> they got up. Sometimes creating such a mess (#2). This child has

> been diagnosed on the spectrum, although I have another friend whose

> son isn't and he also does this. Are there any suggestion on what to

> do to stop this?

> Thanks,

> Kiersten

>

Guest guest

Hi, I would say that you need to try to find out why the smearing happens in the first place. If it is sensory (meaning, the child does it because he likes how the poop feels when smeared, or, he does not like the feeling of the diaper on him or her, or other possible sensory reasons), you would need to address those while you put behavioral measures in place as well. If it is the feeling of smearing that is reinforcing for your child, one can do lots of activities throughout the day that would give him the same sensory experience (playdoyugh, helping you with cooking, making dough, etc.) As said, one can use positive reinforcement (you should absolutely do this and keep it positive) when the child goes in an appropriate place and manner (in the toilet) through lots of social praise or even immediate tangible reinforcement such as his favorite snack (just a piece of candy or part of

a cookie will do; tickels or a favorite toy/activity, if that's his thing). I would like to stress that a token system (meaning, collecting a certain number of stickers to earn a reinforcement) may be a little bit down the road more successful as that is called delayed reinforcement or gratification. You need to give FIRST IMMEDIATE REINFORCEMENT (praise and candies, etc) to stop the behavior, then you space the candies out to fade them and then eventually do a sticker collection/token system. In my opinion, punishment should not be used unless positive reinforcement of desired behavior failed. The sensory piece comes in if needed - for my son I feel it needs to be addressed as he will take his underwear/pants off because of his difficulties to tolerate the material I suppose (need to look at this myself a bit more into detail) and he does this, of course, when I am not looking....so my

first intervetions was to really try to catch him when he takes pants off and immediately take him to the bathroom, have him go, and give him reinforcement. I do this silently (no reaction at all, no yelling or showing upset) and show him an icon with the toilet, saying "you need the bathroom", and then walk him up there. I am lookign into the sensory piece right now and I am experimenting with the brushing program (I do this about 4 times a day at scheduled intervals, not when the behavior occurs) to decrease my son's issues with his clothing. After only two days of doing the brushing, my son only took his pants off 1 time only (instead of each time we left him alone) and no accidents happened this way any longer. He still has an urinary incontinence issue that is slightly different than the one described above, but I am looking into that as well with a medical professional. My son is considered almost fully potty trained so I know that

something is up with him right now, medically. There are other reasons/functions of behavior that smearing can happen for. If you overreact to the situaton, your child may continue or step it up for your attention. This is why you should not react. Some behaviors happen to avoid certain demands (that would be avoidance). So, key is to find out why your child is smearing in the first place. I do have a quick assessment tool for this that I can email you and you can pass it on to your friend - it would help her with finding out why the smearing occurs. Let me know if you want to have a copy! Hope this helped you a bit. Please feel free to contact me or pass my email on to your friend should you have any questions at egerpatt@.... Good luck! LJL

<laura6307@...> wrote: Your friend can try a variety of parenting methods. Of course, she can use punishment (for doing it - something like a timeout) or rewards (for not - something like a sticker per day not doing it - 5 stickers equals reward). She can ride it out as it won't go on forever. She can put the child into a one piece and safety pin the zipper to the outfit so it can't be opened. She can put the diaper on backwards and ducktape it on.>> Hi everyone!!!> Does anyone know what to do when there is regression in potty> training. I am writing for a friend that has a 4 year old and they> were potty trained and started playing with their dirty diaper when> they got up. Sometimes creating such a mess (#2). This child has> been diagnosed on the spectrum, although I have another friend whose> son isn't and he also does this. Are there any suggestion on what to> do to stop this?> Thanks,> Kiersten> Don, ,Evan , the Kitty, and Nikita Pattison 15819 Fernway Rd Shaker Heights, OH 44120 home (216)752-5978 cell (216)544-1231 Don cell (216)313-0612

TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV.