RemedySpot.com

Information on a variety of Events and Resources

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Friend of ASO:

Information on upcoming events, resources, etc. Details follow my signature. FYI - Please share. Included are the following:

- Postsecondary Opportunities for Students with Cognitive/Intellectual Disabilities, November, Rochester, MI

- Dayton ASA Chapter Meeting, TONIGHT

- Boardman, OH Author writes "Growing with Joe"

- The Autism Perspective Magazine- Book: Autism and the God Connection- The Call for Volunteers for the 2007 NATTAP Conference is now open!- 2007 ASA National Conference Online Registration Now Open- Autism Society of Greater Cleveland June Newsletter now Available

- OPERATION ADVENTURE, A Camp Experience for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Peninsula, Ohio- Heart of Sailing - Education and recreational therapy for to special needs children - NEW BOOK FROM AAPC - Sharing Information About Your Child with Autism Spectrum Disorders- New Handbook from CareStar regarding the Home Care Program - Autism Safety Toolkit- OCALI Presents: A Collaborative Conference on Autism with Low Incidence Disabilities - STEPS Center for Excellence in Autism Grand Opening- Smooth as SILC: An Introduction to Statewide Independent Living Councils, Online courses

Have you purchased your Ohio Autism Awareness License Plate yet? To purchase yours, visit www.oplates.com and click on "Specialty Plates" or visit our website at www.autismohio.org for more information.Sincerely,Barbara C. YavorcikPresidentAutism Society of Ohio701 S. Main St.Akron, OH 44311(330) 376-0211fax: (330) 376-1226email: askASO@...home: byavorcik@...web: www.autismohio.org Please note: This is provided for information purposes only. The ASO does not endorse or recommend any providers, methodologies or services. Providing this information should not be construed as an endorsement by the ASO, either explicit or impiled.

Postsecondary Opportunities for Students with Cognitive/Intellectual Disabilities

SAVE the DATE & SPREAD the WORD

November 4 and 5, 2007

Symposium on Postsecondary Opportunities on College Campus for Students with Intellectual/Cognitive Disabilities

The Developmental Disabilities Institute (DDI) is pleased to announce an upcoming Symposium on Postsecondary Opportunities on College Campuses for Students with Cognitive/Intellectual Disabilities. The first ever Michigan event will take place November 4th & 5th, 2007 on the campus of Oakland University in Rochester, MI.

This Symposium brings together leading experts, researchers, practitioners and consumers on postsecondary education (PSE) to provide an overview of PSE opportunities and discuss current trends, issues, and solutions for PSE initiatives. Two of the pioneers and researchers in the field, Dr. Meg Grigal, Director of the Postsecondary Research Center (www.transitiontocollege.net) and Dr. Debra Hart, Educational Coordinator at the Institute for Community Inclusion, University of Massachusetts will present at the Symposium. Exemplary models of learning on college campuses for students with cognitive/intellectual disabilities will be showcased. The goal of the symposium is to foster the growth of the knowledge and interest in providing opportunities for students with cognitive/intellectual disabilities to continue to learn in inclusive, post high school settings.

Nationally, there is a strong surge in the interest and implementation of PSE opportunities for students with cognitive disabilities (www.thinkcollege.net ). This model of learning on a college campus is characterized by high expectations, increased and meaningful opportunities to strengthen skills and an opportunity to learn and live with same-aged peers in an inclusive setting. DDI, Michigan's University Center for Excellence in Disabilities (UCEDD) is dedicated to the development of inclusive communities, the enhancement of the quality of life of people with disabilities, and the enrichment of the field of disability research and service.We invite interested stakeholders to attend this symposium. Movement forward on PSE for students with cognitive/intellectual challenges comes from the collective effort of diverse stakeholders: students, families, advocacy groups, higher education, school personnel (especially related to transition), vocational rehabilitation, community mental health, and other related groups. The rich diversity of presenters and participants will strengthen the efforts to enhance the lives of all students, with and without disabilities.For updates on the Symposium, visit www.ddi.wayne.edu/postsecondary_symposium.php To request a conference brochure, contact Latosha Marshall at DDI at du8586@... For more information about the Symposium, please contact Janice Fialka, Symposium Coordinator, at ruaw@... or phone (248) 546-4870.

To learn more about PSE Initiatives on the campus of Oakland University, contact Associate Dean Wiggins at wiggins@... or 248-370-3095.Symposium Planning Advisory CouncilThe Symposium Planning Council includes representatives from the following organizations: a.. Oakland University b.. Oakland Schools c.. University of Michigan-Dearborn d.. Michigan Departmanet of Labor and Economic Growth e.. Washtenaw ISD f.. Kent ISD g.. Michigan Transition Services Association h.. Michigan Department of Education i.. Office of Special Education j.. Arc of Northwest Wayne County k.. United Cerebral Palsy of Michigan l.. Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council m.. Michigan Protection and Advocacy n.. CAUSE o.. Michigan Alliance for Families p.. Michigan Partners for Freedom q.. Oakland County Community Mental Health Authority r.. Arc of St. Clair County s.. Michigan Disability Rights Coalition t.. Family and Community Members

For more information about PSE opportunities, please visit:www.thinkcollege.netwww.transitiontocollege.netwww.education.umd.edu/ocowww.transitioncoalition.orgwww.STEPS-Forward.org

Dayton Autism Society

invites you to a presentation by

Tabitha Kirby, BCBA

(Board Certified

Behavior Analyst)

Topic?

Applied Behavior Analysis- the Discrete Trial Training approach (DTT)

There will be time for questions and answers.

There will be refreshments and fellowship following the presentation.

When?

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

6:30pm – 8:30 p.m.

Where?

United Rehabilitation Services

4710 Troy PikeDayton, OH 45424

Who?

Parents – Teachers – Providers

Everyone is welcome. Bring a friend!!

For information about The Dayton Autism Society, contact Meghan at 937-974-6176, or daytonautismsociety@...Sorry, childcare is not available.

