RemedySpot.com

Author of Riding The Bus With My Sister to speak - Summit, Portage County

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Friend of ASO:

Information on and event featuring the Author of "Riding The Bus With My Sister". Details follow my signature. FYI - Please share.

Sincerely,

Barbara C. YavorcikPresidentAutism Society of Ohio701 S. Main St.Akron, OH 44311(330) 376-0211fax: (330) 376-1226email: askASO@...home: byavorcik@...web: www.autismohio.org Please note: This is provided for information purposes only. The ASO does not endorse or recommend any providers, methodologies or services. Providing this information should not be construed as an endorsement by the ASO, either explicit or impiled.

----------------------------------------------------

An Evening with Simon

Author of "Riding The Bus With My Sister: A True Life Journey"

Presented by

The Arc of Summit and Portage Counties

DATE: Tuesday, March 20, 2007

TIME: 7:00PM - Doors Open at 6:30PM

1474 Boettler Road

Green, Ohio 44232

COST: $10.00 per Ticket

To purchase a ticket contact

The Arc office at 330-836-5863.

Sponsorship support from

The Lisle M. Buckingham

Endowment Fund

of the Akron Community Foundation

and several key individuals

Join author and motivational speaker Simon as she takes you on an emotional and educational journey that is so much more than just a ride on a bus. Along the way you'll learn why public transportation shapes and holds the community. You'll see how important this vital work is for one sister named Beth, who has a developmental disability, and for people everywhere. 's presentation amuses, engages and inspires. It's a ride you'll want to share.

During her presentation, will address how she came to write the book, how the general public reacts to a person with a developmental disability. She will provide insight into the struggles and obstacles that her sister, Beth, and their family had to endure and overcome for Beth to become the person she is today. She discusses how her sister, Beth, has sculpted out of the ordinary an extraordinary community. She explores self-determination, discrimination, the concerns of siblings, the importance of friends, and how she accepted her feisty sister. She also makes peace with the dramatic events of their shared childhood, and discovers heroes among the bus drivers.

Simon's masterpiece, "Riding The Bus With My Sister: A True Life Journey" won the American Book Award from the Before Columbus Foundation in 2003 for outstanding literary achievement, The Dr. & Mrs. Bell Distinguished Service Award in 2003 for dedication to community transportation and the TASH Image Award in 2002 for positive portrayals of people with developmental disabilities.

will be available to sign your personal copy of her book - make sure and bring it with you