RemedySpot.com

Just sharing my thoughts ~ from n

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I thought given the oppertunity; I would share my thoughts and beliefs. This is a big part of me that I want to tell the world! :o)

To me Autism is indentity rather than a label; I believe in supporting Autism rather than defeating autism. In my opinion, autism is a part of a person that needs love just as much as every other part of the body. My son has autism and I feel I can love my child in whole when I love that part of his as well. I still want to give him the best opportunities for growth in mind, spirit and soul and this is just as well for myself.

With the therapies I've chosen, I'm very proud of how far my son has come with comprehension and ability. He has yet more to achieve and I encourage more but allow him to achieve it for himself. This is so important because he will achieve success knowing that he is loved no matter how much he comprehends and adapts to the world around him. I am working toward recovery for both my son and myself with biomedical and conventional therapies. Over the last year, I've become aware that I am an adult with high functioning Asperger’s syndrome (not officially diagnosed with AS but only with ADHD, I was thinking of going to an expert, but haven’t yet.) I've been implementing Biomedical and inspirational therapies for myself. My social and writing ability has greatly improved over the last 2 years with these therapies. (a few friends from my past have admitted that they thought I was just a quiet, shy and reserved person, but that was never really me. I always wanted to be in that social circle and keep up with the chitchat, I'm getting there!) Being someone with Asperger’s syndrome; I remember what it’s like to not be able to express myself and having that anxiety of not being sure of myself or anyone else around me. From my own point of view, I can honestly say that being diagnosed is the best start toward becoming sure of yourself, because you know it’s not you personally, but it’s your ability or non-ability to be able to comprehend, express yourself and be confident knowing that you are human and it's ok to be yourself. I’m so glad I found the l therapies I've been implementing. It was all because of my son; I became aware of the part of myself I never knew about.

To me, autism is not a label, it's an identy and I'm glad I found that missing part of my identy that I don't have to hide or pretend it doesn't exist. I'm glad to be myself entirely. I'm always a person first and that is most important. (It's rather interesting; but last year is when I first felt I was a real person.) I don't know if anyone else has felt that way. Honestly, I didn't know I didn't feel like a real person until I did feel like a real person. (I know that's sad to hear, but it's true.) I don't mind admitting it because I'm so at peace, love and appreciate myself now. (Self hatred ruled me for many years believe it or not.) Ability should never be the rule to loving or appreciation for oneself and hate should never be a fuel for achievement or gain.

I want you to know I am glad to help anyone seeking help with any part with autism and any type of therapies you find best for you and your child.

Yours Most Truly,

n Helmick

Parent to Parent for Autism

http://hometown.aol.com/parentschat/homepage.html