Boardman, OH Author writes "Growing with Joe"

"Growing with Joe" was released on March 2, 2007. It is theautobiography of le Hiner. I am proud to call this my biggestaccomplishment. I wrote it to help parents to understand that it is notuncommon to be feeling the feelings that they are dealing with. They tooare human and the dreams that they once had will again be their dream,just with a few adjustments. I have sold over 55 books since the end ofMarch and have had all positive feedback. After each chapter in thisbook is a letter to my son from a doctor, educator, friend, or familymember who's life has been changed by just knowing my son. I did this toshow the reader that even special needs child can touch a person's lifeas every other person does. The websites arewww.freewebs.com/daniellehiner or www.myspace.com/danielles_den . At bothof these sites parents can read an excerpt and a sample letter to my sonthat is from the book. There is also a list of online bookstores thatcarry the book and their prices. If someone wants an autographed copythey can email me through myspace or attend my books signing at theBoardman and Noble on June 21st at 6:30. The book is 19.95 plusS & H at most online stores. I am selling it for the same price butautographed. If I can waive the shipping cost I will. A small portion ofthe proceeds from the sale of each book will be deposited into ascholarship fund at Easters Seals named after my son, the Joesph W.Hiner Scholarship Fund. In December of each year a local family will beawarded the scholarship to aide them with the cost of their child'stherapy expense. Sincerely,le Hiner

The Autism Perspective Magazine

For information on the magazine, and how to order, visit:

http://www.theautismperspective.org/

Autism and the God Connection

Autism and the God Connection was recently nominated as one of three finalists in the "Parenting/Family Issues" category for the 2007 Publishers Marketing Association lin Award for excellence (a book on pregnancy won the award).

There has also been inquiry from a foreign publisher about translating Autism and the God Connection into Greek.

Progress has begun on the Autism and the God Connection documentary by Teo Zagar, and a teaser trailer has been posted to YouTube.com at this link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yDzTPUTKfzQ and on DailyMotion.com at this link: http://www.dailymotion.com/teozagar/video/3815639

The Soul of Autism, the sequel to Autism and the God Connection, has sold to New Page Books; it is scheduled for publication in 2008. This new book will build upon and further explore the concepts originally presented in the first (which was but the tip of a very large iceberg). Many revelations await those intrigued by Autism and the God Connection in this new volume.

In September, Sourcebooks will publish The Autism Answer Book in which I respond to over 300 questions submitted by real parents and categorized into twelve chapters. It is available now for pre-order on Amazon.com for $10.17, and has already been selected as a "McNaughton Pick" to notify libraries of noteworthy new titles. Details may be found in the "Bill's Books" section of my Web site (scroll down past the listing for Autism and the God Connection).

I will be making a presentation and book signing at the ChildSpirit Institute's "Sending Our Love to the Future" conference this November in Chattanooga, Tennessee. (Check my presentation schedule for details.)

Also forthcoming is my "Understanding Autism" guide commissioned by The Thoughtful Christian, a Web-based theological training and resource organization.

Finally, a number of updates to my Web site, www.williamstillman.com, include the opportunity for long-distance or out-of-state phone consultations. Posted to the "Bill's Archived Articles" section is the document "Presuming Intellect," a version of which will be published early next year in Mothering magazine, as well as an article titled "Challenging Autism's Outdated Paradigms: Starting with Myself" written by Gromis, an up-and-coming author in the field.

My grateful thanks to all for the lovely sentiments, gentle camaraderie, and fine support of my endeavors.

Bill

StillmanAutism Spectrum Self-Advocate, Author, and Consultantwww.williamstillman.com

A Collaborative Conference on Autism with Low Incidence Disabilities

This unique conference addresses the addresses the needs of complex learners with autism and sensory impairments (visual and hearing impairments, deafblind and other disabilities). Sessions will provide an overview of co-occurring disabilities, definitions, characteristics as well as assessment and evaluation processes and evidence-based practices. In addition, a team-based comprehensive planning process to support students across settings will be provided. Parents, Professionals, and School Teams are encouraged to attend!

Monday, July 30 - Wednesday, August 1, 2007The Crowne Plaza Columbus North (formerly The Columbus Marriott North)6500 Doubletree Ave., Columbus, OH 43229Regular Registration - May 19 - July 20, 2007 - $175.00

During the conference the authors of the Ziggurat Model (http://www.asperger.net/bookstore_9971.htm), Ruth Aspy, Ph.D. and Barry Grossman, Ph.D., will present on designing behavioral interventions for students with autism and sensory impairments using a process planning model.

Sponsored by:Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence (OCALI)Ohio School for the DeafOhio State School for the BlindOhio Center for Deafblind Education

Click here for more information: http://www.ocali.org/collaborative/

STEPS Center for Excellence in Autism

Grand Opening

OPEN HOUSE

Thursday June 28th

6:00pm-9:00pm

1433 West Bagley Rd

Suite 400

Berea, OH 44013

Please RSVP: 440-377-0029

admin@...

Smooth as SILC: An Introduction to Statewide Independent Living Councils

The IL NET is a partnership of ILRU and NCIL. On-line courses are offered with the on-line facilitation support of Utah State University.

REGISTRATION DEADLINE: July 9, 2007 COURSE DATES: July 23 - August 10, 2007 ORIENTATION TELECONFERENCE FOR STUDENTS: July 19, 2007

TARGET AUDIENCE: SILC executives, staff, and members. This is a beginning to intermediate level course.

PURPOSE: This three-week distance learning course orients members of SILCs to the laws and regulations that guide their daily activities. In addition, it applies the principles and philosophy of independent living to situations commonly encountered by statewide independent living councils.

COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion, participants will 1) be aware of how the SILC fits into independent living, the Rehab Act, and the Workforce Investment Act; 2) know the history and philosophy of independent living; 3) understand the composition and duties of the SILC; 4) realize how SILC activities are funded; 5) appreciate need to cooperate, coordinate and collaborate with all IL providers; and 6) understand how to organize and plan for change.

The course utilizes a participant manual and the Internet for participant interaction. The participant manual is designed to provide sufficient background information to make it possible for all students to assume an active role in online discussions. The centerpiece of the manual will be a series of scenarios and exercises, most of which will be assigned for discussion and debate. Additional readings and videotapes will be recommended, but not required, to enhance the participant's understanding of the topic.

FORMAT: The course spans three weeks and uses a Web site to engage participants in discussion of the content and issues. The instructor is available to lead the forum on the Web site and for technical assistance throughout the course. Participants are asked to read the assignments, review scenarios that address course content, and engage in the online class message forums. Participants will devote an average of 3-5 hours per week to assignments and activities.

