RemedySpot.com

Re: Moving to Cleveland

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Kim,

Welcome to Cleveland! There are a lot of services to check into here. You might want to first contact CBMR/DD (which county you will move to) This service is available in most our counties. They provide help for most types of special needs including autism. Did you check through the files from the group that were sent to you when you joined? There's resources for schools and services listed in those. Also you can check the files if you want to see them again.

We have members all over NE Ohio and they can tell you about their cities school districts. You might want to check the Achievement Centers which have very good autism programs. There's also the Cleveland Clinic Autism Center for severe autism which is ABA based teaching. I don't have those contact numbers in front of me but I can check and then send you the info if you're interested.

Yours, n

In a message dated 12/26/07 10:32:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, takeme2river@... writes:

Hello all,

My name is Kim and I have a son 7 years old with autism. We just found out that my husband is being transferred to work in Beechwood. WE will be moving from Pittsburg to Cleveland early 2008.

Could anyone tell me what school districts are the best to work with (or ones to avoid)? Also are services different by county or location?

Is there a first step in setting up services, like a caseworker?

What services are available? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have extensive services in Pittsburgh (ABA therapy, nurses-aides, etc) and are nervous about the transition.

River is profoundly autistic and very limited verbally.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kim

In a message dated 12/26/2007 11:05:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 1@... writes:

Hi Kim, Welcome to Cleveland! There are a lot of services to check into here. You might want to first contact CBMR/DD (which county you will move to) This service is available in most our counties. They provide help for most types of special needs including autism. Did you check through the files from the group that were sent to you when you joined? There's resources for schools and services listed in those. Also you can check the files if you want to see them again. We have members all over NE Ohio and they can tell you about their cities school districts. You might want to check the Achievement Centers which have very good autism programs. There's also the Cleveland Clinic Autism Center for severe autism which is ABA based teaching. I don't have those contact numbers in front of me but I can check and then send you the info if you're interested. Yours, n In a message dated 12/26/07 10:32:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, takeme2river writes:

Hello all, My name is Kim and I have a son 7 years old with autism. We just found out that my husband is being transferred to work in Beechwood. WE will be moving from Pittsburg to Cleveland early 2008. Could anyone tell me what school districts are the best to work with (or ones to avoid)? Also are services different by county or location? Is there a first step in setting up services, like a caseworker? What services are available? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have extensive services in Pittsburgh (ABA therapy, nurses-aides, etc) and are nervous about the transition. River is profoundly autistic and very limited verbally. Thanks in advance for any help. Kim

Hi Kim,

Welcome to our group and to Cleveland.

We have a wide variety of services and I would be happy to talk to you specifically about what is best for your child and your family.

I would love to help you and anyone else who is new to our city get adjusted.

Please feel free to contact me at the phone number below or email me directly.

I have a booklet of services, numbers and names I would be happy to share with you or anyone else in need.

Take care,

Shari Goldberg

Autism Speaks Cleveland Chapter President 28449 North Woodland RoadPepper Pike, Ohio 44124440-449-9922

sharigoldberg22@...See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

The following article appeared in the Cleveland newspaper only this morning, Kim. There are plenty of people within this Group who can tell you the pros and cons about both schools.

Tell your husband to prepare to not be discussing the Steelers for a while....

richard m

2 autism approaches: Clinic is behavioral; Monarch uses technology

Thursday, December 27, 2007

TownsendPlain Dealer Reporter

A video of a person playing with a plastic car and garage is more than entertainment for 4-year-old . As she watches, she mimics what she sees by playing with a similar toy, maneuvering the car up a ramp and into a parking space.

, who is in a preschool program for autistic children at the Monarch School, can't yet replicate the car sounds she hears. But she has made big strides from the days when she wouldn't even go near the toy.

A few miles away, at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism's Lerner School, several older children work together on a lesson, each with a teacher or other staff person nearby. In the background, an alarm chirps at intervals -- a reminder for instructors to keep providing positive feedback.

Autism, which affects one in about 150 children, covers a broad spectrum of developmental disorders. Children with the less severe diagnoses often are educated in "regular" public or private schools. But in Northeast Ohio, parents of children who are most severely affected have two choices nearby, the Monarch and Clinic schools.

Both continue to break new ground - Monarch with innovative technology and the Clinic with an intensive effort to change behavior.

Monarch created a separate company, Monarch Teaching Technologies Inc., to develop a visually based computer program that can reach children like .

The product is an outgrowth of a study that the school, a part of Bellefaire Jewish Children's Bureau, embarked on in 2002 with Harvard Medical School and two Boston hospitals.

The aim: to develop a model that could be replicated in schools across the country.

"We want to enable teachers to create what they want and use it the way they want without being restricted by a specific [software]," said Terry , the company's chief executive.

A digital library of more than 12,000 photographs provides the material to create electronic flash cards, representations of popular children's books and other tools.

The children's affinity for computers helps draw them into touch-screen and other exercises that can be personalized. For example, a math lesson can be based on a virtual trip to buy groceries, using photos of the student, the family car and the inside of a neighborhood store. The more familiar the components, the easier it is for the children to connect.

"We can deliver quick messages to kids in an innovative way," said Stafford, director of instructional design for Monarch Teaching Technologies. "We really want to unlock the world to our kids."

About half of the Monarch students and a dozen staff members worked on the first version of the software. A second version will be tested in the spring.

By the end of next year, the company hopes to roll out an Internet-based tool accessible for free to a limited number of local school districts. Eventually the product will be available to parents and teachers across the country for a modest monthly fee, said.

Helping kids, with lots of praise

The Clinic's school takes an approach that emphasizes working intensely, one on one, to change a child's behavior and improve the quality of his or her life, said Sinclair, the center's program director.

"I think, quite frankly, this is what separates us from the pack," Sinclair said.

