RemedySpot.com

Solon Schools

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Does anyone on the list have any experience with Solon schools? Thanks

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Actually, I would love to hear this information as well. My husband

and I recently moved to Ohio and are currently renting in Shaker. We

are planning to buy a house this December and are considering

purchasing in Solon. However, we have been unable to get any other

information except district report card info that is provided by the

Ohio Dept. Ed. website. I would really appreciate hearing about

people's

experiences.....

Thanks,

Janice

>

> Is there anyone on these boards that is in the solon district (and

obviously also has a child on the spectrum)?  I would love to hear

from you!  If you could mail me offline, I would appreciate hearing

your story.  Thanks!

>

> Amy

>

I am interested in hearing about Solon specifically, too, so any pertinent replies, even if off list, could you also advise me? Thanks

-----Original Message----- From: ajaymcp2000 Sent: Sep 19, 2008 9:48 AM Subject: [ ] Re: solon schools

Hi,Actually, I would love to hear this information as well. My husband and I recently moved to Ohio and are currently renting in Shaker. We are planning to buy a house this December and are considering purchasing in Solon. However, we have been unable to get any other information except district report card info that is provided by the Ohio Dept. Ed. website. I would really appreciate hearing about people's experiences.....Thanks,Janice>> Is there anyone on these boards that is in the solon district (and obviously also has a child on the spectrum)? I would love to hear from you! If you could mail me offline, I would appreciate hearing your story. Thanks!> > Amy>

I am in Solon but currently out of the country with my family for a wedding.

This is our first year there - so far, very very good.

Email me off list for any other info.

From: TM McKenna <tmmckenna@...>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: solon schools Date: Friday, September 19, 2008, 11:00 AM

I am interested in hearing about Solon specifically, too, so any pertinent replies, even if off list, could you also advise me? Thanks

-----Original Message----- From: ajaymcp2000 Sent: Sep 19, 2008 9:48 AM Subject: [ ] Re: solon schools

Hi,Actually, I would love to hear this information as well. My husband and I recently moved to Ohio and are currently renting in Shaker. We are planning to buy a house this December and are considering purchasing in Solon. However, we have been unable to get any other information except district report card info that is provided by the Ohio Dept. Ed. website. I would really appreciate hearing about people's experiences. ....Thanks,Janice>> Is there anyone on these boards that is in the solon district (and obviously also has a child on the spectrum)? I would love to hear from you! If you could mail me offline, I would appreciate hearing your story. Thanks!> >

Amy>

We moved to Ohio from NY - 3 years ago, and I did extensive research on

many school districts. My only experience with Solon was a discussion

with the special ed director. I was interested in Solon because I know

that their school system is ranked very high. When I called the

special ed director to inquire about his programs and such, in jest he

said something to the effect that 'we don't won't want you to move here

because it will cost us more money to support your child'. And of

course he added, just joking, at the end. I can't remember the

specific words he used, but I remember getting off the phone and

thinking that it was the most unprofessional, rude comment he could

say. We never pursued Solon after that. They may have great services,

but I didn't appreciate the attitude. Incidently, I'm not the only one

who had an experience like that. I know of at least one other person

who encountered that reaction.

So it may be great, but I was put off instantly.

Kathy

Kathy,

Oh my goodness - that's terrible. I mean I understand that our

children require more resources but I was hoping that a district so

highly regarded as Solon would be committed to educating *all*

children not just the " inexpensive " ones. And for him to behave so

unprofessionally (not to mention unkindly....) it really makes me

think twice. Thank you so much for your input. May I ask what

district you ultimately decided to go with?

Janice

>

> We moved to Ohio from NY - 3 years ago, and I did extensive

research on

> many school districts. My only experience with Solon was a

discussion

> with the special ed director. I was interested in Solon because I

know

> that their school system is ranked very high. When I called the

> special ed director to inquire about his programs and such, in jest

he

> said something to the effect that 'we don't won't want you to move

here

> because it will cost us more money to support your child'. And of

> course he added, just joking, at the end. I can't remember the

> specific words he used, but I remember getting off the phone and

> thinking that it was the most unprofessional, rude comment he could

> say. We never pursued Solon after that. They may have great

services,

> but I didn't appreciate the attitude. Incidently, I'm not the only

one

> who had an experience like that. I know of at least one other

person

> who encountered that reaction.

>

> So it may be great, but I was put off instantly.

>

> Kathy

>

Hey Janice

I just wanted to tell you that when we moved to Ohio, we decided to go with Twinsburg schools...and I am SO glad we did! They are so kind and warm at Wilcox. The special ed teachers will call me just to let me know about something small that my son did during the day that they thought was wonderful. They really pay attention to him, and treat him as an individual.

