RemedySpot.com

RECIPES for the WEEK - 9/28 HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Cheesy Mock Potatoes2 cups WHITE BEAN PASTE6 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated2 tablespoons butter2 cloves garlic, pressed (optional)If using garlic, saute in butter in medium saucepan until translucent, then add bean paste, and cheeses and stir together well.If not using garlic, simply blend all ingredients in the sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until cheeses are melted, bean paste is hot, and ingredients are completely blended. Turn into serving dish, and serve with either additional melted butter, or topped with meat gravy.Bean Paste2 (dry weight) pounds white navy pea beansSort beans to be sure there are no stones or other undesirable items in them. Place in a large pot, and cover with water to a depth of about 5 inches over the beans. Allow to soak overnight, or 8-10 hours, whichever is longer. Drain and rinse the beans. Return to pot and fill with water to a depth of around four inches over the beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the beans are completely tender, about two hours. Do not salt the beans before or during cooking, as this will make them tough. Drain, and rinse the beans. If vegetable skins are still a problem, use a food mill to process the beans into paste and remove the bean skins. If vegetable skins are not a problem, process the beans in a food processor, blender, or through ameat grinder with a fine plate. ( Maverick electric grinder.) The bean paste is now ready to use.For future use:Plop bean paste on a cookie sheet in one-cup glops and freeze solid. Pry glops off the sheet and store in a zip top bag in the freezer. Then when you need a cup of paste, you can reach in, pull out a glop, and set it in a bowl to defrost, and it's pre-measured. Using the "glop" method, you don't have to go through the hassles of soaking, rinsing, cooking, and rinsing the beans every time. Whole cooked beans can also be frozen in pre-measured amounts for other uses. Note: I have also made these with properly cooked split red lentils, and with peeled, boiled, drained celeriac. One person of myacquaintance prefers lima beans and makes hers with limas. All are whizzed up with a hand blender. Celeriac is said to be very fibrous and may be a problem for some people. Both white beans, limas, and lentils are legumes and may be an advanced food for some people.Wizop Marilyn L. Alm (louisianascdlagniappe@...) Banana Cream Pie (LSCDL Recipe)5 ripe bananas4 eggs, separated, yolks slightly beaten¾ cup water½ cup orange juice½ teaspoon nutmeg4 teaspoons plain gelatin (2 envelopes), softened in orange juice)2 tablespoons honey3 cups dripped half & half yogurt¼ recipe Graham Cracker doughPress graham cracker dough into the bottom of a buttered 9 inch spring form pan [1]. Bake in a 325°F oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.Place egg whites in a bowl, and put bowl, and the beaters you will use to whip them in the refrigerator to chill. Slice one banana and dip slices in orange juice to prevent browning. Set aside and chill until needed. Mash remaining four bananas and blend with water and ¼ cup orange juice in the top of a double boiler. Cook over briskly boiling water. When completely cooked, remove from heat. Cool slightly to prevent danger to blender container, then purée in blender. Return to top of double boiler. Reduce heat under lower part of double boiler so that it drops to a gentle simmer. Add softened gelatin, egg yolks and honey. Whisk together until very smooth, then cook over gently simmering water until thickened, about six to nine minutes. Although it does not have to be whisked briskly during this time, it must be stirred continuously, or you will have scrambled egg in banana sauce. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature in a bath of cool water. Whisk in the half & half yogurt cheese until smooth. Remove egg whites and beaters from refrigerator. Beat to stiff peaks. Gently fold eggs whites into banana mixture, then pour into spring form pan. Arrange banana slices decoratively on top, or use a small amount of pecan flour to trace decorative spirals out from the center. Or both. Chill in refrigerator until firm, 2-4 hours. Overnight is better.