Applied behavioral analysis - as the method is known in scientific circles - gives needed structure to children with autism, who often have trouble learning how to play with their peers or picking up basic language and social skills, she explained.

The children get that in an environment consisting of 25 to 50 hours a week of specialized sessions. They include repetitive exercises and drills tailored to each child's needs - and lots of praise when progress is being made.

Proximity to the Clinic's Children's Hospital provides easy access to speech pathologists, psychologists and other medical professionals.

The Northeastern states are often seen as leaders in evidence-based treatment programs and schools for autism, Sinclair said, but it was the Clinic's school that served as a model for a Missouri preschool that opened in October.

The center's new wing, scheduled to open in May, will allow the school to enroll an additional 20 students. A vocational program, which introduces older students to the workplace, will be expanded.

Monarch and the Cleveland Clinic may be the big names locally in education for autistic students, but others have entered the arena.

Akron-based Summit Academy operates 28 Ohio charter schools that educate children with Asperger's syndrome (a form of autism) as well as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The chain opened a school in Massachusetts this fall and is looking for space for a new school in Cleveland.

Because most schools specializing in autism deal with the most severe cases, high-functioning children at the opposite end of the spectrum often get lost in the shuffle, said academy founder and CEO DiMezza.

"Making friends, feeling safe and wanted - it's very difficult to do that in most settings," said DiMezza, who opened the first Summit Academy in Ohio in 1999. "You have to take care of those needs before you can get into the academics."

As children get older, the biggest challenge facing educators is how to prepare them for life after school.

"Down the pike, there will be millions of adults in the United States with autism in the next 10 years," Sinclair said.

An active community of parents gives Cleveland an advantage over other parts of the country, said Gerhardt, president of the Organization for Autism Research, based in Arlington, Va.

"It's the history of special education in general that parents change the system," he said.

nne Delauro has been an advocate for her son, Bradley, since he was diagnosed with autism at age 2. Now 14, Bradley was one of the first Monarch School students when it opened in 2000, but left after three years to enroll in the Mayfield school district.

When Delauro felt that her son's needs weren't being met in middle school, she returned to Monarch. By the time he's an adult, she just wants him to be able to do something that he is happy doing.

"It's not going to be just 'I want him to have a job,' " she said. "We want to help him be all he can be."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

atownsend@..., 216-999-3894

© 2007 The Plain Dealer

© 2007 cleveland.com .

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:04 PM

Subject: Re: [ ] Moving to Cleveland

Hi Kim, Welcome to Cleveland! There are a lot of services to check into here. You might want to first contact CBMR/DD (which county you will move to) This service is available in most our counties. They provide help for most types of special needs including autism. Did you check through the files from the group that were sent to you when you joined? There's resources for schools and services listed in those. Also you can check the files if you want to see them again. We have members all over NE Ohio and they can tell you about their cities school districts. You might want to check the Achievement Centers which have very good autism programs. There's also the Cleveland Clinic Autism Center for severe autism which is ABA based teaching. I don't have those contact numbers in front of me but I can check and then send you the info if you're interested. Yours, n In a message dated 12/26/07 10:32:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, takeme2river writes:

Hello all, My name is Kim and I have a son 7 years old with autism. We just found out that my husband is being transferred to work in Beechwood. WE will be moving from Pittsburg to Cleveland early 2008. Could anyone tell me what school districts are the best to work with (or ones to avoid)? Also are services different by county or location? Is there a first step in setting up services, like a caseworker? What services are available? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have extensive services in Pittsburgh (ABA therapy, nurses-aides, etc) and are nervous about the transition. River is profoundly autistic and very limited verbally. Thanks in advance for any help. Kim

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.9/1197 - Release Date: 12/25/2007 8:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. Does anyone know of school districts that have autism support classrooms within the public schools? Our son is not capable of any intergration. He is very agressive and disruptive and is in a 1-1 classroom with all autistic students at this time.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Thanks so much for the article. I understand you use autism

scholarship to cover part of the costs for this. Then do the parents

have to pay the balance. Does the school district ever pay for

tuition as " an approved private school " as in the IEP. My son can

not be in a regular classroom as he is very agressive and has limited

speech.

sorry for all the questions, we are trying to navigatet this whole

new system and lingo.

My husband doesn't like football, I recently became a Steelers fan

cause I think Ben is awesome, but I do really like Brady Quinn. I

pledge to not ever wear gold and black in your presence!!! Go browns!

-- In , " Mandel " <rsmandel@...> wrote:

>

> The following article appeared in the Cleveland newspaper only this

morning, Kim. There are plenty of people within this Group who

can tell you the pros and cons about both schools.

>

> Tell your husband to prepare to not be discussing the Steelers for

a while....

>

> richard m

>

> 2 autism approaches: Clinic is behavioral; Monarch uses technology

> Thursday, December 27, 2007

> Townsend

> Plain Dealer Reporter

> A video of a person playing with a plastic car and garage is more

than entertainment for 4-year-old . As she watches, she mimics

what she sees by playing with a similar toy, maneuvering the car up a

ramp and into a parking space.

>

> , who is in a preschool program for autistic children at the

Monarch School, can't yet replicate the car sounds she hears. But she

has made big strides from the days when she wouldn't even go near the

toy.

>

> A few miles away, at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism's

Lerner School, several older children work together on a lesson, each

with a teacher or other staff person nearby. In the background, an

alarm chirps at intervals -- a reminder for instructors to keep

providing positive feedback.

>

> Autism, which affects one in about 150 children, covers a broad

spectrum of developmental disorders. Children with the less severe

diagnoses often are educated in " regular " public or private schools.

But in Northeast Ohio, parents of children who are most severely

affected have two choices nearby, the Monarch and Clinic schools.

>

> Both continue to break new ground - Monarch with innovative

technology and the Clinic with an intensive effort to change

behavior.

