RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: New to Group- Hello!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi

Thanks for your email! It's great to hear other people's stories; it makes us feel not as alone in our journey. I agree about telling people when the person needs to know; we have told his kindermusik teacher and my gym teachers so they understand why he does the things that he does, and it has helped tremendously in classes. As for strangers, I don't bring it up, especially if they are rude or ignorant. It's just not worth my time. As for peers, I agree that's a hard call. Since we aren't there yet, I haven't thought about it much, but when you brought it up, it got me thinking. I am not sure what we will do when the time comes. How old is your son?

Again, thanks for your email. I feel like I have made a new group of friends already!

Laurie

From: picklespaw@...Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 04:35:34 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

Welcome, Laurie!! It sounds like you are at a beginning point on your journey! I am so impressed that you caught the symptoms early and got help early on - you didn't let the doctors slough off your concerns! That's just great!! I didn't catch my son's symptoms until later, and then I thought he just had autistic tendencies. I didn't seek help until he was 3 years old because I figured that's when the schools were mandated to help. I'm sure your little boy will progress with early intervention.You asked how we handled it when our child was first diagnosed. I was devastateed. That surprised me because I suspected - was almost certain - that he had autism. But I guess when I saw it in black and white, I realized that what I envisioned for my son when he was born wasn't going to happen. But with the appropriate help and supports, my son's ability to communicate has improved tremendously.About whether or not to tell others, and when. Well, I always told on a need-to-know basis - even when strangers came up to me and said that all my son needed was a good spanking. Of course, those comments drove me crazy, but why would I then tell such a rude person about my son's private medical history? I don't care if rude people (or not-so-rude people who keep their comments and opinions to themselves) think I'm a bad parent. I think I'm a pretty good parent (not perfect though), and I focus on getting my son the help he needs.But I do tell people who might need to know, like Sunday school teachers - who might think my son isn't paying attention or is bad if I don't explain his behavior. Practically speaking, would telling a certain person help your son? That should be part of the criteria of whether or not to tell. So I wouldn't tell a stranger at the store, but I would tell an adult who will have sustained contact with my son.One thing that I haven't done but wondered if I should, should we tell his peers, such as his classmates? Would that knowledge help them understand my son, or would it ostrasize him more? It's hard to say.You found a great group of people here, who are willing to share knowledge. You are starting the services your son needs early. You have physicians who are giving good advice. It sounds like you are on the right track! I look forward to hearing more from you. Feel free to give good reports, or ask questions. Other parents have shared difficult moments and their children's victories. Chris>> Hi Everyone,> > My name is Laurie, and my husband and I live in Twinsburg with our > 19 month old son, Cameron. I am a pediatric nurse, and have been a > stay at home mom since Cameron was born. My husband is an > optometrist. Cameron was born healthy, and met his milestones as he > should have until about 10-11 months old, when I felt he was lacking > in some of his social communication; no pointing, not always > responding to his name, not playing peek-a-boo, and not waving or > clapping. Our pediatrican told us to keep on eye on him, since > testing couldn't be done until around 18 months old. At 17 months > old, I couldn't wait anymore. We went to a developmental > pediatrician who basically asked us a bunch of questions and told us > Cameron needed speech and OT. She did no testing with him. So, we > found another developmental pediatrician who met with us for an > hour, and scheduled two 1-hour testing sessions with Cameron. We've > had 1 testing session so far, and go back this week for the 2nd. She > already told us that based on her findings so far, that Cameron > falls in the PDD-NOS category for diagnosis. This was not a surprise > to us, but still difficult to actually hear the words. She said to > continue with the speech and OT, and recommended some home-based > intervention through the Monarch school or Cleveland Clinic Center > for Autism. Because of Cameron's age and less severe diagnosis, we > chose the Monarch school. They are coming out Monday to discuss > their services. > > I have great friends who love us like family, but they can't truly > understand what we are going through. We certainly know that things > could be a lot worse, and we are grateful that Cameron is fuctionig > at the level he is, but it is still hard to watch him try to > communicate, and not be able to. It is hard to see all of my > friend's kids talking and playing with toys appropriately, while > Cameron still makes baby noises and would rather open and close > cabinet doors than play. At his age, he can still get away with > some of the abormal behaviors and speech because people still think > it's "cute." But as he gets older, it becomes more apparent that he > is differnt than other kids. My husband and I find ourselves > feeling the need to "explain" what he has, so that other people > understand, and not just think, "what is wrong with that kid?" When > people know, they seem much more understanding and accepting of him. > We aren't sure that is the best way to handle this, but it's our way > and it seems to work for us. How did you all handle it when your > child was first diagnosed? Did you tell people, to help "explain" > the behaviors your kids were displaying, or did you wait for people > to ask, or did you just not say anything?> > Other than speech and OT, we are involved in Kindermusik and My Gym, > and have lots of play dates with our friends. Some days we are so > busy, I don't even have time to think about what we are going > through. Some days are bad, and it's all I can think about. So I > hope this group is a way to share those hard days, as well as the > triumphs we will have along the way.> > Thanks for reading this, and I hope to get to know you all soon!> > Laurie>

