RemedySpot.com

Re: [HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin D

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am in the "low normal range," and my doc told me to increase intake. They have rather recently decided that the old range for normal was too low and have upped their "normal range."

S.

[HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin D

Just want to

share...I have been

tested to see if I

had a vitamin D

deficiency. It came

back , I am very!!

low. I live in the

North , have been

sick all summer , so

not getting sunshine

and winter I don't

get out much. It

doesn't surprise me ,

but makes me angry

at the doc's that

never test for these

kinds of things. I

am depressed. a

symptom of lack of

Vit. D. Some of you

might want to get

tested too. Is a

simple blood test.

Also want to ask, if

any have found they

are low in this

vitamin??

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

I live in SE FL and me, my fiance' and two children were all low in Vitamin D with mine being extremely low. The doctor put us all on 5,000 of D daily and after some months mine is finally back to normal and I'm back down to my 1,000 per day. So in answer to your question, yes I've been low and it is being monitored. Since my entire family was deficiant I can't necessarily blame it on the FMS. H

From: dixie1340 <missmagnolia2007@...>Subject: [HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin DHeidiLiane Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 8:27 AM

Just want to share...I have been tested to see if I had a vitamin D deficiency. It came back , I am very!! low. I live in the North , have been sick all summer , so not getting sunshine and winter I don't get out much. It doesn't surprise me , but makes me angry at the doc's that never test for these kinds of things. I am depressed. a symptom of lack of Vit. D. Some of you might want to get tested too. Is a simple blood test. Also want to ask, if any have found they are low in this vitamin??

What the 'normal range' for vitamin D is will change depending on what dr you talk to. The fibro and fatigue center said my vitamin D was perfect, on the high side, it was 30 (of whatever units they use, I can check, but dont recal at the moment). The same test was done perhaps 3 weeks prior by a very nice rhumatologist in Hollandale beach, she said I was horribly deficient and wanted me to take a huge dose of 50,00IU per week. And of course doing my own research I came across the article I shared earlier saying that there is research that shows evidence that the amount of vitamin D in our system has to do with the natural function of our immune system and it could be best to not mess with it.

I am not a doctor, but I do have a brain.. still.. and honestly believe that we/they/drs/medicine do not yet know enough about it to conclusively say much about anything at all including this issue.

Seeing as you live in So Fla I would imagine that you are out in the sun enough. If you think it helps you then great. Personally I opted not to take the huge dose.

I dont mean to sound judgemental, I just dont think that more is always better.

From: H. <bookie0415@...>HeidiLiane Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:16:37 AMSubject: Re: [HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin D

I live in SE FL and me, my fiance' and two children were all low in Vitamin D with mine being extremely low. The doctor put us all on 5,000 of D daily and after some months mine is finally back to normal and I'm back down to my 1,000 per day. So in answer to your question, yes I've been low and it is being monitored. Since my entire family was deficiant I can't necessarily blame it on the FMS. H

From: dixie1340 <missmagnolia2007@ webtv.net>Subject: [HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin DHeidiLiane@gro ups.comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 8:27 AM

Just want to share...I have been tested to see if I had a vitamin D deficiency. It came back , I am very!! low. I live in the North , have been sick all summer , so not getting sunshine and winter I don't get out much. It doesn't surprise me , but makes me angry at the doc's that never test for these kinds of things. I am depressed. a symptom of lack of Vit. D. Some of you might want to get tested too. Is a simple blood test. Also want to ask, if any have found they are low in this vitamin??

Unfortunately I am not out in the sun at all! I'm always in such pain that I'm in the house and don't really do outside, so the supplements are important to me. I wish I was outside much more. Thanks H

From: dixie1340 <missmagnolia2007@ webtv.net>Subject: [HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin DHeidiLiane@gro ups.comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 8:27 AM

The word is that if your genes are normal, 1000 mg a day is ok.

But you may have a gene that prevents you from using vit. D.

