Autism One Newsletter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

January 7, 2007

Dear Friends and Colleagues -

IN THE NEWS

The Age of Autism: 'Problems' in CDC data By Dan Olmsted

UPI Senior Editor

WASHINGTON, Dec. 11 (UPI) -- For three years, the CDC has used a study conducted on its own Vaccine Safety Datalink to reassure parents that mercury in vaccines does not cause autism. Now a panel of government-appointed experts says there are " serious problems " with exactly the approach the CDC took.

" I think what we're saying is that (study) wasn't the last word and that things need to be looked at again and perhaps with different methodology, " chairwoman Irva Hertz-Picciotto told Age of Autism, which obtained a copy of the panel's report.

Critics said that renders reassurances about the mercury preservative, called thimerosal, unconvincing.

" How can health authorities, with a straight face, claim they have any evidence proving no connection after this report? " asked J.B. Handley, co-founder of Generation Rescue, an advocacy group that believes autism is essentially mercury poisoning by another name. Read article.

There is No Autism Epidemic By Kirby

Huffington Post

It's been nearly two years since the release of my book, " Evidence of Harm, Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic - A Medical Controversy, " and I continue to be vilified by critics who insist that mercury does not cause autism, that autism is a stable genetic condition, and that it cannot be an " epidemic. "

I am going to declare a New Year's truce, and announce that my critics are 100 percent correct.

This year, I hope we can ALL agree on one thing: There is no autism epidemic.

Among my most spirited and articulate detractors is a group of adults with autism who belong to a movement that refers to itself as the " neurodiversity " community.

These adults argue passionately that autism is neither a disease nor a disorder, but rather a natural and special variation of the chance genetic imprint left upon human behavior. Most of them, I believe, have what science calls " Asperger's Syndrome, " or very high functioning autism. Read article.

The Crappy Life of the Autism Mom By Kim Stagliano

Huffington Post

Well, that title should set off alarm bells in the Neurodiverse (ND) autism world.

Autism is like a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans (from the Harry Potter books.) Some autistics got the raspberry cream or root beer flavor. They can speak eloquently, write blogs, move out on their own, marry, have children and manage their autistic traits.

Others with autism, like my three girls, got the ear wax/vomit/dog poop flavor. They need help 24/7 to navigate the world. When I talk about autism, I mean the version that my three girls got. I'm not talking about the sort of autism that encompasses quirky kids with some social deficits who are otherwise brilliant. Read article.

Coal-plant issues discussed By Kathy

Herald Democrat

Experts in a variety of science and health fields spoke to nearly 100 residents Thursday about the possible health and environmental effects of locating a coal-burning power plant near Savoy. Professionals in disciplines ranging from neuroscience and economic development to ethics and pond management all cited the need to slow down the approval process of 18 proposed coal-fired power plants in Texas, especially the pulverized coal plant TXU proposed to build in Savoy, near the Fannin-Grayson county line. No representative of TXU attended the meeting.

Dr. Janet Kern, a neuroscientist specializing in the study of autism, showed a diagram depicting the increase in the rates of autism. In 1988, the rate was 1 in 1,000; it was 1 in 333 in 1999; 1 in 294 in 2003; 1 in 166 in 2006. “And according to Autism Speaks, the rate is actually now 1 in 120,” she said. Read article.

AUTISM ONE 2007 CONFERENCE

REGISTRATION OPENS FOR AUTISM ONE 2007 CONFERENCE

ROADMAP TO RECOVERY!

May 2007 marks the fifth annual Autism One Conference. Our focus has always been to help one mother and one child, one family, to be better today than yesterday and the day after and the day after that… and tomorrow to help another family and another.

Listening to and learning from fellow parents exposes not only the urgent need for change, but provides the impetus as well. The past can no longer serve as a prologue of the future. The autism community includes some of the most highly educated, sincere, and motivated parents and doctors in the world, trailblazing a Roadmap to Recovery for children with autism spectrum disorders. This year will be a watershed time in the continuing evolution of autism. On all fronts, parental inventiveness has replaced the murky dark outlines of autism with precision and purpose, and in doing so has helped reveal many of the causes, environmental contexts, and treatments for autism.

Over the years Autism One has grown to meet your needs and the expanding needs of our community. This year’s initiatives include the Arts Festival and Pre-Conference Law Day.