>

> Monarch created a separate company, Monarch Teaching Technologies

Inc., to develop a visually based computer program that can reach

children like .

>

> The product is an outgrowth of a study that the school, a part of

Bellefaire Jewish Children's Bureau, embarked on in 2002 with Harvard

Medical School and two Boston hospitals.

>

> The aim: to develop a model that could be replicated in schools

across the country.

>

> " We want to enable teachers to create what they want and use it the

way they want without being restricted by a specific [software], "

said Terry , the company's chief executive.

>

> A digital library of more than 12,000 photographs provides the

material to create electronic flash cards, representations of popular

children's books and other tools.

>

> The children's affinity for computers helps draw them into touch-

screen and other exercises that can be personalized. For example, a

math lesson can be based on a virtual trip to buy groceries, using

photos of the student, the family car and the inside of a

neighborhood store. The more familiar the components, the easier it

is for the children to connect.

>

> " We can deliver quick messages to kids in an innovative way, " said

Stafford, director of instructional design for Monarch

Teaching Technologies. " We really want to unlock the world to our

kids. "

>

> About half of the Monarch students and a dozen staff members worked

on the first version of the software. A second version will be tested

in the spring.

>

> By the end of next year, the company hopes to roll out an Internet-

based tool accessible for free to a limited number of local school

districts. Eventually the product will be available to parents and

teachers across the country for a modest monthly fee, said.

>

> Helping kids, with lots of praise

>

> The Clinic's school takes an approach that emphasizes working

intensely, one on one, to change a child's behavior and improve the

quality of his or her life, said Sinclair, the center's

program director.

>

> " I think, quite frankly, this is what separates us from the pack, "

Sinclair said.

>

> Applied behavioral analysis - as the method is known in scientific

circles - gives needed structure to children with autism, who often

have trouble learning how to play with their peers or picking up

basic language and social skills, she explained.

>

> The children get that in an environment consisting of 25 to 50

hours a week of specialized sessions. They include repetitive

exercises and drills tailored to each child's needs - and lots of

praise when progress is being made.

>

> Proximity to the Clinic's Children's Hospital provides easy access

to speech pathologists, psychologists and other medical

professionals.

>

> The Northeastern states are often seen as leaders in evidence-based

treatment programs and schools for autism, Sinclair said, but it was

the Clinic's school that served as a model for a Missouri preschool

that opened in October.

>

> The center's new wing, scheduled to open in May, will allow the

school to enroll an additional 20 students. A vocational program,

which introduces older students to the workplace, will be expanded.

>

> Monarch and the Cleveland Clinic may be the big names locally in

education for autistic students, but others have entered the arena.

>

> Akron-based Summit Academy operates 28 Ohio charter schools that

educate children with Asperger's syndrome (a form of autism) as well

as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The chain opened a

school in Massachusetts this fall and is looking for space for a new

school in Cleveland.

>

> Because most schools specializing in autism deal with the most

severe cases, high-functioning children at the opposite end of the

spectrum often get lost in the shuffle, said academy founder and CEO

DiMezza.

>

> " Making friends, feeling safe and wanted - it's very difficult to

do that in most settings, " said DiMezza, who opened the first Summit

Academy in Ohio in 1999. " You have to take care of those needs before

you can get into the academics. "

>

> As children get older, the biggest challenge facing educators is

how to prepare them for life after school.

>

> " Down the pike, there will be millions of adults in the United

States with autism in the next 10 years, " Sinclair said.

>

> An active community of parents gives Cleveland an advantage over

other parts of the country, said Gerhardt, president of the

Organization for Autism Research, based in Arlington, Va.

>

> " It's the history of special education in general that parents

change the system, " he said.

>

> nne Delauro has been an advocate for her son, Bradley, since

he was diagnosed with autism at age 2. Now 14, Bradley was one of the

first Monarch School students when it opened in 2000, but left after

three years to enroll in the Mayfield school district.

>

> When Delauro felt that her son's needs weren't being met in middle

school, she returned to Monarch. By the time he's an adult, she just

wants him to be able to do something that he is happy doing.

>

> " It's not going to be just 'I want him to have a job,' " she

said. " We want to help him be all he can be. "

>

> To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

>

> atownsend@..., 216-999-3894

>

>

>

> © 2007 The Plain Dealer

> © 2007 cleveland.com .

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: 1@...

>

> Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:04 PM

> Subject: Re: [ ] Moving to Cleveland

>

>

> Hi Kim,

>

> Welcome to Cleveland! There are a lot of services to check into

here. You might want to first contact CBMR/DD (which county you will

move to) This service is available in most our counties. They

provide help for most types of special needs including autism. Did

you check through the files from the group that were sent to

you when you joined? There's resources for schools and services

listed in those. Also you can check the files if you

want to see them again.

>

> We have members all over NE Ohio and they can tell you about

their cities school districts. You might want to check the

Achievement Centers which have very good autism programs. There's

also the Cleveland Clinic Autism Center for severe autism which is

ABA based teaching. I don't have those contact numbers in front of

me but I can check and then send you the info if you're interested.

>

> Yours, n

>

>

> In a message dated 12/26/07 10:32:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,

takeme2river@... writes:

>

>

>

>

> Hello all,

>

> My name is Kim and I have a son 7 years old with autism. We

just found

> out that my husband is being transferred to work in Beechwood.

WE will

> be moving from Pittsburg to Cleveland early 2008.

>

> Could anyone tell me what school districts are the best to work

with

> (or ones to avoid)? Also are services different by county or

location?

>

> Is there a first step in setting up services, like a

caseworker?

>

> What services are available? Any help would be greatly

appreciated.

> We have extensive services in Pittsburgh (ABA therapy, nurses-

aides,

> etc) and are nervous about the transition.

