RemedySpot.com

Re: Living with -V- Dealing with Autism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Becky,

That is so amazing and what an insight. That one floored me too. I'm glad that can verbalize with you about his thoughts. I didn't know if he was verbal or not.

Yours, n

In a message dated 8/4/07 11:04:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sleeplessohio@... writes:

Hi all

I am still so behind my email I do not feel I will every get caught up. I have been tempted to just delete and start fresh the next day. But than I would miss much information. I follow a thread until it turns in a direction that I am not dealing with and move onto the next topic.

I can honestly say raising and working with other families dealing with autism and other disabilities has enlighten my world and blessed my soul and opened my heart. The Autism does bring along with it high level of stress, but when you sit back and just see things through the individuals eyes of the person living with Autism it is amazing what you see.

Many would say this statement is confusing. It is simple. We ( Bob & I ) are dealing with Autism in raising , however is the one who is living with Autism. He sees the world in such a different light. Not rose colored glasses or drug induced visions, but in a way that when you stop and try to see what he is seeing life becomes simple. When was the last time you laid on the ground next to your child and watch life at the ground level? I did today. was laying on the patio starring in to my freshly weeded flower bed. I laid next to him and ask what we were watching. He said "another world" I stopped and looked and not seeing anything other than dirt, flowers and ants ask "what world is that?" He looked up at me and said " They do not stop Mom, I have never seen an ant take a nap." He continued for 5 minutes telling me what the ants were doing in his mind, building houses, walking the kids, hunting for food, getting married, burying the dead. That one grabbed my attention hard and I ask what he meant. He pointed out an ant that was carrying another ant and he said the one on top is dead and see that (pointing to an ant carrying a grain of rice left over from yesterday dinner on the patio) she is taking he egg home from the baby ant hospital. I just sat there and for the 1st time since I was child just watched the ants. It is a different world down here.

Later we were at PT and a mother was trying to explain sensory issues to her son who looked to be about 9. , not looking at them and not speaking loudly said " your brain and body do not talk to each other" This floored me. I do not know where he every heard this explanation, I know not from me. But I thought back to all the times I tried to explain it to a parent a sibling and laughed. How much simpler can a statement be and still answer to the question completely? I later asked him about it, he said "that is how I work"

I am not saying there are not days I just want to go to my room and cry or hide in my office with the huge NO sigh on the door. But after today I will stop 1st and try to see what is seeing through his eyes. I have a feeling re-taught me a great life lesson today without even trying to be the teacher.

Guest guest

Thanks for sharing this, Becky. Very inspiring and even awakening indeed. It is great that has the verbal skills and clarity to tell you in simple ways how he sees the world. Reminds me of Portia Iversen's book Strange Son, just got done reading it. 's experience must be heard because it reveals the little understood mind of our kids and helps us embrace them. Thanks again and so happy that you and are connecting in new ways these days. Becky Griggs <sleeplessohio@...> wrote: Hi all I am still so behind my email I do not feel I will every get caught up. I have been tempted to just delete and start fresh the next day. But than I would miss much information. I follow a thread until it turns in a direction that I am not dealing with and move onto the next topic. I can honestly say raising and working with other families dealing with autism and other disabilities has enlighten my world and blessed my soul and opened my heart. The Autism does bring along with it high level of stress, but when you sit back and just see things through the individuals eyes of the person living with Autism it is amazing what you see. Many would say this statement is confusing. It is simple. We ( Bob & I ) are dealing with Autism in raising , however is the one who is living with Autism. He sees the world in such a different light. Not rose colored glasses or drug induced visions, but in a way that when you stop and try to see what he is seeing life becomes simple. When was the last time you laid on the ground next to your child and watch life at the ground level? I did today. was laying on the patio starring in to my freshly weeded flower bed. I laid next to him and ask what we were watching. He said "another world" I stopped and looked and not seeing anything other than dirt, flowers and ants ask "what world is that?" He looked up at me and said " They do not stop Mom, I have never seen an ant take a nap." He continued for 5 minutes telling me what the ants were doing in his mind, building houses, walking the kids, hunting for food, getting married, burying the dead. That one grabbed my attention hard and I ask what he meant. He pointed out an ant that was carrying another ant and he

said the one on top is dead and see that (pointing to an ant carrying a grain of rice left over from yesterday dinner on the patio) she is taking he egg home from the baby ant hospital. I just sat there and for the 1st time since I was child just watched the ants. It is a different world down here. Later we were at PT and a mother was trying to explain sensory issues to her son who looked to be about 9. , not looking at them and not speaking loudly said " your brain and body do not talk to each other" This floored me. I do not know where he every heard this explanation, I know not from me. But I thought back to all the times I tried to explain it to a parent a sibling and laughed. How much simpler can a statement be and still answer to the question completely? I later asked him about it, he said "that is how I work" I am not saying there are not days I just want to go to my room and cry or hide in my

office with the huge NO sigh on the door. But after today I will stop 1st and try to see what is seeing through his eyes. I have a feeling re-taught me a great life lesson today without even trying to be the teacher. Becky Mother to , 16, Autism, Epilepsy, Cerebal Palsy, MR, ADHD Check Out Make a Dream Come True Entry http://www.4pawsforability.org/dream.htm Everybody has barriers and obstacles. If you look at them as containing fences that don't

allow you to advance, then you're going to be a failure. If you look at them as hurdles that strengthen you each time you go over one, then you're going to be a success. Carson Surgeon Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.

Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

Guest guest

Becky,

What a beautiful vision from the mind and heart of such an amazing

young man. His words and descriptions are far superior to any of ours,

meaning those of us who take God's creations for granted. How many

times have I destroyed a colony of ants because to me, I see them as

unwanted pests? To , they are creatures in their own rite...their

own society, their own community...their own world.

Our children are our best teachers... and is a shining example!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

-Trish

(ummm... now this doesn't mean that I will allow these little guys to

invade my kitchen countertops, but now, I'll just try to repell them

with white vinegar and see what happens ~~~~~~~~~~ :0)

Guest guest

Hi n started talking when he was about 4. When he was 9 we had him up to the langiage skill set of a 6-7 year old. But he suffered a horrid seizure and lost 4.3 years of language skills. We felt unless when this happen. All that hard work gone in 20 minutes. Through ongoing speech therapy we have managed to get him back up to 5.9 yrs on language skills. He will be retested in Spetember an dwe are praying he has reached at least 7 yrs old skill set. The grammer and sentence structure is FAR from perfect. He still struggles daily in finding the right words to us and gets frustrated when he can not find them. I do not know if he rememebrs he used to be able to communacate better or not, maybe he does and this is where part of the frustration comes from. We still use PECS with him for his daily schedule board...which he has started calling his appointment board. We have used PECS off and

on for years. We always use them during school breaks to help him see what the day holds and remind him what he needs to do and what the daily goals are. We are blessed that he developed speech. came to us at 3 and only screamed. If he never improves in his speech we will still be blessed. Becky 1@... wrote: Hi Becky, That is so amazing and what an insight. That one floored me too.

I'm glad that can verbalize with you about his thoughts. I didn't know if he was verbal or not. Yours, n In a message dated 8/4/07 11:04:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sleeplessohio writes: Hi all I am still so behind my email I do not feel I will every get caught up. I have been tempted to just delete and start fresh the next day. But than I would miss much information. I follow a thread until it turns in a direction that I am not dealing with and move onto the next topic. I can honestly say raising and working with other families dealing with autism and other disabilities has enlighten my world and blessed my soul and opened my heart. The Autism does bring along with it high level of stress, but when you sit back and just see things through the individuals eyes of the person living with Autism it is amazing what you see.

Many would say this statement is confusing. It is simple. We ( Bob & I ) are dealing with Autism in raising , however is the one who is living with Autism. He sees the world in such a different light. Not rose colored glasses or drug induced visions, but in a way that when you stop and try to see what he is seeing life becomes simple. When was the last time you laid on the ground next to your child and watch life at the ground level? I did today. was laying on the patio starring in to my freshly weeded flower bed. I laid next to him and ask what we were watching. He said "another world" I stopped and looked and not seeing anything other than dirt, flowers and ants ask "what world is that?" He looked up at me and said " They do not stop Mom, I have never seen an ant take a nap." He continued for 5 minutes telling me what the ants were doing in his mind, building houses, walking the kids, hunting for food, getting married,

burying the dead. That one grabbed my attention hard and I ask what he meant. He pointed out an ant that was carrying another ant and he said the one on top is dead and see that (pointing to an ant carrying a grain of rice left over from yesterday dinner on the patio) she is taking he egg home from the baby ant hospital. I just sat there and for the 1st time since I was child just watched the ants. It is a different world down here. Later we were at PT and a mother was trying to explain sensory issues to her son who looked to be about 9. , not looking at them and not speaking loudly said " your brain and body do not talk to each other" This floored me. I do not know where he every heard this explanation, I know not from me. But I thought back to all the times I tried to explain it to a parent a sibling and laughed. How much simpler can a statement be and still answer to the question completely? I later asked him about it, he said "that is how I work"

I am not saying there are not days I just want to go to my room and cry or hide in my office with the huge NO sigh on the door. But after today I will stop 1st and try to see what is seeing through his eyes. I have a feeling re-taught me a great life lesson today without even trying to be the teacher. Becky Mother to , 16, Autism,

Epilepsy, Cerebal Palsy, MR, ADHD Check Out Make a Dream Come True Entry http://www.4pawsforability.org/dream.htm Everybody has barriers and obstacles. If you look at them as containing fences that don't allow you to advance, then you're going to be a failure. If you look at them as hurdles that strengthen you each time you go over one, then you're going to be a success. Carson Surgeon

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

LOL...I respect the little critters outside, but do draw the lines in the house. Many times when doing laindry I have found "pets" or "friends" in his pocket when sorting laundry. Mainly dead mind you but still in his pockets none the less. He now has a bug box that he is allowed to collect bugs is and attached to it is a timer. He knows now he can put the bugs in the box, set the timer fully (60 minute) than he has to put them back. It took 3 years of working with him on this but this summer he has done a great job of catch and release and even times like with the ants that he just watches them at ground level BeckyTrish <minniemimi1@...> wrote: Becky, What a beautiful vision from the mind and heart of such an amazing young man. His words and descriptions are far superior to any of ours, meaning those of us who take God's creations for granted. How many times have I destroyed a colony of ants because to me, I see them as unwanted pests? To , they are creatures in their own rite...their own society, their own community...their own world.Our children are our best teachers... and is a shining example! Thanks for sharing this with us! -Trish(ummm... now this doesn't mean that I will allow these little guys to invade my kitchen countertops, but now, I'll just try to repell them with white vinegar and see what happens ~~~~~~~~~~

:0)Becky Mother to , 16, Autism,

Epilepsy, Cerebal Palsy, MR, ADHD Check Out Make a Dream Come True Entry http://www.4pawsforability.org/dream.htm Everybody has barriers and obstacles. If you look at them as containing fences that don't allow you to advance, then you're going to be a failure. If you look at them as hurdles that strengthen you each time you go over one, then you're going to be a success. Carson Surgeon

Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Games.