Hi ,

Thanks for your email! I think I feel as you do about who to tell and when. Some of our family has been in denial; "he'll catch up" or, "don't worry so much." But as time has gone on, most of them have come around. I am very protective of him, though; when someone (especially a family member) makes a rude comment (intentional or unintentional), I tend to defend him...the mom claws come out! I will not tolerate people acting as though he's a problem child (especially when their own kids are terrors...and they're typical!) Some people are so insensitive...but I guess they can't help it, and I can't change their behavior, only how I respond to it.

I appreciate your comments. I look forward to hearing more from you and other group members in the future!

Laurie

From: mystique2574@...Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 06:21:34 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

Hi Laurie!Welcome to the group! Reading your post made me remember what our first diagnosis was like.. like you we suspected when our son was just about a year old.. but we kept hearing oh he's a boy they develop slower..and he's the 2nd child.. so your daughter is probably doing all the talking for him..and you can't compare him to his sister.. but luckily we were able to find a doctor who listened to our concerns and Kiernan was diagnosed at just over 2 years old...wow.. almost 4 years ago now! As to your questions.. when we first found out it was a roller coaster of emotions.. we were devastated.. not knowing what the future would hold for our son or us.. but at the same time it was a relief that it wasn't just in our heads that there was an issue and it now had a name and we could deal with it.. We did make a point of letting all of our family members know as well as friends so that they would know... not really to explain his behavior but so they would understand that he wasn't going to be just like all the other kids and that yes.. he was going to behave differently at times.. but it didn't mean he was being bad or that we weren't good parents.. it also helps when they see you trying different techniques to calm him or restrain him.. or why he won't play with their children.. and our parents really had a hard time with it.. they went thru a roller coaster like we did.. just on a different level.. it wasn't until not to long ago when my mother-in-law said she finally realized that he wouldn't just wake up normal one day.. As for other people.. it depends on my mood... I mean of course people at church and that know... but there are times when I feel it necessary to say something to those that want to make rude comments.. only because if they are willing to say it loud enough for me to hear..or directed at us.. then i'm going to say something... it may just be that they have never seen a child with Autism before.. on any level of the spectrum.. personally though I have seen typical children that act worse in public places than some of our children!I don't feel there is anything wrong with educating someone when done in a polite manner.. the children in my son's class have been told so that they can learn about the differences and learn to be accepting of not only him but all children with differences.. why not do the same with adults? With physical disabilities people can see right away something is wrong..nothing has to be said to explain anything.. with mental and neurological disabilities there isn't a physical sign.. and unfortunately in our society there isn't alot of acceptance and tolerance.. and that is what our children are going to need.. Well enough rambling from me... I guess the best way I can leave it is.. do what you are comfortable with... don't feel you have to explain your child's behavior.. but don't feel guilty if you do.. there is nothing wrong with letting someone else know that your child is different.. if anything it may make them think before opening their mouths in the future as well as educating them a bit about Autism.. :)Again, Welcome! >> Hi Everyone,> > My name is Laurie, and my husband and I live in Twinsburg with our > 19 month old son, Cameron. I am a pediatric nurse, and have been a > stay at home mom since Cameron was born. My husband is an > optometrist. Cameron was born healthy, and met his milestones as he > should have until about 10-11 months old, when I felt he was lacking > in some of his social communication; no pointing, not always > responding to his name, not playing peek-a-boo, and not waving or > clapping. Our pediatrican told us to keep on eye on him, since > testing couldn't be done until around 18 months old. At 17 months > old, I couldn't wait anymore. We went to a developmental > pediatrician who basically asked us a bunch of questions and told us > Cameron needed speech and OT. She did no testing with him. So, we > found another developmental pediatrician who met with us for an > hour, and scheduled two 1-hour testing sessions with Cameron. We've > had 1 testing session so far, and go back this week for the 2nd. She > already told us that based on her findings so far, that Cameron > falls in the PDD-NOS category for diagnosis. This was not a surprise > to us, but still difficult to actually hear the words. She said to > continue with the speech and OT, and recommended some home-based > intervention through the Monarch school or Cleveland Clinic Center > for Autism. Because of Cameron's age and less severe diagnosis, we > chose the Monarch school. They are coming out Monday to discuss > their services. > > I have great friends who love us like family, but they can't truly > understand what we are going through. We certainly know that things > could be a lot worse, and we are grateful that Cameron is fuctionig > at the level he is, but it is still hard to watch him try to > communicate, and not be able to. It is hard to see all of my > friend's kids talking and playing with toys appropriately, while > Cameron still makes baby noises and would rather open and close > cabinet doors than play. At his age, he can still get away with > some of the abormal behaviors and speech because people still think > it's "cute." But as he gets older, it becomes more apparent that he > is differnt than other kids. My husband and I find ourselves > feeling the need to "explain" what he has, so that other people > understand, and not just think, "what is wrong with that kid?" When > people know, they seem much more understanding and accepting of him. > We aren't sure that is the best way to handle this, but it's our way > and it seems to work for us. How did you all handle it when your > child was first diagnosed? Did you tell people, to help "explain" > the behaviors your kids were displaying, or did you wait for people > to ask, or did you just not say anything?> > Other than speech and OT, we are involved in Kindermusik and My Gym, > and have lots of play dates with our friends. Some days we are so > busy, I don't even have time to think about what we are going > through. Some days are bad, and it's all I can think about. So I > hope this group is a way to share those hard days, as well as the > triumphs we will have along the way.> > Thanks for reading this, and I hope to get to know you all soon!> > Laurie>

