RemedySpot.com

Re: I am new here and need advice, please.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That was interesting about LEAPS in Avon Lake. I hadn't heard of the program there so I searched it. Thanks for asking, I'll share this with the group in case anyone else needs it.

As far as cost, this may be covered by the school system since it is in the district. You might have to look into it further to find out for sure. Let us know what you find.

Yours, n

In a message dated 2/18/08 10:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, tmmckenna@... writes:

dy style="background-color: #ffffff;"> We also live in Avon, our daughter just turned 5, she sounds similar to your daughter. There is the autism scholarship program for preschool families who opt out of using their school district's services (as we did). One plus (in my opinion) for Avon Lake is that their school district consults with the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism, which is probably one of the best programs around here, especially if you are a believer in ABA. I don't know if there are any Avon Lake families in this group, but this may also mean that if they continue to use the Cleveland Clinic's consulting, Avon Lake may appropriately handle children on the spectrum once they get into elementary school.

If you want further input from me feel free to contact me off list. Best of luck in your decision.

-----Original Message----- From: mrflaherty4 Sent: Feb 18, 2008 9:16 AM Subject: [ ] I am new here and need advice, please.

Hello, we are thinking of moving to Avon Lake, Oh this summer due to my husband being offered a job there. We are from Pittsburgh Pa. I just wandered if you can tell me about your wraparound services for your children, how your system works and who pays, maybe how much therapy costs, schools in the area that have good services for a 4 year old pdd-nos little girl. Our decision is highly depending on what they can offer us. I've been searching online, which is how I came across this group, which I am VERY grateful for. I came across the LEAPS program at Redwood elementary which looks terrific. Avon Lake looks like a pleasant community and it seems fairly close to Cleveland which may help being in a not so rural area where service may not be as plentiful. Anything that you can tell me about Ohio's services would be a huge help to me.

In Allegheny county where we are now medical assistance takes care of all therapy and wraparound (tss and bsc) services (where a therapist comes to your home and can go out in the community with the child, the bsc helps with the childs plan (iep) and coordinates all meetings) just in case they are called something different in your state. In the almost 2 years since our daughter's diagnosis we have not paid a penny. I do understand that ohio does not operate that way. I have also heard that since ohio's therapist's are paid by the clients they are VERY good and are certified in everything whereas here the tss's may just be someone who decided they wanted a career change and have little to no training, some are trained well but most are not. Our daughter is high functioning, she speaks, makes eye contact enjoys being around other kids just doesn't play directly with them (except for her brother) and has some sensory integration dysfunction issues just to give you a quick overview of what we are looking for. Please help us to make this tough decision! Thank you in a dvance for your input, it is grately appreciated.

Hello, I live in Avon which is very near Avon Lake. Both are in Lorain County. This Autism Group serves mostly Cuyahoga County but anyone can join and there is a lot of useful information from this group. Just know that not all of it applies to other counties. There is an Autism Group for Lorain County -- www.ncoc-asa.org. I can tell you my in-laws live in Avon Lake, and it is a very nice community. It is farther than you might expect from downtown Cleveland just b/c of the way the roads/freeways go. (this may be a consideration, as we drive far -- mostly to the east side of Cleveland -- for my son's services). I don't know much about their schools with respect to their special education programs, but the public school in general is very good. As far as services in general in Ohio, I'm sure

there are plenty of moms who can answer this question, but I'll take a first stab. My son has autism, and we use the Ohio Autism Scholarship (look at Ohio's Dept. of Ed. website) in lieu of the public school program. We pay out of pocket for services (preschool, OT, speech, and the like) in order to implement his IEP, and we get reimbursed from the state as long as we use certain approved providers (up to $20,000/year). There are more choices of providers in Cuyahoga county than Lorain County. Feel free to email me off-line if you have other questions. Eileen mrflaherty4 <mrmm4@...> wrote: Hello, we are thinking of moving to Avon Lake, Oh this summer due to my husband being offered a job there. We are from Pittsburgh Pa. I just wandered if you can tell me about your wraparound services for your children, how your system works and who pays, maybe how much therapy costs, schools in the area that have good services for a 4 year old pdd-nos little girl. Our decision is highly depending on what they can offer us. I've been searching online, which is how I came across this group, which I am VERY grateful for. I came across the LEAPS program at Redwood elementary which looks terrific. Avon Lake looks like a pleasant community and it seems fairly close to Cleveland which may help being in a not so rural area where service may not be as plentiful. Anything that you can

