RemedySpot.com

Re: Ear tubes Q

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi , I don't have a child that needs ear tubes, however I had them when I was a kid.

What I remember most is how much better I felt after having them put in. I also remember being able to hear things that I never could hear very well before. I had a TON of drainage for a couple of weeks, after that, no pressure or pain at all. I also no longer had to take medication all of the time.

I don't remember it hurting at all when they were put in, they fell out a few years later. That didn't hurt at all it mostly it frightened me because I thought I broke them or something.

About swimming, I couldn't tolerate ear plugs so I used a swim cap that covered my ears.

----- Original Message -----

autismNE

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 12:17 PM

Subject: [ ] Ear tubes Q

Hello,

Does anyone have PE tubes put in their child's ears? This was recommended for my son, 5 ASD, non-verbal, due to frequent sinus infections, stuffiness, and ear infections. I am thinking about doing this but was looking for some feedback from you all first.

Did it help your child? Were there any complications during and after surgery?

Were you able to teach your child afterwards to tolerate a rubber ear band (to cover ears so that no water can enter the ear post surgery) to wear while swimming? Evan loves to swim and I am so concerned that we may have to give this up.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.

Guest guest

Thanks so much for your response! I think it will help my son,

too....

>

> Hi , I don't have a child that needs ear tubes, however I

had them when I was a kid.

> What I remember most is how much better I felt after having them

put in. I also remember being able to hear things that I never

could hear very well before. I had a TON of drainage for a couple

of weeks, after that, no pressure or pain at all. I also no longer

had to take medication all of the time.

> I don't remember it hurting at all when they were put in, they

fell out a few years later. That didn't hurt at all it mostly it

frightened me because I thought I broke them or something.

> About swimming, I couldn't tolerate ear plugs so I used a swim cap

that covered my ears.

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From:

> autismNE

> Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 12:17 PM

> Subject: [ ] Ear tubes Q

>

>

>

> Hello,

>

> Does anyone have PE tubes put in their child's ears? This was

recommended for my son, 5 ASD, non-verbal, due to frequent sinus

infections, stuffiness, and ear infections. I am thinking about

doing this but was looking for some feedback from you all first.

>

> Did it help your child? Were there any complications during and

after surgery?

>

> Were you able to teach your child afterwards to tolerate a

rubber ear band (to cover ears so that no water can enter the ear

post surgery) to wear while swimming? Evan loves to swim and I am

so concerned that we may have to give this up.

>

> Any advice?

>

> Thanks,

>

>

>

> -------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------

> Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with

FareChase.

>

Guest guest

My son (ASD), had his third set of tubes (long story) put in his ears and his adenoid removed at 2.5 yrs. Immediately after surgery he had quite a bit of drainage but no pain. At that time he wasn't saying much but we did hear his first real word a week later:) We knew that he was hearing much better because certain noises (i.e. hair dryer and vacuum cleaner) were intolerable at first. He gradually got use to all of the new sounds he had never heard before and the language began to progress at a more rapid rate.

As for ear plugs, our ENT told us that as long as the tubes were open and clear there was no need to have him wear plugs. We've never put ear plugs in his ears and have never had a problem. He has also not had an ear infection since the tubes were put in his ears. I would follow your doctors advice on the ear plugs though because I have heard different stories from other people.

I also wanted to mention that since the tubes, we have learned that our son has a hearing impairment which they believe he was born with but was further damaged from all of the infections. He is now almost 7yrs old and is wearing a hearing aid in his left ear which he has a profound hearing loss in...right ear has a mild (high frequency) loss. We learned of his hearing loss once he started talking and started cooperating during his hearing tests.

I hope that helps.

Gloria

autismNE

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 9:17 AM

Hello,

Does anyone have PE tubes put in their child's ears? This was recommended for my son, 5 ASD, non-verbal, due to frequent sinus infections, stuffiness, and ear infections. I am thinking about doing this but was looking for some feedback from you all first.

Were you able to teach your child afterwards to tolerate a rubber ear band (to cover ears so that no water can enter the ear post surgery) to wear while swimming? Evan loves to swim and I am so concerned that we may have to give this up.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Guest guest

You know ... I was just thinking. A child w/ ASD may have a hard time adjusting to the difference in sound. Ifyour child gets overwhelmed (like mine) w/ loud sounds ... I could see that there may be an adjustment period.

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 2:45 PM

Subject: [ ] Re: Ear tubes Q

Thanks so much for your response! I think it will help my son, too....>> Hi , I don't have a child that needs ear tubes, however I had them when I was a kid. > What I remember most is how much better I felt after having them put in. I also remember being able to hear things that I never could hear very well before. I had a TON of drainage for a couple of weeks, after that, no pressure or pain at all. I also no longer had to take medication all of the time. > I don't remember it hurting at all when they were put in, they fell out a few years later. That didn't hurt at all it mostly it frightened me because I thought I broke them or something.> About swimming, I couldn't tolerate ear plugs so I used a swim cap that covered my ears. > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: > autismNE > Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 12:17 PM> Subject: [ ] Ear tubes Q> > > > Hello,> > Does anyone have PE tubes put in their child's ears? This was recommended for my son, 5 ASD, non-verbal, due to frequent sinus infections, stuffiness, and ear infections. I am thinking about doing this but was looking for some feedback from you all first. > > Did it help your child? Were there any complications during and after surgery?> > Were you able to teach your child afterwards to tolerate a rubber ear band (to cover ears so that no water can enter the ear post surgery) to wear while swimming? Evan loves to swim and I am so concerned that we may have to give this up.> > Any advice?> > Thanks,> > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------> Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.>

Guest guest

I wrote earlier about my son's experience with the tubes when he was 2.5 yrs old. I wanted to add a comment about the ear plugs....our doctor mentioned that as long as the water was clean we were fine not putting plugs in his ears. He also mentioned to be careful of dirty bath water getting in the ears....it could lead to infections. Thanks.

autismNE

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 9:17 AM

Hello,

Any advice?

Thanks,

Guest guest

Thank you all for responding to my question re. ear tubes. I am

hopeful that this will also eleviate some of my son's issues, or at

least the pain! Thanks again!!