Hope this helps!

Yarchever

Domestic Engineer

Yarchever Household Corporation

Cleveland, Ohio

From: ajaymcp2000 <jaelmck-craigslist@...>Subject: [ ] Re: solon schools Date: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 10:01 PM

Kathy,Oh my goodness - that's terrible. I mean I understand that our children require more resources but I was hoping that a district so highly regarded as Solon would be committed to educating *all* children not just the "inexpensive" ones. And for him to behave so unprofessionally (not to mention unkindly.... ) it really makes me think twice. Thank you so much for your input. May I ask what district you ultimately decided to go with?Janice>> We moved to Ohio from NY - 3 years ago, and I did extensive research on > many school districts. My only experience with Solon was a discussion > with the special ed director. I was interested in Solon because I know > that their school system is ranked very high. When I

called the > special ed director to inquire about his programs and such, in jest he > said something to the effect that 'we don't won't want you to move here > because it will cost us more money to support your child'. And of > course he added, just joking, at the end. I can't remember the > specific words he used, but I remember getting off the phone and > thinking that it was the most unprofessional, rude comment he could > say. We never pursued Solon after that. They may have great services, > but I didn't appreciate the attitude. Incidently, I'm not the only one > who had an experience like that. I know of at least one other person > who encountered that reaction. > > So it may be great, but I was put off instantly.> > Kathy>

We decided on Chagrin Falls and have been very happy with it. I also

looked at Kenston, Orange, Brecksville-Broadview, & Mayfield. I

really liked Orange as well, but we went with Chagrin. Its a smaller

district, but they have really customized a program with my son that

has been very successful.

Kathy

> >

> > We moved to Ohio from NY - 3 years ago, and I did extensive

> research on

> > many school districts. My only experience with Solon was a

> discussion

> > with the special ed director. I was interested in Solon because

I

> know

> > that their school system is ranked very high. When I called the

> > special ed director to inquire about his programs and such, in

jest

> he

> > said something to the effect that 'we don't won't want you to

move

> here

> > because it will cost us more money to support your child'. And of

> > course he added, just joking, at the end. I can't remember the

> > specific words he used, but I remember getting off the phone and

> > thinking that it was the most unprofessional, rude comment he

could

> > say. We never pursued Solon after that. They may have great

> services,

> > but I didn't appreciate the attitude. Incidently, I'm not the

only

> one

> > who had an experience like that. I know of at least one other

> person

> > who encountered that reaction.

> >

> > So it may be great, but I was put off instantly.

> >

> > Kathy

> >

>

Thanks so much for your replies, Kathy and . I have also been

considering those districts in addition to Solon. If I may ask of you

and others out there... how did you go about choosing a district?

What data did you look at? Who did you talk to? Parents? School

administrators? If so, what sort of questions did you ask?

I have been looking at the Ohio Dept of Ed website data that gives

percentage of " disabled " students that are proficient in reading,

writing, math, etc. Those statistics can be pretty depressing in some

districts, while in some others it is fairly good. Is that data even

meaningful in terms of assessing what those districts are

willing/able to do for kids on the spectrum? Is there other info out

there?

I feel like this is a great opportunity for my son IF I make the

right choice. I feel like sometimes I am obsessing about this

decision....

Many thanks for any and all assistance,

Janice

> > >

> > > We moved to Ohio from NY - 3 years ago, and I did extensive

> > research on

> > > many school districts. My only experience with Solon was a

> > discussion

> > > with the special ed director. I was interested in Solon

because

> I

> > know

> > > that their school system is ranked very high. When I called

the

> > > special ed director to inquire about his programs and such, in

> jest

> > he

> > > said something to the effect that 'we don't won't want you to

> move

> > here

> > > because it will cost us more money to support your child'. And

of

> > > course he added, just joking, at the end. I can't remember

the

> > > specific words he used, but I remember getting off the phone

and

> > > thinking that it was the most unprofessional, rude comment he

> could

> > > say. We never pursued Solon after that. They may have great

> > services,

> > > but I didn't appreciate the attitude. Incidently, I'm not the

> only

> > one

> > > who had an experience like that. I know of at least one other

> > person

> > > who encountered that reaction.

> > >

> > > So it may be great, but I was put off instantly.

> > >

> > > Kathy

> > >

> >

>

Janice--

Like you, I am " obsessing " about this decision. We know we really can't

stay in our current district, but my head is spinning with trying to

process all the data and trying to decide what is best for both of my

children (my younger child is on the spectrum, my oldest child is in a

gifted class). I have the same questions as you. Who do you talk to

besides school administrators?--whom I usually don't put much trust in.