THE INSTRUCTOR: Bob s is a long-time consultant and trainer for the independent living field. s provides considerable training and technical assistance to the field through the Independent Living Research Utilization (ILRU) Program.

A full course calendar is on the ILRU Web site at http://www.ilru.org/html/training/online/index.html

REGISTRATION: You may register online or by mail. The online registration form is located at: http://www.ilru.org/html/forms/online_registration.htm The mailing address for registration is ILRU/ONLINE LEARNING 2323 S Shepherd, Suite 1000 Houston, TX 77019

See ILRU policies for Multiple Participants from the Same Organization, Notification of Acceptance, and Refunds/Cancellations at: http://www.ilru.org/html/training/online/onlinefaq.html

METHOD OF PAYMENT: Payment may be made by credit card through the Web site at the time of registration. Credit card orders are also accepted by phone at 713.520.0232 ext. 130. Do not send credit card information by e-mail, since such transactions are not secure. Checks or money orders are also accepted and should be mailed with a completed registration form. Return your completed registration form and payment to the address shown above.

COURSE FEES: The course fee is $65 per participant.

MORE INFORMATION YOU CAN USE:

How does an online course work?: http://www.ilru.org/html/training/online/online_work.htm

eTips for online courses--written by the instructors: http://www.ilru.org/html/training/online/etips.htm

Frequently Asked Questions about taking an online course/training http://www.ilru.org/html/training/online/onlinefaq.html

ONLINE COURSES FROM ILRU: This online course is presented by the IL NET, the national training and technical assistance project for centers for independent living and statewide independent living councils.

The IL NET is operated by the Independent Living Research Utilization (ILRU) Program at Memorial Hermann | TIRR in partnership with the National Council on Independent Living (NCIL). Online course implementation is facilitated by the Interdisciplinary Training Division of the Center for Persons with Disabilities, Utah State University.

OTHER QUESTIONS: Contact Dawn Heinsohn at ILRU, (713) 520-0232 ext. 130 or heinsohn@...

The Call for Volunteers for the 2007 NATTAP Conference is now open!

Volunteers agree to work one full day (7:00 am – 4:30 pm) of the conference and receive complimentary registration for the other two days.

Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis with preference given to graduate and undergraduate students and parents/family members.

Volunteers will be assigned to a specific area of the conference center for the entire day. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: assisting speakers as necessary, collecting session evaluations and providing general information to Conference attendees. Please note: volunteers will be on their feet and actively moving for most of the day. Comfortable footwear is highly recommended.

Volunteers are responsible for covering all expenses associated with attending the conference, including but not limited to: travel/transportation, meals, lodging, etc.

Volunteers will be provided a Conference Volunteer t-shirt and be expected to wear the shirt during their assigned day.

Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.

Volunteers will be required to attend a Volunteer Orientation on Tuesday, September 25, 2007, from 4:00 – 6:00 pm at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.

Only online volunteer applications will be accepted.

Notification (accepted or declined) will be sent by July 31, 2007.

Volunteer at [ http://www.ocali.org/nattap2007 ]

2007 ASA National Conference Online Registration Now Open

Join over 1200 attendees at this year's 38th ASA NationalConference July 11 - 14, 2007, in sdale, Arizona. Mark yourcalendars and be sure to attend this conference. You won't want tomiss this. Hosted at the Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, theconference convenes top experts in autism with professionals, familymembers, individuals on the spectrum and service providers from allaround the world. For a full list of all the conference sessions go towww.autism-society.org/conference.Over 110 concurrent sessions and 4 keynotes will cover:* Behavior Issues & Support* Communication* Early Intervention* Education* Family & Sibling Support* Medicine & Research* Personal Perspectives* Sensory Processing* Social Skills* Technology* Transition Planning for AdultsNew! This year a special Continuing Medical Education (CME) track willbe available for medical professionals on Saturday, July 14.Course Title: "Clinical Implications of Environmental Toxicology forChildren's Neurodevelopment in Autism 2"Program Directors:* Martha Herbert, MD, PhD Harvard MassGeneral Hospital* Hendren, DO UC M.I.N.D. InstituteSpeakers:* Jill , PhD* Isaac Pessah, MD* Hendren, DO* Bock, MD* Jepson, MD* Harland Winter, MD* Wakefield, MDThere is an additional fee for this CME session. For a full list ofall the conference sessions go to www.autism-society.org/conference .Time to Celebrate! If you are in Arizona or at the conference be sureto purchase your ticket for the ASA Evening of Champions Gala & Silent Auction on Friday, July 13 from 6pm to 11pm at the conferencesite, The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, in sdale, Arizona. Itis a night to honor and unwind, see old friends and meet new ones.This year's champions include:* Autism Research Institute (ARI)* Temple Grandin, PhD, author* Jim , PhD, President ASA Greater Phoenix, Board Member,Autism Research Institute* Resnick, founder, SARRC* NARPAA* NATTAP* UC MIND InstituteTickets are $85 and corporate tables are available. This will be a funnight for all with a silent auction, dancing and much more.Professionals, family members and children as well as communitysupporters are invited to attend.* Other national awards are presented throughout the conference.For more information please call 301.657.0881 ext. 7 or e-mailconference@...We look forward to seeing you there!

Autism Society of Greater Cleveland

Their June newsletter is now available. To see it an all the other great activities of the ASGC, visit their website at www.asgc.org.

OPERATION ADVENTURE

A Camp Experience for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders

August 6 – 10, 2007

Boys and Girls - Ages 10 – 14 years old

Camp being held at: Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Peninsula, Ohio

Sponsored by Angels for Autism

Hosted by Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence

For more information, please contact: Jill Hudson at Jill_Hudson@...

Print off your camper application from: Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence

www.ocali.org

Space is limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis by received completed application form and deposit. Register today!

NEW BOOK FROM AAPC - Sharing Information About Your Child with Autism Spectrum Disorders

Sharing Information About Your Child with Autism Spectrum Disorders: What Do Respite or Alternative Caregivers Need to Know by Beverly Vicker, M.S.; foreword by Ackerson Lieberman, MS, LCSW

$24.95

http://www.asperger.net/bookstore_9983.htm

Leaving a child with a paid respite care worker, friend, neighbor, or even an extended family member, represents a potentially stressful situation for parents of children who have an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or any other developmental challenge. Sharing Information About Your Child with Autism Spectrum Disorders: What Do Respite or Alternative Caregivers Need to Know eases some of the apprehensions associated with parents communicating their child’s behavior, daily living patterns and food rituals to a person who is not familiar with the child. A caregiver might forget important verbal suggestions from the parents, but if the information is written down, the caregiver has a backup resource to aid his or her memory recall while the parents are away.