The Autism One Conference offers three full days of education along five separate tracks. These encompass biomedical research and treatment, education and therapies, complementary and alternative medicine, adult and adolescent issues, and legislative, personal, and legal issues. Additionally, two pre-conference days are dedicated to four separate and equally urgent topics: Law Day, Diets, Family Health, and First Responder training.

The conference, once again, is the largest and most far-reaching, comprehensive autism conference in the world. Featuring over 110 leading experts, roundtable discussions and workshops, Mentor Moms, and a host of other initiatives, Autism One educates you to be your child’s most effective healer and advocate.

We are tremendously pleased to bring you Autism One 2007: Roadmap to Recovery. Join us and the increasing number of other families whose children continue to improve on their singular and simultaneously similar paths to recovery.

Welcome Aboard

We are very pleased to welcome Chantal Sicile-Kira as Director of Communications and Public Relations for Autism One. Chantal’s Autism One Radio program, The Real World of Autism with Chantal, was mentioned in the November 27th issue of Newsweek magazine in which Chantal and her 17-year old son, , were featured. Chantal, who heads the company, Autism Making a Difference, Inc., is a consultant to parents, schools, and service providers on individualized transition planning and adolescent issues, as well as a national speaker. Her mission is to provide practical information and training to caretakers and educators to enable the individual on the autism spectrum to be as self-determined and successful as possible. Chantal is the author of Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and other ASD’s (published by Penguin), which was the recipient of the 2005 Autism Society of America’s Outstanding Literary Work of the Year Award. Her latest book, Adolescents on the Autism Spectrum: A Parent's Guide to the Cognitive, Social, Physical, and Transition Needs of Teenagers with Autism Spectrum Disorders was published by Penguin in March 2006 and was nominated for the Books for a Better Life Award (National Multiple Sclerosis Society). Chantal is on the Task Force on Transitional Services and Supports (reporting to California’s Legislative Blue Ribbon Commission on Autism).

We would like to wish the very best to Jim Donnelly and his family. Jim served Autism One with dedication and distinction and has gone to work on bigger and better things. Jim is responsible for the First Responders Pre-Conference Day and for keeping Autism One firmly focused on helping adolescents and adults with autism.

We congratulate Jim and his passion for finding answers by stimulating environmental research and looking for genetic susceptibilities. Jim founded the Fuzz Foundation to help bring about the type of research sorely needed in our community. We welcome Jim’s voice as an advocate and educator as he advances our community efforts.

AUTISM ONE RADIO

Monday, January 8th

and Sandy Waters: The Candy Store: Music, Art, Inspiration, and Information.

Guests: Keri Bowers and Cross of the movie “Normal People Scare Me.”

Wednesday, January 10th

Chessen and Cris Italia: Spectrum Magazine Radio Show.

Topic: Aspects of health, wellness, and fitness for the family: exercise and nutrition.

Thursday, January 11th

Judith Bluestone: The Fabric of Autism: Weaving the Threads into a Cogent Theory.

Topic: How and why to understand “Behaviors as Communication” and the “Gentle Enhancement” process.

Monday, January 15th

Stan Kurtz: From the Children's Corner: Research, Reform, Recoveries.

SPECIAL: 1-hour VIDEO: Death by Flu Shot.

Topic: A multi-segmented video on potential adverse effects of the flu shot.

Interviews include: a nurse whose mother recently died from the flu shot; autism onsets following flu vaccination; and a healthy grandfather who gets flu vaccines every year.

Tuesday, January 16th

Chantal Sicile-Kira: The Real World of Autism with Chantal.

Topic: and Sam: Two Boys, One Family, and Autism.

Guest: Charlotte , writer and journalist, has three sons - two of whom are autistic - and has written a memoir, GEORGE AND SAM, both a deeply personal account and a comprehensive study of autism. gives us a glimpse of both the difficulties and the humor that arise from life with autism in the family.

Friday, January 19th

Dr. Hosam Badr : The Autism Arabic Café.

In Arabic:

Dr. Badr interviews staff at the Dubai Autism Center about their efforts to help the autism community in the United Arab Emirates. Also discussed is the January 27th conference with Dr. Badr and Dr. Shaw on biomedical therapy.

Monday, January 22nd

and Sandy Waters: The Candy Store: Music, Art, Inspiration, and Information

Guest Raun Kaufman, CEO, the Autism Treatment Center of America

Tuesday, January 30th

Chantal Sicile-Kira: The Real World of Autism with Chantal.

Topic: Rapid Prompting Method (RPM).

