RemedySpot.com

RECIPES for the WEEK 1/11 Marilyn's Have a SCDiet week end!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Celeriac "Mashed Potatoes" (LSCDL Recipe)4 good-sized celeriac (peeled weight 300-500 grams each), sliced on a mandolin.1 stick (4 ounces) butter, coconut oil, or ghee4 ounces DCCC or really well-drained yogurt cheese (optional if doing dairy free)1 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon white pepperBoil celeriac slices in water, much the way one would boil potatoes. To reduce coloring, add 1-2 tablespoons white vinegar to the water. After they are tender, drain thoroughly.With a hand-blender (Bamix or similar. Mine's a relatively inexpensive one by Braun), whiz the cooked celeriac up nice and creamy. Add butter and dry curd cottage cheese, white pepper and salt. Again whiz with the hand blender until everything is smooth and well-blended. Variation: These were great just as they were -- I chose to add 2 ounces freshly shredded Parmesan

cheese, and 4 ounces freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese.Note: They went really, really well with turkey gravy on them. I'm betting that if anyone has a good shepherd's pie recipe that can be adapted to SCD, this would work as well or better than the cauliflower mashed potatoes. The bean paste potatoes work well. These are much, much better! <g> Celeriac is pretty fibrous, so may not be suited for people with strictures and such like. Curry Powder (LSCDL Recipe) Dinner May 3, 2004Just as there is no one, true chili powder, Creole or Cajun seasoning, there is no one, true, and only curry powder. This one was concocted after a lot of research through cookbooks and on the Net, and works reasonably well. It has in common with south Louisiana dishes the penchant for a laundry list of seasonings, all blended together. tsp ground cinnamontsp ground cardamomtsp ground clovestsp ground coriander seedtsp ground cumin seed tsp ground ginger¼ tsp ground chili pepper¼ tsp homemade garlic powder¼ tsp ground pepperpinch turmeric (optional) In a blender or food processor, mix all spices together until the color is even. This will add a zing to scrambled eggs, baked chicken, vegetables, and just about anything you care to put it on. Curried Honey Chicken (LSCDL Recipe)2 tablespoons honey2 tablespoons

freshly squeezed lemon juice2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons curry powder1 3-4 pound chicken or chicken pieces Remove excess fat and giblets from the chicken.[1] Wing tips may also be trimmed and frozen in a bag until you have enough to make stock. Combine honey, lemon juice, and olive oil and rub inside the cavity and all over the chicken, or brush both sides of the pieces. Use one tablespoon curry powder to rub inside the cavity, and one to rub on the outside of the bird, or dust both sides of the chicken with the curry powder.Tie drumsticks together with a piece of string.

Pin wings close to the body, or bind with string. Place bird in a roasting pan and cover loosely with foil. Roast in a 375°F oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Mock Rice Pilaf (LSCDL Recipe)This recipe was inspired by the wonderful rice pilaf I used to get with the Gyros platter from a small mom and pop Greek restaurant called Mother’s in old Gretna, Louisiana. 1 large cauliflower1 medium red bell pepper, peeled, seeded, and chopped (optional)4 tablespoons olive oil1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest -or- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice if zest is not yet tolerated1 teaspoon dried oregano½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper6 fingers garlic, pressed1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, -or- 1 pound fresh spinach leaves, roots and stems removed, torn

into pieces (optional)2 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into wedges½ cup Sue’s Goat Cheese, optional or TzasikiRemove leaves and core cauliflower. Steam until very tender, then cool enough to handle. Chop finely into “rice grain” size bits.Heat olive oil in a pan, and sauté garlic for a few minutes, then add bell pepper and cook until tender. Add the spinach leaves and the spices and cover tightly. Cook about ten minutes, or until spinach is well wilted. Add the cauliflower and stir well to mix and heat. Serve, topped with Sue’s Goat Cheese or Tzasiki. Goes well with a pile of sliced Greek Gyros alongside. Herb Bread (LSCDL Recipe)3 cups almond flour½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped -or- ¼ cup dry¼ cup fresh chives, finely chopped -or- 2 tablespoons freeze dried½ teaspoon dry oregano -or- 2 teaspoons fresh finely chopped½ teaspoon dry thyme -or- 2 teaspoons fresh½ teaspoon