In a message dated 1/7/2008 3:05:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, strongsmom@... writes:

Hi Laurie,Reading your story brought back many memories, not very happy ones. However, through the years (and many miracle breakthroughs) it has all turned out for the good. I firmly believe in the power of true prayer. Ask for guidance each and every morning and night. Trust that guidance and move forward. You know your child and you know what is right. When we found out our daughter was on the spectrum (also at 18 months) we prayed and some really wonderful people came into our lives. She has been under Monarch Early Intervention home program since she was two; is with Middleburg Early Education in Middleburg Heights; does receive OT but you will find as your child changes your OT's will change--- Cheri Wojton of Sensory Connection and Barrie Galvin; Padula for Speech and (also changes with need); Paddy O'Flynn for Cranial Sacral therapy and Dr. Taxman for GI problems. Amazing, amazing professionals within our community. She is also on the GF/CF diet. Dr. Taxman has also had her on supplements since she was 18 months-- fish oil, probiotics, and a supplement. She is truly a different child. She is amazing. Speech has come, play has come and she is closing the gap on her development (peds put her at 6 months behind). This is not about me but I don't want to worry about the future because you are moving and doing what is right. Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep praying, move forward and don't look back. Don't question. Don't compare. Just keep moving forward and have faith. Try not to spend too much time at the computer (ah-- sometimes until 3:00 am crying, etc from the author) it can also hurt you. In this community you are going to meet some amazing, and not so amazing, people who you will be truly blessed to know. Please post during those sad times-- it is good to know your not alone :-) > Laurie <laurie4098@...> wrote:> Hi Everyone,> > My name is Laurie, and my husband and I live in Twinsburg with our > 19 month old son, Cameron. I am a pediatric nurse, and have been a > stay at home mom since Cameron was born. My husband is an > optometrist. Cameron was born healthy, and met his milestones as he > should have until about 10-11 months old, when I felt he was lacking > in some of his social communication; no pointing, not always > responding to his name, not playing peek-a-boo, and not waving or > clapping. Our pediatrican told us to keep on eye on him, since > testing couldn't be done until around 18 months old. At 17 months > old, I couldn't wait anymore. We went to a developmental > pediatrician who basically asked us a bunch of questions and told us > Cameron needed speech and OT. She did no testing with him. So, we > found another developmental pediatrician who met with us for an > hour, and scheduled two 1-hour testing sessions with Cameron. We've > had 1 testing session so far, and go back this week for the 2nd. She > already told us that based on her findings so far, that Cameron > falls in the PDD-NOS category for diagnosis. This was not a surprise > to us, but still difficult to actually hear the words. She said to > continue with the speech and OT, and recommended some home-based > intervention through the Monarch school or Cleveland Clinic Center > for Autism. Because of Cameron's age and less severe diagnosis, we > chose the Monarch school. They are coming out Monday to discuss > their services. > > I have great friends who love us like family, but they can't truly > understand what we are going through. We certainly know that things > could be a lot worse, and we are grateful that Cameron is fuctionig > at the level he is, but it is still hard to watch him try to > communicate, and not be able to. It is hard to see all of my > friend's kids talking and playing with toys appropriately, while > Cameron still makes baby noises and would rather open and close > cabinet doors than play. At his age, he can still get away with > some of the abormal behaviors and speech because people still think > it's "cute." But as he gets older, it becomes more apparent that he > is differnt than other kids. My husband and I find ourselves > feeling the need to "explain" what he has, so that other people > understand, and not just think, "what is wrong with that kid?" When > people know, they seem much more understanding and accepting of him. > We aren't sure that is the best way to handle this, but it's our way > and it seems to work for us. How did you all handle it when your > child was first diagnosed? Did you tell people, to help "explain" > the behaviors your kids were displaying, or did you wait for people > to ask, or did you just not say anything?> > Other than speech and OT, we are involved in Kindermusik and My Gym, > and have lots of play dates with our friends. Some days we are so > busy, I don't even have time to think about what we are going > through. Some days are bad, and it's all I can think about. So I > hope this group is a way to share those hard days, as well as the > triumphs we will have along the way.> > Thanks for reading this, and I hope to get to know you all soon!> > Laurie> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.>

Hi Laurie,

Our family has had help over the past 8 years from almost everyone listed in the last posting.

It is an incredible and much needed team approach.

Take care,

ShariStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

In a message dated 1/7/2008 4:07:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, laurie4098@... writes:

Thank you for your reply! If I may ask, how long after you changed to the GF/CF diet did you notice a change in your daughter? Have you been seeing Dr. Taxman since your daughter was 18 months old, also? Do you think the supplements made a difference? We are seeing Barrie Galvin tomorrow for an OT eval; we had another OT before, but are changing for insurance reasons. Cameron is in speech at Barrie Galvin's and we love our therapist (). Thanks in advance for your reply! Laurie

From: strongsmom Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:00:50 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

Hi Laurie,Reading your story brought back many memories, not very happy ones. However, through the years (and many miracle breakthroughs) it has all turned out for the good. I firmly believe in the power of true prayer. Ask for guidance each and every morning and night. Trust that guidance and move forward. You know your child and you know what is right. When we found out our daughter was on the spectrum (also at 18 months) we prayed and some really wonderful people came into our lives. She has been under Monarch Early Intervention home program since she was two; is with Middleburg Early Education in Middleburg Heights; does receive OT but you will find as your child changes your OT's will change--- Cheri Wojton of Sensory Connection and Barrie Galvin; Padula for Speech and (also changes with need); Paddy O'Flynn for Cranial Sacral therapy and Dr. Taxman for GI problems. Amazing, amazing professionals within our community. She is also on the GF/CF diet. Dr. Taxman has also had her on supplements since she was 18 months-- fish oil, probiotics, and a supplement. She is truly a different child. She is amazing. Speech has come, play has come and she is closing the gap on her development (peds put her at 6 months behind). This is not about me but I don't want to worry about the future because you are moving and doing what is right. Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep praying, move forward and don't look back. Don't question. Don't compare. Just keep moving forward and have faith. Try not to spend too much time at the computer (ah-- sometimes until 3:00 am crying, etc from the author) it can also hurt you. In this community you are going to meet some amazing, and not so amazing, people who you will be truly blessed to know. Please post during those sad times-- it is good to know your not alone :-) > Laurie <laurie4098@...> wrote:> Hi Everyone,> > My name is Laurie, and my husband and I live in Twinsburg with our > 19 month old son, Cameron. I am a pediatric nurse, and have been a > stay at home mom since Cameron was born. My husband is an > optometrist. Cameron was born healthy, and met his milestones as he > should have until about 10-11 months old, when I felt he was lacking > in some of his social communication; no pointing, not always > responding to his name, not playing peek-a-boo, and not waving or > clapping. Our pediatrican told us to keep on eye on him, since > testing couldn't be done until around 18 months old. At 17 months > old, I couldn't wait anymore. We went to a developmental > pediatrician who basically asked us a bunch of questions and told us > Cameron needed speech and OT. She did no testing with him. So, we > found another developmental pediatrician who met with us for an > hour, and scheduled two 1-hour testing sessions with Cameron. We've > had 1 testing session so far, and go back this week for the 2nd. She > already told us that based on her findings so far, that Cameron > falls in the PDD-NOS category for diagnosis. This was not a surprise > to us, but still difficult to actually hear the words. She said to > continue with the speech and OT, and recommended some home-based > intervention through the Monarch school or Cleveland Clinic Center > for Autism. Because of Cameron's age and less severe diagnosis, we > chose the Monarch school. They are coming out Monday to discuss > their services. > > I have great friends who love us like family, but they can't truly > understand what we are going through. We certainly know that things > could be a lot worse, and we are grateful that Cameron is fuctionig > at the level he is, but it is still hard to watch him try to > communicate, and not be able to. It is hard to see all of my > friend's kids talking and playing with toys appropriately, while > Cameron still makes baby noises and would rather open and close > cabinet doors than play. At his age, he can still get away with > some of the abormal behaviors and speech because people still think > it's "cute." But as he gets older, it becomes more apparent that he > is differnt than other kids. My husband and I find ourselves > feeling the need to "explain" what he has, so that other people > understand, and not just think, "what is wrong with that kid?" When > people know, they seem much more understanding and accepting of him. > We aren't sure that is the best way to handle this, but it's our way > and it seems to work for us. How did you all handle it when your > child was first diagnosed? Did you tell people, to help "explain" > the behaviors your kids were displaying, or did you wait for people > to ask, or did you just not say anything?> > Other than speech and OT, we are involved in Kindermusik and My Gym, > and have lots of play dates with our friends. Some days we are so > busy, I don't even have time to think about what we are going > through. Some days are bad, and it's all I can think about. So I > hope this group is a way to share those hard days, as well as the > triumphs we will have along the way.> > Thanks for reading this, and I hope to get to know you all soon!> > Laurie> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.>

Hi Laurie...and group,

I am happy to give you some info.

Noah has been on The GF/CF diet for over 8 years. He is now 10 and a half.

We noticed physical changes right away...severe excema completely cleared up and has been essentially gone ever since except for a few minor outbreaks and chronic loose stools/diahrea completely changed to normal stool after a short time. He was more connected and gave much better eye contact after about two weeks or so. Some language started emerging , but not a lot. He also stuck with tasks longer.

Those were the most significant changes.

We went to Barrie Galvin for years until he was in Kindergarten and then switched to intensive floortime and sensory work after school. I must disclose that I was on Barrie's non-profit board (GERCF) for several years. I am a big fan of the work they do at her center and feel they really understand the whole child when it comes to therapy. We have also done tlp(The listening program) since Noah was three.

I think Tom Taxman is a great doctor.

We have not been to him in years b/c thankfully that issue went away once Noah went on the diet.

Supplements...Noah has been on a ton.

Now he is on Cod Liver Oil, B complex(transdermally), Multivitamin.

I get everything from the Lee-Silsby Compounding Pharmacy.

Alan Israel is amazing and is known nationwide for his work with and understanding of our children.

If you want any info about homeopathy and HyperbaricOxygen Treatment we do that as well.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask anything.

I am happy to speak to you in person as well.

Take care,

Shari 440-449-9922Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Thank you for your reply! If I may ask, how long after you changed to the GF/CF diet did you notice a change in your daughter? Have you been seeing Dr. Taxman since your daughter was 18 months old, also? Do you think the supplements made a difference? We are seeing Barrie Galvin tomorrow for an OT eval; we had another OT before, but are changing for insurance reasons. Cameron is in speech at Barrie Galvin's and we love our therapist ().

