RemedySpot.com

Re: Exercise with out flares

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My Rheumo said the same thing to me. H

From: kmtrs1@... <kmtrs1@...>Subject: Re: Exercise with out flaresdominie Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 5:14 PM

My neuro says the best exercise for FMS and neuropathy patients is water exercise. She also says that if you start missing days, the pain will get worse. Sigh. S. Exercise with out flares

Gt from FMA newsleterwhat do you all do for exercise?HeidiExercise Benefits--Without FlaresFriday, November 21, 2008 By: beth Deffner FMOnline vol. 8, no. 11From the rush of endorphins to the strengthening of muscles, exercise is an excellent way for people with fibromyalgia to help themselves feel better—and study after study has proven exactly that. But knowing exercise can help, and actually selecting a type of exercise that won't put you in a flare, are two different things! Recently we asked people with FM to let us know what types of exercise have proven beneficial to them. Here we present a sampling of the responses in hopes that our readers will get some new ideas—and will be inspired to exercise them! Choose=2 0Your EnvironmentWalking is an excellent exercise for people with FM—but that doesn't mean it's easy. Meg Fowler found that walking

on the street or sidewalk caused her extreme pain, so she found a different place to walk. Her husband mowed a perimeter around their two acres, and she walks on the dirt instead. "It's so much easier on the legs and back," she says. Walking outdoors is a great way to stay interested in your exercise routine (there's plenty to look at as you stroll through the neighborhood! ), and also a great way to get your daily dose of vitamin D from sunlight. But what if the weather's inclement? Try mall-walking or working out on a treadmill instead. Laeger-Hagemeister decided to upgrade her walking routine to include more stretching. Her husband removed the tips from a pair of cross-country skis and added rubber to the bottoms of the skis so she could go "Nordic" walking. Join the CrowdJoining a gym can be a good way to make new friends and exercise buddies. Many women with

fibromyalgia find the exercise and the support they need at Curves, an all-women exercise club that offers circuit training. Members work out for 30 seconds on a machine, then have 30 seconds on a "recovery station" where they can walk or jog in place, and then move on to the next machine. The entire routine concludes with a few minutes of stretching. "The Curves machines are all set the same, but you can use them according to your ability each time," says Laurie Loving. "Sometimes I just move through range-of-motion without putting much effort into pulling or pushing. This is a nice stretch and helps keep every joint flexible. When I'm feeling good, I put careful `umph' behind each move to improve muscle strength and toning.""The circuit at Curves lets you work at your own pace and works most all of the muscle groups without overworking them," adds Vicki Praszek. "It brings back your

energy levels. Also it is very affordable."Get Some EquipmentYou don't need to be a Pilates instructor to get good use out of an exercise ball. Kathy uses hers to do the stretches that help her feel better. "It is much easier to stretch on it without having to get up and down off the floor, which is quite difficult most days," she says. A good ball routine can also help you develop better posture, in turn easing back, neck, and shoulder fatigue and pain. Helen Papasso uses her Wii gaming system to work out. The Wii Fit game offers strength training, balance, aerobics, and yoga, and even has a score chart so you can see your progress. "I really have felt so much better after doing this game, and have been sleeping better. My flexibilty has improved, and I lost a few pounds to boot," she says. "For people with FM, I=2 0feel this game is for us." Other people with FM make use

of a powerplate or similar machine. Every other day, Josie Du Toit uses a vibro tornado exercise machine that moves up and down as well as from left to right, while Deborah Jordan uses a Tony Little's Gazelle, an elliptical machine, for a total body workout. Find a Fibro-Friendly SourceYou can purchase exercise videos designed especially for people with fibromyalgia from the Oregon Fibromyalgia Foundation. Other videos, like "Yoga for Healing by Bates," "Sit and Be Fit," and "Seated Yoga" may also provide you with the gentle guidance you need to establish a workout routine at home. Be GentleCertain gentle exercises, such as chi gong, tai chi, Pilates, and yoga can be very beneficial for people with fibromyalgia. In addition to stretching the muscles and opening up the joints, they provide a relaxation effect that is often needed for people with FM. Be aware that there are

different kinds of yoga you can practice. Rosenbach practices Bikram yoga (the recommended practice room temperature is minimum 105 degrees Faehrenheit) . "I have found that I can work as hard as I want and actually feel better the next day," she says. "I think the heat and humidity allow the muscles to stretch without the aching and pain…. I also know I sweat out a lot of toxins, because my yoga clothes and towels smell like ammonia." Water exercise is another exellent way for people with FM to ease into an exercise routine. Kathi High swims laps and does water aerobics in a warm-water pool at her local YMCA. "The stretching and over all movement feels great," she says. "The water feels good to the joints and muscles." (For more about water exercise, be sure to check out "Warm Water Exercise" and "Water Exercise and Fibromyalgia. ") "I find any exercise done in the water much more

beneficial, with longer positive effects, than floor exercises," adds Judith Moroff. "The stretching of all your limbs in the water for an hour works, and even on those days when you are in a lot of pain … it helps."

Traveling over the river or through the woods this holiday season? Get the MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices More!