Sharing Information about Your Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder is broken down into five sections. The first section describes how parents can document their child’s medical issues, preferences, skill levels, and other information. The second section consists of short handouts that can help respite workers understand general topics such as the importance of routines or relaxation strategies. In the third section, case studies illustrate, for example, how information about behavior and positive behavior supports might be shared, in a written format, between a parent and respite worker. Section 4 contains blank forms for parents to use for paper-and-pencil preparation of information material. In addition, an accompanying CD allows parents to use their computer to prepare the information sheets and to print the supplementary handouts. Updating information is especially easy when the computer option is used. Section 5 provides references and suggested reading or viewing material.

No other book leads parents through this process of information sharing like Sharing Information about Your Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder. It is very challenging to prepare someone for the task of childcare; this book helps parents to remember to share the important “stuff†about their particular child.

Heart of Sailing - education and recreational therapy for to special needs children

Greetings from Heart of Sailing, Heart of Sailing is an non profit organization that introduces sailing to special needs children as form of education and recreational therapy. I would like to invite you to sail with us in Boston, to check for yourself how sailing is so therapeutic and so much fun for you and your child or for the whole family. It is an experience that is so unique and so therapeutic in so many different areas, that you will be amazed by your child reactions. Please ask questions to the thousand who sailed with us before and let them tell you how they liked it or read the feedback from participants, parents or caregivers at:http://heartofsailing.org/parentcomments.asp You can check articles written about our Daysails at: http://heartofsailing.org/newsletter.asp Check the pictures at:http://heartofsailing.org/Daysailpictures.asp Check our schedule at: http://heartofsailing.org/Sailwithus.asp Please check our Web Site at www.heartofsailing.org to see what we do, and you can reach me at anytime by email or by phone at the number below.Thank you for your time and I hope to sail with you soon, SaidahFounder and Executive DirectorHeart of Sailing(812) 935-7245Fax (866) 609-0807gsaidah@...www.heartofsailing.org

New Handbook from CareStar regarding the Home Care Program

A new Handbook from CareStar regarding the Home Care Program is now available and follows this message. For additional information on the CareStar program, visit http://carestar.com/ohio/default.asp

This is important reading for anyone receiving “Core Servicesâ€, the Transitions Waiver or the Home Care Waiver.

We suggest the professionals in MR/DD services also read the attached so that they can properly direct individuals and their families to Job and Family Support administered services.

-------------------

Consumer Handbook

Welcome The Ohio Home Care Program (Ohiohcp) wants you to be successful as a Consumer of services. Therefore, this handbook was designed for your use. We hope you find it helpful. Please review the material and feel free to contact us with any questions or comments.

What is the Ohio Home Care Program (OHC)? The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) administers the Ohio Home Care Program through the Bureau of Home and Community Services (BHCS).

The Department of Job and Family Services has contracted with CareStar, a privately owned business, to provide case management for the Ohio Home Care Program. Case management will assist to improve access to and delivery of home health services. The Ohio Home Care Program will provide you with a Case Manager and a list of service providers and community resources to help you in your home care choices. There is no charge to the consumer for the case management services of the OHC Program. The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services has provided this for you to ensure that you have access to the needed services.

Your Case Manager (CM) will act as a Team Leader to coordinate services and systems so that you have access to the services needed to keep you safely in the community. Case Management promotes self-sufficiency and personal responsibility by encouraging you to actively participate in the planning and delivering of home health services.

The OHC Program will continuously monitor the effectiveness of your home health services and with your involvement make changes necessary to achieve positive outcomes. Those individuals and agencies, paid and non-paid, that contribute to your care will be expected to serve as contributing members on your Home Care Team

Consumer Responsibilities We consider you the DIRECTOR of your Ohio Home Care Program Services. When you are well informed, participate in care decisions, and communicate openly with team members, your services will be as effective as possible.

The following is a statement of the responsibilities of individuals receiving Case Management Services. Consumers/Guardians of The Ohio Home Care Program should: • Communicate openly and honestly with Case Managers, Providers, and other members of the Home Care Team • Provide accurate and complete information. • Actively participate in the planning, implementation, and resolution of any problems or concerns. • Inform your Case Manager if problems or concerns arise and before you initiate any changes regarding your choice of providers or need of services. • ate with your home care team toward the resolution of any problem or concern. • Refuse participation in any fraudulent or dishonest practices by providers, caregivers and any team members. Consumer Rights The following is a statement of the rights of individuals receiving case management services. This is an outline of the basic tenets that should be followed in providing services. All individuals who receive services funded by Ohio Department of Job and Family Services are entitled to the following rights.

Consumers of Ohio Home Care Programs have:

1. The right to be fully informed of all rights and responsibilities.

2. To be treated with dignity and respect.

3. The right to have services/supports explained to you by the Case Management Agency (CMA) so that you can understand them.

4. The right to receive a timely response from the CMA.

5. The right to be protected from abuse, neglect, and mistreatment.

6. The rights to be kept informed and receive accurate and easily understood information.

7. The right to choose an authorized Medicaid approved provider that will provide appropriate high-quality services.

8. The right to talk in confidence and have health care information protected.

9. The right to self-determination and participation in the development of the all services plan.

10. The right to voice complaints and suggest changes in service or staff without fear of restraint or discrimination.

11. The right to question the process for any decision related to eligibility or funding from ODJFS by filing an appeal.

12. The right to see any files/records related to health care.

13. The right to be fully informed of the ODJFS agency departments established to receive complaints or inquiries. (OJDFS, Bureau of Home and Community Services: (614) 466-6742 and ODJFS, Consumer Hot Line: (800) 324-8680).

Program Overviews Ohio Home Care Waiver ... is the benefit package which consists of nursing services, personal care assistance services and/or skilled therapy services plus one or more waiver specific service such as: home modifications, home delivered meals, adult day health care, respite care, supplemental transportation, adaptive/assistive devices, and emergency response systems. It is designed to meet the needs of consumers eligible for Medicaid who have been assessed to require an intermediate or skilled level of care. Without the services available through the Waiver benefit, these consumers are at risk for hospital or nursing home placement. Consumers approved for the OHC Waiver benefit may receive care and services at home or they may choose to receive their care in a nursing facility.