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Laurie

From: strongsmom@...Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:00:50 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

Hi, Just wondering what type of Doctor is Dr. Taxman & what city is he located in? Thanks Tracey!!sharigoldberg22@... wrote: In a message dated 1/7/2008 3:05:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, strongsmom writes: Hi

Laurie,Reading your story brought back many memories, not very happy ones. However, through the years (and many miracle breakthroughs) it has all turned out for the good. I firmly believe in the power of true prayer. Ask for guidance each and every morning and night. Trust that guidance and move forward. You know your child and you know what is right. When we found out our daughter was on the spectrum (also at 18 months) we prayed and some really wonderful people came into our lives. She has been under Monarch Early Intervention home program since she was two; is with Middleburg Early Education in Middleburg Heights; does receive OT but you will find as your child changes your OT's will change--- Cheri Wojton of Sensory Connection and Barrie Galvin; Padula for Speech and (also changes with need); Paddy O'Flynn for Cranial Sacral therapy and Dr. Taxman for GI problems. Amazing, amazing

professionals within our community. She is also on the GF/CF diet. Dr. Taxman has also had her on supplements since she was 18 months-- fish oil, probiotics, and a supplement. She is truly a different child. She is amazing. Speech has come, play has come and she is closing the gap on her development (peds put her at 6 months behind). This is not about me but I don't want to worry about the future because you are moving and doing what is right. Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep praying, move forward and don't look back. Don't question. Don't compare. Just keep moving forward and have faith. Try not to spend too much time at the computer (ah-- sometimes until 3:00 am crying, etc from the author) it can also hurt you. In this community you are going to meet some amazing, and not so amazing, people who you will be truly blessed to know. Please post during those sad times-- it is good to know your not alone :-)

> Laurie <laurie4098@...> wrote:> Hi Everyone,> > My name is Laurie, and my husband and I live in Twinsburg with our > 19 month old son, Cameron. I am a pediatric nurse, and have been a > stay at home mom since Cameron was born. My husband is an > optometrist. Cameron was born healthy, and met his milestones as he > should have until about 10-11 months old, when I felt he was lacking > in some of his social communication; no pointing, not always > responding to his name, not playing peek-a-boo, and not waving or > clapping. Our pediatrican told us to keep on eye on him, since > testing couldn't be done until around 18 months old. At 17 months > old, I couldn't wait anymore. We went to a developmental > pediatrician who basically asked us a bunch of questions and told us > Cameron needed speech and OT. She did no testing with him. So, we >

found another developmental pediatrician who met with us for an > hour, and scheduled two 1-hour testing sessions with Cameron. We've > had 1 testing session so far, and go back this week for the 2nd. She > already told us that based on her findings so far, that Cameron > falls in the PDD-NOS category for diagnosis. This was not a surprise > to us, but still difficult to actually hear the words. She said to > continue with the speech and OT, and recommended some home-based > intervention through the Monarch school or Cleveland Clinic Center > for Autism. Because of Cameron's age and less severe diagnosis, we > chose the Monarch school. They are coming out Monday to discuss > their services. > > I have great friends who love us like family, but they can't truly > understand what we are going through. We certainly know that things > could be a lot worse, and we are

grateful that Cameron is fuctionig > at the level he is, but it is still hard to watch him try to > communicate, and not be able to. It is hard to see all of my > friend's kids talking and playing with toys appropriately, while > Cameron still makes baby noises and would rather open and close > cabinet doors than play. At his age, he can still get away with > some of the abormal behaviors and speech because people still think > it's "cute." But as he gets older, it becomes more apparent that he > is differnt than other kids. My husband and I find ourselves > feeling the need to "explain" what he has, so that other people > understand, and not just think, "what is wrong with that kid?" When > people know, they seem much more understanding and accepting of him. > We aren't sure that is the best way to handle this, but it's our way > and it seems to work for us. How did you all

handle it when your > child was first diagnosed? Did you tell people, to help "explain" > the behaviors your kids were displaying, or did you wait for people > to ask, or did you just not say anything?> > Other than speech and OT, we are involved in Kindermusik and My Gym, > and have lots of play dates with our friends. Some days we are so > busy, I don't even have time to think about what we are going > through. Some days are bad, and it's all I can think about. So I > hope this group is a way to share those hard days, as well as the > triumphs we will have along the way.> > Thanks for reading this, and I hope to get to know you all soon!> > Laurie> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Search.> Hi Laurie, Our family has had help over the past 8 years from almost everyone listed in the last posting. It is an incredible and much needed team approach. Take care, Shari Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Hi is a GI doc, and he's in Beachwood. (I think you can have follow-up appts. in Middleburg Hts., too)

From: jowca@...Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 22:39:56 -0800Subject: Re: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

Hi, Just wondering what type of Doctor is Dr. Taxman & what city is he located in?

