known to researchers since the 1960s. Research has shown that microorganisms that are inactivated include bacteria, yeast, fungi, and enveloped viruses. Much of this research is highlighted in the writings of Dr. Enig Ph.D.

Instead of relying on man-made pharmaceuticals for everything, many are now turning to natural methods to boost the body's immune system and resist harmful viruses and micro-organisms naturally. Coconut oil is truly one of nature's best "germ fighters."

Consider some of the testimonies from those in the US who are now beginning to use coconut oil:

I too have had major improvement with cold and sinus symptoms. I used to chronically get bronchitis at least 3 times a year. Already this year, I have had 2 bouts of cold symptoms, and increased the amount [of Virgin Coconut Oil] to nearly 6 tbls a day thus averting the yucky sickies. I must say that I am truly impressed with this stuff. I have also seen major improvement my complexion, i.e... blackheads and breakouts. I use it directly on my face twice a day and my skin keeps looking better and better. Cheers to Virgin Coconut Oil!!! Laurie

I have hepatitis C. I was informed some time ago that the coconut oil can be a healing agent for this potentially fatal disease. I had undergone the medical treatment with interferon with no success. I was only real sick form the interfuron treatment, lost my hair, and became severely anemic. That was about 6 years ago. In the last 4 years I began nutritional regiments noted to help/heal hepatitis c. That includes flax seed oil, milk thistle, multi vitamins, and in the last 2 years- coconut oil. My viral load was initially at 5 million- high! In the last 3 years it has gone from that to 1/20th of a million- low! My Dr. is amazed. I feel better, more energy. And most importantly I now have the belief I can watch my grand-children grow up. I believe that the coconut oil was a major ingredient that boosted this healing. It is also yummy! Gay

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coconut Oil

By Ray Peat

This is a slightly modified version of Ray Peat's article which can be found at http://www.efn.org/~raypeat/

I have already discussed the many toxic effects of the unsaturated oils, and I have frequently mentioned that coconut oil doesn't have those toxic effects, though it does contain a small amount of the unsaturated oils.

Peat, Ph.D.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Mercola's Comments:

I have great respect for Dr. Peat's work. He is the main scientist that influenced Dr. Lee with his work on progesterone. Dr. Peat does a terrific job of describing some of the many reasons why you should strongly consider replacing other oils you use with coconut oil. He is a biochemist, however, so his writing can be a bit difficult to understand at times.

Raw coconut is outstanding, and I also use shredded coconut in my vegetable juice pulp. These are other great ways to obtain the health benefits of coconut.

You should definitely consider switching to coconut oil exclusively for all your sautéing and cooking needs. It does not form dangerous trans fatty acids that even olive oil does, and it is far healthier than the other vegetable oils out there.

[Also a very good site...below]

http://www.solutions-4-you.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom & ID=26