[1] Or into a 10” pie panWizop Marilyn L. Alm (louisianascdlagniappe@...) Graham Crackers[1]3 cups (1 lb) pecan flour1/2 cup honey1 jumbo egg1 tsp cinnamon1/2 tsp ginger1/4 tsp nutmeg1/2 tsp baking soda6 Tablespoons half & half yogurt cheese or DCCC + 2 T melted butter if using DCCC (optional)Blend honey, yogurt cheese, egg, spices, & baking soda. Add to pecan flour and mix well There are two ways to make crackers out of this dough.The first, the freezer cookie method, is to divide the dough in quarters and roll each quarter into a log 1½” to 2” thick. Roll in wax paper and freeze until just firm.[2] To bake, remove from the freezer and allow to sit at room temperature until just soft enough to slice. Slice very thinly ( ”) with a sharp, thin knife (a boning or filleting knife works well) and place on a generously buttered pan or non-stick pan. Bake in preheated oven at 325° F for 8 minutes, turn crackers over and bake another 6 minutes -or- convection bake in a preheated oven at 325° F for 7 minutes, turn crackers over and bake another 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the pan. With the dark pecan flour, it can be a trifle difficult to determine “golden brown.” [2] The second method seems a bit more complicated, but yields perfectly round, flat crackers of a fairly even thickness. With the freezer cookie method, I could never cut all my slices evenly, so I had some crackers over-browned, and some not-quite-cooked.For this method, you’ll want at least four 12 muffin non-stick pans, a one teaspoon cookie scoop, a piece of plastic wrap, and either a tart tamper, or my favorite, my large oven side salt shaker. Using the cookie scoop (or a teaspoon measure), scoop rounded teaspoons of dough into each cup of the pans. Covering each cup, use the tart tamper to flatten the ball of dough, and squash it evenly into the bottom of the muffin cup. Bake in 325° F oven for about 9 minutes. While they are baking, fill and flatten the other two trays. Remove the baked crackers, and with a finger protected by a handkerchief or tea towel, spin the rounds out of the muffin cups and onto a cookie sheet. Place the half-baked crackers face down on the sheet, and return to the oven on the top shelf. Place the second set of muffin tins on the bottom shelf. Bake for 9 minutes. Continue until all cracker dough is baked. Typically, I get around 8 dozen crackers from the recipe above using the muffins tins[3]. They are not quite 2” in diameter, and just the right size for topping a scoop of ice cream, pushing fruit compote around, or just enjoying. Which ever method you choose for baking[4] – freezer cookie style or muffin tin – once all the crackers are baked, pile them on a cookie sheet, and return them to a 200 degree oven. Reheat for 15 to 30 minutes. This reheating ensures they will stay crisp while stored. Store the crackers in airtight tins or plastic bags.Variation: For a softer, chewy cinnamon-ginger cookie, either cut the slices thicker, or use a one tablespoon cookie scoop if using the muffin pan method. Bake the full time without turning over, and then allow to cool. Do not re-bake. Store these cookies as you would other nut breads, in the refrigerator. [1] This recipe came about when I wondered what would happen if I used pecan flour instead of almond flour for Krivel Krackers. It seemed to me than pecan flour lent itself to sweet and spicy mixtures, while almond seemed to work with herby-savory mixtures. So some of the footnotes for these crackers are the same as for Krivel Krackers. [2] When the dough has been shaped in a log and tightly wrapped in wax paper you can roll it back and forth on the counter to get it smooth and even. When using this method, I often mixed several batches of dough, then rolled it in pieces of wax paper somewhat longer than the rolls of dough. This allowed me to twist the ends to keep the dough fresh, and store multiple rolls in one zip top bag. Then, when fresh crackers are desired, simply pull a roll out of the freezer and allow it to defrost. [3] I actually have 3 24-cup non-stick muffin tins from The Kitchen Collection. These can be a bit heavy to handle, but I can have one pan baking, one pan cooling enough to handle, and one pan which I am filling, and can keep things moving in an assembly line fashion. Sue Krivel uses heavy weight cookie sheets purchased from a restaurant supply. [4] Sue prefers to bake the crackers using the ‘convection bake’ option on her oven. She turns the crackers over with a thin, flexible metal spatula; I used a very thin plastic when doing the freezer-cookie method; the muffin tin method doesn’t need a spatula. When reheating the crackers, we both combine several pans on one. I also have placed the crackers in my dehydrator and simply dried them over night at 150°F.Wizop Marilyn L. Alm (louisianascdlagniappe@...)