Transitions MRDD Waiver … is the benefit package which consists of all of the services as listed above however it is designed to meet the needs of consumers eligible for Medicaid who have been assessed to require an ICFMR/DD (intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded/ developmentally delayed) level of care. This Waiver is not open to new enrollees. You must first be on the OHC Waiver and be “transitioned†due to level of care considerations.

Transitions Carve Out Waiver…is the benefit package which consists of all of the services as listed above however it is designed to meet the needs of consumers who are age 60 and over. Eligibility criteria requires having either an intermediate or skilled level of care. This Waiver is not open to new enrollees. You must first be on the OHC Waiver and be “transitioned†due reaching age 60.

Home Care Options For consumers receiving Ohio, Home Care, Transitions Carve-Out and Transitions MR/DD Waivers, the following may apply:

Skilled Therapy, Skilled Nursing and Personal Care Assistance services may be provided by a Medicare Certified Home Health Agency.

Skilled Nursing services and Personal Care Assistance services may be provided by a Medicare Certified Home Health Agency, a JCAHO accredited agency or a CHAP accredited agency.

Skilled Therapy services may be provided by any family member if they do so as an employee of a Medicare Certified Home Health Agency.

Skilled Nursing services may be provided by any qualified family member if they do so as an employee or a Medicare Certified Home Health Agency, a JCAHO accredited agency or a CHAP accredited agency.

For consumers receiving Ohio Home Care and Transitions Carve-Out Waivers, the following may apply:

Skilled Nursing services and Personal Care Assistance Services may be provided by a family member as a non-agency provider if the family member is: -Not the consumer’s legally responsible party (spouse, parent of a minor, or legal guardian) -Not the consumer’s foster parent

For consumer’s receiving Transitions MR/DD Waiver, the following may apply:

Skilled Nursing and Personal Care Assistance services may be provided by a non-agency provider who is not the consumer’s immediate relative including: husband or wife; birth or adoptive parent, child or sibling; stepparent, stepchild, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, or half-sister; father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law or sister-in-law; grandparent or grandchild; or spouse of grandparent or grandchild.

Home Care Providers There are generally three types of home care providers: agency providers, Waiver service providers, and Non-agency providers.

AGENCIES Home care agencies are companies that have a provider agreement with the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services and have been issued a Medicaid provider number. They must be either Medicare certified or accredited by JCAHO or CHAP. As such, they must provide services according to established standards of practice. They are reviewed periodically to ensure that they are following Medicare guidelines and/or the accreditation standards. Agencies must provide supervision and training of Licensed Practical Nurses and Personal Care Assistance service providers (home health aides). They have liability insurance and their employees are covered under Workers Compensation and are usually bonded against loss of property. Agencies are the employer of the individuals performing the in-home services. As such, they handle all employment activities including hiring, firing, scheduling, and paying. JCAHO and CHAP accredited agencies may not provide all services to all consumers. It is necessary to have all agency services authorized by your Case Manager before the services are provided.

WAIVER SERVICES PROVIDERS Waiver services providers are companies that provide the additional services available only to Waiver consumers including: home delivered meals, emergency response systems, supplemental transportation, home modifications, adaptive/assistive devices, adult day health care, and out-of-home respite. They have a contract with the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services as an established business with a Medicaid provider number. The individuals that deliver meals, install emergency response systems, or etc are employees of that business. The management of that business must fulfill all employment responsibilities including hiring, firing, supervising, scheduling and paying. Only approved Medicaid Waiver providers can provide Waiver services and all such services must be prior authorized by your Case Manager.

NON-AGENCY PROVIDERS Individuals may obtain a Medicaid provider number from the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. They are then eligible to provide home care services directly to the consumer. These individuals are contracted by ODJFS so they are essentially self-employed. They are responsible for their own billing, taxes, etc. The consumer provides direct supervision for the non-agency provider. The Ohio Home Care Program provides some oversight and monitoring. All Non-Agency Nurse providers must have a current license and adhere to the standards established by the Ohio Nursing Board. Non-agency Personal Care Assistance providers must have completed either:

• home health aide training program and competency evaluation (HHA), • nursing home training program and competency evaluation (STNA), or • consumer specific training option

All Non-Agency Providers must complete an annual criminal background investigation and structural review as part of Case Management monitoring.

Non-agency providers must understand and follow the rules and Conditions of Participation that have been established by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. If a consumer chooses to receive services from a non-agency provider he/she must be willing to: • Participate in development of his/her All Services Plan • Participate in selection of service providers • Select, evaluate and dismiss non-agency provider • Participate in the training and supervision of non-agency providers • Obtain Case Manager approval before adding or making changes in providers or services • Approve individual provider time sheets in writing • Develop a back-up plan for individual provider absences and emergencies and submit to the Case Manager • Notify the CM if any problems or concerns arise • Demonstrate to the Case Manager that there are sufficient skills to direct his/her own care. Provider Management ServicesThe Ohio Home Care Program assists those individuals and agencies that provide Medicaid services to consumers through the following areas:

Provider Enrollment assists in the identification and utilization of qualified Medicaid providers by: • Helping consumers and provider applicants understand the Ohio Home Care Rules and the enrollment process • Assisting applicants with the completion of the Medicaid Provider Application and forwarding the completed application to the State for issuance of a Medicaid Provider Number. • Maintaining a database of active Medicaid providers and making this database accessible to consumers • Identifying under-served areas and recruiting service providers to better meet consumer needs • Supply education to the providers to assure their continued participation in the Ohio Home Care Program Provider Monitoring assists in assuring that providers are in compliance with State program requirements and directives by: • Completing an annual structural review for every non-agency provider which includes an audit of the provider’s billing and a review of the provider’s performance • Tracking the updated/annual criminal background check • Assuring compliance with plans of corrections submitted by providers in response to identified need for performance improvement Incident Investigation and Reporting provides assurance that consumers are protected from situations that may result in harm, injury or loss by: • Investigating consumer incidents and provider occurrences for substantiation of risk, identification of violation and violator, establishment of a prevention plan and a provider plan of correction, when appropriate • Reviewing incidents and occurrences for patterns and trends that may identify the need for further education, processes, or regulation • Completing reports and making recommendations to assist the State with the assuring that consumers receive appropriate services and are protected from harm