baking sodapinch of salt3 extra large eggs3 Tablespoons melted butter¾ cup dry curd cottage cheese8 cloves of garlic pressed Combine almond flour, herbs and baking soda and salt in a bowl. Blend the eggs, butter, dry curd cottage cheese (or dripped yogurt) and pressed garlic in a processor or blender until very, very smooth. Add to the seasoned almond flour and mix together. You should have a fairly stiff dough. If you do not, add almond flour, a quarter cup at a time, until you do.Turn dough into a parchment or wax paper lined 2x4 x?bread pan. Bake at 325°F Variation: Add 2¼ cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces weight or 110 grams) to the almond flour before adding the wet

ingredients. This recipe is based on the Lois Lang Bread in Breaking the Vicious Cycle, and on the Herb-Parmesan cracker recipe by Sue Krivel. It came about because I was planning to see what would happen if I baked the dough as a loaf, not as crackers. A telephone call interrupted me, and I continued putting things together, then realized (naturally, after the loaf had been in the oven for half an hour!) that the cheese was still sitting in its bag on the counter! Reciting the SCD cook’s mantra (With these ingredients, how bad can it be?) I finished baking the loaf. It was delicious.Tzasiki Greek Dressing (LSCDL Recipe)Tzasiki is another of those dressings for which there are as many variations as there are people to make and eat them. This Greek dressing is already made with yogurt, so there is hardly any work to adapt existing recipes. Have also omitted the cucumber and simply

doubled the yogurt.1 cup whole milk yogurt cheese1 finely shredded peeled and seeded cucumber2 cloves garlic, minced or ½ teaspoon homemade garlic powder1 tablespoon olive oil1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice1 teaspoon minced fresh dill or ¼ teaspoon dry¼ - ½ teaspoon white pepper½ - 1 teaspoon salt (optional)Press the shredded cucumber between two paper towels to remove some of the moisture. Blend all ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours to allow the flavors to blend. Variations: · Omit dill and use mint.· Add ¼ teaspoon thyme· Use white or red wine vinegar instead of lemon juice· Omit cucumber and double yogurtPeanut Butter Brownies[2] (LSCDL Recipe)1 16 oz jar legal peanut

butter¾ cup honey1 stick butter2 jumbo eggs or 3 large eggs1 teaspoon cinnamon½ teaspoon baking sodaDash salt (optional)Blend eggs, peanut butter, butter, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Blend in honey. This will be a very thick, very smooth mixture which will probably try to climb out of the bowl by way of your mixer’s beaters. I usually have to stop, and push it back into the bowl several times. Drag into buttered, parchment-lined 9” square pan. Bake in preheated oven 55 minutes at 300°F.Note: this mixture burn/browns very easily, so the lower temperature works better.[1] Livers can be frozen until you have enough to make pâté. Hearts and

gizzards may be cooked, then ground to add to giblet gravy.[2] This recipe is adapted from a very popular one circulated on the SCD list serve. Because we did not use peanut butter for anything except making brownies or peanut butter bread, I tinkered with the ingredients so that it worked with the whole jar of legal peanut butter that I could get at my grocery. And the cinnamon adds a nice splash of extra flavor. Sesame Sauce for Salmon Sesame Oil on sea bream -- brush the filets with it, then sprinkle with a mixture of powdered ginger, homemade garlic powder and dry mustard. Then grill on medium heat in my Foreman grill. Dill goes well with Salmon, why not try brushing the filets with the sesame oil, and sprinkling lightly with dry dill, then grilling or broiling the salmon? Sauce 1 tablespoon or two of well-dripped yogurt, blend with a tablespoon of Sesame Oil, and add dry or freshly snipped dill to the mixture (and let it stand in the refrigerator for the flavors to marry for an hour or two before grilling your fish), then ladle that on the fish after it's cooked.Or you could go with Sesame Oil and fresh lemon juice, maybe a three-to-one ratio of oil to lemon."Wizop Marilyn L. Alm" LouisianaSCDLagniappe@... ________________________________________Loving Care Grammy Gay CD-1994,SCD-1997 Web Site: http://www.SCDiet.net/ Warning:personal posts on the list serves can be googled.Put in Subject: SCD or I may not see your post to me. Tell me where you live to find

SCD Pals and Doctors. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SCD Store:http://www.scdiet.com/store/index.html Chalmers*LIST OF SCD FOODS: Email to scdiet@... at no charge. In the subject put CARD REQUEST Give your name and address to get it snail mail.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.