=======================================I Can't Believe It"s Not Potato!1/3- 1/2 fresh cauliflower, steamed or boiled1 extra large or -2 small eggs1/4-1/2 cup melted butter2 tablespoons almond floursalt and pepper and herbs of your choice4 fresh mushrooms sliced1/2 cup dry curd cottage cheese1/2 large sweet onion, sliced"Carol Frilegh" <c.frilegh@...> Fresh Figs with Brie CheeseIt's divine."Carol Frilegh" <c.frilegh@...> Dripped Yogurt DessertSmothered in almond butter with nuts and dried fruit sprinkled over it and then a generous stream of honey. Coconut is an added option. Sometimes I add frozen fruit sorbet. It has over 800 calories a serving and was invented to hurl in the face of those who say SCD is a low carb and low calorie diet. Since no baking is involved, the only associated failure comes two days later when I step on the scale.Carol Frilegh (c.frilegh@...) Roast Cornish hen1 Cornish Hen, cut in half the long waya lump of butter1 teaspoon olive oil1 large clove,garlic, minceddried rosemary, basil and parsley to your likingsalt and peppera little grape juicea little ornage juicea drizzle of honeyPreheat the oven to 400. Tuck the wings behind the hen. melt the butter and add the oil, garlic and herbs. Place the hen halves in a pyrex rectangular 9 x 13 baking dish. Add salt and pepper and brush on butter and oil mixture. Place in oven and then turn down heat to 375. Roast one hour, basting occasionally with pan juices. remove from oven and allow 5-10 minutes standing time. Add juices and honey to pan juices and baste again.Carol Frilegh (c.frilegh@...) Salsa VerdeThe classic green sauce of Italy, is a sauce of olive oil and chopped parsley flavored with lemon zest, garlic, and capers. It adds lively freshness to almost any simple dish. Flat-leaved Italian parsley is preferable, but curly parsley is good, too. Fresh parsley-the fresher the better-is the majority herb, but almost any other fresh, tender herb can enhance a salsa verde: tarragon, chervil, and chives are good choices.Use a sharp knife when you chop parsley (and other herbs). A sharp knife slices cleanly through the leaves, preserving both flavor and color, while a dull knife mashes and bruises them. The zest is the thin yellow outer layer of the lemon's skin; avoid grating any of the bitter white part (called the pith) beneath. The zest brightens the flavor of the sauce, so don't be shy with it; you may need more than one lemon's worth. Don't hesitate to experiment. I make salsa verde more or less thick depending on what I am using it for. I tend to use less oil when it's for roasted meats and grilled vegetables and more for fish.HERBS OF CHOICEparsley, basil, chives, chervil, tarragon,cilantro,sorrel,marjoram,savory,thyme,mint, rosemaryCombine in a small bowl:1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley (leaves and thin stems only) Grated zest of 1 lemon 1 small garlic clove, chopped very fine or pounded into a purée 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped 1/2 teaspoon salt Fresh-ground black pepper to taste 1/2 cup olive oil Mix well and taste for salt. Let the sauce sit for a while for flavors.VARIATIONS* Other herbs, or combinations of herbs, can replace part or all of the parsley.* Add a little chopped salt-packed anchovy fillet, or chopped shallot, orchopped hard-cooked egg-or all three.* Lemon juice or vinegar makes the sauce zestier, but add them just beforeserving, as the acid will cause the herbs to discolor. (You can macerate alittle chopped shallot in the vinegar or lemon, if you wish.)Carol Frilegh (c.frilegh@...)======================SWEET FRENCH WAFFLES3 Large eggs1/4 c. SCD dripped yogurt1/4 c. Farmers cheese or DCCC2 Tbls. Melted butter1 Tbls. Honey1 teas. Vanilla extract1/4 c. Almond flour1/4 teas. Salt1/2 teas. Baking soda1/4-1/2 teas. Cinnamon2 Tbls. chopped pecansIn large bowl, mix first 6 ingredients until creamy. Add dry ingredients and mix until well blended and creamy. Prepare as usual for your waffle maker.Here's the ingredients for a TRIPLE BATCH:9 Large eggs3/4 c. Dripped SCD yogurt3/4 c. Farmers cheese or DCCC6 Tbls. Melted butterScant 1/4c. Honey3 teas. Vanilla3/4 c. Almond flourScant 1/2 teas. salt1 1/2 teas. Baking soda1 teas. Cinnamon1/4 c. Chopped PecansNotes: This batter is so thin, it could easily be used to make crepes in a crepe pan (or other small pan), and filled with your favorite filling. Might want to omit the pecans for crepes"Debbie" <dreemrytr7@...