RemedySpot.com

Re: Can anyone HELP!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

other things that work since your child is 6 these are age appropriate. Behavior chart-Say "You can have candy when" i.e. you get 3 stars, you finish your dinner or whatever the goal is. When your child does reach their goal say I am so proud of you -------------- you did x and now you have earned ------------------. Another way to get away from the candy is to find another activity thatyour child enjoys a game or movie or try a craft activity. Food can become a real problem as autistic kids get older. The important thing in all of this is to try to make your child understand that s/he received the item not b/c you like them but b/c they earned it through their good behavior. I know this all sounds so easy I am SPEDTutor in a local school system and getting my masters in Sped. More importantly. My brother is autistic and very low functioning I am his guardian and sometimes I just chuckle inside when I am in IEP meetings and the teachers act as if everything is SO EASY. The best one was when he was ripping his clothes the Psych and teacher decided that he could just sit naked in his group home if was going to rip his clothes Brilliant! like I am really going to allow him to do that-needless to say it did not happen. I wonder how long some people would last if they had to care for an autistic person 24/7. Sometimes you wonder where their ideas come from. The best advice is to keep a good group of people around you and take advantage of respite careGet a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/24/2007 2:38:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Eolanders@... writes:

other things that work since your child is 6 these are age appropriate. Behavior chart-Say "You can have candy when" i.e. you get 3 stars, you finish your dinner or whatever the goal is. When your child does reach their goal say I am so proud of you -------------- you did x and now you have earned ------------------. Another way to get away from the candy is to find another activity thatyour child enjoys a game or movie or try a craft activity. Food can become a real problem as autistic kids get older. The important thing in all of this is to try to make your child understand that s/he received the item not b/c you like them but b/c they earned it through their good behavior. I know this all sounds so easy I am SPEDTutor in a local school system and getting my masters in Sped. More importantly. My brother is autistic and very low functioning I am his guardian and sometimes I just chuckle inside when I am in IEP meetings and the teachers act as if everything is SO EASY. The best one was when he was ripping his clothes the Psych and teacher decided that he could just sit naked in his group home if was going to rip his clothes Brilliant! like I am really going to allow him to do that-needless to say it did not happen. I wonder how long some people would last if they had to care for an autistic person 24/7. Sometimes you wonder where their ideas come from. The best advice is to keep a good group of people around you and take advantage of respite care

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

Guest guest

I do use the "first - then" also.... it works very well.... I do use visual supports with this if having difficulty, and get better compliance usually. I do say no to my son and he is OK with it as long as it is presented in a neutral way. I think a social story would be an excellent way to talk about boundaries - with pictures, simple sentences, lots of positives, etc. I do hope that parents out there will share their strategies with us so that we can have them "handy" for when we need them! melissa dlugolinski <mads3gs@...> wrote: Barb, my 6 yr old doesnt respond to no very well either. I get the same reactions. Some advice to me was to try to correct what she was doing wrong with what she SHOULD be doing. Instead of no you cant have candy, it's... first you need to eat your dinner, then you can have a piece of candy. I try to avoid the word "NO" all together. I would love to hear some other advice on this topic myself. Good Luck!!!BARBARA COINER <barbcoinersbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: I have a six year old son who has ASD. He is I guess a little high functioning. Any

way, he is at a stage where he is "smart mouthed" and has even thrown thingns at me twice in 2 weeks for telling him NO to something. He has never acted this way before and does not and will not do it to his dad. He has however gotten mad recently at his dad and told him he did not like him anymore for of course telling him NO to something. Is there anyone else out there experiencing this with their child. Do I immediately send him to a shrink or what??? I have instead talked to him and expressed how upset I was and that he could have hurt me and he cried and apologized and promised never to do it again (hmmmm). I also took away a playdate and no Mcs (his favorite). I took away another toy last week and he seem to truly understand that his behavior was not appropriate nor appreciated. Maybe I should just continue to let him know there are consequences to his actions and he will get

it!! I don't know. Barb Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection.

Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.