RemedySpot.com

When We Last Left the Saga....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

....we were within a hair of our lives of mediation for my oldest son, who was isolated and restrained at school without our knowledge or consent. The next IEP meeting to hash all that out will be next Thursday, and if we cannot come to an agreement, we'll ask for mediation. If they won't go to mediation, then due process it is. Sigh...He is still at the school, but in the special education class most of the time with more intensive instruction. The principal indicated in past meetings that this set up cannot continue indefinitely, as she cannot give up her sped teacher to my son almost exclusively. When I told this to the Sped. Director, she said she'd have to find out what the principal meant by that comment, as she doesn't see a problem with this set up continuing. Hmmm....left hand, meet the right hand. Perhaps it would be good if you two were on the same page!

As far as my son's Post Traumatic Stress, he's doing a little better being in the more structured setting rather than the general ed classroom. He is not as distressed and anxious all the time, although we still see signs of it. He is sleeping a little better (thanks to some meds that are supposed to help with the PTSD), but still not eating well. I still don't hear much about school -- if anything -- he doesn't talk about any friends, or what he did there. However, he's not constantly saying he doesn't want to go to school anymore, so I guess that's a plus.

My other son -- more severely Autistic and non-verbal -- is doing well in his last year of preschool, but sending him into the same machine that so terribly messed up his brother is keeping me up nights. I don't want to see all the positive gains he's made completely destroyed. So, there is a more "Intensive" classroom at a school in the district that they want him to attend. I toured it...it seems fine. I like the teacher. She's very experienced with Autism, and knows how to play to the child's strengths and incorporate their passions, which is excellent. I think my little guy will be okay in there. They'll try to include him -- but slowly, whenever they can, with neurotypical peers.

Here are the problems: My little guy has had the same aide for the last three years. But because the preschool is run by the county, not the school district, they will not let her continue with him next year because she's not a district employee. I have a problem with this. She's a great aide. She helps him, but makes him work. She knows him, and therefore understands the manifestations of his disorders. This is not something easy to come by in this district, since we've been pushing for more staff training on ASD and the district is resistant (they claim they've already been trained and already know all they need to know...well, I could go on all day about how wrong that is, but I won't). So, should I try and fight for the aide to continue with him, even though the Sped Director said that is impossible? Or, should I request a paraprofessional with Autism training rather than an aide?

Lastly, for my older guy and my youngest guy, the Sped Director said they want to hire a full-time Autism Consultant. You'd think this would be great news, right?!?!? No. She wants to hire the consultant who came up with the hairbrained ideas that harmed my oldest son. Her plan is why he has PTSD. I have put in writing that I do not want her anywhere near my children. So, she wants us to meet and "hash it all out so we can put it all behind us." Okay, well, I don't know that I can do that. I agreed to the meeting, but I have no idea why in the name of all that is good and holy I should ever trust this person with my children again. I doubt she'll be able to convince me otherwise.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.