RemedySpot.com

RECIPES for the WEEK 12/28 Marilyn's HAPPY NEW YEAR

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dachshunds (Hot Dogs)3-4 feet large collagen casing Large collagen casing is available from any sausage supply shop, or, on the net, from http://www.leeners.com. I use the collagen casing because it's easier than real casings, no soaking and all the rest. Or you can just roll hot dogs and bake them in foil.2 ½ pounds ground round1 teaspoon ground coriander1 teaspoon paprika½ teaspoon ground mustard seed or 1 teaspoon legal Creole mustard¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg¼ teaspoon dried marjoram2 tablespoons homemade onion powder -or- ¼ cup finely minced fresh*yellow onion¼ teaspoon homemade garlic powder -or- 1 or 2 fingers garlic, pressed*2 teaspoons

honey1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon white pepper1 eggWhirl dry spices in a blender to fully combine (or mix well with a whisk in a bowl), then add to the meat. If onion and garlic are not dry, add them. Mix well. When you think you have it mixed, keep mixing.Add the egg[1]. Mix well again.Stuff mixture into the casings according to the directions for your stuffer. (I use an inexpensive jerky shooter for this.) Prick air pockets and twist off in 6-8 inch links. If separate sausages are desired, tie off each link with a piece of string, then cut between the two links. Otherwise, do not cut apart.If you do not have a stuffer, form hot dog sized pieces of mixture and wrap well in foil for baking. If hot dogs are in cases, boil in gently simmering water for about 20 minutes. Otherwise, bake at 215°F for about 45 minutes[2]. Serve. Or, allow to cool, and then freeze for later

reheating.Variations:· Use half beef and half pork· Substitute mace for nutmeg· Use ground turkey or chickenAdapted from Home Sausage Making, by Mahnke Peery and G.Reavis.[1] Several recipes call for 1 egg white and ¼ cup SCD illegal milk. I use a whole egg. You could also use the egg yolk, 2 tablespoons water, and 2 tablespoons yogurt cheese. For an egg-free version, substitute ¼ - cup peeled, cooked, puréed vegetable, such as zucchini (courgettes). For a dairy-free version, simply omit the yogurt cheese. Haven't kitchen tested an egg-free and dairy-free version.[2] I have always baked mine. *Onion Powder (LSCDL Recipe) While fresh onion is

preferred in most recipes, sometimes, you just don'thave any on hand. And some recipes need the dry spices. That's when having a legal onion powder is very useful.Commercial onion powders are illegal because the majority of them haveanti-caking agents, such as rice flour, cornstarch, and other nasties, evenif they aren't listed on the label.I typically buy and peel two five pound bags of yellow onions. By doing allthe peeling and slicing and chopping at once, my fingers don't have to getstinky every time I use onion.One bag is chopped and put in half-cup containers or in zip top bags andgoes in the freezer. When I need onion, I grab a box or bag, let it defrostfor a few minutes, and use. Slice the other bag (after peeling) very thin with a very sharp knife. Layout on dehydrator trays or on parchment covered cake cooling racks.In the dehydrator, dry at around 135F until onion is dry and snaps. In theoven, heat at the

lowest temperature your oven has until onion is dry andsnaps.Place dried onion in blender or food processor and process until powdered.Store in a zip lock container with a food safe moisture absorbent pack *Garlic Powder (LSCDL Recipe)While fresh garlic is preferred in most recipes, sometimes, you just don'thave any on hand. And some recipes need the dry spices. That's when having a legal garlic powder is very useful.Commercial garlic powders are illegal because the majority of them haveanti-caking agents, such as rice flour, cornstarch, and other nasties, evenif they aren't listed on the label.I typically buy and peel about 3 pounds of fresh garlic. By the time I'mdone peeling,

I have about 2 pounds of fresh, peeled garlic. By doing itall at once, my fingers don't have to get stinky every time I use garlic. One pound goes in a large ziplock box and goes in the freezer. I can reachin, pop out a couple of fingers, let them defrost for a few minutes, andthen press and use. I find that the frozen garlic presses easier, and morecompletely, and because the cell walls are broken by the freezing, I seemto get more flavor without the zing! that garlic sometimes has.The other pound is sliced very thin with a very sharp knife. Lay out ondehydrator trays or on parchment covered cake cooling racks.In the dehydrator, dry at around 135F until garlic is dry and snaps. In theoven, heat at the lowest temperature your oven has until garlic is dry andsnaps.Place garlic in blender or food processor and process until

powdered. Storein a zip top container with a food safe moisture absorbent pack.Note: if you decide you are going to peel and slice more than 2-3 pounds,buying thin, light rubber gloves (or a non-latex alternative) at the drugstore to protect your fingers is a good idea. The one time I didn't havethese, I ended up with no fingerprints and "burned" fingers from theintensity of the garlic. Chili Powder3 tsp powdered Ancho chiles2 tsp oregano (crushed)1 tsp ground cumin3/4 tsp homemade garlic powderPlace all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until fullypowdered.For Medium Heat Chili Powder, Add: 1 teaspoon cayenne pepperFor Hot Chili Powder, Add: 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon crushedred pepperVariations:Add: 2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds3/4 tsp ground clovesAdd: 1-2 teaspoons paprikaBTW, I order my ancho chiles from http://www.penzeys.com. DO NOT trust theirspicemixtures -- many of them have sugar in them, but the plain spices are Date Syrup Pit the dates (I'm thinking largish Medjools here) -- maybe a dozen or so. Place in the top of a double boiler. Add about half a cup of water, and cover. Cook over briskly boiling water for an hour or so. Remove from heat and allow to cool somewhat before blending smooth with either a hand blender or in a regular blender.If using pitted cherries, blueberries, etc, process through a food mill to remove skins, and then strain to remove small seeds. You could substitute either the date syrup or another fruit sauce that is tolerated for the honey.Wizop Marilyn L. Alm louisianascdlagniappe@...

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.