The only way to find that out, so you can take more, is by having you genes tested.You can read about it here:

Click on Free Reports to see all they test for.

http://www.mygenewize.com/?ID=egunter

I am getting mine tested now, cause I have osteoporosis.

ellie

HeidiLiane

Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:33 PM

Subject: Re: [HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin D

What the 'normal range' for vitamin D is will change depending on what dr you talk to. The fibro and fatigue center said my vitamin D was perfect, on the high side, it was 30 (of whatever units they use, I can check, but dont recal at the moment). The same test was done perhaps 3 weeks prior by a very nice rhumatologist in Hollandale beach, she said I was horribly deficient and wanted me to take a huge dose of 50,00IU per week. And of course doing my own research I came across the article I shared earlier saying that there is research that shows evidence that the amount of vitamin D in our system has to do with the natural function of our immune system and it could be best to not mess with it.

I am not a doctor, but I do have a brain.. still.. and honestly believe that we/they/drs/medicine do not yet know enough about it to conclusively say much about anything at all including this issue.

Seeing as you live in So Fla I would imagine that you are out in the sun enough. If you think it helps you then great. Personally I opted not to take the huge dose.

I dont mean to sound judgemental, I just dont think that more is always better.

From: H. <bookie0415 >HeidiLiane Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:16:37 AMSubject: Re: [HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin D

Wow! Certainly food for thought, particularly since some docs are asking their patients to take literally thousands of IUs per day!

S.

[HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin D

Just want to

share...I have been

tested to see if I

had a vitamin D

deficiency. It came

back , I am very!!

low. I live in the

North , have been

sick all summer , so

not getting sunshine

and=2

0winter I don't

get out much.. It

doesn't surprise me ,

but makes me angry

at the doc's that

never test for these

kinds of things. I

am depressed. a

symptom of lack of

Vit. D. Some of you

might want to get

tested too. Is a

simple blood test.

Also want to ask, if

any have found they

are low in this

vitamin??

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations – including songs for the holidays – FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

We are meant to get our vitamin D from the sun and food. Being outside in the sun is good for so many things, not just vitamin D. I have a lovely hammock and even on the worst days I can go lie in it in the sun. If it is too hot I can lie in the shade and nap. Staying in all the time is not good for our health or for depression.

This summer since we are going to move, instead of inground pool we got one of those blowup above ground ones. Such bliss. I floated and snoozed and felt my body relax in the sun. I am much better outside than in. These winters in Maine are killers. I am even better for the time that I spend outside in the sun in winter.

If you are lucky enough to live in a warm place year round I envy you. Such wonderful therapy outside your door.

Sue

I too am very low in Vitamin D, they keep giving me 125,000 mg once a week for a month, then test, then take me off it. And then it drops and they do the test again, its low and then we do the whole thing again. It seems that 1000 per day does nothing to help.

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:27 AM, dixie1340 <missmagnolia2007@...> wrote:

Just want to

share...I have been

tested to see if I

had a vitamin D

deficiency. It came

back , I am very!!

low. I live in the

North , have been

sick all summer , so

not getting sunshine

and winter I don't

get out much. It

doesn't surprise me ,

but makes me angry

at the doc's that

never test for these

kinds of things. I

am depressed. a

symptom of lack of

Vit. D. Some of you

might want to get

tested too. Is a

simple blood test.

Also want to ask, if

any have found they

are low in this

vitamin??

-- Remember: A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference --Eeyore from " Winnie-The-Pooh. "

If you are in the sun often, please protect your skin. I lived in South Florida (Delray Beach) for 20 years and was out in the sun as often as I could be, which was often. Now--a little more than 20 years after leaving Florida--I have just been diagnosed with my third case of skin cancer. Honestly, even knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would go back and give up all that lovely time spent in the South Florida sun. But I sure would protect myself now, which I did not do then. Not to mention what sun damage eventually does to your skin--I have so many age spots I could be 101 dalmations.

So I know how difficult it is to ignore the call of the sun. Just be careful so you don't regret it later.

Pam H

[HeidiLiane] Lack of Vitamin DHeidiLiane@gro ups.comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 8:27 AM