RemedySpot.com

Re: Vitamin A, Vitamin D, cod liver oil/Fish Oil

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I take Carlson's Fish Oil.Anything bad about that?AliOn Dec 23, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Lynn McGaha wrote:> Lynn McGaha wrote: "I used to use> Carlson's CLO until I found out it had hazelnut oil and synthetic vitamins> in it.">> Holy smokes Lynn! I use Carlson's CLO and liquid fish oil products.> Where did you hear that? Are their foreign oils in their fish oil as> well? And here I am paying top dollar for this stuff.....>> NeilI have the original posts about this on my old computer and haven't transferred the info over. But if you go to www.onibasu.com (you'll need to register first) and click to search on all the groups listed, and search on: Carlson's cod liver oil, you'll find a lot of posts about this subject. In 2005 the Weston A. Price Foundation removed Carlson's from their list of recommended cod liver oil manufacturers.This is a summary of the post that started all the discussion:"A post from October 2004 was the first indication that there was morethan pollutants like mercury to worry about in cod liver oils.Petteri from Finland reported that the product information sheetfiled with a [North European] government agency found soy product, synthetic vitaminsand other additives in Carlson's cod liver oil.Natural tocopherols (soy oil concentrate 70%), synthetic dl-alphatocopherol-acetate, retinylpalmitate-concentrate (incl.synthetic retinylpalmitate and peanut oil), cholecalciferolconcentrate (incl. synthetic cholecalciferol and vegetable oil).The lemon flavor version includes also: saccharinsolution (incl.ethanol), lemon flavor.This vitamin E from soy is used to lengthen the shelf life of codliver oil."I think I erred in stating that there was hazelnut oil in Carlson's. Hazelnut oil has been found in virgin olive oil, and that's where that idea came from in my mind. But there definitely is an issue about whether Carlson's has synthetic Vit A and Vit D and soy based Vit E (both GMO and non-GMO) in it. Synthetics are an issue because they are toxic at much lower levels than naturally occuring Vit A and Vit D. To really do justice to this issue, you have to read the series of discussions on Onibasu.Lynn

Ali,

According to the evaluation of the Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF), there are better brands out there (Dr. Ron's, Garden of Life, & Green Pastures are what I remember, but you can look on the WAPF website to get the recommended brands and the rationale for using these brands). According to a document that Carlson's was required to file with a North European government agency, the content of which is in my email below, synthetic forms of Vitamin A and Vitamin D were found in their CLO, as well as Vitamin E in a base of GMO and non-GMO soybean oil. Synthetic forms of Vit A and Vit D are inferior to natural forms and are toxic at much lower levels.

If you follow the discussion on Onibasu.com about Carlson's CLO that I referenced yesterday, someone posted Carlson's reply to their questions about this. And then someone posted why Carlson's answer doesn't jibe with all the facts. And Masterjohn (a WAPF board member and author) said he talked with Jordan Rubin of Garden of Life, who said he tested Carlson's CLO and found their Vit A to be about 25% less than stated.

Part of the problem may be that there are natural variations in levels of natural vitamins in CLO, and Carlson's may be supplementing with synthetics to maintain consistent levels. Perhaps part of the problem is in the manufacturing process used. The recommended brands are manufactured differently than Carlson's, in that they extract the vitamins before the oil undergoes processing, and then the vitamins are added back in at the end. From what I've read, Carlson's doesn't extract the oils first.

To anyone taking cod liver oil, please note that Dr. Weston A. Price found much better results when butter oil was taken with cod liver oil. I get my butter oil from www.greenpasture.org. To find the rationale, either read Price's book "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" (someone once posted that it is also available for free on the internet, but I don't know where) or search for butter oil at the WAPF website (www.westonaprice.org)

I did find a website that posted Sally Fallons' defense of CLO entitled "Vitamin A - It's Not the Monster In the Bottle", which I posted yesterday. It's the 12/4/08 entry at www.greenpasture.org/blog/6.

Lynn

I take Carlson's Fish Oil.

Anything bad about that?

Ali

On Dec 23, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Lynn McGaha wrote:

> Lynn McGaha wrote: "I used to use> Carlson's CLO until I found out it had hazelnut oil and synthetic vitamins> in it.">> Holy smokes Lynn! I use Carlson's CLO and liquid fish oil products.> Where did you hear that? Are their foreign oils in their fish oil as> well? And here I am paying top dollar for this stuff.....>> NeilI have the original posts about this on my old computer and haven't transferred the info over. But if you go to www.onibasu.com (you'll need to register first) and click to search on all the groups listed, and search on: Carlson's cod liver oil, you'll find a lot of posts about this subject. In 2005 the Weston A. Price Foundation removed Carlson's from their list of recommended cod liver oil manufacturers.This is a summary of the post that started all the discussion:"A post from October 2004 was the first indication that there was morethan pollutants like mercury to worry about in cod liver oils.Petteri from Finland reported that the product information sheetfiled with a [North European] government agency found soy product, synthetic vitaminsand other additives in Carlson's cod liver oil.Natural tocopherols (soy oil concentrate 70%), synthetic dl-alphatocopherol-acetate, retinylpalmitate-concentrate (incl.synthetic retinylpalmitate and peanut oil), cholecalciferolconcentrate (incl. synthetic cholecalciferol and vegetable oil).The lemon flavor version includes also: saccharinsolution (incl.ethanol), lemon flavor.This vitamin E from soy is used to lengthen the shelf life of codliver oil."I think I erred in stating that there was hazelnut oil in Carlson's. Hazelnut oil has been found in virgin olive oil, and that's where that idea came from in my mind. But there definitely is an issue about whether Carlson's has synthetic Vit A and Vit D and soy based Vit E (both GMO and non-GMO) in it. Synthetics are an issue because they are toxic at much lower levels than naturally occuring Vit A and Vit D. To really do justice to this issue, you have to read the series of discussions on Onibasu.Lynn

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.0/1863 - Release Date: 12/24/2008 11:49 AM