RemedySpot.com

Re: school districts - Parma & Brecksville

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

I lurk and have never posted. We have had a daughter that is rated moderate to sever in two school systems. I find that it is not only the system but the teacher.

When we were in Parma we had a wonderful experience with First Step Preschool. Our Kindergarden teacher was just out of college and knew nothing. The school was overcrowded and my daughter (who is also visually impaired) was placed in a classroom that use to be a large utility room without natural light. The following year, her 1st grade teacher that had a lot of experience with autism and really got her IEP moving. Unfortunately, there was one teacher and 2 aids for 8 kids. There was no money for additional staff. She did not get all of her therapies because there were not funds and the system was overcrowded. Everything was a fight for services.

We moved to Brecksville (where we are now) and she has always been in a classroom with 1 teacher and 1 aid per child. Her first 3 years was difficult because the teachers were not experienced with Autism. They did want to learn and attended conferences but it wasn't the same as hands on experience. At times I felt their frustration. This year she is in 4th grade and it has been wonderful. She has a teacher with a GREAT DEAL of experience and she is thriving. Her aid also seems well guided or experienced. She has met almost all of her IEP goals before Christmas.

Debbie

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 7:33 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] school districts

Hi ,

Do not move to Strongsville

Kathy

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:07:15 -0500, DillardRN wrote

> Hello Everyone,

>

> I introduced myself to the list last week. My children will be moving to Ohio in the near future. I am presently in Ohio to learn about services and such before bringing them here.

>

> Can anyone comment on their school district and tell me the pros and/or cons about their special education department and meeting the needs of a child with an autism diagnosis. Perhaps share some experiences you may have had with them.

>

> I have to decide on a school district, and I am up for moving to any, does not have to be a certian location. I just want to find one that will meet the needs of my children, as I have 3 children (ages 3-6) on the spectrum. I know the best place to ask is other parents. Thank you all so much!!

>

>

>

Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

>

--

WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com)

Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

Hi Debbie,

We are moving to the Broadview/Brecksville district in June. Would it be okay to email you directly to ask you some questions? We're moving in from out of state and I'm very nervous about the change. Thought maybe talking to another Mom who's in the same district would help.

Thanks.

Gloria

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:50 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] school districts - Parma & Brecksville

Hi,

I lurk and have never posted. We have had a daughter that is rated moderate to sever in two school systems. I find that it is not only the system but the teacher.

When we were in Parma we had a wonderful experience with First Step Preschool. Our Kindergarden teacher was just out of college and knew nothing. The school was overcrowded and my daughter (who is also visually impaired) was placed in a classroom that use to be a large utility room without natural light. The following year, her 1st grade teacher that had a lot of experience with autism and really got her IEP moving. Unfortunately, there was one teacher and 2 aids for 8 kids. There was no money for additional staff. She did not get all of her therapies because there were not funds and the system was overcrowded. Everything was a fight for services.

We moved to Brecksville (where we are now) and she has always been in a classroom with 1 teacher and 1 aid per child. Her first 3 years was difficult because the teachers were not experienced with Autism. They did want to learn and attended conferences but it wasn't the same as hands on experience. At times I felt their frustration. This year she is in 4th grade and it has been wonderful. She has a teacher with a GREAT DEAL of experience and she is thriving. Her aid also seems well guided or experienced. She has met almost all of her IEP goals before Christmas.

Debbie

-----Original Message-----From: Klance2996wowwayTo: Sent: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 7:33 AMSubject: Re: [ ] school districts

Hi ,

Do not move to Strongsville

Kathy

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:07:15 -0500, DillardRN wrote > Hello Everyone, > > I introduced myself to the list last week. My children will be moving to Ohio in the near future. I am presently in Ohio to learn about services and such before bringing them here. > > Can anyone comment on their school district and tell me the pros and/or cons about their special education department and meeting the needs of a child with an autism diagnosis. Perhaps share some experiences you may have had with them. > > I have to decide on a school district, and I am up for moving to any, does not have to be a certian location. I just want to find one that will meet the needs of my children, as I have 3 children (ages 3-6) on the spectrum. I know the best place to ask is other parents. Thank you all so much!! > > >

Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more. > -- WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com)

I am in the Brecksville school system (for many reasons). My son is in First Grade at Chippewa Elementary. He has had an IEP (Autistic Spectrum) & Speech services since entering preschool. Stepping Stone Preschool was Wonderful for Us. ( From the Director, All Teachers, Aides, Staff period!) Then we entered 1/2 day Kindergarten w/an aide. This is my first born & first to enter the school system. I will say that we have had good communication w/the teachers & aide. My husband & I have found this year (1st grade w/aide) that it has taken MUCH More of US advocating for our son than we had hoped, however, they are stilling working to meet the needs of the IEP. I pray that w/all the Autistic children now in our community this district will rise to the challenge of meeting All needs of our families. So for what it is worth..I am glad to be in this community, I also know that Middleburg HTs has an excellent rep.