>

> River is profoundly autistic and very limited verbally.

>

> Thanks in advance for any help.

>

> Kim

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.9/1197 - Release Date:

12/25/2007 8:04 PM

>

Hey Kim. We just moved to Cleveland from Pittsburgh as well, and we

have a 5 year old boy on the spectrum. Where will you guys be living?

I am here for you if you need anything, as I jus went through the

same thing you are about to!!

> >

> > The following article appeared in the Cleveland newspaper only

this

> morning, Kim. There are plenty of people within this Group

who

> can tell you the pros and cons about both schools.

> >

> > Tell your husband to prepare to not be discussing the Steelers

for

> a while....

> >

> > richard m

> >

> > 2 autism approaches: Clinic is behavioral; Monarch uses

technology

> > Thursday, December 27, 2007

> > Townsend

> > Plain Dealer Reporter

> > A video of a person playing with a plastic car and garage is more

> than entertainment for 4-year-old . As she watches, she

mimics

> what she sees by playing with a similar toy, maneuvering the car up

a

> ramp and into a parking space.

> >

> > , who is in a preschool program for autistic children at

the

> Monarch School, can't yet replicate the car sounds she hears. But

she

> has made big strides from the days when she wouldn't even go near

the

> toy.

> >

> > A few miles away, at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism's

> Lerner School, several older children work together on a lesson,

each

> with a teacher or other staff person nearby. In the background, an

> alarm chirps at intervals -- a reminder for instructors to keep

> providing positive feedback.

> >

> > Autism, which affects one in about 150 children, covers a broad

> spectrum of developmental disorders. Children with the less severe

> diagnoses often are educated in " regular " public or private

schools.

> But in Northeast Ohio, parents of children who are most severely

> affected have two choices nearby, the Monarch and Clinic schools.

> >

> > Both continue to break new ground - Monarch with innovative

> technology and the Clinic with an intensive effort to change

> behavior.

> >

> > Monarch created a separate company, Monarch Teaching Technologies

> Inc., to develop a visually based computer program that can reach

> children like .

> >

> > The product is an outgrowth of a study that the school, a part of

> Bellefaire Jewish Children's Bureau, embarked on in 2002 with

Harvard

> Medical School and two Boston hospitals.

> >

> > The aim: to develop a model that could be replicated in schools

> across the country.

> >

> > " We want to enable teachers to create what they want and use it

the

> way they want without being restricted by a specific [software], "

> said Terry , the company's chief executive.

> >

> > A digital library of more than 12,000 photographs provides the

> material to create electronic flash cards, representations of

popular

> children's books and other tools.

> >

> > The children's affinity for computers helps draw them into touch-

> screen and other exercises that can be personalized. For example, a

> math lesson can be based on a virtual trip to buy groceries, using

> photos of the student, the family car and the inside of a

> neighborhood store. The more familiar the components, the easier it

> is for the children to connect.

> >

> > " We can deliver quick messages to kids in an innovative way, "

said

> Stafford, director of instructional design for Monarch

> Teaching Technologies. " We really want to unlock the world to our

> kids. "

> >

> > About half of the Monarch students and a dozen staff members

worked

> on the first version of the software. A second version will be

tested

> in the spring.

> >

> > By the end of next year, the company hopes to roll out an

Internet-

> based tool accessible for free to a limited number of local school

> districts. Eventually the product will be available to parents and

> teachers across the country for a modest monthly fee, said.

> >

> > Helping kids, with lots of praise

> >

> > The Clinic's school takes an approach that emphasizes working

> intensely, one on one, to change a child's behavior and improve the

> quality of his or her life, said Sinclair, the center's

> program director.

> >

> > " I think, quite frankly, this is what separates us from the

pack, "

> Sinclair said.

> >

> > Applied behavioral analysis - as the method is known in

scientific

> circles - gives needed structure to children with autism, who often

> have trouble learning how to play with their peers or picking up

> basic language and social skills, she explained.

> >

> > The children get that in an environment consisting of 25 to 50

> hours a week of specialized sessions. They include repetitive

> exercises and drills tailored to each child's needs - and lots of

> praise when progress is being made.

> >

> > Proximity to the Clinic's Children's Hospital provides easy

access

> to speech pathologists, psychologists and other medical

> professionals.

> >

> > The Northeastern states are often seen as leaders in evidence-

based

> treatment programs and schools for autism, Sinclair said, but it

was

> the Clinic's school that served as a model for a Missouri preschool

> that opened in October.

> >

> > The center's new wing, scheduled to open in May, will allow the

> school to enroll an additional 20 students. A vocational program,

> which introduces older students to the workplace, will be expanded.

> >

> > Monarch and the Cleveland Clinic may be the big names locally in

> education for autistic students, but others have entered the arena.

> >

> > Akron-based Summit Academy operates 28 Ohio charter schools that

> educate children with Asperger's syndrome (a form of autism) as

well

> as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The chain opened a

> school in Massachusetts this fall and is looking for space for a

new

> school in Cleveland.

> >

> > Because most schools specializing in autism deal with the most

> severe cases, high-functioning children at the opposite end of the

> spectrum often get lost in the shuffle, said academy founder and

CEO

> DiMezza.

> >

> > " Making friends, feeling safe and wanted - it's very difficult to

> do that in most settings, " said DiMezza, who opened the first

Summit

> Academy in Ohio in 1999. " You have to take care of those needs

before

> you can get into the academics. "

> >

> > As children get older, the biggest challenge facing educators is

> how to prepare them for life after school.

> >

> > " Down the pike, there will be millions of adults in the United

> States with autism in the next 10 years, " Sinclair said.

> >

> > An active community of parents gives Cleveland an advantage over

> other parts of the country, said Gerhardt, president of the

> Organization for Autism Research, based in Arlington, Va.

> >

> > " It's the history of special education in general that parents

> change the system, " he said.

