RemedySpot.com

School changes are concerning

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well today was the 1st day of school for . All went very well and he was, as always, thrilled to be back. I as always spent part of the morning at the school filling all that needed to know about health. I could not help but to notice the changes in who the student were this year. attends an MRDD school. Up until this year there was more of what they call educational functional kids than there was kids that non educational functional. But this there are more kids that are extremely low functioning and have very severe medical needs. As I spoke to teacher that would be teaching reading I asked what reading level she was starting at with this year. She said end of 1st grade- beginning second. I than looked at her and ask "well than why is is working on matching the capital letter "A" to the lower case "a"? I was hoping to hear that they were working on sounds. Nope that is were he

is starting. She needs to make sure he knows these. NOW COME ON!!!! this is not the 1st year she has had . I am ripped. I went over to our public school and toured their MH classroom and spent time talking to the teacher and the Principal. The Principal has a back ground in Sp ed. The MH class impressed me when comparing the educational material that was being used and what I have seen present school using. In talking to the Principal about , he told me that even though attend the MRDD school he is student and if wants to take part in any of their after school clubs he is welcome to do so, he can attend their dances-I do not think could handle that- he had noticed in the past at footballs and ask if might be interested in helping with the football team. I told he yes, also ask why he can not go give the players their towels and water. He than took me down to the coaches room, pulled

him out of class and talked about it. The coach has invited to attend practice and get to know the guys and said if wants to he can do a couple Friday night home games and pass towels to the guys on the sidelines! I am going to discuss with the head of Sp ed in our district my concerns of curriculum. They starting the year below his level, way below! I know we had a big arguement at IEP about life skills -v- education., It is there feeling that since will be 17 they have to focus on life skills because he will be out of school in a couple years. I pointed out that I am the parent and I will teach life skillls, they are the educator they need to teach the 3 R's. This was met with deaf ears. I am frustrated by this attitude. Guess I need to gear up for a week 3 IEP meet and be a real *itch. Okay just had ot vent, hope the school year has started well for all. BeckyBecky Mother to , 16, Autism, Epilepsy, Cerebal Palsy, MR, ADHD TAKE A LOOK AT JAMES NEWEST PAGE http://www.fundable.org/groupactions/groupaction.2007-08-25.3476193947

Got a little couch potato?

Check out fun summer activities for kids.