Guest: Soma Mukhopadhyay, HALO Executive Director of Education, discusses the Rapid Prompting Method, her work at HALO (Helping Autism through Learning and Outreach), and Tito's latest writing projects.

New Hosts Coming to Autism One Radio

Nettie Hartsock is a long-time freelance business journalist veteran and a weekly contributing writer for multiple Ziff- Media publications. Nettie is mother to a 6-year old son, Gibson, who was diagnosed at 2 1/2 with PDD-NOS. After 3 years of therapy, Gibson is doing fantastic.

Laurie s, MA, CCC-SLP, is co-founder of Social Skill Builder, which provides computer-based tools for teaching social skills to children affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Laurie is the owner of Community Speech Language Services, an independent speech pathology practice that treats pediatric and adolescent language disorders including autism, Asperger's Syndrome, and Down Syndrome. Laurie has served patients with adult and adolescent neurological disorders and facilitated social training groups at multiple hospitals. Laurie was also a practitioner in Mercy Hospital Systems' Head Start Program, where she treated pediatric communication difficulties including autism, articulation, language delays, and stuttering.

s, MS, CCC-SLP, is co-founder of Social Skill Builder. worked as a speech pathologist at Cook Children's Hospital in Denton, TX, Children's Hospital of Atlanta in Atlanta, GA, and Starbright Children's Rehabilitation Institute in Austin, TX. Specializing in the treatment of children with ASD, coordinated and conducted social skill groups and counseled families and educational professionals on improving children's pragmatic skills in various environments. She also worked closely with occupational therapists and psychologists as part of a team approach to social instruction.

Dr. Joann Lang, founder of the Beacon Day School, has been involved with the care of children for more than 25 years, serving as a nurse practitioner, educator, educational psychologist, and practicing, licensed neuropsychologist. Dr. Lang is also an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine. Throughout her career, Dr. Lang has worked with children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, has lectured widely on the topic, and has served on the Interagency Autism Committee of Orange County, California.

s is a Certified Nutrition Consultant and author of Nourishing Hope: Environmental Contributors, Biochemical Observations and Nutrient Intervention for Autistic Spectrum Disorders including ADHD. focuses on traditional foods, feeling that organic whole foods, unprocessed dairy, traditional fermented foods, and other nutrient-dense foods are ideal ways to build nutrient reserves and support healing. She is a DAN! practitioner with a deep knowledge of biomedical approaches, sulfation, and the disordered chemistry of ASDs. Another special interest of hers is pre-conception health.

ONE FAMILY

They came into the restaurant about 3pm – after the lunch crowd had departed and before the dinner crowd would begin arriving, and sat at one of the smaller tables near the middle of the room.

They were obviously in love, holding hands across the wooden table. A radiance of purpose reflected in the other.

A small boy, maybe 6 or 7 years old, sat between them making small fluttering gestures with his hands. His hands in constant motion – soon his body was too. Unable to sit still, dashing from the table every few minutes he was retrieved by his father.

The boy’s constant fluttering motions did not seem to pierce the family’s purpose – as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Smiling, talking, stopping to hold hands between bites, immersed in each other.

I was drawn, but cautious not to invade their privacy. I remember thinking the world did not exist for them as it existed for you and me. They did not so much ignore others in the restaurant as to be independent of us.

Was it dignity – otherworldliness – which kept them separate yet together? Their actions held great promise. I had never seen anything similar. They were probably in their 30s. I was in my mid-20s. They finished their meal and asked for the check.

My actions seemed artificial in comparison. Why should I feel shame bringing a check?

The little boy smiled. The father handed me his credit card. Should I comment? “Your little boy is beatific.” No, that didn’t sound right. “Your family is nice.” No, that wouldn’t do. I finally settled on “We hope to see you again, real soon.” The father looked at me as if seeing me for the first time, nodded then got back to his purpose. I hoped that would be true. But I never did.

Looking back with the benefit of hindsight I know now the little boy had autism. I know now the family purposefully chose a time to eat when the restaurant was practically empty. I know now it was probably the first time the family had a chance to enjoy a public outing, in ages. My shame was not knowing.

Now, I see others in stores and at playgrounds and think of the young family as others look at us. I feel the love of my boys more. And turn my attention to them.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or ideas. Thank you.

My Best,

Ed Arranga

http://AutismOne.org

earranga@...

To be removed from this list please reply with " Remove " in the subject line.