RemedySpot.com

Celiac disease

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Nutrition for Celiacs. I have a lot of experience with celiacs- husband, sons, family,me... I learned that absorption of iron is a major problem in celiacs. The intestines are damaged and the body cant absorb it. Also, if a person takes an acid blocker, like Nexium or any of its kin, the Hydrochloric Acid (HCL) production is stopped in the stomach and the acid therefore cant do its work- cleaving or separating the iron from the food source. The Nexium also prevents the production of intrinsic factor which is needed also for absorption of B 12. So B 12 deficiency is also quite high in celiacs. If the HCL is low or absent, bacteria, like H. pylori which "causes" ulcers, can grow in the stomach. Therefore taking Betaine with digestive enzymes, can be extremely helpful. To get the right dosage,

keep slowly loading until you get a burning sensation, then back off, like loading Vitamin C. To get a good easy read on this I recommend Varnas, DC, book, Practical Magic, which is extremely inexpensive and so great. Calcium is also another big problem and celiacs tend to have restless legs, leg spasms, etc but calcium needs to be taken with Vitamin D, magnesium, Vitamin K2, boron, not just alone as it is not absorbed well but recirculated.

Sylvia