RemedySpot.com

Re: Chiropractic Care and fibromyalgia

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I went to straight chiropractor for 3 treatments 3 days in a row for severe muscle spasm in my back in the early 90's. Yes she did get me back on my feet and back to work. Now when I go to one, I will only go to one that uses the activator or a similar process, no more jerk and snap. In fact that is the only type my rhuemy will recommend for me to see. They do the manipulation a lot of the time my releiving the spasm in the muscle with the instrument, thus by doing so helps to realign the spine and other joints. In fact the arthritis foundation had a article in their monthly snail mail newsletter several years ago, and that is the type reccommended for FMS. Today, when I feel the need to use pain medication, I will go to the Chiro first before popping a pill. Social Security Administration, recognizes Chiropractic care and massage therapy as pain management procedures and they carry as much weight in the decision making for disability. Sandie -- Chiropractic Care and fibromyalgia I have never used a Chiropractor except once n ad eneded up hurting for 2 weeks worse than when i wne t in. He kept wanting me to come back ever 2 weeks for he could help find a way toe ase my muscle and bone pain. he used hot rocks and the heavy heating pads back in the late 1990's. heidi Chiropractic Care and Fibromyalgia Though often termed an alternative treatment, chiropractic care is now becoming more accepted by the mainstream medical community. Almost 20% of American men and women have used the services of a chiropractor at some point in their lives. 80% of those who use chiropractors report significant pain relief, better functioning, and an increased sense of well being. But what theories are chiropractic care based on and what exactly does a chiropractor do? Chiropractic care is based on the theory that illness and pain are caused by misalignments in your skeletal structure. It sees the body as a connected system, which relies on your bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, and tendons to keep it functioning efficiently. When your skeletal structure is sound, your body should feel healthy and happy. But if parts of your skeleton are slightly off balance, it could cause serious problems, like chronic pain. Chiropractors aim to solve pain and related symptoms by correcting the imbalances in your skeletal structure. Through a series of techniques, including stretches, adjustments, and manipulations, your chiropractor will restore your skeletal balance, thereby eliminating any pain symptoms. Fibromyalgia (FM) patients have been seeking chiropractic care increasingly often. Because FM causes numerous tender points all over the body, many FM patients suffer from back pain, neck pain, and leg cramps. In an attempt to solve these problems, many sufferers have looked to chiropractors. Because simple adjustments to the neck and spine can restore the carriage of the whole body, a lot of FM sufferers find that alignments of the spine can significantly reduce pain all over their bodies. How Effective is Chiropractic Care in Fibromyalgia Patients? Numerous studies have been conducted analyzing the benefits of chiropractic care in FM patients. A 1985 study asked 81 FM patients to indicate drug or alternative treatments that best relieved their pain. Chiropractic care treatment scored surprisingly high in this study. Another study examined the effectiveness of spinal manipulation in relieving FM symptoms. After just 15 treatments, FM patients suffered from less pain and fatigue, and actually enjoyed better sleep quality. Types of Chiropractors Though chiropractors often use many different techniques in their treatment programs, most fall into one of two main categories: "Straight" Chiropractors Straight chiropractors are considered purists, as they adhere more strictly to the original teachings of chiropractic medicine. These practitioners tend to focus on performing manipulations to restore body function and relieve pain. "Mixers" Mixers are chiropractors who combine techniques of manipulation and adjustment with other holistic techniques, including diet, exercise, and massage. The majority of chiropractors are mixers. Depending upon the type of chiropractor you see, you will likely undergo a variety of different treatment techniques. The most popular chiropractic techniques is manipulation. In order to adjust the spine and neck, a technique called manipulation is performed. Manipulation usually consists of a short, quick thrust to one of the vertebra in your spine, achieved through twisting, turning, or hand pressure. This causes the vertebra to shift back into its proper place. When it is performed, you may hear a cracking or popping noise. This might sound scary, but it is actually a healthy release of built up oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide within the joint. As these gases are released, you should notice immediate relief, though sometimes manipulations can cause slight discomfort. Manipulations can provide numerous benefits including: better range of motion in your joints increased blood flow (which helps to release toxins and promote muscle healing) increased production of endorphins, your body's natural painkillers better pain tolerance Side Effects of Chiropractic Care Chiropractors often come under fire from some medical doctors because of the possible dangers of chiropractic care. On rare occasions, manipulations have been known to cause internal bleeding and blood clots. Manipulations are also associated with increased risk of bone fractures in those with degenerative diseases like osteoporosis. More worryingly, manipulations of the neck and spine have been associated with an increased risk of heart attack and stroke. It is recommended that you speak with a health care professional before engaging in any form of chiropractic therapy. Choosing A Chiropractor It can be very difficult to find a chiropractor that is right for you, especially if you are suffering from FM. Here are some tips to keep in mind before settling on a chiropractor: Be sure to find a chiropractor that is qualified. Chiropractors must be licensed by the state in which they practice. They should also have passed National Board exams Parts 1, 2, and 3. Ask friends, family members, and coworkers for recommendations. Ask for references. Do a phone interview before making an appointment. Be sure to ask about the techniques that are performed and the theories that underlie them. Go to the office and check it out. It should be clean, welcoming, and professional. Avoid chiropractors that seem dogmatic about one particular school of thought. Avoid any chiropractor who promises to "cure" chronic ailments like FM, diabetes, and arthritis. ------------------------------------