Commonly Asked Questions 1. Who will be my OHC Case Manager? 2. When should I call my OHC Case Manager? 3. How do I reach my Case Manager? 4. How often will I receive a visit from my OHCP Case Manager? 5. What will my OHCP Case Manager help me do? 6. What is a Home Care Team?7. What are State Plan Home Care Services?8. What is the individual cost range?9. What are Personal Care Assistance Services?10. What is an All Services Plan?11. If I don’t use all the services or hours calculated in my monthly cost, can I save them for use in a future month?12. What should I do if my nurse or aide doesn’t arrive when I’m expecting him/her?13. Why do I need a back-up caregiver or plan?14. What should I do if I have a complaint about any of my services or providers?15. Can I choose my providers?16. What do I do if a service is denied, or a decision is made and I don’t agree?17. What if I’m not pleased with my Case Manager?18. Who should I call if I have an emergency?19. Will I have any privacy?20. Now that I have Case Management services, do I have to continue my involvement with the County Department of Job and Family Services?21. Will anyone other than my Case Manager check with me to see if I am satisfied with my home care?22. Do I have to have an OHCP Case Manager?23. I have the Waiver with a “patient liabilityâ€. What does this mean?

1. Who will be my OHC Case Manager? Your Case Manager will be a Registered Nurse or a Licensed Social Worker. He/she has completed special training to be able to coordinate the services that you may need. He/she will serve as the leader for your Home Care Team.

2. When should I call my OHC Case Manager? You should contact your OHC Case Manager when: • Your services are not meeting your needs • Your home situation changes • Your health changes, which includes an accident or fall • You make a trip to the emergency room or are treated for an infection • You are admitted to a hospital or nursing home • You are unhappy with a provider or a service • You want to change a provider or service • You have questions about community resources • You have any other concern or problem 3. How do I reach my Case Manager? You may contact your Case Manager by calling the office number The business hours are 8:00 am until 5:00 pm Monday – Friday; however, for urgent issues, follow the phone prompts to obtain after hours assistance. If your Case Manager is not in the office, you may leave a message on his/her voice mail or speak with a supervisor. Your Case Manager will give you his/her direct voice mail number written on pages 2 and 5. This gives you an opportunity to leave a message for him/her without speaking to office personnel. Case Managers respond to all voice messages by the end of the next business day. Urgent issues should be brought to the immediate attention of a supervisor.

4. How often will I receive a visit from my OHCP Case Manager? Your OHCP Case Manager will contact and visit you more frequently when you are first approved for the Ohio Home Care Waiver program, then the frequency of visits may be reduced. If a problem occurs, like a trip to the hospital, your Case Manager may make an extra visit. Your Case Manager will establish a schedule with you but never hesitate to call your Case Manager anytime you have any questions or concerns.

5. What will my OHCP Case Manager help me do? Depending on your program, your Case Manager can help you: • find a nurse or personal care assistance services provider or change to a different provider. • arrange for meals to be delivered or have an emergency response system installed if medically indicated. • coordinate respite care relief if there is an urgent need for the primary caregiver to be out of the home. • talk with school officials or community agencies to help resolve any troubling issues • inform you of your choices if your services or living arrangements are not meeting your needs. • assist in obtaining equipment, home modification and adaptive/assistive equipment.

6. What is a Home Care Team? The individuals and agencies that help you remain in your home make up your Home Care Team. In addition to you and your Ohio Home Care Program Case Manager, your Home Care Team will include all of your Medicaid providers, other community resources, family member and volunteers.

7. What are State Plan Home Care Services? State Plan Services are nursing services, personal care assistance services, and Skilled therapy services available to all eligible Medicaid consumers.

8. What is the individual cost range? The Home Care Team establishes goals and identifies services based on the consumer’s functional abilities, living conditions, and medical necessity. The cost range is the amount of money approved to be spent on your Medicaid home care needs for a specified period.

9. What are Personal Care Assistance Services? Personal Care Assistance services are services paid for by Medicaid, which assist consumers in carrying out the normal activities of daily life. They are activities that would typically be self performed if functional ability was present. They may include: bathing, dressing, grooming, hair care, oral hygiene, skin care, feeding, toileting, assisting with walking, positioning, and transfers. General household activities that are essential to the consumer’s health and safety, such as, preparation and cleanup of meals, laundry, bed making, dusting, vacuuming, errands and other routine chores may also be included.

10. What is an All Services Plan? This is the document that you and your Case Manager develop with the input of the Home care Team. The All Services Plan (ASP) lists your goals, the needed services, the service providers, the cost of services and who is liable for payment, your decision regarding consumer options, and your home care team members. The All Services Plan is used by your providers as authorization for their billing. It is important that the consumer and providers receive a copy of the All Services Plan and understand its contents.

11. If I don’t use all the services or hours calculated in my monthly cost, can I save them for use in a future month? No! The services must be provided as stated on the All Services Plan because they were determined to be medically necessary. There is no “banking†of hours; however, if in a future month a need develops, the All Service Plan can be adjusted.

12. What should I do if my nurse or aide doesn’t arrive when I’m expecting him/her? If your service is provided by an agency, call the agency. Do not delay. They may have back-up help available or assist you with other arrangements. If any provider including a Non-Agency Provider does not show up to provide services, call the provider, notify your Case Manager and go to your back-up plan.

13. Why do I need a back-up caregiver or plan? Unforeseen circumstances, such as, sickness and inclement weather may prevent your nurse or aide from providing services. Be prepared and do not risk your safety.

14. What should I do if I have a complaint about any of my services or providers? If you have a complaint, let the individual or agency know why you are not pleased. If the situation is not resolved contact your Case Manager.

15. Can I choose my providers? Yes! As director of your Home Care Team, it is very important that you have an opportunity to choose your team members. Your Case Manager can supply a listing of providers and will help you identify some important issues to consider when making such choices.