I would love to speak to more parents, but I know even two parents may

have two different experiences within a district. Is there ever a time

parents might get together just to talk out all of this information?

Thanks for the help! We've got a big decision to make during the

current year, and all the information I can gather to make that

decision easier (or with more confidence?)is greatly appreciated.

~

We are new to the boards and are very interested in this topic. We have a little one on the spectrum that is receiving his preschool services through our Board of MRDD. (that tells you right there that we were fortunate enough to have something appropriate in place for him THERE, through our school district-but not in the school district; we are very concerned about what happens once he is in elementary school!). We are looking for a school district on the west side or southwest area...and would welcome a chance to get together with other parents like us who are trying to move forward with gathering information and getting to the appropriate people. I think this would be so helpful for many of us who have children of all ages whose needs are not being met in their current placements...perhaps we could find a place to meet, like a room at a rec center or a meeting room at Panera or at a library? We have a NT child who is older in elementary so this is a pain-staking decision...we do not want to uproot him but at the same time want to either make the best of our situation OR find another district that would meet the needs of both of our boys that may be a bit more willing to work with our son who has ASD. Feel free to email us offline.

Jill and MikeLooking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.

I hope this info helps some of you. This is just from our own struggles and experiences. We have children ranging from 33 to 12. Three NT children, one asperger child and one MR/OI grandchild we are raising.

As far as schools, we were most of the time in Strongsville Schools. They have a really good program for the younger autism/OI handicapped children. However, they are not set up well for Middle school or High School (although I heard from parents that they are willing to out of district the children). They do not have a good vocational school. Polarias is not worth sending your kids too (we had one go). They have a wonderful person who works with Autism. Her name is , and I apologize for not remembering her last name or knowing what current position she holds. She was my son's early education teacher, and she won the teacher of the year award two years ago at the Milestone Conference held in Landerhaven. She was sooooo good, and we didn't know what his diagnose was yet. She may be a Special Education Coordinator now.

We now live in Columbia Station. Schools are horrible. However, through much pain staking effort, our asperger son is in a really good program at the PEP program at Willow Creek. However, it was not the personnel at Columbia Schools that recommended or agreed to this. It was an interim principal at the Middle School that helped in placing him and other students there. (This principal was retired from Lakewood, and I have heard from other parents that Lakewood is a good system for our children. And by the help of this principal, I would have to agree).

Our granddaughter is through the North Ridgeville school system, but attends the MR/DD school Murray Ridge in Elyria. Murray Ridge is a WONDERFUL school for her and the other severly handicapped. She is more OI than MR, and she is very verbal and social. Yet, being out of school for two years due to medical issues, this is a WONDERFUL place, and they are willing to look at it as a transition for her, or evaluating the real her. North Ridgeville had nothing to do with her placement. We and her father did. We researched and went to Murray Ridge first, and then when we enrolled her in North Ridgeville Schools, we pushed for Murray Ridge. North Ridgeville schools has yet to see her physically, but apparently they weren't interested. I can only imagine what her days would be like if we just put her in the North Ridgeville schools. However, at a seminar I went to at OCALI in vermillion, I met some teachers who were part of a pilot program for autism/aspergers, and when they heard my problems with Columbia, they encouraged me to move to North Ridgeville for my asperger son. So perhaps it depends on the disability your child has.

Both North Ridgeville and Columbia are in Lorain County and they have a WONDERFUL vocational school. Lorain County Joint Vocational School. For both disabled and NT kids. We personally know NT kids who are working as Masons and Electrical technicians from LCJVS and they are working for major companies making $18 to $24 per hour (at age 20-24). We have been told by Murray Ridge School that LCJVS is WONDERFUL for disabled, whether it be full vocational or workshops.

I also have heard through conferences I have attended that Medina Schools (Medina County) has a good program that is in the Middle and High School for the Autism/Asperger children, Amherst Schools (Lorain County) has a program, and through the ARK of Ohio Conferences, Summit County has a good program in several schools.

I hope this give parents a source of research. I would ask for the Special Education Coordinator of each system and describe your siutation to them, get a meeting, try to observe their program and then go from there. We have been successful with our Special Education Coordinator helping us go "through the back door" to get our child help and get the district to pay for it. That means, finding a school program that works, proving your child needs it, and then not taking no for an answer at the IEP meetings. Following the suggestions of the ODE of proper professional communication with the schools helped TREMENDOUSLY also.

I hope this helps. We are happier now that we were last year (with both of our disabled children).

Carol BrownFind phone numbers fast with the New AOL Yellow Pages!