RemedySpot.com

And Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Any Worse...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

....it does. In a big, bad ugly way.

For those who've kept up with our story, our son was put in a "calm room," which is basically a glorified closet (I don't really care what the school tries to say -- an office my Aunt Fanny), and we know of one type of restraint that was used on him (the "hot dog roll" -- which, from what I understand from a sped teacher in another district, is supposed to only be used in cases of extreme violence). Obviously, we objected. Quite loudly. Meetings were held...FBAs were done (but not very well, if you ask me...too vague)...I was stabbed in the back by the Director of Pupil Services, and verbally attacked in a meeting by the principal...in other words, it got ugly. I begged, pleaded and finally found an advocate with the help of slaw (I love "Ask the Advocate!"). We were in process of planning an administrative review, which involves the school superintendent. Who knows where it would have gone from there.

BUT....

Today, the principal of the school finally responds in writing to a follow-up letter I wrote on Nov. 28th. Despite the fact that we were very clear in writing in several documents that the "calm room" was to be discontinued for our son because we felt it was inappropriate -- and that was verbally accepted in the meeting, or so it seemed -- the principal writes this in the letter:

"Please know, however, if it is a matter of safety to (your son) and others, we will access any appropriate space as needed, including use of the calm room."

Isn't that lovely....the school system thinks it's above the law! I am waiting for the advocates to call me back because I am now afraid for my son's safety at school and am awaiting advice on what to do next. I am now writing a "No Consent" letter to drop off at school and the Board Office tomorrow making it very clear (as I thought we already had) that we do not authorize the use of seculsion or restraint for our child. I'm sure they will just line the "circular file" with it, as they apparently seem to think these things don't pertain to them.

Please say some prayers for us and our son. He has suffered psychological damage as a result of what they have done, but the school refuses to acknowledge that (because that would involve admitting they screwed up BADLY, and could open them up to all kinds of liability). It's probably going to get a whole lot uglier before it gets any better. I don't think the situation can be resolved with him maintaining this placement -- actually, I'm pretty sure of it.

Just a thought...you all might want to consider writing up a "No Consent" letter to be put in your child or children's files. The seclusion and restraint that was done to our son was done without our knowledge -- let alone our consent. Apparently, you never really know what they're doing when you hand your child over to the school.

--Suzanne

Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

Sue,

No advice, just wanted to say I am sorry that you and your son have to go through this.

----- Original Message -----

gbs1010@... ; rorymclean@... ; ; AutisticSpectrumKids

Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 5:44 PM

Subject: [ ] And Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Any Worse...

....it does. In a big, bad ugly way.

For those who've kept up with our story, our son was put in a "calm room," which is basically a glorified closet (I don't really care what the school tries to say -- an office my Aunt Fanny), and we know of one type of restraint that was used on him (the "hot dog roll" -- which, from what I understand from a sped teacher in another district, is supposed to only be used in cases of extreme violence). Obviously, we objected. Quite loudly. Meetings were held...FBAs were done (but not very well, if you ask me...too vague)...I was stabbed in the back by the Director of Pupil Services, and verbally attacked in a meeting by the principal...in other words, it got ugly. I begged, pleaded and finally found an advocate with the help of slaw (I love "Ask the Advocate!"). We were in process of planning an administrative review, which involves the school superintendent. Who knows where it would have gone from there.

BUT....

Today, the principal of the school finally responds in writing to a follow-up letter I wrote on Nov. 28th. Despite the fact that we were very clear in writing in several documents that the "calm room" was to be discontinued for our son because we felt it was inappropriate -- and that was verbally accepted in the meeting, or so it seemed -- the principal writes this in the letter:

"Please know, however, if it is a matter of safety to (your son) and others, we will access any appropriate space as needed, including use of the calm room."

Isn't that lovely....the school system thinks it's above the law! I am waiting for the advocates to call me back because I am now afraid for my son's safety at school and am awaiting advice on what to do next. I am now writing a "No Consent" letter to drop off at school and the Board Office tomorrow making it very clear (as I thought we already had) that we do not authorize the use of seculsion or restraint for our child. I'm sure they will just line the "circular file" with it, as they apparently seem to think these things don't pertain to them.

Please say some prayers for us and our son. He has suffered psychological damage as a result of what they have done, but the school refuses to acknowledge that (because that would involve admitting they screwed up BADLY, and could open them up to all kinds of liability). It's probably going to get a whole lot uglier before it gets any better. I don't think the situation can be resolved with him maintaining this placement -- actually, I'm pretty sure of it.

Just a thought...you all might want to consider writing up a "No Consent" letter to be put in your child or children's files. The seclusion and restraint that was done to our son was done without our knowledge -- let alone our consent. Apparently, you never really know what they're doing when you hand your child over to the school.

--Suzanne

Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.