> >

> > nne Delauro has been an advocate for her son, Bradley, since

> he was diagnosed with autism at age 2. Now 14, Bradley was one of

the

> first Monarch School students when it opened in 2000, but left

after

> three years to enroll in the Mayfield school district.

> >

> > When Delauro felt that her son's needs weren't being met in

middle

> school, she returned to Monarch. By the time he's an adult, she

just

> wants him to be able to do something that he is happy doing.

> >

> > " It's not going to be just 'I want him to have a job,' " she

> said. " We want to help him be all he can be. "

> >

> > To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

> >

> > atownsend@, 216-999-3894

> >

> >

> >

> > © 2007 The Plain Dealer

> > © 2007 cleveland.com .

> > ----- Original Message -----

> > From: 1@

> >

> > Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:04 PM

> > Subject: Re: [ ] Moving to Cleveland

> >

> >

> > Hi Kim,

> >

> > Welcome to Cleveland! There are a lot of services to check

into

> here. You might want to first contact CBMR/DD (which county you

will

> move to) This service is available in most our counties. They

> provide help for most types of special needs including autism. Did

> you check through the files from the group that were sent

to

> you when you joined? There's resources for schools and services

> listed in those. Also you can check the files if you

> want to see them again.

> >

> > We have members all over NE Ohio and they can tell you about

> their cities school districts. You might want to check the

> Achievement Centers which have very good autism programs. There's

> also the Cleveland Clinic Autism Center for severe autism which is

> ABA based teaching. I don't have those contact numbers in front of

> me but I can check and then send you the info if you're interested.

> >

> > Yours, n

> >

> >

> > In a message dated 12/26/07 10:32:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,

> takeme2river@ writes:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello all,

> >

> > My name is Kim and I have a son 7 years old with autism. We

> just found

> > out that my husband is being transferred to work in

Beechwood.

> WE will

> > be moving from Pittsburg to Cleveland early 2008.

> >

> > Could anyone tell me what school districts are the best to

work

> with

> > (or ones to avoid)? Also are services different by county or

> location?

> >

> > Is there a first step in setting up services, like a

> caseworker?

> >

> > What services are available? Any help would be greatly

> appreciated.

> > We have extensive services in Pittsburgh (ABA therapy, nurses-

> aides,

> > etc) and are nervous about the transition.

> >

> > River is profoundly autistic and very limited verbally.

> >

> > Thanks in advance for any help.

> >

> > Kim

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------------------------------------

--

> ----------

> >

> >

> > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.9/1197 - Release

Date:

> 12/25/2007 8:04 PM

> >

>

Hi Kim, Just briefly here as my son is home and I can't spare much time... Whether the district pays for the private placement depends on the individual needs of the child and the district philosophy, $, as well as what they have available to offer. Some parents may openly recommend their district but some won't do this publicly, which is understandable. If you are still researching, I would request an site visit/meeting with some of the potential districts you may be moving into, I am assuming on the East Side. It seems that you son may need an intensive program indeed and a 1-1. If this is in his IEP, than hopefully the new district will honor this as a true need that needs to be met. Getting the private placement paid for by the district is pretty much a battle for any parent so be prepared to fight. I do not mean to discourage you from moving to Cleveland in any way but you will not find the cozy wrap-around services that are available in PA. There is almost nothing like that here. You pay for every minute of therapy here --- but there is a limited bucket of money available with the county board of MRDD ($1,500 per year tops). If you opt for the scholarship money (which is not even near being enough to pay for private school), you can not have public school services. It is not in addittion to it. Personally, I have been thinking about moving to PA because of the warparound services --- they sound just wonderful and so needed with our children. Best of luck to you and family! yarchgirl <yarchgirl@...> wrote: Hey Kim. We just moved to Cleveland from Pittsburgh as well, and we have a 5 year old boy on the spectrum. Where will you guys be living? I am here for you if you need anything, as I jus went through the same thing you are about to!!> >> > The following article appeared in the Cleveland newspaper only this > morning, Kim. There are plenty of people within this Group who > can tell you the pros and cons about both schools. > > > > Tell your husband to prepare to not be discussing the Steelers for > a

while....> > > > richard m> > > > 2 autism approaches: Clinic is behavioral; Monarch uses technology > > Thursday, December 27, 2007> > Townsend> > Plain Dealer Reporter > > A video of a person playing with a plastic car and garage is more > than entertainment for 4-year-old . As she watches, she mimics > what she sees by playing with a similar toy, maneuvering the car up a > ramp and into a parking space. > > > > , who is in a preschool program for autistic children at the > Monarch School, can't yet replicate the car sounds she hears. But she > has made big strides from the days when she wouldn't even go near the > toy. > > > > A few miles away, at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism's > Lerner School, several older children work together on a lesson,

each > with a teacher or other staff person nearby. In the background, an > alarm chirps at intervals -- a reminder for instructors to keep > providing positive feedback. > > > > Autism, which affects one in about 150 children, covers a broad > spectrum of developmental disorders. Children with the less severe > diagnoses often are educated in "regular" public or private schools. > But in Northeast Ohio, parents of children who are most severely > affected have two choices nearby, the Monarch and Clinic schools. > > > > Both continue to break new ground - Monarch with innovative > technology and the Clinic with an intensive effort to change > behavior. > > > > Monarch created a separate company, Monarch Teaching Technologies > Inc., to develop a visually based computer program that can reach > children like . > >