Thanks Tracey!!sharigoldberg22aol wrote:

In a message dated 1/7/2008 3:05:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, strongsmom writes:

Hi Laurie,

Our family has had help over the past 8 years from almost everyone listed in the last posting.

It is an incredible and much needed team approach.

Take care,

Shari

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

He's on our plan (Kaiser/Emerald Health), and the's through Rainbow, so I imagine he's on more than a few plans.

Laurie

From: jackeee1002@...Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:28:13 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

Does Dr. Taxman take insurance? I am trying to check our coverage but the system is down right now. We have spent so much money with a DAN Dr. It would be nice if we were able to use our insurance. ThanksJacki

Thank-you very much!!laurie engel <laurie4098@...> wrote: He's on our plan (Kaiser/Emerald Health), and the's through Rainbow, so I imagine he's on more than a few plans. Laurie From: jackeee1002ameritech (DOT) netDate: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:28:13 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello! Does Dr. Taxman take

insurance? I am trying to check our coverage but the system is down right now. We have spent so much money with a DAN Dr. It would be nice if we were able to use our insurance. ThanksJacki

You're very welcome! We are going to see him Thursday; I'll let you know how it goes.

Laurie

From: jackeee1002@...Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:33:58 -0800Subject: RE: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

Thank-you very much!!laurie engel <laurie4098Hotmail> wrote:

He's on our plan (Kaiser/Emerald Health), and the's through Rainbow, so I imagine he's on more than a few plans. Laurie

From: jackeee1002ameritech (DOT) netDate: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:28:13 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

Does Dr. Taxman take insurance? I am trying to check our coverage but the system is down right now. We have spent so much money with a DAN Dr. It would be nice if we were able to use our insurance. ThanksJacki

I appreciate any information. I was able to get an appointment next week. Feel free to email me if you would like also. My email is jackeee1002@.... Thanks again!! Jackilaurie engel <laurie4098@...> wrote: You're very welcome! We are going to see him Thursday; I'll let you know how it goes. Laurie From: jackeee1002ameritech (DOT) netDate: Tue,

8 Jan 2008 15:33:58 -0800Subject: RE: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello! Thank-you very much!!laurie engel <laurie4098Hotmail> wrote: He's on our plan (Kaiser/Emerald Health), and the's through Rainbow, so I imagine he's on more than a few plans. Laurie From: jackeee1002ameritech (DOT) netDate: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:28:13 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello! Does Dr. Taxman take insurance? I am trying to check our coverage but the system is down right now. We have spent so much money with a DAN Dr. It would be nice if we were able to use our insurance.

ThanksJacki

Has anyone seen Dr. Roizen from Rainbow? She is a developmental pediatrician. We saw her last month and her report arrived in the mail today. I am very pleased with her. I feel like she really understood my son.

----- Original Message ----From: laurie engel <laurie4098@...> Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:25:27 PMSubject: RE: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

He's on our plan (Kaiser/Emerald Health), and the's through Rainbow, so I imagine he's on more than a few plans. Laurie

@group s.comFrom: jackeee1002@ ameritech. netDate: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:28:13 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

My son Marco is seen by Dr. Jane Holan who is also a developmental pediatrician at Rainbow. We just love her.rebecca <bec1974@...> wrote: Has anyone seen Dr. Roizen from Rainbow? She is a developmental pediatrician. We saw her last month and her report arrived in the mail today. I am very pleased with her. I feel like she really understood my son. ----- Original Message ----From: laurie engel <laurie4098Hotmail> Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:25:27 PMSubject: RE: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello! He's on our plan (Kaiser/Emerald Health), and the's through Rainbow, so I imagine he's on more than a few plans. Laurie @group s.comFrom: jackeee1002@ ameritech. netDate: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:28:13 +0000Subject: [ ] Re: New to Group- Hello! Does Dr. Taxman take insurance? I am trying to check our coverage but the system is down right now. We have spent so much money with a DAN Dr. It would be nice if we were able to use our insurance. ThanksJacki Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.