RemedySpot.com

Emergency Preparedness for People with Special Needs & Disabilities

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Friend of ASO:

In the wake of several disasters that have happened in the past couple of years, I thought that this information was timely and appropriate. FYI - please share.

Sincerely,

Barbara C. YavorcikPresidentAutism Society of Ohio701 S. Main St.Akron, OH 44311(330) 376-0211fax: (330) 376-1226email: askASO@...home: byavorcik@...web: www.autismohio.org Please note: This is provided for information purposes only. The ASO does not endorse or recommend any providers, methodologies or services. Providing this information should not be construed as an endorsement by the ASO, either explicit or impiled.

-------------------------------------------------

Emergency Preparedness for People with Special Needs and DisabilitiesImportant QuestionsBy Cavanagh and Anne MaliaWhere can I find disability focused emergency information? Emergencies can strike at any time. Many people find themselves askingthe same question: Where can I find disability focused emergencyinformation? The answer is Emergency Info Online, a free online service andprinter-friendly directory produced by Bridge Multimedia. This preparednesstool can be accessed at EmergencyInfoOnline.org and offers a wealth ofcompiled digital information regarding emergency preparedness, response andrecovery‹with a particular emphasis on individuals with special needs. Theonline resource provides in-depth information on a broad range of emergencypreparedness and response issues.What exactly is involved in creating an emergency plan that includes theneeds of people with disabilities?Emergencies often limit communication, transportation and emergency rescueservices. A good emergency plan has several backup options that could beimplemented in a number of different situations and considers the specialneeds of all individuals involved. Groups such as The National Organizationon Disability (NOD) and Ready.gov, a website run by the Department ofHomeland Security, provide steps that can assist in the creation of such aplan.What do government agencies do to help ensure the inclusion of people withdisabilities in emergency plans?The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), The Department of HomelandSecurity and The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are the threemain government organizations that deal with emergency planning andemergency alerts. The FCC is committed to making sure that individuals withdisabilities can access emergency information supplied by the media. TheDepartment of Homeland Security and FEMA also have numerous resourcesavailable to assist in emergency planning.How can I make sure that my school or office can accommodate the needs ofpeople with disabilities in an emergency?Find out whether your school or office already has an emergency plan. Makesure that the needs of people with disabilities are addressed. If not,suggest ways to improve their plan to that it includes everyone. Since itmay not be evident that you would need additional help in an emergency, itis up to you to notify your school or office of your special requirementsand work with them to create an appropriate emergency plan. The U.S.Department of Education, The U.S. Department of Labor and The NationalClearinghouse for Educational Facilities all provide helpful guides thatdeal with emergency planning for schools and businesses.What can I do to prepare my community to help people with disabilities in anemergency?After first taking the necessary steps to prepare yourself and your family,you can help to prepare your community by receiving training in emergencyresponse and first aid, then spreading awareness to local schools,businesses and other organizations. Join a local group that deals withemergency preparedness. If your community doesn¹t have such a group, formone yourself. Emergency Info Online¹s Community Link compiles variousresources that can be of use to groups dedicated to disaster readiness,including up-to-date lists of upcoming emergency preparedness events acrossthe country. Questions such as these are extremely important. Answers are even moreimportant! Emergency Info Online gathers information from useful onlineresources and compiles them into one convenient website in order to answerthese and other questions both efficiently and effectively. Emergency InfoOnline is available on the web and in a printer-friendly version athttp://www.EmergencyInfoOnline.org .Source: Bridge Multimedia, http://www.bridgemultimedia.com