tell me about Ohio's services would be a huge help to me. In Allegheny county where we are now medical assistance takes care of all therapy and wraparound (tss and bsc) services (where a therapist comes to your home and can go out in the community with the child, the bsc helps with the childs plan (iep) and coordinates all meetings) just in case they are called something different in your state. In the almost 2 years since our daughter's diagnosis we have not paid a penny. I do understand that ohio does not operate that way. I have also heard that since ohio's therapist's are paid by the clients they are VERY good and are certified in everything whereas here the tss's may just be someone who decided they wanted a career change and have little to no training, some are trained well but most are not. Our daughter is high functioning, she speaks, makes eye contact enjoys being around other kids just doesn't play

directly with them (except for her brother) and has some sensory integration dysfunction issues just to give you a quick overview of what we are looking for. Please help us to make this tough decision! Thank you in advance for your input, it is grately appreciated.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will check out the website for Lorain. I also have not heard of the Ohio autism scholarship before either. I will look into both. thanks again.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 10:12 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] I am new here and need advice, please.

Hello,

I live in Avon which is very near Avon Lake. Both are in Lorain County. This Autism Group serves mostly Cuyahoga County but anyone can join and there is a lot of useful information from this group. Just know that not all of it applies to other counties. There is an Autism Group for Lorain County -- www.ncoc-asa.org.

I can tell you my in-laws live in Avon Lake, and it is a very nice community. It is farther than you might expect from downtown Cleveland just b/c of the way the roads/freeways go. (this may be a consideration, as we drive far -- mostly to the east side of Cleveland -- for my son's services). I don't know much about their schools with respect to their special education programs, but the public school in general is very good.

As far as services in general in Ohio, I'm sure there are plenty of moms who can answer this question, but I'll take a first stab. My son has autism, and we use the Ohio Autism Scholarship (look at Ohio's Dept. of Ed. website) in lieu of the public school program. We pay out of pocket for services (preschool, OT, speech, and the like) in order to implement his IEP, and we get reimbursed from the state as long as we use certain approved providers (up to $20,000/year). There are more choices of providers in Cuyahoga county than Lorain County.

Feel free to email me off-line if you have other questions.

Eileen

mrflaherty4 <mrmm4@...> wrote:

Hello, we are thinking of moving to Avon Lake, Oh this summer due to my husband being offered a job there. We are from Pittsburgh Pa. I just wandered if you can tell me about your wraparound services for your children, how your system works and who pays, maybe how much therapy costs, schools in the area that have good services for a 4 year old pdd-nos little girl. Our decision is highly depending on what they can offer us. I've been searching online, which is how I came across this group, which I am VERY grateful for. I came across the LEAPS program at Redwood elementary which looks terrific. Avon Lake looks like a pleasant community and it seems fairly close to Cleveland which may help being in a not so rural area where service may not be as plentiful. Anything that you can tell me about Ohio's services would be a huge help to me. In Allegheny county where we are now medical assistance takes care of all therapy and wraparound (tss and bsc) services (where a therapist comes to your home and can go out in the community with the child, the bsc helps with the childs plan (iep) and coordinates all meetings) just in case they are called something different in your state. In the almost 2 years since our daughter's diagnosis we have not paid a penny. I do understand that ohio does not operate that way. I have also heard that since ohio's therapist's are paid by the clients they are VERY good and are certified in everything whereas here the tss's may just be someone who decided they wanted a career change and have little to no training, some are trained well but most are not. Our daughter is high functioning, she speaks, makes eye contact enjoys being around other kids just doesn't play directly with them (except for her brother) and has some sensory integration dysfunction issues just to give you a quick overview of what we are looking for. Please help us to make this tough decision! Thank you in advance for your input, it is grately appreciated.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Thank you for your quick reply. I have not heard of the Ohio autism

scholorship before. I will definitely look into that and the autism

group in Lorain. Thanks again for your quick advice.

