RemedySpot.com

Autism Society of Greater Cleveland - Winkleman Case

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Friends of the ASGC,

I want to send out a special Thank You to the Winkleman family from Parma for their continued efforts for all parents rights who have children with disabilities. The Winkleman family will be taking their parent advocacy case to the United States Supreme Court next month. Their son has a temporary placement at Monarch but their money has run out. They need our support for this placement as they serve their community by fighting for our rights. Please help support them as they fight this fight for all of us.

The ASGC has a general education fund for matters such as these at any key branch location and we encourage you to support us as we assist families who strive to give their children the special help they need to better function in society.

At the family's request, I offer a copy of their letter below after my signature. Thank you as always for all that you do, in your actions or your prayers to support the ASGC.

Sincerely,

Rory McLean - President

ASGC

The Winkelman Family has been fighting for the rights of all parents across the country. They need our help today. Please consider giving back to this heroic family in their time of need. http://www.parentadvocates.org/index.cfm?fuseaction="article & ";articleID=6942

Tuition Assistance Fund Imagine waking up in a foreign land and not being able to speak or understand the language around you! How would you operate in a world truly different from the one you lived in? Welcome to the world of autism…

Autism is a complex neurobiological disorder that affects the functioning of the brain, impairing normal development in the areas of social interaction and communication skills. One in 166 children is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. A new case is diagnosed almost every 20 minutes. There is no cure for autism and no understanding of what causes it.

The Cleveland area is fortunate to have several critically needed services available for families who have children with autism, including the Monarch School. Unfortunately, tuition at a school for autism is very expensive. Most families cannot afford to pay private tuition and depend on their local school systems for help. (See http://www.yaleherald.com/article.php?Article=1350 ) article by ph Leone: Autism on the rise and in need of attention.) There are times, however, when schools refuse to fund programs and provide services for children with autism. To litigate a school district, families can face attorney fees of $100,000 or more each year. Where does a family turn?

You can help! A group of parents has just started the Tuition Assistance Fund. Right now there is a little boy named who has been at Monarch School since 2003 and has made remarkable progress at miracle levels. Due to funding, remains at home with no school to attend. needs to get back to school today. Please help this family bring their child back to school. We need to raise 60 days of tuition. We need sixty people to reach in their hearts and help keep in school while his family continues to litigate for his rights.

Please consider a tax-deductible gift.

Send checks made out to: ASGC (Autism Society of Greater Cleveland)

P.O. Box 41066

Brecksville, Ohio 44141

Please Note Name in Memo Area:

Winkelman

Questions contact: Shane M.D. , 216.622.0755, at CMR, 1331 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44114; OR E-mail Shane at: SMD@...

Shane has strived to create a ‘posse’ to support the Winkelmans and has been appointed by the Winkelmans as the” Lead Winkelman Family Advocate”.

Please consider making a donation and or by passing this along to others who have a heart for children. For more info on Monarch School go to: www.bellefairejcb.org Click on Monarch Services.

Hi Rory: I was wondering if it would be possible if you can write a letter to the Marshal United States Supreme Court and request tickets to the proceedings on Feb. 27th. Sandee Winkelman was only able to obtain 2 tickets in order to get into the proceedings and she would like to take the rest of her family. The Ohio Coalition wrote to request tickets and also only received 2 (we asked for 15). Unfortunately I will be using both tickets since I will be attending these proceedings. If you are able to help out, please make your request on letter head and you can address it to: Marshal United States Supreme Court Pamela Talkin Washington, D.C. 20543 Please fax your request to 202-479-2971 (since 911 this is the fastest way to get the request to them and this fax is open 24 hours) You

can ask for up to 15 tickets (as we know we might not get them) Include your mission and what the ASGC is about then a paragraph on how you are connected to the Winkelman family and how you have been providing support through this process. I would suggest to also mentioned (if you'd like) that the Autism Society of Ohio submitted a Brief as AMICI CURIAE in support of Winkelman and his parents and legal guardians, Jeff and Sandee Winkelman on December 15, 2006. Also mention how ASGC is affiliated with the state Autism Society. I know this is a lot to ask, but I figured if we get a couple of tickets here and a couple of tickets there we would be able to get her whole family to attend (I believes she just needs 4 more). Thanks for your help in this matter, Will see you on the 24th. Barb Rutt"rorymclean@..." <rorymclean@...> wrote: Dear Friends of the ASGC, I want to send out a special Thank You to the Winkleman family from Parma for their continued efforts for all parents rights who have children with disabilities. The Winkleman family will be taking their parent advocacy case to the United States Supreme Court next month. Their son has a temporary placement at Monarch but their money has run out. They need our support for this placement as they serve their community by fighting for our rights. Please

help support them as they fight this fight for all of us. The ASGC has a general education fund for matters such as these at any key branch location and we encourage you to support us as we assist families who strive to give their children the special help they need to better function in society. At the family's request, I offer a copy of their letter below after my signature. Thank you as always for all that you do, in your actions or your prayers to support the ASGC. Sincerely, Rory McLean - President ASGC The Winkelman Family has

been fighting for the rights of all parents across the country. They need our help today. Please consider giving back to this heroic family in their time of need. http://www.parentadvocates.org/index.cfm?fuseaction="article & ";articleID=6942 Tuition Assistance Fund Imagine waking up in a foreign land and not being able to speak or understand the language around you! How would you operate in a world truly different from the one you lived in? Welcome to the world of autism… Autism is a complex neurobiological disorder that affects the functioning of the brain, impairing normal

development in the areas of social interaction and communication skills. One in 166 children is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. A new case is diagnosed almost every 20 minutes. There is no cure for autism and no understanding of what causes it. The Cleveland area is fortunate to have several critically needed services available for families who have children with autism, including the Monarch School. Unfortunately, tuition at a school for autism is very expensive. Most families cannot afford to pay private tuition and depend on their local school systems for help. (See http://www.yaleherald.com/article.php?Article=1350 ) article by ph Leone: Autism on the rise and in need of attention.) There are times, however, when schools refuse to fund programs and provide services for children with autism. To litigate a school district, families can face attorney fees of $100,000 or more each year. Where does a family turn? You can help! A group of parents has just started the Tuition Assistance Fund. Right now there is a little boy named who has been at Monarch School since 2003 and has made remarkable progress at miracle levels. Due

to funding, remains at home with no school to attend. needs to get back to school today. Please help this family bring their child back to school. We need to raise 60 days of tuition. We need sixty people to reach in their hearts and help keep in school while his family continues to litigate for his rights. Please consider a tax-deductible gift. Send checks made out to: ASGC (Autism Society of Greater Cleveland) P.O.

Box 41066 Brecksville, Ohio 44141 Please Note Name in Memo Area: Winkelman Questions contact: Shane M.D. , 216.622.0755, at CMR, 1331 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH

44114; OR E-mail Shane at: SMDcmr-cleveland (DOT) org Shane has strived to create a ‘posse’ to support the Winkelmans and has been appointed by the Winkelmans as the” Lead Winkelman Family Advocate”. Please consider making a donation and or by passing this along to others who have a heart for children. For more info on Monarch School go to: www.bellefairejcb.org Click on Monarch Services.