> Sue's Fourteen Date CakeThis cake is great on its own, or topped with Yogurt Bavarian (recipe below)14 Medjool dates ( or about 3/4 lb.)1 teaspoon baking soda1 cup boiling waterPit and chop dates finely. (Place pitted date, skin side up and slice in thin strips. Slice again at 90 degrees.) Scrape the chopped dates up. Place in a small bowl, sprinkle with baking soda and add boiling water. Mix well and stir occasionally while cooling to room temperature. The mixture will become thick and soft.1/2 cup butter at room temperature3/4 cup honey4 eggs, separated1 2/3 cups almond flour1 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)Beat egg whites with lemon juice until stiff. Set aside. (The lemon juice stabilizes the whites.) Beat butter and honey together. Add egg yolks and beat well. Add cooled date mixture. Mix almond flour, baking soda and salt together and add. Mix well. Gently fold in the stiff egg whites. Put mixture into a 9" spring form pan. Place the pan on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 F for 60 - 70 minutes or until the centre feels just firm to the touch. Cool. Sue's Yogurt Bavarian8-10 ounces of pear juiceBring the pear juice to a boil and reduce until 2 Tablespoons remain. Watch carefully as once it is almost reduced the juice can burn easily.2 Tablespoons (2 envelopes) gelatin1/2 cup water4 egg yolks1/2 cup honey2 Tablespoons reduced pear juice1 teaspoon vanilla1 1/2 cup yogourt1 cup creme freche (yogourt made with whipping cream)Sprinkle the gelatin over the water, let soften and then heat to dissolve.Beat the egg yolks and the honey until thick and light. Add the pear juice. (If you are concerned about using raw eggs you may heat the egg mixture using a double boiler; I don't.) Add the vanilla and yogourt and then stir in the gelatin. Beat the creme freche until it is stiff and fold into the yogourt mixture.Pour mixture on top of the Date Cake. Chill for at least 1 hour. To serve: decorate the top with fruit and remove the sides of the spring form pan. APRICOT FLAN OR TART.Blind bake a flan or tart base with Dan's Awesome Pastry.1 cup almond flour ( sift it to get the finest I can)1 egg1 cap Pure Vanilla Extract1 tbsp butterenough honey to sweeten crusta littlepinch salt.Melt butter and honey together and add vanilla then add egg beating to combine.Mix together with almond flour until they form a ball, if necessary add a little more flour. It will be rather moist but not liquid.You can taste to see if sweet enough but it really does not need a lot of sweetening and you can also add cinnamon if you like that flavour. Press pieces of dough into the pie plate or flan tin (patience required) until crust is made. I use a flan tin with loose bottom which I line with baking paper and butter sides to make it easy to remove. You can also cut strips of baking paper and line the fluted sides of flan tin if you want. Bake at about 325f for about 15 - 20 mins until just turning a slight golden brown. Allow to coolApricot fillingSoak dried apricots for a little while in boiling water then cook and add honey to taste. Quantity depends on size of pie.Then I use a good tablespoon of gelatine disolved in some of the liquid added to the apricots and allow to cool. You can place in fridge of freezer if in a hurry. When pie crust is cold and filling cold but not set too firm fill tart and allow to set. The geletine ensures that when you cut flan into wedges it stays firm and can be easily handled. If you are interrupted and filling sets entirely you can soften it with a few seconds in microwave and a stir. Alternatively you can place any cooked fruit in the pie crust and make a jelly and pour over when nearly set. These are delicious when served with Yogourt made with pure cream and then whipped with a little honey.Lona Lona Vezich (lonavezich@...) Lentils with Spinach and Ginger1 cup lentils, picked over, washed and drained3 cup water6 T vegetable oil (I use olive)1 tsp grated fresh ginger1/2 cup well chopped fresh coriander1 1/4 lb fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and chopped2 tsp salt2 T lemon jouce (more to taste)Put the lentils and water in aheavy pot and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to simmer and cook for 1 hour. Over medium flame, heat theoil in a pot large enough to hodl the spinach. When hot, add the ginger and fry to 10 seconds. Add coriander and spinach and still and cook until the spianch is wilted. Now add the cooked lentils and the salt. Stir to mix and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook very gently for 25 minutes. Add the pepper and lemon juice, stir to mix and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes. Adjust any seasonings. <ydnewf@...