> Hello, we are thinking of moving to Avon Lake, Oh this

summer due to

> my husband being offered a job there. We are from Pittsburgh Pa. I

> just wandered if you can tell me about your wraparound services for

> your children, how your system works and who pays, maybe how much

> therapy costs, schools in the area that have good services for a 4

> year old pdd-nos little girl. Our decision is highly depending on

> what they can offer us. I've been searching online, which is how I

> came across this group, which I am VERY grateful for. I came across

> the LEAPS program at Redwood elementary which looks terrific. Avon

> Lake looks like a pleasant community and it seems fairly close to

> Cleveland which may help being in a not so rural area where service

> may not be as plentiful. Anything that you can tell me about Ohio's

> services would be a huge help to me.

>

> In Allegheny county where we are now medical assistance takes care

of

> all therapy and wraparound (tss and bsc) services (where a

therapist

> comes to your home and can go out in the community with the child,

> the bsc helps with the childs plan (iep) and coordinates all

> meetings) just in case they are called something different in your

> state. In the almost 2 years since our daughter's diagnosis we have

> not paid a penny. I do understand that ohio does not operate that

> way. I have also heard that since ohio's therapist's are paid by

the

> clients they are VERY good and are certified in everything whereas

> here the tss's may just be someone who decided they wanted a career

> change and have little to no training, some are trained well but

most

> are not. Our daughter is high functioning, she speaks, makes eye

> contact enjoys being around other kids just doesn't play directly

> with them (except for her brother) and has some sensory integration

> dysfunction issues just to give you a quick overview of what we are

> looking for. Please help us to make this tough decision! Thank you

> in advance for your input, it is grately appreciated.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile.

Try it now.

>

We also live in Avon, our daughter just turned 5, she sounds similar to your daughter. There is the autism scholarship program for preschool families who opt out of using their school district's services (as we did). One plus (in my opinion) for Avon Lake is that their school district consults with the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism, which is probably one of the best programs around here, especially if you are a believer in ABA. I don't know if there are any Avon Lake families in this group, but this may also mean that if they continue to use the Cleveland Clinic's consulting, Avon Lake may appropriately handle children on the spectrum once they get into elementary school.

If you want further input from me feel free to contact me off list. Best of luck in your decision.

-----Original Message----- From: mrflaherty4 Sent: Feb 18, 2008 9:16 AM Subject: [ ] I am new here and need advice, please.

Hello, we are thinking of moving to Avon Lake, Oh this summer due to my husband being offered a job there. We are from Pittsburgh Pa. I just wandered if you can tell me about your wraparound services for your children, how your system works and who pays, maybe how much therapy costs, schools in the area that have good services for a 4 year old pdd-nos little girl. Our decision is highly depending on what they can offer us. I've been searching online, which is how I came across this group, which I am VERY grateful for. I came across the LEAPS program at Redwood elementary which looks terrific. Avon Lake looks like a pleasant community and it seems fairly close to Cleveland which may help being in a not so rural area where service may not be as plentiful. Anything that you can tell me about Ohio's services would be a huge help to me. In Allegheny county where we are now medical assistance takes care of all therapy and wraparound (tss and bsc) services (where a therapist comes to your home and can go out in the community with the child, the bsc helps with the childs plan (iep) and coordinates all meetings) just in case they are called something different in your state. In the almost 2 years since our daughter's diagnosis we have not paid a penny. I do understand that ohio does not operate that way. I have also heard that since ohio's therapist's are paid by the clients they are VERY good and are certified in everything whereas here the tss's may just be someone who decided they wanted a career change and have little to no training, some are trained well but most are not. Our daughter is high functioning, she speaks, makes eye contact enjoys being around other kids just doesn't play directly with them (except for her brother) and has some sensory integration dysfunction issues just to give you a quick overview of what we are looking for. Please help us to make this tough decision! Thank you in advance for your input, it is grately appreciated.