RemedySpot.com

Re: Academic Help

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Try calling a local university or college, even a high school and see if you can get someone to post your search for a tutor on a board there. You could even go to the school. Call the education department. College kids are always looking for ways to pick up extra cash and you might be able to find someone majoring in special ed. It would be a great opportunity for them I found a tutor for my son this way and it really helped him.yarchgirl <yarchgirl@...> wrote: Hello,My son, Jake, will be starting kindergarten in the fall. He has been in school since he was 2. I am trying to get him used to the fact that he has to practice academics (writing his name, ect). He is giving us resistance, as i'm sure you are all used to. However, at school he listens to his teachers and does everything they

ask of him. I need him to get used to doing academic excersizes at home as well. Do you know of anyone interested in tutoring him in our home? Im looking for someone who has at least some exprerience with kids with autism. Someone who is animated enough to motivate him. I know some of you moms could even do it!Please let me know if you or anyone you know might be interested. Jake is 5, and is high-functioning. He knows all of his colors, numbers, shapes, ect. I just need someone to help with mainly writing, cutting with scissors, and listning to direction to help prepare him for kindergarten. We are willing to negotiate pay.Thank you from a very frustrated mom! *** Events and Important Notes...Biomedical Group Meetings:NEO-NAA and join together to provide biomedical support to families who have children with autism and related conditions. These meeting are for

everyone who is considering to broaden the intervention approaches used. Next Upcoming Date: Feb 25th 7:00-9:00pm in Brecksville Community Center. 1 Community Drive, Brecksville, OH See more info at: http://hometown.aol.com/parentschat/biomeetings.html~~~ ~~~ ~~~Monthly Meeting with ASGC.The first Tuesday of each month we meet with the Autism Society of Greater Cleveland. The ASGC brings in speakers of all topics regarding services and resources for all families who have loved ones with autism. A Childcare activities program is provided for both children on the spectrum and their siblings on site and is covered by the ASGC. Location: Cuyahoga Valley Career Center 8001 Brecksville Road, Brecksville OH. For *Childcare RSVP to: 216-556-4937~~~ ~~~ ~~~Come chat with us. Internet Chat Wednesday evenings 9:30pm EST. Topics include: IEP, Schooling Issues, Dietary support, toilet/potty training and open topic night. For weekly topic list (on

right side) or other resources: See http://hometown.aol.com/parentschat/homepage.html~~~ ~~~Thanks to ASGC and all who attended out Christmas party! It was a great turnout and close to 200 attended. Here's the link for the photos with Santa. To find and download your picture, click on the following link: http://www.asgc.org/special-Holiday_Party-2007_images01.htmRight click the photo and save to your hard drive or a disk.~~~ ~~~ ~~~Help raise money for ASO http://www.goodsearch.com Verify: Autism Society of Akron, Ohio~~~ ~~~ ~~~Our Parent Contact list - View & print by City /database?method=reportRows & tbl=2 & sortBy=3 & sortDir=down & startAt= & prntRpt=

Both of our children are very high functioning. We've used our ABA

programs to focus on academic skills (e.g., testing taking, completing

worksheets, reading, math facts, cutting with scissors, writing name,

etc.). We've also used it to work on teaching self-help skills (e.g.,

making the bed, tying shoes, washing face, taking a shower, brushing

teeth, etc.). There are a number of websites that can help you locate

tutors; however, make sure you check all references (and if possible,

conduct background searches). Some of the sites are autismtutors.com;

abaconnections.com; milestones.org; and cleveland.craigslist.org.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Debbie Z.