16. What do I do if a service is denied, or a decision is made and I don’t agree? The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services offers you an appeal process. You will receive a notice of the denial and be given an opportunity to appeal the decision at a State hearing. A form will be mailed to you called “Notice of Right to a State Hearing†for you to complete. Your Case Manager or Clinical Supervisor may assist you during this process. When you ask for an appeal, you will be given a chance to explain why you disagree in a hearing with an objective Hearing Officer. You will be assigned a time and date to attend a hearing at your local county office, or you can request to participate by telephone in the hearing from your home, if you are unable to leave your home. If you request a State hearing within 15 days of notification, your services may continue during the hearing process. Within a few weeks, the Hearing Office will mail you their decision. If you still disagree, you have the right to make an Administrative Appeal of their decision. For additional information, contact Ohio Legal Rights at 614-466-7264 or 1-800-282-9181.

17. What if I’m not pleased with my Case Manager? If you are not pleased with your Case Manager, please talk about your feelings with him/her. If you do not get the results you expect or if you are not comfortable talking with him/her, contact the Supervisor.

18. Who should I call if I have an emergency? If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911. Situations that cause you concern should be referred to your service provider and your Case Manager. It is best to bring these concerns to your Case Manager before they become an emergency.

19. Will I have any privacy? Receiving health related services in the community does involve allowing agencies and individuals access to your private home. This access should not exceed what is minimally necessary. Your records are protected by Case Management policy and federal standards (HIPAA) from any unauthorized or unnecessary disclosure.

20. Now that I have Case Management services, do I have to continue my involvement with the County Department of Job and Family Services? Yes! In order to receive Case Management services, you must be eligible for Ohio Medicaid. This is determined by the County Department of Job and Family Services. It is very important that you respond to any communication from the county and keep all appointments as scheduled.

21. Will anyone other than my Case Manager check with me to see if I am satisfied with my home care? OHC Quality Improvement and the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services will be making phone calls and conducting visits to consumers. You may be contacted. We welcome your involvement and value your opinion.

22. Do I have to have an OHCP Case Manager? The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services and OHCP must follow the rules that govern the Ohio Home Care Program. The frequency of contacts and home visits are included in these rules.

23. I have the Waiver with a “patient liabilityâ€. What does this mean? When the County Department of Job and Family Services determines financial eligibility and it is found that the monthly income exceeds the allowable amount, a patient liability is assessed. This is the amount of money that you will need to spend out of your pocket toward your needed Waiver services. Your Case Manager will assist you in identifying which service and provider will receive your liability payment. You will receive your Medicaid card on the first of the month automatically.

Complaints If at any time you have a complaint about one of your providers or CareStar you should first talk with:

Your Case ManagerIf you are not satisfied with his/her response, address your concern(s) to:

Clinical Supervisor, is available at your Regional Officesee Contact US for numbers Clinical Manager, is available at your Regional Office, see Contact US for numbers

Director of Clinical Services,Deborah at 614-751-7777 or 1-800-616-3718 EXT 3124 or email dwilson@...

Director of Program Management,Daryl Shrider at 614-751-7777 or 1-800-616-3718 EXT 3119 or email dshrider@...

Director of Provider Management, Arnoczky at 614-751-7777 or 1-800-616-3718 EXT 3121 or email sarnoczky@...

If your concern is still not resolved contact:Director of Operations, Carol Price at 614-751-7777or 1-800-616-3718 EXT 3122 or email cprice@...

Autism Safety ToolkitAutism presents a unique set of safety concerns for parents.Unlocking Autism and National Autism Association have teamed up to provide the following safety information for parents. If you have suggestions or additions that you would like to submit for this page, please email nancale@....In a recent online survey conducted by NAA, an incredible 92% of the respondents said their autistic child was at risk of wandering. This is a problem that must be addressed in every city and town across America. Please review the following information and contact your local first responders to get a plan in place for your child and others who may be at risk in your community. Are You Prepared for a Autism Emergency?

To ensure safety and lower risk for a child or adult with autism, parents and care providers will need to become proactive and prepare an informational handout.A leading cause for concern are children and adults who run away or wander from parents and care providers. Tragically, children and adults with autism are often attracted to water sources such as pools, ponds, and lakes. Drowning is a leading cause of death for a child or adult who has autism.Wandering can occur anywhere at anytime. The first time is often the worst time. Another concern is preparation in the event that you become incapacitated or injured while caring for a person with autism at home or in the community.An informational handout should be developed, copied and carried with you at all times--at home, in your car, purse or wallet. Also circulate this handout to family members, trusted neighbors, friends and co-workers. The handout will also come in handy if you are in an area other than your neighborhood and are approached by the police.If wandering is a concern, contact law enforcement, fire and ambulance agencies. Ask your local 911 call center to "red flag" this information in their 911 computer data base. Dispatchers can alert patrol officers about your concerns before they arrive. When we provide law enforcement with key information before an incident occurs, we can expect better responses. Alert your neighborsThe behaviors and characteristics of autism have the potential to attract attention from the public. Law enforcement professionals suggest that you reach out and get to know your neighbors. • Decide what information to present to neighbors • Does your child have a fear of cars and animals or is he drawn to them? • Is your child a wanderer or runner? • Does he respond to his name or would a stranger think he is deaf? • Plan a brief visit to your neighbors • Introduce your child or adult or provide a photograph • If a neighbor spots your child outside of your yard, what is the best way for them to get your child back to you? • Are there sensory issues your neighbors should know about? • Give your neighbor a simple handout with your name, address, and phone number. Ask them to call you immediately if they see your son or daughter outside the home. This approach may be a good way to avoid problems down the road and will let your neighbors: • Know the reason for unusual behaviors • Know that you are approachable • Have the opportunity to call you before they call 911Knowing your neighbors can lead to better social interactions for your loved ones with autism.Prevention If wandering is an issue for your family, consider contacting a professional locksmith, security company or home improvement professional.Autism Emergency Contact Handout Model • Name of child or adult • Current photograph and physical description including height, weight, eye and hair color, any scars or other identifying marks • Identify your child's favorite song, toy or character • Names, home, cell and pager phone numbers and addresses of parents, other caregivers and emergency contact persons • Sensory, medical, or dietary issues and requirements, if any • Inclination for elopement and any atypical behaviors or characteristics that may attract attention • Favorite attractions and locations where person may be found • Likes, dislikes--approach and de-escalation techniques • A list of things that frighten your child • Method of communication, if non-verbal †sign language, picture boards, written word • ID wear †jewelry, tags on clothes, printed handout card • Map and address guide to nearby properties with water sources and dangerous locations highlighted • Blueprint or drawing of home, with bedrooms of individual highlighted