> > The product is an outgrowth of a study that the school, a part of > Bellefaire Jewish Children's Bureau, embarked on in 2002 with Harvard > Medical School and two Boston hospitals. > > > > The aim: to develop a model that could be replicated in schools > across the country. > > > > "We want to enable teachers to create what they want and use it the > way they want without being restricted by a specific [software]," > said Terry , the company's chief executive. > > > > A digital library of more than 12,000 photographs provides the > material to create electronic flash cards, representations of popular > children's books and other tools. > > > > The children's affinity for computers helps draw them into touch-> screen and other exercises that can be personalized. For example, a > math lesson can be

based on a virtual trip to buy groceries, using > photos of the student, the family car and the inside of a > neighborhood store. The more familiar the components, the easier it > is for the children to connect. > > > > "We can deliver quick messages to kids in an innovative way," said > Stafford, director of instructional design for Monarch > Teaching Technologies. "We really want to unlock the world to our > kids." > > > > About half of the Monarch students and a dozen staff members worked > on the first version of the software. A second version will be tested > in the spring. > > > > By the end of next year, the company hopes to roll out an Internet-> based tool accessible for free to a limited number of local school > districts. Eventually the product will be available to parents and > teachers across the

country for a modest monthly fee, said. > > > > Helping kids, with lots of praise > > > > The Clinic's school takes an approach that emphasizes working > intensely, one on one, to change a child's behavior and improve the > quality of his or her life, said Sinclair, the center's > program director. > > > > "I think, quite frankly, this is what separates us from the pack," > Sinclair said. > > > > Applied behavioral analysis - as the method is known in scientific > circles - gives needed structure to children with autism, who often > have trouble learning how to play with their peers or picking up > basic language and social skills, she explained. > > > > The children get that in an environment consisting of 25 to 50 > hours a week of specialized sessions. They include repetitive > exercises

and drills tailored to each child's needs - and lots of > praise when progress is being made. > > > > Proximity to the Clinic's Children's Hospital provides easy access > to speech pathologists, psychologists and other medical > professionals. > > > > The Northeastern states are often seen as leaders in evidence-based > treatment programs and schools for autism, Sinclair said, but it was > the Clinic's school that served as a model for a Missouri preschool > that opened in October. > > > > The center's new wing, scheduled to open in May, will allow the > school to enroll an additional 20 students. A vocational program, > which introduces older students to the workplace, will be expanded. > > > > Monarch and the Cleveland Clinic may be the big names locally in > education for autistic students, but others have entered the

arena. > > > > Akron-based Summit Academy operates 28 Ohio charter schools that > educate children with Asperger's syndrome (a form of autism) as well > as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The chain opened a > school in Massachusetts this fall and is looking for space for a new > school in Cleveland. > > > > Because most schools specializing in autism deal with the most > severe cases, high-functioning children at the opposite end of the > spectrum often get lost in the shuffle, said academy founder and CEO > DiMezza. > > > > "Making friends, feeling safe and wanted - it's very difficult to > do that in most settings," said DiMezza, who opened the first Summit > Academy in Ohio in 1999. "You have to take care of those needs before > you can get into the academics." > > > > As children get

older, the biggest challenge facing educators is > how to prepare them for life after school. > > > > "Down the pike, there will be millions of adults in the United > States with autism in the next 10 years," Sinclair said. > > > > An active community of parents gives Cleveland an advantage over > other parts of the country, said Gerhardt, president of the > Organization for Autism Research, based in Arlington, Va. > > > > "It's the history of special education in general that parents > change the system," he said. > > > > nne Delauro has been an advocate for her son, Bradley, since > he was diagnosed with autism at age 2. Now 14, Bradley was one of the > first Monarch School students when it opened in 2000, but left after > three years to enroll in the Mayfield school district. > > > > When Delauro

felt that her son's needs weren't being met in middle > school, she returned to Monarch. By the time he's an adult, she just > wants him to be able to do something that he is happy doing. > > > > "It's not going to be just 'I want him to have a job,' " she > said. "We want to help him be all he can be." > > > > To reach this Plain Dealer reporter: > > > > atownsend@, 216-999-3894 > > > > > > > > © 2007 The Plain Dealer> > © 2007 cleveland.com .> > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: 1@ > > > > Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:04 PM> > Subject: Re: [ ] Moving to Cleveland> > > > > > Hi Kim, > > > > Welcome to

Cleveland! There are a lot of services to check into > here. You might want to first contact CBMR/DD (which county you will > move to) This service is available in most our counties. They > provide help for most types of special needs including autism. Did > you check through the files from the group that were sent to > you when you joined? There's resources for schools and services > listed in those. Also you can check the files if you > want to see them again. > > > > We have members all over NE Ohio and they can tell you about > their cities school districts. You might want to check the > Achievement Centers which have very good autism programs. There's > also the Cleveland Clinic Autism Center for severe autism which is > ABA based teaching. I don't have those contact numbers in front of > me but I can check and then send you the

info if you're interested. > > > > Yours, n > > > > > > In a message dated 12/26/07 10:32:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, > takeme2river@ writes: > > > > > > > > > > Hello all, > > > > My name is Kim and I have a son 7 years old with autism. We > just found > > out that my husband is being transferred to work in Beechwood. > WE will > > be moving from Pittsburg to Cleveland early 2008. > > > > Could anyone tell me what school districts are the best to work > with > > (or ones to avoid)? Also are services different by county or > location? > > > > Is there a first step in setting up services, like a > caseworker? > > > > What services are available? Any help would be greatly > appreciated. >

> We have extensive services in Pittsburgh (ABA therapy, nurses-> aides, > > etc) and are nervous about the transition. > > > > River is profoundly autistic and very limited verbally. > > > > Thanks in advance for any help. > > > > Kim > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------> ----------> > > > > > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG Free Edition. > > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.9/1197 - Release Date: > 12/25/2007 8:04 PM> >>

Hi Kim.