& the MiddleBurg Early Education Center is A TERRIFIC school (were my son spent the last 2 summers, since he was not yet eligble for an ESY.) MrsDebMay@... wrote: Hi, I lurk and have never posted. We have had a daughter that is rated moderate to sever in two school systems. I find that it is not only the system but the teacher. When we were in Parma we had

a wonderful experience with First Step Preschool. Our Kindergarden teacher was just out of college and knew nothing. The school was overcrowded and my daughter (who is also visually impaired) was placed in a classroom that use to be a large utility room without natural light. The following year, her 1st grade teacher that had a lot of experience with autism and really got her IEP moving. Unfortunately, there was one teacher and 2 aids for 8 kids. There was no money for additional staff. She did not get all of her therapies because there were not funds and the system was overcrowded. Everything was a fight for services. We moved to Brecksville (where we are now) and she has always been in a classroom with 1 teacher and 1 aid per child. Her first 3 years was difficult because the teachers were not experienced with Autism. They did want to learn and

attended conferences but it wasn't the same as hands on experience. At times I felt their frustration. This year she is in 4th grade and it has been wonderful. She has a teacher with a GREAT DEAL of experience and she is thriving. Her aid also seems well guided or experienced. She has met almost all of her IEP goals before Christmas. Debbie -----Original Message-----From: Klance2996wowwayTo: Sent: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 7:33 AMSubject: Re: [ ] school districts Hi , Do not move to Strongsville Kathy On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:07:15 -0500, DillardRN wrote > Hello Everyone, > > I introduced myself to the list last week. My children will be moving to Ohio in the near future. I am presently in Ohio to learn about services and such before bringing them here. > > Can anyone comment on their school district and tell me the pros and/or cons about their special education department and meeting the needs of a child with an autism diagnosis. Perhaps share some experiences you may have had with them. > > I have to decide on a school district, and I am up for moving to any, does not have to be a certian location. I just want to find one that will meet the needs of my children, as I have 3 children (ages 3-6) on the spectrum. I know the best place to ask is other parents. Thank you all so much!! >

> > Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more. > -- WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com) Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions

of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

Access over 1 million songs - Music Unlimited.

Second the vote for Middleburg Early Education Center...our daughter

has been there and has been utilizing the autism scholarship and we

couldn't be happier. They have done a phenomenal job. The scholarship

funds our ABA and covers the schooling. Feel free to email me offlist

if you want more info. FYI if you are going to be starting up an ABA

program as well, make sure you speak with several parents in the area

about consultants. There are good ones and not so good ones up here.

I've heard great things about Middleburg Early Ed. Ctr., but I do have a question...I was told they only take kids until they turn 6. Where do you go from there? Has anyone had any luck finding a good place the Autism Scholarship will cover that takes older kids -- kids 6 and over?

Thanks,

--Suzanne

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 3:12 AM

Subject: [ ] Re: school districts - Parma & Brecksville

Second the vote for Middleburg Early Education Center...our daughter

has been there and has been utilizing the autism scholarship and we

couldn't be happier. They have done a phenomenal job. The scholarship

funds our ABA and covers the schooling. Feel free to email me offlist

if you want more info. FYI if you are going to be starting up an ABA

program as well, make sure you speak with several parents in the area

about consultants. There are good ones and not so good ones up here.

Can someone help me understand ABA please, pcrawfo1 <PCrawfo1@...> wrote: Second the vote for Middleburg Early Education Center...our daughter has been there and has been utilizing the autism scholarship and we couldn't be happier. They have done a phenomenal job. The scholarship funds our ABA and covers the schooling. Feel free to email me offlist if you want more info. FYI if you are going to be starting up an ABA program as well, make sure you speak with several parents in the area about

consultants. There are good ones and not so good ones up here.

It's here! Your new message!Get

new email alerts with the free Toolbar.