For more information, visit http://www.autismriskmanagement.com/ - by Dennis Debbaudt © 2005

Provide local first responders with information on your child.http://www.papremisealert.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/responder.pdfFill out and print this form from Pennsylvania Premise Alert, then deliver it to your local police and fire departments. Teach your child to swim.Too often children with autism who wander are attracted to water. Be sure your child knows how to swim unassisted. Swimming lessons for children with special needs are available at many YMCA locations. The final lesson should be with clothes on. Get an ID Bracelet for your child.Include your name and telephone number. State that your child has autism and is non-verbal if applicable. Here are some examples.http://www.medicalidstore.com/http://www.mypreciouskid.com/medical-id-bracelet.htmlIf your child will not wear a bracelet or necklace, consider a temporary tattoo with your contact information. Tattoos with a Purpose are available at http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/products.php?cat=48 Consider a personal tracking device.Gemini GPS Tracking Unithttp://www.geminitracking.com/Personal GPS tracking device works with your computer or mobile phone. Monthly service fee.Ion Kids Tracking Wristbandhttp://www.nationalautismassociation.org/products.php?cat=34http://www.ion-kids.comProvides notification to parent when child wanders past a pre-set distance. Allows parent to track child while still within a 500 sq. yard area. Waterproof wristbands are available.Project Lifesaver Tracking Systemshttp://www.projectlifesaver.orgProject Lifesaver works in coordination with local rescue personnel. Search equipment is housed and maintained by local police or fire departments. At-risk individuals are provided with a transmitter wristband which is replaced monthly. Initial setup and personnel training costs approximately $7,000. For a program DVD and package to present to your local first responders, please contact Project Lifesaver at www.projectlifesaver.org.Recent article about Project Lifesaver Tracking Systemhttp://www.nj.com/news/gloucester/local/index.ssf?/base/news-6/1180077153288140.xml & coll=8Care Trak Transmittershttp://caretrak.com/Care Trak utilizes the same technology as Project Lifesaver, but tracking equipment is operated by the caregiver and not local law enforcement or first responders.Angel Alert Child Distance Monitorhttp://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?cpncode=11-29124948-2 & dest=9999999997 & product_id=2476229 & sourceid=1500000000000002993980 & srccode=cii_16435691 Secure Your HomePrevent your child from slipping outside unnoticed by: • Installing secure deadbolt locks that require keys on both sides • Install a home security alarm system • Install inexpensive battery-operated alarms on doors and windows to alert you when they are opened - for an example visit: http://www.mypreciouskid.com/wireless-door-alarm.html. These are available at stores like WalMart and Radio Shack. • Place hook and eye locks on all doors, above your child's reach • Fence your yardHelpful Links - Please visit these websites for more safety ideas.Autism Risk Managementhttp://www.autismriskmanagement.com/Pennsylvania Premise Alerthttp://www.papremisealert.com/ The Premise Alert Program gives families the opportunity to provide critical medical information to first responders before a crisis. Families can have a difficult time relating necessary information in times of extreme stress. This program also gives first responders advanced knowledge of special needs individuals in their community allowing them to respond with greater accuracy which increases positive outcomes.The Law Enforcement Awareness Networkhttp://www.leanonus.orgIt is the mission of L.E.A.N. On Us to provide first responders with information and resources that will allow them to better serve individuals within their communities affected by hidden disabilities and mental illness.My Precious Kidhttp://www.mypreciouskid.com/Child Safety ProductsTips for First Respondershttp://cdd.unm.edu/products/tips_web020205.pdfService Dogshttp://autismservicedogsofamerica.com/http://www.4pawsforability.org/autismdogs.htm Tips From ParentsI come from a large family and we have instituted a "hand-off" process with Luke - when we are at family gatherings, you look the person in the eye, ask them if they have Luke and they confirm. At that point, that person knows their primary responsibility is Luke, not side conversations etc. We put this in place after Luke managed to find his way out of a house filled with 32 people. It was winter and the neighbors spotted him running thru the woods - no shoes, no jacket, and they grabbed him. I have also put hook locks on all of the doors which at the moment he can't reach.---------------------------Get double key sided dead bolts for every out going door in your house or apt. Never let your child see where the keys are kept. My son has attempted to get out that way. He knew exactly what key to use. Never underestimate your child with autism.---------------------------I spoke to all the county firemen and EMT on search and rescue of an Autistic child. I quickly covered tons of material and I also stressed that from everything I have gathered, drowning seems to be the number one cause of accidental death in Autistic children. I stressed to them time and time again, that each and every near water source should be checked as a first priority. I went into full detail about all the other places they could hide…If injured how they more than likely could not respond to EMT questions etc. etc. It was only 2 months later did they get to test their new found knowledge. A 4 year old ASD child wondered off from his house, his parents called 911 after about a 20 minute search. The Fire Dept followed my advice and found him in less than 10 minutes standing on the edge of the River Bank. He was safe and not to happy about leaving the waters edge. The towns Fire Chief called me after the fact and gave me the news. He said that without learning these things, he would have instructed all his men to search the parks and ball diamond first, in the opposite direction of the river!, instead he sent a few to the park and the others to the swimming pool, river and sewer treatment facility.My point is, just one hour with a group of firemen probably saved the life of a child. I volunteered my time, no experts where hired and not a dime was spent. If we can get others to do the same, what a huge difference it could make for the ASD community.-----------------------------I recently came up with an idea of making magnets with my daughters picture and my husbands and my cell phone on it. I plan on making cookies and going door to door in my neighborhood with both of these. I plan on talking to my neighbors personally, and just saying "hi" and letting them know my daughter has autism and where we live. I plan on leaving them with cookies in the hopes that if they see chrissy, they will offer her a cookie and take her into their car, home and call me.I have had issues with flight risk behavior and my neighbors have had chrissy walk into their home and start eating ice cream out of their freezer and they didn't know what to do. The next time she tried to do this, they actually would not let her in the house and this was very dangerous!! I have felt weird about talking to my neighbors so I came up with this idea. I hope this idea makes in into your kit, our behavioral supervisor thought it was a great idea and after the news on Benjy, I am going to stop stalling and do it asap.See what's free at AOL.com.