RemedySpot.com

Questions to Any and All Who Use the Autism Scholarship

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I know there have been many questions about this during recent months, however, maybe someone might have some additional insight for me. I have two sons -- both with a dx of Autism or Asperger's Syndrome respectively -- and have had a horrible year with the school. It would be one thing if anything was learned and ultimately good would come out of it, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Therefore, I'd love to cut our losses and go the scholarship route. So, I have some questions:

We cannot afford to chip in any money above and beyond the $20,000 the scholarship offers. We MIGHT be able to get OT and SLP outside the school under our health insurance -- not sure about that, but we might be able to do that. Would that help us keep to that 20K?

Along those lines, does anyone know of an approved place we could send our kids that fit the financial limitations we have but be able to accommodate a kindergartener and a second-grader? I know there are many options for pre-K, but what happens to older kids?

Does your present LEA still do the IEP, MFE and are they still ultimately responsible for making sure FAPE is provided, or does that fall to the school district in which the scholarship school is located? I can't remember the answer to that.

Do you still have an IEP, or does it go into an ISP? If it's an ISP, it limits your legal protections, doesn't it?

I know you have to have an agreed upon MFE and IEP, your child has to be registered in your district of residence, and have a diagnosis of Autism to use the scholarship. When do you need to notify your LEA that you are taking your child out and using the scholarship? I'm asking this, because it looks like our youngest son's MFE and IEP will go right down to the end-of-the-school-year wire.

I have Sogan's number, and I am going to call him, but he might not be able to help me with the first two bullet points, and that's what I'm REALLY having difficulty with.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.