RemedySpot.com

Research Project - Need Participants

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Friend of ASO;

Information on an autism research project. Details follow my signature. FYI - please share.

Have you purchased your Ohio Autism Awareness License Plate yet? To purchase yours, visit www.oplates.com and click on "Specialty Plates" or visit our website at www.autismohio.org for more information.Sincerely,Barbara C. YavorcikPresidentAutism Society of Ohio701 S. Main St.Akron, OH 44311(330) 376-0211fax: (330) 376-1226email: askASO@...home: byavorcik@...web: www.autismohio.org Please note: This is provided for information purposes only. The ASO does not endorse or recommend any providers, methodologies or services. Providing this information should not be construed as an endorsement by the ASO, either explicit or impiled.

--------------------------------------

Hello,

I am a student in Disability Studies at The University of Toledo, doing a Research Project on the experiences of families with children who have Austism. I was wondering if you would be willing to assist me with my research. I would be very grateful if you would agree to participate in this study. This study is completely voluntary, and your participation will be confidential and anonymous.

If you are interested in participating in this study there is a document of questions in this email. There is also a consent form attached to this email to secure your confidentiality.

Please feel free to forward this email to as many other families that would be interested in participating in this study.

Thank you for considering my request.

Sincerely,

Donelan

Undergraduate Student at the University of Toledo

Member of Chi Omega Panhellenic Sorority

Treasurer, Relay for Life 2006

email: erin.donelan@...

2999 West Bancroft Street Unit B-1

Toledo, Ohio 43606

------------------------------------------------

Student Researcher: Donelan

Phone: (440)552-5796

Email: erin.donelan@...

Mail:

Toledo, Ohio 43606

Faculty Advisor: Dr Mark Sherry, Ph.D.

Phone: (419)530-4076

Email: mark.sherry@...

Information Sheet: Autistic Spectrum Disorder: A Parent's Response to a Child's Diagnosis

This project will study the parents' reactions after their child has been diagnosed with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. The purpose of the study is to identify the reactions and coping strategies after a diagnosis and to identify common strategies that are used within the family after an Autistic Spectrum Disorder diagnosis.

Each participant will be asked to choose a pseudonym, so that their anonymity is preserved. All answers will be completely anonymous, and confidentiality will be maintained by keeping the transcripts in a locked file, and in password-encrypted computer files.

The research is a part of my course, which is a Research Methods class in Disability Studies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Consent Sheet

Have you read the information sheet on this project? Yes No

Do you realize that participation in this study

is completely voluntary? Yes No

Do you realize that you are free to withdraw Yes No

at any time?

Have you been asked to choose a pseudonym Yes No

so that your confidentiality will be maintained?

My Pseudonym is _____________________________________________

Have you been provided with the name of my Yes No

faulty advisor who you can contact if you have

more questions about the project?

PLEASE SEND RESPONSES TO: erin.donelan@...

Donelan

Toledo, Ohio 43606

I agree to participate in this study.

Signed: ­­­­­­­­­­___________________________________________

Date: ___________________________________________

Witness: ____________________________________________

Date: ____________________________________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please select a pseudonym for yourself so that confidentiality is assured.

Personal Background Information/Demographics:

Please indicate your age in years:

Please indicate your gender:

Please indicate your ethnicity:

White (not of Hispanic origin)

African-American

Hispanic

Asian or Pacific Islander

American Indian or Alaskan Native

Other

Educational Background Information:

Please indicate your highest level of education:

Family Information

Please indicate your marital status:

Married

Single

Separated

Divorced

Widowed

Other

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

What is your relationship with the Autistic child?

Please indicate if you have more than one child with a disability, and if so please indicate the nature of that child’s disability.

How old is your child with Autism?

At what age did you find out he/she had Autism?

Does Autism run in your family?

What type of Autism does your child have?

What do you think the main effects of autism are?

How has Autism affected your life?

Has Autism put a strain on your family? If so, how?

How were you told that your child has autism?

Where did you, as parents, receive the most information about your child’s disorder?

Were you addressed in a professional manner about the diagnosis?

How did you feel before, during and after the diagnosis process?

Had there been any behavior from your child which you had seen, before the diagnosis of autism, that you did not understand, which you could understand once the diagnosis had been made?

During the diagnosis process, were the diagnostic terms explained? If so, which ones? Was there anything else you would have liked to be told, in retrospect?

During the diagnosis process, were sources of support explained? If so, which ones? Was there anything else you would have liked to be told, in retrospect?

During the diagnosis process, what sources of information about autism were explained? Was there anything else you would have liked to be told, in retrospect?

During the diagnosis process, what coping strategies were discussed? Was there anything else you would have liked to be told, in retrospect? Was counseling available for you? Did you have counseling?

During the diagnosis process, how were the future consequences explained? Was there anything else you would have liked to be told, in retrospect?

During the diagnosis process, what sources of treatment were explained? Was there anything else you would have liked to be told, in retrospect?

Was information provided about the long-term effects of Autism?

Has any professional, such as a family service worker, speech and language therapist, school psychologist, or teacher made a big impact on your child’s development? If so, how?

In your family, did both of the parents of the child with autism react the same, or was there some degree of difference?

Have you been involved in any service organizations or support groups for parents with autistic children? If so, which ones, and have they helped?

For parents, what are the negative and positive effects of a child with Autistic Spectrum Disorder?

---------------------------------------

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.