> Honey MuffinsThis is a basic coconut flour muffin recipe you can use to make a variety of muffins.3 eggs2 tablespoons butter, melted2 tablespoons coconut milk (I used almond milk, didn't have coconut milk)3 tablespoons honey¼ teaspoon salt¼ teaspoon vanilla¼ cup sifted coconut flour (I used Bob's coconut flour from Wholefoods, no sifting etc)¼ teaspoon baking powderBlend together eggs, butter, coconut milk, honey, salt, and vanilla. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter until there are no lumps. Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees F (205C) for at least 15 minutes. Makes 6 muffins. I added raisins to the muffins. I couldn't detect the coconut taste very much, but you may want to experiment with adding a little apple sauce etc to see if you can mask the coconut taste if its objectionable."Raj Ganesan" <raj_ganesan@...> Favorite Roast ChickenPerfect chicken: evenly cooked, with crisp skin2- to 3-pound free-range chickenKosher salt and freshly ground black pepper2 teaspoons minced thymeUnsalted butterDijon mustardPreheat oven to 450 degrees. Rinse chicken in cold water, then dry very well with paper towels, inside and out. The less it steams, the drier the heat, the better. Salt and pepper cavity, then truss bird with kitchen twine to help it cook more evenly. (See Note.) Now, salt chicken -- I like to rain salt over the bird so it has a nice uniform coating that will result in crisp, salty, flavorful skin (about 1 tablespoon). When it's cooked, you should still be able to make out salt baked onto the crisp skin. Season to taste with pepper. Place chicken in saute pan or roasting pan and, when oven is up to temperature, put chicken in oven. I leave it alone -- I don't baste it. I don't add butter. You can if you wish, but I think this creates steam, which I don't want. Roast it until it's done (165 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh), 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and add thyme to pan. Baste chicken with juices and thyme and let it sit for 15 minutes on cutting board. Remove twine. Discard wing tip. Separate middle wing joint and eat that immediately. Remove legs and thighs. I like to take off the backbone and eat one of the oysters, the two succulent morsels of meat embedded there, and give the other to the person I'm cooking with. But I take the chicken butt for myself. I could never understand why my brothers always fought over that triangular tip -- until one day I got the crispy, juicy fat myself. These are the cook's rewards. Cut breast down middle and serve it on the bone, with one wing joint still attached to each. The preparation is not meant to be super elegant. Slather meat with butter. Serve with mustard on the side and, if you wish, a simple green salad. You'll start out using knife and fork, but finish with your fingers, because it's so good. Note: To truss chicken, place it on a tray with legs toward you. Tuck wing tips under bird. Cut piece of kitchen twine about 3 feet long and center it on top of neck end of breast. Lift neck end of bird and pull twine down around wings and under chicken, then bring ends up over breast toward you and knot twine, pulling it tight to plump breasts. Bring ends of twine around ends of drumstick and straight up. Tie as before to pull drumsticks together and form a compact bird. Tie again to secure knot.Sent in by kdhedde (kdhedde@...) Thin Browniecup almond butter1 banana (Helps it hold together. You could use BN squash.)1/4 cup pear sauce1 tsp vanilla (optional.)egg replacer: 1 1/2 T water, 1 12/ T oil (I use a little of the oil from the top of the almond butter plus about 1/2 T from olive oil)1 tsp Baking Soda1/2 tsp vinegarBake for 20-25 minutes. I use a glass dish that looks like it's about 12" X 12" the brownie rises to about 1/2-3/4 inch.Ask Trish "trishkasouth" <tricia@...> if you have questions. Greek Chicken Salad2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped into large chunks1 large cucumber, chopped2 Tablespoons fresh spearmint leaves, chopped1 cup goat's yogurtPlace chicken in medium-sized bowl. Add in cucumber and spearmint.Pour in goat's yogurt. Mix well. Note: Mixed types can use sheep milk or cow milk yogurt in place of goat's milk yogurt, though goat's milk yogurt has a lower fat content, which is good for carb types. Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Check it out!