Just wanted to let you know that I am available, too. My name is

Meghan and I am an ABA/VB consultant based in Dayton but I

serve families in Cleveland as well. If you would like more

information, please feel free to contact me or visit my website!

www.andersonbehavioralconsulting.com

Meghan

> >

> > Thanks so much for the article. I understand you use autism

> > scholarship to cover part of the costs for this. Then do the

> parents

> > have to pay the balance. Does the school district ever pay for

> > tuition as " an approved private school " as in the IEP. My son

can

> > not be in a regular classroom as he is very agressive and has

> limited

> > speech.

> >

> > sorry for all the questions, we are trying to navigatet this

whole

> > new system and lingo.

> >

> > My husband doesn't like football, I recently became a Steelers

fan

> > cause I think Ben is awesome, but I do really like Brady Quinn. I

> > pledge to not ever wear gold and black in your presence!!! Go

> browns!

> >

> > -- In , " Mandel " <rsmandel@>

wrote:

> > >

> > > The following article appeared in the Cleveland newspaper only

> this

> > morning, Kim. There are plenty of people within this Group

> who

> > can tell you the pros and cons about both schools.

> > >

> > > Tell your husband to prepare to not be discussing the Steelers

> for

> > a while....

> > >

> > > richard m

> > >

> > > 2 autism approaches: Clinic is behavioral; Monarch uses

> technology

> > > Thursday, December 27, 2007

> > > Townsend

> > > Plain Dealer Reporter

> > > A video of a person playing with a plastic car and garage is

more

> > than entertainment for 4-year-old . As she watches, she

> mimics

> > what she sees by playing with a similar toy, maneuvering the car

up

> a

> > ramp and into a parking space.

> > >

> > > , who is in a preschool program for autistic children at

> the

> > Monarch School, can't yet replicate the car sounds she hears. But

> she

> > has made big strides from the days when she wouldn't even go near

> the

> > toy.

> > >

> > > A few miles away, at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism's

> > Lerner School, several older children work together on a lesson,

> each

> > with a teacher or other staff person nearby. In the background,

an

> > alarm chirps at intervals -- a reminder for instructors to keep

> > providing positive feedback.

> > >

> > > Autism, which affects one in about 150 children, covers a broad

> > spectrum of developmental disorders. Children with the less

severe

> > diagnoses often are educated in " regular " public or private

> schools.

> > But in Northeast Ohio, parents of children who are most severely

> > affected have two choices nearby, the Monarch and Clinic schools.

> > >

> > > Both continue to break new ground - Monarch with innovative

> > technology and the Clinic with an intensive effort to change

> > behavior.

> > >

> > > Monarch created a separate company, Monarch Teaching

Technologies

> > Inc., to develop a visually based computer program that can reach

> > children like .

> > >

> > > The product is an outgrowth of a study that the school, a part

of

> > Bellefaire Jewish Children's Bureau, embarked on in 2002 with

> Harvard

> > Medical School and two Boston hospitals.

> > >

> > > The aim: to develop a model that could be replicated in schools

> > across the country.

> > >

> > > " We want to enable teachers to create what they want and use it

> the

> > way they want without being restricted by a specific [software], "

> > said Terry , the company's chief executive.

> > >

> > > A digital library of more than 12,000 photographs provides the

> > material to create electronic flash cards, representations of

> popular

> > children's books and other tools.

> > >

> > > The children's affinity for computers helps draw them into

touch-

> > screen and other exercises that can be personalized. For example,

a

> > math lesson can be based on a virtual trip to buy groceries,

using

> > photos of the student, the family car and the inside of a

> > neighborhood store. The more familiar the components, the easier

it

> > is for the children to connect.

> > >

> > > " We can deliver quick messages to kids in an innovative way, "

> said

> > Stafford, director of instructional design for Monarch

> > Teaching Technologies. " We really want to unlock the world to our

> > kids. "

> > >

> > > About half of the Monarch students and a dozen staff members

> worked

> > on the first version of the software. A second version will be

> tested

> > in the spring.

> > >

> > > By the end of next year, the company hopes to roll out an

> Internet-

> > based tool accessible for free to a limited number of local

school

> > districts. Eventually the product will be available to parents

and

> > teachers across the country for a modest monthly fee,

said.

> > >

> > > Helping kids, with lots of praise

> > >

> > > The Clinic's school takes an approach that emphasizes working

> > intensely, one on one, to change a child's behavior and improve

the

> > quality of his or her life, said Sinclair, the center's

> > program director.

> > >

> > > " I think, quite frankly, this is what separates us from the

> pack, "

> > Sinclair said.

> > >

> > > Applied behavioral analysis - as the method is known in

> scientific

> > circles - gives needed structure to children with autism, who

often

> > have trouble learning how to play with their peers or picking up

> > basic language and social skills, she explained.

> > >

> > > The children get that in an environment consisting of 25 to 50

> > hours a week of specialized sessions. They include repetitive

> > exercises and drills tailored to each child's needs - and lots of

> > praise when progress is being made.

> > >

> > > Proximity to the Clinic's Children's Hospital provides easy

> access

> > to speech pathologists, psychologists and other medical

> > professionals.

> > >

> > > The Northeastern states are often seen as leaders in evidence-

> based

> > treatment programs and schools for autism, Sinclair said, but it

> was

> > the Clinic's school that served as a model for a Missouri

preschool

> > that opened in October.

> > >

> > > The center's new wing, scheduled to open in May, will allow the

> > school to enroll an additional 20 students. A vocational program,

> > which introduces older students to the workplace, will be

expanded.

> > >

> > > Monarch and the Cleveland Clinic may be the big names locally

in

> > education for autistic students, but others have entered the

arena.

> > >

> > > Akron-based Summit Academy operates 28 Ohio charter schools

that

> > educate children with Asperger's syndrome (a form of autism) as

> well

> > as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The chain opened a

> > school in Massachusetts this fall and is looking for space for a

> new

> > school in Cleveland.

> > >

> > > Because most schools specializing in autism deal with the most

> > severe cases, high-functioning children at the opposite end of

the

> > spectrum often get lost in the shuffle, said academy founder and

> CEO

> > DiMezza.

> > >

> > > " Making friends, feeling safe and wanted - it's very difficult

to

> > do that in most settings, " said DiMezza, who opened the first

> Summit

> > Academy in Ohio in 1999. " You have to take care of those needs

> before

> > you can get into the academics. "

> > >

> > > As children get older, the biggest challenge facing educators

is

> > how to prepare them for life after school.

> > >

> > > " Down the pike, there will be millions of adults in the United

> > States with autism in the next 10 years, " Sinclair said.

> > >

> > > An active community of parents gives Cleveland an advantage

over

> > other parts of the country, said Gerhardt, president of the

> > Organization for Autism Research, based in Arlington, Va.

> > >

> > > " It's the history of special education in general that parents

> > change the system, " he said.

> > >

> > > nne Delauro has been an advocate for her son, Bradley,

since

> > he was diagnosed with autism at age 2. Now 14, Bradley was one of

> the

> > first Monarch School students when it opened in 2000, but left

> after

> > three years to enroll in the Mayfield school district.

> > >

> > > When Delauro felt that her son's needs weren't being met in

> middle

> > school, she returned to Monarch. By the time he's an adult, she

> just

> > wants him to be able to do something that he is happy doing.

> > >

> > > " It's not going to be just 'I want him to have a job,' " she

> > said. " We want to help him be all he can be. "

> > >

> > > To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

> > >

> > > atownsend@, 216-999-3894

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > © 2007 The Plain Dealer

> > > © 2007 cleveland.com .

> > > ----- Original Message -----

> > > From: 1@

> > >

> > > Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:04 PM

> > > Subject: Re: [ ] Moving to Cleveland

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi Kim,

> > >

> > > Welcome to Cleveland! There are a lot of services to check

> into

> > here. You might want to first contact CBMR/DD (which county you

> will

> > move to) This service is available in most our counties. They

> > provide help for most types of special needs including autism.

Did

> > you check through the files from the group that were

sent

> to

> > you when you joined? There's resources for schools and services

> > listed in those. Also you can check the files if

you

> > want to see them again.

> > >

> > > We have members all over NE Ohio and they can tell you about

> > their cities school districts. You might want to check the

> > Achievement Centers which have very good autism programs.

There's

> > also the Cleveland Clinic Autism Center for severe autism which

is

> > ABA based teaching. I don't have those contact numbers in front

of

> > me but I can check and then send you the info if you're

interested.

> > >

> > > Yours, n

> > >

> > >

> > > In a message dated 12/26/07 10:32:13 PM Eastern Standard

Time,

> > takeme2river@ writes:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Hello all,

> > >

> > > My name is Kim and I have a son 7 years old with autism. We

> > just found

> > > out that my husband is being transferred to work in

> Beechwood.

> > WE will

> > > be moving from Pittsburg to Cleveland early 2008.

> > >

> > > Could anyone tell me what school districts are the best to

> work

> > with

> > > (or ones to avoid)? Also are services different by county

or

> > location?

> > >

> > > Is there a first step in setting up services, like a

> > caseworker?

> > >

> > > What services are available? Any help would be greatly

> > appreciated.

> > > We have extensive services in Pittsburgh (ABA therapy,

nurses-

> > aides,

> > > etc) and are nervous about the transition.

> > >

> > > River is profoundly autistic and very limited verbally.

> > >

> > > Thanks in advance for any help.

> > >

> > > Kim

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ----------------------------------------------------------------

--

> --

> > ----------

> > >

> > >

> > > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> > > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.9/1197 - Release

> Date:

> > 12/25/2007 8:04 PM

> > >

> >

>

Has anyone else here had experience with Re Education Services in Lake

county. They have a location in Mentor and . The center in Mentor

does have an autism wing. I thought I would throw that out there as an

option to investigate. They are located in the old Reynolds Elementary

School in Mentor.

-- In , " Mandel " <rsmandel@...> wrote:

>

> Another option -- http://www.pepcleve.org/serv_school_autism.html

>

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Just to let you know, my school district (Garfield Heights) is doing very well with my son. Our elementry school (wm foster) had a good IEP for my son, he's now in middle school (Mapleleaf) and they're doing a good job for him there too. I do have to mention that I have my son on dietary and that works wonders for keeping him calm and able to learn so I'm not sure how much I can claim the school is doing for him except that they have a good IEP and they listen to parents. My son's teacher is always willing to listen and work with me on different ideas to help my son. --

They did have some difficulty with my son when he had colds/viruses which make him more stemmy and irritable.

Another good idea is to mention Achievement centers for children pre-school to 4th grade has a wonderful autism program.

Yours Most Truly,

n

In a message dated 5/24/09 4:16:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, matthew_t_knight@... writes:

I have a son on the spectrum and have been VERY impressed by the school system in Solon. Teachers are willing, they are open to parental input and truly embrace children with differing needs here in the school & community. The local Rec center has many programs available that my son participates in.

We also have a High schooler and a kindergartner and the experience they are getting is excellent.

I cannot speak highly enough of this school district.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer off list also.

Guest guest

Solon would be an excellent place The schools rank nationally. I dont Know how they are with our spectrum kids. Ohio in general is behind when it comes to students with special needs.

Be blessed

Sharon

From: Knight <matthew_t_knight@...>Subject: [ ] Moving to Cleveland" " < >Date: Sunday, May 24, 2009, 4:16 PM

I have a son on the spectrum and have been VERY impressed by the school system in Solon. Teachers are willing, they are open to parental input and truly embrace children with differing needs here in the school & community. The local Rec center has many programs available that my son participates in.We also have a High schooler and a kindergartner and the experience they are getting is excellent.I cannot speak highly enough of this school district.If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer off list also.